• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I got spanked a few times as a kid, and while I don't think it's really negatively affected me, I can't say it ever helped anything.

possibly my parents came to that conclusion too, since as I said it only happened a few times.

So yeah, don't hit your kids.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Using violence as a tool for raising children used to be the way, but we used to do other fucked up things back then too

Lets try to keep on going forward

Jan 18, 2018
I'm not saying anyone should hit your child. I'm saying don't act smug because your 1 year old says thank you with this holier than thou "I guess it's just as easy as being a good parent, weird" attitude. You've barely even begun to see the affects of your parenting when your child is 1. There was heavy implications of "if your child isn't as good as mine then you're not as good a parent as me" in your post which is bullshit.

Nah, my kid gets on my nerves just like with any parent. My point is. You don't have to hit your kids for them to learn. Everyday i wonder if I'm doing this right. But i aint gonna hit my kids. Call it smug, maybe it is. But it's something i dont mind being smug about, my guy.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, my kid gets on my nerves just like with any parent. My point is. You don't have to hit your kids for them to learn. Everyday i wonder if I'm doing this right. But i aint gonna hit my kids. Call it smug, maybe it is. But it's something i dont mind being smug about, my guy.

Why do you keep thinking I'm advocating hitting your kid? All I said was that your simplified ideal of parenting was shitty. The "gee, maybe you should just set a good example and everything will be fine" part of your post specifically.

Jan 18, 2018
Why do you keep thinking I'm advocating hitting your kid? All I said was that your simplified ideal of parenting was shitty. The "gee, maybe you should just set a good example and everything will be fine" part of your post specifically.
Because thats what im saying this in response to. A guy bragging about hitting his kids. And you're coming against me for what reason?

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
The post you've just quoted literally lays out what part of your post I took issue with.

Dude, lay off, why the fuck are you taking issue with his experience of raising a child? His approach is perfectly valid and speaking as a parent, it works wonders, I have no clue why you would frame it as "shitty, simplified ideal of parenting". Who the fuck are you?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, lay off, why the fuck are you taking issue with his experience of raising a child? His approach is perfectly valid and speaking as a parent, it works wonders, I have no clue why you would frame it as "shitty, simplified ideal of parenting". Who the fuck are you?

The implication was that if you just set a good example then your child will turn out fine. That's a shitty implication and really simplifies the process of raising a child. The "it's just that easy" tone is bullshit. It's incredibly judgemental and implies that any child that isn't well behaved has parents who didn't set a good example.

Jan 18, 2018
The post you've just quoted literally lays out what part of your post I took issue with.
Lol
The implication was that if you just set a good example then your child will turn out fine. That's a shitty implication and really simplifies the process of raising a child. The "it's just that easy" tone is bullshit. It's incredibly judgemental and implies that any child that isn't well behaved has parents who didn't set a good example.

You read a lot into a quick post on resetera, im sorry ive made you feel so strongly in such a negative way. Let me clear the air for you so you can bother someone else. Children with good parents arent guaranteed to turn out fine, children with bad parents aren't guaranteed to be bad. Shit aint fuckin easy and i know it gets harder. This whole journey has been a challenge. I work all day in customer service for nopay in a neighborhood thats being gentrified serving mostly rich white people and rarely get time to rest or sleep. The time i get with my daughter i hold dear and i do my best to show her nothing but love. I take pride in the love that she shows and how we've taught her to express it. I know kids change. I know there are tons of ways to parent that are valid, but im speaking from my experience and never would i verbally or physically attack my kid. So if you want to take a few sentences and turn it into me saying "parenting is easy and all other parents arent as good as me" and then call me judgemental go for it.
But I really hope you can move on.
Please

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

This is not a good look for you.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You read a lot into a quick post on resetera, im sorry ive made you feel so strongly in such a negative way. Let me clear the air for you so you can bother someone else. Children with good parents arent guaranteed to turn out fine, children with bad parents aren't guaranteed to be bad. Shit aint fuckin easy and i know it gets harder. This whole journey has been a challenge. I work all day in customer service for nopay in a neighborhood thats being gentrified serving mostly rich white people and rarely get time to rest or sleep. The time i get with my daughter i hold dear and i do my best to show her nothing but love. I take pride in the love that she shows and how we've taught her to express it. I know kids change. I know there are tons of ways to parent that are valid, but im speaking from my experience and never would i verbally or physically attack my kid. So if you want to take a few sentences and turn it into me saying "parenting is easy and all other parents arent as good as me" and then call me judgemental go for it.
Please
You sound like a good father and good on you for being proud of raising someone that shows love to the world.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol

Please

Youre making me out to be angrier than I am. I explained in my very first post to you what issues I had with your post. The reason it's went on so long is because you and other decided to make it about me advocating hitting children for some reason. I never said you were a bad parent or implied anything close to it, just that the comment I specifically called out was shitty.

This is not a good look for you.

I fail to see how calling a judgemental comment someone made is a bad look. I called out a specific comment someone said, and was reaponded to several times by people misrepresenting what I said, so I clarified.

Jan 18, 2018
Youre making me out to be angrier than I am. I explained in my very first post to you what issues I had with your post. The reason it's went on so long is because you and other decided to make it about me advocating hitting children for some reason. I never said you were a bad parent or implied anything close to it, just that the comment I specifically called out was shitty.
Okay. Have a nice day

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Why is this so important to you, damn, let it go...

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
User Banned (2 Weeks): Ignoring Staff Post and Rationalizing Child Abuse
Growing up in Mexico, getting hit by your parents as punishment was pretty much the norm, everyone did it, i´m 40 btw. Times have changed, it's still widespread but in some places it's frowned upon, i have three kids myself and i have never laid a hand on them, ever, my wife has sometimes out of frustration, nothing too bad, maybe a slap.

Depending on how you hit them i don't think it's that bad but i'd never do it. There are worse things you can do to a kid than hitting them (as long as it's not too violent). verbal abuse is much much worse IMO.