• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Wow. What a plot twist. I thought he wanted to say that he regretted it. And next he said "ill do it again"??????? In my country you can get lifetime jail without parole or pardon

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If your children make you upset, give them the middle finger when their back is turned. It let's off steam and they don't know they got dissed.

I don't know how many generations it's going to take for spanking being wrong gets widespread acceptance. It's proven to be detrimental no matter how anyone feels.

Oct 26, 2017
"I was beaten as a child and It did me no harm" Say people who think it's fine to beat children. News flash, If you think striking children is okay, then being struck as a child did actually harm you.

I can appreciate how frustrating bringing up children can be but if your only solution is to beat them into obedience then you've failed as a parent.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The smacking is an absolute no go, but I feel like the "little fuckers" thing is 100% context.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
What about a lightly applied figure four leg lock or sharpshooter? How bout that?

Oct 26, 2017
Also, isn't Martin freeman a known cunt? I seem to recall hearing he made some pretty vile remarks about Lucy Liu and expressed racist views before.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This is one of those threads that's good to look at whenever some calls Era a "progressive hivemend." Meanwhile we need a staff post telling people it's not OK to advocate for beating the smallest, weakest, most powerless people on the planet just to show them who's boss.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Like I'm not for spanking kids, in anyway... but this thread is a bit, well, ehhhh.
You lot come across as perfect parents

it doesn't take "perfection" to not smack or hit people in your every day life. I would gather you or most people here don't smack your co workers if they've done something wrong, don't smack your pets if they aren't listening to you, don't smack the guy on the bus playing his music too loud, so why does applying that same level of logic or restraint to children require perfection to you? That's warped.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hit my kids.

I feel like you can get the same results by just yelling at them or taking something away.

But these pile on threads on celebrities saying or admitting to dumb things is annoying.

There are a lot of things I don't like to see parents do that is just not limited to hitting kids, but its gets personal and uncomfortable if you start to criticize parents who just leave their kids in front of an iPad all day or don't do a good job teaching them basic skills.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Every parent makes mistakes but there's a difference in a mistake and defending plus perpetuating behavior that's been proven ineffective and damaging.

"Like I'm not for giving kids toys with lead paint but this thread is a bit, well, ehhh. You lot come across and perfect parents."

Same thing. It's damaging. Maybe at some point people thought it was fine and at that time I don't overly blame them or think they're monsters for doing it but now is not that time. We know better so we can be better.
Exactly right. We are human. Parents get frustrated and make mistakes. No one is perfect. The important thing is to realize it was a mistake.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Exactly right. We are human. Parents get frustrated and make mistakes. No one is perfect. The important thing is to realize it was a mistake.

if i lost my patience with a client at work and hit them i would lose my job. if i lost my patience with a coworker and hit them i would get charged with assault. if i lost patience with my cat and hit it i would get charged with animal cruelty.

if you lose patience with your child and hit them, you have assaulted them and deserve to be punished under the law.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
"I'll do it again"

publically announcing that you will physically abuse your children without any legal repercussion... another perk or being a rich male white I guess?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
i'll never understand hitting kids, it's just not right

That's just you failing as a parent and taking your anger out on your kids because you're stressed. Kids really are little fuckers, but they didn't ask to be born and to deal with this shit ass world, it's your job to be strong for them.

I did this to my oldest daughter when she was 2. I felt awful, but somehow she had gotten a plug cover off of a wall outlet and I walked into the room just as she went to try and stick a hairpin into it.

I lunged at her and swung hard enough to knock her 3-4 feet to my left.

I felt so bad, but I was attempting to save her and it was all instinctive/no thinking reaction.

Yes, this is natural though. Just on Saturday my 2 year old was standing on my bed and fell backwards and was gonna smash her head on the title so i kicked her in the ass (I was laying down) hard enough to shoot her back on the bed so she didn't get too hurt and even that made her cry and I can't imagine purposely doing that to her just because I was mad at her and not trying to prevent her from smashing her soft lil skull in.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'm assuming if they're a massive shit or playing with fire (literally). I wouldn't do it myself but I suppose you'd smack a toddler's hand if they were trying to stick it into a power socket?

I did this to my oldest daughter when she was 2. I felt awful, but somehow she had gotten a plug cover off of a wall outlet and I walked into the room just as she went to try and stick a hairpin into it.

I lunged at her and swung hard enough to knock her 3-4 feet to my left.

I felt so bad, but I was attempting to save her and it was all instinctive/no thinking reaction.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because I suggested beating my child.

Maybe I made my point poorly but some people in this thread seem to think that any kind of hitting or grabbing even when the child is in mortal danger or at risk of harming themselves is a bad thing.

If my child is about to walk into traffic or jam a fork where it doesn't belong I'll be using whatever force is necessary to remove that risk of harm.

I know you're banned but, Jesus, how much force do you think is needed to stop a toddler from walking forward?

And if your kid is in a situation that has escalated to mortal danger, where the hell are you that whole time?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every time I hear something new about Martin Freeman, it's just some new level of his shittiness.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
In this day and age, I can see no reason for beating your children. Even if they piss you off and you think they are a little monsters, don't hit your kids.

Someone mentioned that yes, it is more work to use other forms of discipline, but that is your job as a parent.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
There are so many ways to discipline a child, but they all require patience. Except smacking. Its shameful. Parents that do this are thinking more about themselves then what is best for the child.

Maybe its a cultural thing with him, that's why he does not thin its a big deal? I honestly don't know. it does seem weird he thinks its so commom.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
American. I was spanked a few times as a kid (by either a wooden spoon, or an old paintbrush lol.) Can't say it had any kind of lasting impact on me. I don't think it was abuse, it didn't make me a violent person, it didn't make me suspicious of authority, scared of my parents, any of that stuff. Also don't think it was a particularly effective form of discipline since obviously I continued to act up, hence it happening more than once.

Now I am a parent and my wife and I agree we do not physically punish our children. Kids can be incredibly frustrating. That's why it's important to decide ahead of time to completely eliminate corporal punishment. If it's treated as a break glass in case of emergency last resort, guess what, you're gonna lose your temper and slap your kid without thinking it through.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
People who hit thier kids are angry people that lack self control and maturity. It's such a terrible message to send your kid that if someone is disagreeable, you hit them. He sounds like a major asshole.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean he's always seemed like a gigantic cunt to me but this is still pretty shocking. Horrible man

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those threads that's good to look at whenever some calls Era a "progressive hivemend." Meanwhile we need a staff post telling people it's not OK to advocate for beating the smallest, weakest, most powerless people on the planet just to show them who's boss.
This is hardly the only topic where this gets revealed. It is always a little surprising (and very disturbing) how eager some people are to endorse hitting children, and the relish with which they describe doing so.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Until more countries outright make it illegal and enforce the law, I doubt the attitude will change soon on hitting kids being too personal of a culture and personal thing for others to comment on

i also feel it's one of those things others are afraid to call out because of cultural differences. I know in classes ive had, it becomes a race thing

white kids are too hesitant to call out POCs who think its okay to hit kids, while "time outs" are openly mocked as a sign of bad liberal parenting or "white parenting"

russel peters has an entire bit on this and i know it shaped and reinforced the perception a lot here in toronto.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Every time in these threads. At least it is bannable these days to advocate child abuse, as someone who suffered a great deal of "corporal punishment" and did not "turn out okay," I appreciate that.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that corporal punishment has been studied extensively and has repeatedly be shown to be both ineffective and incapable of actually bringing about good outcomes while also having a whole host of negative outcomes

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Martin always came off like an asshole, but a child abuser? That's a new low.

And HOLY FUCKING SHIT at the people here excusing this shit...

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every time in these threads. At least it is bannable these days to advocate child abuse, as someone who suffered a great deal of "corporal punishment" and did not "turn out okay," I appreciate that.

I have never hit my child, and whaddya know, she is turning out great.
Yeah it's honestly fucking disgusting how some people bend over backwards to excuse this stuff

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I hate when people say things like "my parents hit me and I turned out fine, I don't hate them"

You might not resent them but you didn't turn out fine, people who say this are always assholes and usually some sort of bigot too.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with physical discipline is that once you start there eventually the child will push those limits. What is the next step after spanking? Some children are worse behaved then others, but I have yet to come across a child that cannot at some level be reasoned with. It just takes time, effort, and a lot of patience which situationally many parents find themselves lacking when discipline is delivered.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when people say things like "my parents hit me and I turned out fine, I don't hate them"

You might not resent them but you didn't turn out fine, people who say this are always assholes and usually some sort of bigot too.
Hitting kids is archaic and should be left in the past but this kind of generalization is ridiculous, what does bigotry have anything to do with this

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
People who hit thier kids are angry people that lack self control and maturity. It's such a terrible message to send your kid that if someone is disagreeable, you hit them. He sounds like a major asshole.
This is not always true. Many people just believe that spanking is an acceptable punishment for bad behaviour in children. It has nothing to do with anger or self control.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"but I turned out fine!"
It's an issue where "turned out fine" is usually only using incredibly surface level observations to define it, people not wanting to accept their parents who they love were pretty shitty at what raising them (or worse, that they themselves are shitty parents), and ignoring that even if not every kid who is spanked ends up poorly, the fact that many do end up worse and all studies have shown that it's ineffective at improving outcomes. It's like people saying it's fine to give your kids cigarettes because not all of them die young of lung cancer, ignoring the host of other issues that might crop up because of the smoking habits they're likely to have, and that even for the kids that miraculously manage to avoid becoming lifelong smokers nobody is actually better off for the decision

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is not always true. Many people just believe that spanking is an acceptable punishment for bad behaviour in children. It has nothing to do with anger or self control.
Yeah, many of them are just straight up ignorant (it doesn't help that the idea that the bible straight up advocates for physical punishment and people unfortunately tend to put more weight on religion than actual facts and evidence)

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Don't hit your kids. Take a minute, leave the room and take a quick breath if you can. I have a two year old. I have a "scream-towel" I use every once in a while in the bathroom. For me...not my kid.

Hitting your kid really isn't teaching them anything positive. It's teaching them to be afraid of their parent. Then that might turn into them intentional hiding stuff from you at a later age because they are afraid the the repercussions.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't hit your kids. Take a minute, leave the room and take a quick breath if you can. I have a two year old. I have a "scream-towel" I use every once in a while in the bathroom. For me...not my kid.

Hitting your kid really isn't teaching them anything positive. It's teaching them to be afraid of their parent. Then that might turn into them intentional hiding stuff from you at a later age because they are afraid the the repercussions.
It's also teaching them the idea that enforcing violence on others is a smart way to get them to do what you want