• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I'm proposing to my partner in two days. The event is all planned out and things seem to be going smoothly, but I have no idea what I'm going to say. It seems silly, we've been dating for like 7 years and living together for 3, I should know what to say. But all I can come up with seems like just an overview of our relationship, which are essentially the reasons I want to be with her. I don't know maybe I'm overthinking it, trying to be all clever like I'm writing a pop song. Any tips?

Do you remember what you said when you proposed/heard when proposed to?

Bonus: share your remarkable proposal events like Red Lobster or even PF Changs

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on making a big showy proposal, but I had to order my ring online.

By the time I got the ring, and held it in my hand, I knew I'd never be able to keep it a secret... I went straight from the mail box, to my wife who was playing WoW and I proposed to her right then.

I honestly couldn't remember what words I said, but I do remember crying a lot, but my wife said yes so I must not have fucked it up too bad.

Fun side effect, my guild mates knew before either of our parents.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Just say what's in your heart, the wedding can be more written out vows wise. Worked for me. I did the public proposal, but she had been dropping strong hints so I knew I was safe. Good luck.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I had Andy and Nick from Kinda Funny help me make a proposal video disguised as a KF/AF episode that we planned out. My fiance was very confused at first, but said 'yes' in the moment, so it all worked out, lol.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I proposed (with consent) to my partner in the Haunted Mansion ride at Disney World.

So this is what they actual heard while I held the engagement ring towards them.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I proposed to my wife a little over 11 years ago and while I kind of remember the gist of what I said I don't remember exactly what was said. A few years ago I my wife had what she remembered and she said does not remember a single word. The important thing is that you tell them you love them and want to spend the rest of your life together, those are the words that matter the most.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I had a long-term plan to propose to my partner, but then they went and proposed to me on a celebration of the anniversary of our first date - apparently they had a plan to propose later at a concert we had tickets for, but it slipped out early:

"We should get married."

"…Are you proposing to me?!"

"I guess I am."

I said yes, had a laugh, explained that I had been working on a plan to do it. They then told me about their plan.

We've had to postpone the wedding twice because of Covid, but we're planning to get our wedding license in a few weeks.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know what I said but it was very hard for me to keep it a secret so I put it in a bag of cheetos and stapled it back shut to hide the ring.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It was our anniversary of our first date, and I said we should go to the coffee shop where we met. I waited until we got to the exact spot where I first laid eyes on her, and said something to the effect of "I saw this cute brown haired girl waiting at this exact spot 2 years ago, and knew then that we would be back here in the future for this moment". Got on my knee, proposed, she said yes, and it immediately started to rain. It was pretty perfect.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
She took a long trip to see me when I was living in a different place and on the morning when she was getting ready to go I said "It would be nice if we could just stay together like this all the time, wouldn't it?" and she said "Yeah" and I said "So, do you want to get married?" and she smiled and said "Yeah, alright".

That was about 14 years ago, we have been married for 13 this year.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
We never dated but we were close friends for a long time. I asked her if she wanted to get married while we were on her mom's couch and she said "sure, why not." We've been married 12 years this year and she still feels like a friend. It's been freaking amazing.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Totally unplanned. Just laying down getting ready for bed one night...

"we should get married."
"Are you serious?"
"Yes."
"Okay!"

Happily married for almost 16 years now.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Had a Vegas trip planned and figured if not then, never. Bought a ring, kept it a secret for months somehow. When we arrived to our room I asked her to come and see the view from our hotel balcony, showed her the ring and asked.

Also we just got married a week ago, still 4 days of the honeymoon left.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I was learning Swedish at the time and I asked her in Swedish, Japanese (my native language) and got on one knee and asked "Will you marry me?" in English.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I had planned to tell her what she means to me and explain why I had waited and all that, but I started floundering as she realized what was happening so I just knelt and popped the question.

If you're wanting to give a mini-speech I suggest thinking it through and maybe practicing. I wouldn't suggest winging it like I did. Keep it short.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got engaged 2 weeks ago! Good luck. When I asked I was gonna say a laundry list of things I love about her, but just panicked because the moment was happening and forgot to say 90% of it. Tell them how you feel and that's all you need to do.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Took my girl to the OC Fair and planned to propose on the Ferris Wheel. Her cousins helped with a giant banner that when we were at the top of the wheel, she would be able to look down and see the sign. Of course she said "yes" and a large crowd of people gathered to congratulate us.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on making a big showy proposal, but I had to order my ring online.

By the time I got the ring, and held it in my hand, I knew I'd never be able to keep it a secret... I went straight from the mail box, to my wife who was playing WoW and I proposed to her right then.

I honestly couldn't remember what words I said, but I do remember crying a lot, but my wife said yes so I must not have fucked it up too bad.

Fun side effect, my guild mates knew before either of our parents.

This is a sweet story!

Jan 23, 2022
I don't remember at all how we decided to get engaged, only that it wasn't to go beyond that. But when I realized how nice it would look to get married after 10 years together, 5 years as engaged, and at exactly 25 & 30 years old I randomly asked if she wanted to actually go the full way and she accepted when I had explained the process and my mindset. So next year it will be 15 years together, 10 years as engaged, and 5 years as married.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Ok, thank you for all the replies... So it seems by and large that the details of the speech of this moment often isn't remembered. Short, sweet, sincere. Ok. I can do this.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I took my wife to Fraser Island and we did a hike to a secluded lake near the middle of the island (about 2-3 hours each way). Once there I proposed to her using a message in a bottle. I can't remember my exact words but I do remember a lot of tears on both sides. Honestly I'm pretty sure we both knew we were going to spend our lives together within weeks of dating so it didn't feel like a huge step.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
this is gonna probably sound really lame but i proposed to my husband while we were playing minecraft. he was strip mining and i put up a sign at the entrance that read "will you marry me?". he said yes and we tied the knot a year later.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm proposing to my partner in two days.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. The fact you've been together so long and are living together obviously means you are both good for each other... Don't over think it, only four words are needed.

My proposal was spontaneous, so no planned speach, or ring. We were on a walk in the middle of Dartmoor, and we reached a particularly beautiful place, and I just kissed her and asked the question. We had been together for four years and had bought a house together, so I was confident of the answer.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Good luck and just say what you feel and try to make it light. Doesn't have to be prose or super fancy. My good friend spent a bit of $$$ catered a fancy meal and hired a string band to set the mood before dropping on one knee livestreaming the event on FB to all their friends and relatives. Thankfully she said yes otherwise that could have been enough for multiple lifetimes of shame. For me I just brought the ring during a vacation and waited for a good quiet moment before dropping on one knee and just spoke the 4 words while looking into her eyes.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Good luck OP! You'll be fine - you don't need to prepare a speech or anything beforehand, let the words come from your heart.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. The fact you've been together so long and are living together obviously means you are both good for each other... Don't over think it, only four words are needed.

My proposal was spontaneous, so no planned speach, or ring. We were on a walk in the middle of Dartmoor, and we reached a particularly beautiful place, and I just kissed her and asked the question. We had been together for four years and had bought a house together, so I was confident of the answer.

Agreed with everything you've said here.

I proposed to my girlfriend in a similar fashion as well 2 months ago. We had already been living together for years and dating for many more so I knew she'd say yes.

It also helped that I proposed to her on New Years Eve, which was the day I first asked her out. I kept mine very simple - went to downtown Chicago, ate at a fancy seafood place and then took her to a private spot on the Chicago riverwalk where I got down on one knee and popped the question.

It was simple for us but she loved it.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The day I asked her my now wife jokingly nagged me for not asking her to marry her after out first child was born. Said something like "guess you never ask and that's OK for me" she said.

We missed my planned proposal a week earlier because we had to cancel a trip due to a stomach bug.

I originally wanted to propose to her on her birthday as this was coming up, but while she joked about never getting married I climbed on a chair and got the ring out of the secret stash and proposed to her on the spot.

It worked out.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I played David Bowie's "Be My Wife" but the Borat remix

It wasn't a surprise for us, we shopped for the ring together, even had it shipped to us when we were gonna be on vacation, so she knew it was coming

Cinco

Oct 27, 2017
I proposed while we were playing online poker over zoom with her family. I won a big hand and said I had something to say. She started laughing because she thought I was about to start talking shit about poker lol. Told her she was my best friend, the love of my life and her cancer diagnosis didn't mean shit to me (something she was worried about constantly) and I couldn't see myself with anyone else ever again. Got down on one knee, pulled the ring out of my gym shorts and asked her to marry me.

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
We were on vacation and a couple times during the trip I pretended like I'd lost my train of thought and said "there was something I was going to ask you…guess it'll come back to me".

On the second to last morning of the trip we did a sunrise hike, barely made it to the top of the trail before sunrise and I was trying to dig through my bag to get the ring out and just as I was ready to get down on one knee, she walked to the edge of the platform we were standing on and sat down. So I'm like "uh where are you going" to which she replied "to watch the sunrise…?" So I went and sat next to her, as the sun is coming up I turned to her and said "I remembered what I was going to ask you" with the ring box in my hand, took her a second to turn and look at me and realized what was happening and burst into tears and started asking me a million questions; how long have you had the ring, when did you get it from me parents (family heirloom), etc.

That went on for like a minute until she realized I hadnt ACTUALLY asked the question yet, and then I just kinda stuttered/mumbled "will you marry me?"

Definitely don't overthink it. You can write out a big speech/vows for the wedding ceremony.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
We just came back from Pizza Hut and I was clapping a pussy in my underwear and pulled the ring from behinds it ass and said would you?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding me? We are siblings, it is not possible.
j/k

We talked about marriage before, about us, having kids etc.
A year later I did the most cliche thing during a city trip. Fancy restaurant, violinists coming out, me kneeling down etc. Simply said: "Will you marry me."
She said yes.

No speech needed OP. You'll be nervous enough anyway. Keep that part simple.

May 3, 2018
No idea. Everything I thought I'd say went out of my head the very second I tried to propose. Absolute blank slate. I was improvising out there. All I got out is that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with them and that I loved them. Apparently it was good enough!

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
No idea. Everything I thought I'd say went out of my head the very second I tried to propose. Absolute blank slate. I was improvising out there. All I got out is that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with them and that I loved them. Apparently it was good enough!
Ok, so yeah the overarching theme here is "doesnt really matter in the long run, do it from your heart." ok. Thanks again everyone.

We just came back from Pizza Hut and I was clapping a pussy in my underwear and pulled the ring from behinds it ass and said would you?
wait what

Oct 29, 2017
Rented a place in Door County, WI after my spring semester concluded, we hiked and visited wineries and antique shops, and after arriving back from dinner the last night we were there, I got on my knee and proposed. Don't remember what exactly I said, it was all improvised on the spot, but she said yes, and we've been married for almost four years now.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
Me: "Do you want to marry me?"
Wife: "Well of course yes!"

Happily married for 18 years this june, together for 24 years.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I had been discussing it and I told her I wasn't ready. About a week later, we were drunk at a party, she said "we should just get married," I said "yeah aight," and that was that. 11 years later we're still best friends and have an amazing marriage. Boring, I know. We had only been together for a few months, but had been friends for years prior. We were weird. We moved in together after…2-3 weeks and engaged at like…4 months? Married at ~10 months? It's really a miracle we still like each other with that little dating time.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I proposed last year. Nothing extravagant. But I had to make sure she was with her closest friends, childhood crew, etc. So before we went out for the evening, I just had them all set up for pictures, like do before you go out, but then I transitioned into a super short summary of how happy I am, and how long we've been together and marriage ain't a scary thing because nothing should change, we only keep growing. The main thing was, to her, it was her people with her that was the most important, and I got that. Then she could show off the ring the rest of the night.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I put the engagement ring on a mini cake. She didn't understand immediately until the kneel.

Hugged me immediately, but she didn't answer for a few minutes. She was just taken aback.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I proposed last year. Nothing extravagant. But I had to make sure she was with her closest friends, childhood crew, etc. So before we went out for the evening, I just had them all set up for pictures, like do before you go out, but then I transitioned into a super short summary of how happy I am, and how long we've been together and marriage ain't a scary thing because nothing should change, we only keep growing. The main thing was, to her, it was her people with her that was the most important, and I got that. Then she could show off the ring the rest of the night.
Yeah the evening is planned in a way that involves all our closest friends and our parents, they'll be there to surprise her after I propose.

I'm confused. Why is this called "Kiss Me - There She Goes Version" ?

Isn't the movie 'She's All That' ?
I was wondering about the naming convention here, too. I can't tell if I really miss 90s music vids like this or if I just miss my childhood.