• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Nah. Really reminded me of my divorce and I'm sure you'll see yourself in it. It's really a great movie and anyone who's been through divorce it's pretty on point.

My divorce was turbulent as hell and didn't have the money my wife and her family did and I finally Conceded on everything. Walked away with zippo. 8 years later my ex and I are friends and we never follow our decree. I don't even remember what it was, so yeah...

Thanks for the info! I think I'll give it a watch tonight then.

I am still slightly sensitive to certain types of imagery/situations in movies but it's gotten better over the years. I made the mistake of watching Blue Valentine a while back and it made me ill.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing film, when he was critiquing her performance in the beginning and she said something like she just didn't have the emotion then as soon as she went past the doorway broke down in tears really hit me, said so much about both their personalities.

Just finished it. That argument scene. Fuck.

It's crazy how real it felt, I've been in that situation once in my life and I said some things I really shouldn't have, think about it with regret all the time. Crazy how things can escalate so quickly.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Outstanding movie. Driver and Scarjo in that apartment scene, good lord

Hopefully this film helps get the crazy idea that Scarlett's a bad actress out of a big portion of this forum's heads.

Every now and then I see someone say that, and it pisses me off at how dumb it is lol

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Scarlett was fantastic, but my god, Adam Driver. The argument and the god damn singing scene blew me away.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm floored by Adam and ScarJo's performances.

The last scene was Charlie reading her letter was heartbreaking, my god.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone on Twitter hating on this movie(especially ScarJo) and it's acting? I haven't seen it.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Just watched it. It was beautiful. I don't know if I'm as over the moon with it as others, but it certainly was beautiful in every way. Had to think of Scenes from a Marriage immediately, and I liked the explicit nod to it. However, considering the similarities between the two, I keep thinking of how I was and am in love with Scenes from a Marriage, and 'only' thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Something isn't connecting a 100%, even though this is exactly the kind of movie I love. I'll probably watch it again sometime soon, now that I know what the movie is and isn't.

Also, even though Laura Dern, Ray Liotta and Alan Alda were really great in their roles, I might've enjoyed it even more if they'd just focused on Charlie, Nicole and Henry.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
Watched it last night. I loved it from start to finish.
The shots of them closing the gate fucking destroyed me.

Oct 26, 2017
Watching this while imagining Charlie as a reformed Kylo Ren, hoping it delivers

OH MY GOD RICH FULTER WAS THE JUDGE HAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie was just mediocre, IMO. The acting was great, though personally I was bored by Scarlett's monologues. The writing however left a lot to be desired. The humor fell flat in most occasions, and I'm really not big on characters in a drama breaking out in a song or dance.

At this point a story about divorce needs to tread new ground, IMO. This was pretty milquetoast all things considered.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

I've had that shit on loop since yesterday.

BEING ALIIIIIIIIIIVE

Congrats to Adam Driver for being the first actor in a 2019 release to pierce my petrified heart and make me tear up. It's been stuck in my head for the past week. And I watched Girls, so it's not like his being capable of this caught me off guard. Glad they didn't cut back to the rest of the group afterwards. Their silence perfectly communicated how moved and blown away they were, just like the rest of us.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing movie, I love how the movie made you have empathy and hate for both characters almost equally

I don't think I breathed during that argument scene

Basically the equivalent of seeing every argument my parents ever had with each other (that was spread out over two decades), suddenly unloaded all at once condensed into one big near-10-minute vent session you can't escape or look away from

I felt the exact same way, I still don't know if I started crying because I felt for both characters or because it hit way too close home

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching Lincoln and Driver's cyborg voice outside of SW is hilarious. I'll try to watch this though. :)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some weird snide shit directed at this movie on Twitter, enough where it feels like it's a thing. Priscilla Page talked a bit about this:

The second is more my point about snide shit, I saw that same video with a bunch of comments talking about how "people think yelling is good acting" and other hoity toity garbage like that. Making me lose my goddamn mind up in here.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think is a good idea to watch this right now due to my emotional state lol

But I'll sure give it a go when the moment comes.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've seen some weird snide shit directed at this movie on Twitter, enough where it feels like it's a thing. Priscilla Page talked a bit about this:

The second is more my point about snide shit, I saw that same video with a bunch of comments talking about how "people think yelling is good acting" and other hoity toity garbage like that. Making me lose my goddamn mind up in here.

Yeah, the Twitter take machine has churned out some real dogshit opinions on this. It's fine to not like the movie but the people clowning on that scene with zero context did not come into it with basically an entire movie of buildup beforehand.

It's one of the consequences of prestige films dropping on Netflix, you have the entire internet watching it/reading about it at the same time.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i thought this was gonna be more...visceral. i dunno, i still much prefer baumbach the writer as opposed to director.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Well this was the fastest two hours that went by in a long time

Fantastic film and stellar performances

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw this. Give Driver that Oscar. The knife scene really got me. I didn't find it funny as some others did. I saw it as him still trying to keep his son out of the conflict even though he's already in it.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed this movie but really don't think it was better than Irishman for me. Stilll great performances by Adam driver mostly and SJO was great too.

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the performances in this.

Did anyone else keep referring to their son as "Wells for Boys"? I doubt the overlap between the audience for this and for SNL is just me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Woooooooo that was emotional.

Scarjo and Driver are so good. So good. That beginning was great, and I would compare it to the start of Up. The emotion from them was so real. Scarjo just dropping tears in innocuous occasions and it was rough.
The ending circling back to the things she liked about Charlie that she didn't want to say during the therapist. Woooooooooo boy.

A good bittersweet ending.

Charlie singing at the diner wasn't as good as the Leftovers version. But then again, there was way more build up in the Leftovers. /needless comparison

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got around to seeing the film and thought it was alright. Well acted. Nicely shot. And as an attorney, I really appreciated the authenticity to the legal aspect of the whole thing. I'm not a family law attorney, but I know enough that all the terminology was correct. And the little things to, like how a law office looks like to how a court house looks like.

My only gripe with the film has more to do with my expectations than the end result. I wanted a film that portrayed a more fair divorce, as in neither side truly being at fault; both sides having reasonable demands and reasons for wanting to divorce and fighting over custody. However, the film paints Charlie as too much in the wrong. While ScarJo isn't blameless and you can see why Charlie is also done with her, Charlie is still painted as too much of the bad guy. He controlled her life. He cheated on her. Now, understandably they were basically broken up at this point, but they were still married and living together and introducing infidelity just makes Charlie look worse.

Still, even worse is his treatment of his child. It's just impossible for anyone to agree that Charlie should have custody of his kid in NY. His mother is in La. His grandmother is in LA. His aunt. His cousins. He then further reveals to his dad he likes it in LA. He likes to school better and he has better friends there. Yet, Charlie is stuck in his, "I must have son with me" even though he can't look after Charlie by himself and run his production company. He comes off as completely selfish and controlling. Which, yeah, is exactly why ScarJo left him. But again, I wanted more of a fair, nuanced split than one side being worse.

Obviously, Charlie comes around by the end and sees sense, but he's still revealed at that point to be more at blame for everything. This leads to my last "complaint." Again, not really a complaint since it seems intentional, just not what I expected. And that's the fact that Charlie completely takes over the film. The film starts Nicole dictating events and following her around as she navigates this divorce. Then we switch to Charlie and it seems as though the film will be evenly split between the two. Yet, the opposite happens. Charlie soon dominates the picture as we spend more and more time with him, documenting his failures, his inability to let go of control, and fight to retain full custody of Henry. Like the controlling director his character is, he completely takes over control of the film leading right to the ending where he performs a musical number, all by himself, right to the camera.

I feel this is rightly intentional. And as someone that wanted a more "fair" portrayal of a divorce, I was let down. Still good film.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Watched it the other day with the girlfriend, quite an amazing movie, specially the performances. We both loved it and found some stuff we could use to improve outr communication.

Really good stuff

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every scene with Adam and his son made me want to throw up, he's trying so fucking hard but the little shit is a kid, he doesn't get what's going on? It's heartbreaking, just that rejection eats at me.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Watched it the other day with the girlfriend, quite an amazing movie, specially the performances. We both loved it and found some stuff we could use to improve outr communication.

Really good stuff

That's one of the things I really liked about the movie, thinking about what reminds me of my own relationship and how I can improve.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished this up and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Driver was phenomenal and he shows such a range here. He completely code switches when he is talking to different people throughout the movie, his whole behavior so obviously changes it is really fascinating to watch.

In a 15 minute span he hops from the argument in the apartment to the singing scene in New York to reading the letter that ScarJo wrote at the beginning.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got time to watch this and was as good as I expected. I do wish the different events the both parents had to do during the divorce were shown, I also feel like the characters could have had a scene at the end where they show their regrets. Though I guess that is how it is in real life, people just move on and not really visit such topics. Charlie was selfish in NY (we are told, it never really is shown), but the whole LA thing seemed planned by Nichole and that is selfish too.

Driver is such a good actor with range and Johansson showed she can have range too. That long shot of her meeting the lawyer was fantastic.

If the movie was supposed to be a commentary the human aspects of divorce and the legal system, I feel that there should be more of a book-end to it's portrayal of stereotypes of divorce and the legal system. If anything, the movie is just telling people to talk to their spouse. Though, Charlie's character might not of ever left NY without having all the events happen, I feel ultimately it is a happy ending because Nicole and the viewer learn that his son would be worth it.

Edit: Johansson.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got time to watch this and was as good as I expected. I do wish the different events the both parents had to do during the divorce were shown, I also feel like the characters could have had a scene at the end where they show their regrets. Though I guess that is how it is in real life, people just move on and not really visit such topics. Charlie was selfish in NY (we are told, it never really is shown), but the whole LA thing seemed planned by Nichole and that is selfish too.

Driver is such a good actor with range and Theron showed she can have range too. That long shot of her meeting the lawyer was fantastic.

If the movie was supposed to be a commentary the human aspects of divorce and the legal system, I feel that there should be more of a book-end to it's portrayal of stereotypes of divorce and the legal system. If anything, the movie is just telling people to talk to their spouse. Though, Charlie's charactor might not of ever left NY without having all the events happen, I feel ultimately it is a happy ending because Nicole and the viewer learn that his son would be worth it.
You said Theron but I think you mean Johansson

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that bothered me in the movie was how child protection was depicted. Seemed rather silly.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the movie but Jesus Laura Dern's character had to be one of my most unlikeable characters at the very least of 2019

Jul 18, 2018
The only thing that bothered me in the movie was how child protection was depicted. Seemed rather silly.
Can you emphasize?
I just had a close family friend go through the divorce process but with a kid who is few years younger and i felt whatever happened in the movie was the same for them. However they both hate each others guts now. But the mediator negotiated and they both share the kids time, but they both have picked out for the upcoming year who gets him during holidays. Mind you, they both called the police on each other both times and all that jazz.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Can you emphasize?
I just had a close family friend go through the divorce process but with a kid who is few years younger and i felt whatever happened in the movie was the same for them. However they both hate each others guts now. But the mediator negotiated and they both share the kids time, but they both have picked out for the upcoming year who gets him during holidays. Mind you, they both called the police on each other both times and all that jazz.
It was about child-protection as a service. The woman who came to visit him at home (when he accidentally cut himself). Not how they end up dealing with it. The way she sat there during dinner, taking notes. Like some East German State officer or something. Not sure how it goes in the USA but often in movies the child-protection service gets depicted weirdly.