• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as brutal as I thought it would be, which was kind of refreshing. It was like re-watching my parents' marriage fall apart, minus the beauty and talent.

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over what Netflix is putting out in the last quarter of this year.

Dolemite is My Name, The King, The Irishman, Marriage Story and The Two Popes... can't say that Netflix is lacking in the film department anymore.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Is this as depressing/ less depressing/
more depressing than Blue Valentine? Because that movie hurt my soul
Way less depressing. I was expecting Blue Valentine levels of fucked up.

It wasn't really depressing to be honest. 500 Days of Summer level, I'd put it at. Liked the movie; love Laura Dern the most.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call the movie depressing. It's just an honest portrayal of a relationship falling apart. It's emotional as hell to be sure, but I would say it's prettyyy hopeful

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I just read an article on the film in the magazine Film Comment where the author argues that there are no winners--the lawyers are the fucking winners here. Maybe I'm naive, but shit really went downhill after those bloodsuckers got involved. Even Alda, who played the part of the sage/mentor to a tee, wanted 10k upfront. One of my favorite lines was Drive asking Alda it he was paying for the the time it took him to tell a joke. Really astute there...

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I still can't get over what Netflix is putting out in the last quarter of this year.

Dolemite is My Name, The King, The Irishman, Marriage Story and The Two Popes... can't say that Netflix is lacking in the film department anymore.
They weren't happy that Roma was essentially the Best Picture frontrunner for 95% of 2018 only to get beaten out by fucking Green Book at the last second. This year they just straight up emptied the clip in their Oscar hunt.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
It is an insanely stacked race this year. We're likely gonna have him, Leo, Joaquin, and de Niro all getting nominations. I'd say he's a lock for a nom though.

Will Dafoe be in supporting? He's got to get a nom for lighthouse. It is stacked, but in a good way I think. It's the kind of year where anyone of them could get it and you wouldn't think anyone was robbed.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Will Dafoe be in supporting? He's got to get a nom for lighthouse. It is stacked, but in a good way I think. It's the kind of year where anyone of them could get it and you wouldn't think anyone was robbed.
I hope so because it's my favorite supporting actor performance this year for sure. But that category is loaded too. I feel like it's Pitt's race to lose right now.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
ScarJo was well cast and clearly had a lot of experience with the source material but the performance was weaker than I was hoping for given all the Oscar buzz. Several times during her monologues it felt like she'd unconsciously slip into a Woody Allen impression.

However, the supporting cast was Fan-Fucking-Tastic. Laura Dern, Ray Liotta, Alan Alda, Julie Hagerty and Wallace Shawn were note perfect. Though I guess its been a minute since I've seen Alan Alda in a movie I don't remember him being so small :(

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
As someone who's been cheated on by a spouse and ended up in nasty divorce, does anyone that has seen this already think it has any possibly triggering scenes or anything in it?

Interested in seeing it but just a little worried.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
ScarJo's first monologue with Laura Dern was so great. I was shocked seeing this acting from her.

Driver was of course phenomenal.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it, but as expected with these incredibly highly rated movies, it didn't do THAT much for me. It was good, nothing mind blowing.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The scene with the pocket knife is probably my favorite. Like, I think it was meant to be humorous but that shit stressed me out lmao.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I don't think I breathed during that argument scene

Basically the equivalent of seeing every argument my parents ever had with each other (that was spread out over two decades), suddenly unloaded all at once condensed into one big near-10-minute vent session you can't escape or look away from

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
i've seen several Baumbach films. this may be the first one where I felt the characters and dialogue felt 'real' and natural all the way through and some awkwardness didn't pull me out of the movie.

it's a hell of a movie. heartbreaking in a lot of ways. Driver and Johansson put on a powerful performance

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well like i said in the other thread thats active about this movie i thought the writing and acting were probably the best of the year. I see acting and screenplay awards, and maybe more. Might be Noah's best movie. His movies before this were great but quirky i felt. This one just feels really real and clever.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I saw this movie last night and was very surprised by how good it was. Netflix has been releasing some really good original movies so far.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Driver was no surprise but after years of Marvel, I'd forgotten how good ScarJo could really be.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this film helps get the crazy idea that Scarlett's a bad actress out of a big portion of this forum's heads.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best Netflix movie I've seen. Haven't watched the Irishman yet so that might change but yep haven't seen a better movie in Netflix. Driver deserves an Oscar nom for this performance. ScarJo too. They're both incredible in it. Like so much so it's almost difficult to remember they're acting.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This year is too stacked. Joaquin Phoenix, DeNiro, Tom Hanks, and Adam Driver are all deserving of Best Actor and so are Brad Pitt, Joe Pesci, and Al Pacino for best supporting actor.

Oct 25, 2017
i know this is shallow, but i had a hard time getting over the "we're making a film about being in LA/NYC and making films" angle. it's just a bit too on the nose for me.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I just read an article on the film in the magazine Film Comment where the author argues that there are no winners--the lawyers are the fucking winners here. Maybe I'm naive, but shit really went downhill after those bloodsuckers got involved. Even Alda, who played the part of the sage/mentor to a tee, wanted 10k upfront. One of my favorite lines was Drive asking Alda it he was paying for the the time it took him to tell a joke. Really astute there...

I actually think the argument scene shows that the lawyers were necessary. The movie did a good job of showing how fucked up the whole process is with the lawyers, but when they finally tried to sit down and talk about it civilly without lawyers (which Charlie kept saying they could the whole time), it ended up getting even uglier.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's been cheated on by a spouse and ended up in nasty divorce, does anyone that has seen this already think it has any possibly triggering scenes or anything in it?

Interested in seeing it but just a little worried.

Nah. Really reminded me of my divorce and I'm sure you'll see yourself in it. It's really a great movie and anyone who's been through divorce it's pretty on point.

My divorce was turbulent as hell and didn't have the money my wife and her family did and I finally Conceded on everything. Walked away with zippo. 8 years later my ex and I are friends and we never follow our decree. I don't even remember what it was, so yeah...

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Just finished it. Absolutely loved it. Great performances all around. Now I want to watch more of Driver's work.