• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Greetings.

His type of political engagement is loved by white people. It makes them all warm and fuzzy because it is so vague. Its corporate PR dressed as politics. He is the paragon of Malcolm's House Negro. Look up a dictionary of that concept- and there Marque is, staring bank vacantly, pretending that he isn't black.
I'm black. Pretty sure the strongest critics here are black. White folks are congratulating him on Twitter cause they think it's so powerful when us black folks, who's paid attention to him over the years, know what's up. Anyone who want to lead by example to become some "model minority" is a damn fool, cause at the end of the day, his skin color still supersedes everything else in this country. His statement about Black Lives Matter was dripping with resentment, like he thinks he's too good for it (cause he doesn't want to jump on hashtags).

great, I think criticisms of him are valid and support all of you, just feel like sometimes white people are too eager to tear people of color down when it's not their job to educate white people. I personally just don't feel right criticizing his point of view as a white person.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. He's so incredibly naive it's hard for me to take him seriously. Because the cops don't care, the Karens don't care--just look at that Harvard Grad who got the cops called on him cause the lady wouldn't leash her dog. His YouTube subscriber count doesn't matter--he can still get pulled out of that Tesla and killed by the police.

This is why silence doesn't work for us. You have to speak up about these issues. Leading by example also makes it sound like the folks getting killed did something wrong. Why do we have to be better than our white counterparts? Oh yeah--racism!
Yup, guys like that look at LeBron getting slurs painted on his house, that Harvard grad, the black professor who got the cops called on him for going to his own house, etc. And still think "I just have to put in a nice belt and smile and I'll be fine." You could cure cancer and have Olympic gold and you're still one phone call and jittery move away from getting gunned down by some racist cop.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017

Understand this- and you'll understand the dynamic at play here.

Yup, guys like that look at LeBron getting slurs painted on his house, that Harvard grad, the black professor who got the cops called on him for going to his own house, etc. And still think "I just have to put in a nice belt and smile and I'll be fine."

To quote the man again-

You know what they call a nigger with a PhD?

Nigger.

(Sorry for the language.)

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Look, as a half Chinese guy, I understand not wanting to be known for your race first and who you are as a person second. I get the desire to carve a career and identity independent of that.

But this guy isn't "keeping out of it" or being apolitical by signal boosting known racists like PDP, he's making a very calculated move to pander to his majority white audience, with a dash of self-hatred thrown in for good measure.

And just as saying "be a model minority and you'll fit in" is a myth for Asian people, it's a myth for black people too. You can be the finest, most upstanding minority in the community, but you'll still be an *ethnic slur* to racists.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He literally says that he doesn't care if he loses racist subscribers.
He softballs the fuck out of that shit. He calls no one out on their tendencies, doesn't fully articulate why this is important, doesn't even make people consider that they might actually be a racist even if they're not overtly racist.

So in the grand scheme, no one is going to unsubscribe, because they're not going to think they qualify.

Once again, compare his video to Jonathan Morrison and you can see that it's vague and soft as shit.

I mean, Jud hasn't made a video, but he hasn't been quiet. Depends on what you follow him on I guess.
Looks like I actually unfollowed him at some point without me noticing, which is why I haven't seen anything in awhile.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
He softballs the fuck out of that shit. He calls no one out on their tendencies, doesn't fully articulate why this is important, doesn't even make people consider that they might actually be a racist even if they're not overtly racist.

So in the grand scheme, no one is going to unsubscribe, because they're not going to think they qualify.

Once again, compare his video to Jonathan Morrison and you can see that it's vague and soft as shit.

Looks like I actually unfollowed him at some point without me noticing, which is why I haven't seen anything in awhile.

Now that's a good video. That's how you do it. Say his name. Show footage, fuck your brand, etc.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
The video is so vague that I don't really know what he is talking about, It's almost like something that he had to do and not wanted to do

There are already better vids in this thread but I want to link this one with Hasan Minhaj

...and Logan Paul did a better job lol

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
hope y'all with harsh criticism for him aren't white.

Black as black gets.

Someone with a platform as large as his could easily do better.....what hes doing, been doing is legit sad to see.....he smells like self hate whenever he has to acknowledge hes black....he'd rather be a Tech Tuber than be Black.
I smelt this shit one too many times and stopped watching his stuff a very very long time ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Black as black gets.

Someone with a platform as large as his could easily do better.....what hes doing, been doing is legit sad to see.....he smells like self hate whenever he has to acknowledge hes black....he'd rather be a Tech Tuber than be Black.
I smelt this shit one too many times and stopped watching his stuff a very very long time ago.
It's a fair criticism, but I feel like a lot of us just gotta work out our own shit on an individual level. Thinking back on the shit I let slide just to fit in all through school.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
It's a fair criticism, but I feel like a lot of us just gotta work out our own shit on an individual level. Thinking back on the shit I let slide just to fit in all through school.

That's always been my position with any matters like this in the modern times.

If people aren't exposed to this stuff due to their upbringing and economic status, his parents would have had to teach him about this stuff. And if they focused on him getting along to get along and shielded him from these issues as much as they could, he would have to self-educate (because none of this is taught in white schools). And if he doesn't have people in his sphere to tell him the truth, then that flaccid ass video statement is exactly the result.

I'm disappointed myself, but I can't question his blackness when he doesn't know any better.

(I do have to acknowledge that the PDP and Joe Rogan stuff is indeed beyond the pale, and it does indeed point to a lack of social and societal awareness that I wasn't sure really and actually existed.)

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The video is so vague that I don't really know what he is talking about, It's almost like something that he had to do and not wanted to do

There are already better vids in this thread but I want to link this one with Hasan Minhaj

I haven't watched this episode yet (still catching up on this season), but Hasan Minhaj is awesome.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
Gotta admit, begin black myself growing up surrounded by mid to upper class white folks most of my life, I did a lot things I wasn't proud of either.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Morrison is doing a fundraiser:

Nice, gonna subscribe to his channel. Too many other YouTubers are just shrugging everything off, or giving half-hearted statements. Which makes them part of the problem. MKBHD should be the one making this kinda content, but he's still to afraid of making white people uncomfortable or coming across as some angry black guy.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
X's speech should be threadmarked to educate those who don't know better.
yep.

Props to this dude. He making it look easy.

Sad that Marques is just coasting on surface level words.
Because it actually is easy. Marques just ain't shit is all.

Black as black gets.

Yep.

When he started talking about, "I'm not sure if I'm qualified or if it's because I'm black" I was like, "oh...he's one of those."

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Casey Neistat is another real one. Kinda nuts how very privileged white Youtubers are out lapping Marques. Casey also has a massive platform.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Relistened the video with Marques. It seems he did more to get ppl off his back. It has a weird vibe about it. He brings up his somewhat sheltered and heavily white upbringing and how it took time to notice he was the only black guy.

I don't know. It's a very weird video. It almost as he feels very uncomfortable with the topic.

He then ends it saying that work need to continue and highlights black creators.

i think if he didn't make it about himself in the beginning it would be more effective. But it seems like he's checking a box and really doesn't want to talk about it.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Relistened the video with Marques. It seems he did more to get ppl off his back. It has a weird vibe about it. He brings up his somewhat sheltered and heavily white upbringing and how it took time to notice he was the only black guy.

I don't know. It's a very weird video. It almost as he feels very uncomfortable with the topic.
Oh that's exactly why he did it. The same goes for the original Twitter post he made. It's dripping with, "Well, I guess I'll address this since so many people are asking me." His mentions were clearly being blown up.

Dude is clearly uncomfortable talking about his race. With wouldn't be the case if he were proud. Being in all those white spaces and never talking about it has bred some self-hate in him and it's sad. If I had the means I'd make a YouTube video about it. Would be nice if someone with a platform called him out.

And it just makes no sense because at this point he could say whatever and would still have a fan base. Dude could've came on and been like, "Fuck white people," and his subscriber count wouldn't have taken that much of a hit. Not saying he should've done out that. Just been real for a moment.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude would rather defend Elon Musk before he does the black community, so true if you pay attention to him, that was your first alarm to the silence over Musk

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Oh that's exactly why he did it. The same goes for the original Twitter post he made. It's dripping with, "Well, I guess I'll address this since so many people are asking me." His mentions were clearly being blown up.

Dude is clearly uncomfortable talking about his race. With wouldn't be the case if he were proud. Being in all those white spaces and never talking about it has bred some self-hate in him and it's sad. If I had the means I'd make a YouTube video about it. Would be nice if someone with a platform called him out.

And it just makes no sense because at this point he could say whatever and would still have a fan base. Dude could've came on and been like, "Fuck white people," and his subscriber count wouldn't have taken that much of a hit. Not saying he should've done out that. Just been real for a moment.
It does seem that he subscribes to the Morgan Freeman school of racism—if we don't talk about it, It would go away.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for someone who's really into Tesla or friends PDP, damn does he not ruffle any of their shitty alt right racist shit they say.

It's sad as fuck but I've noticed it ever since someone he knows would be trending for the wrongest reasons and Marques just doesn't say shit. No call out or nothing, even promotes them after it dies down.

Oct 27, 2017
Meh.

MKBHD has his moments. But he can be a shill at times. Just like he is scared to call out certain people he does the same with his reviews at times.

Enjoy Flossy Carters reviews a lot better. There's less of a corporate feeling to them.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Morgan Freeman did us no fucking favors saying that stupid ass shit... Especially for someone of his age. I really hope he's retracted that stance.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

This is it. The Twitter post had that vibe exactly, that the only reason he is addressing it is because people are asking him to.

He seems more content to not upset anyone, which is fucking insane. Why should he think it would be controversial to call out racism. Just seems like beating around the bush.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
This is it. The Twitter post had that vibe exactly, that the only reason he is addressing it is because people are asking him to.

He seems more content to not upset anyone, which is fucking insane. Why should he think it would be controversial to call out racism. Just seems like beating around the bush.
Too benefit the people in those white spaces. He doesn't want to be one of those black people who "always bring up race", which is something white people say when their bullshit is corrected. He's been brainwashed. I just want another black creator, with a decent following, to call him out about supporting PDP.

Oct 25, 2017
Too benefit the people in those white spaces. He doesn't want to be one of those black people who "always bring up race", which is something white people say when their bullshit is corrected. He's been brainwashed. I just want another black creator, with a decent following, to call him out about supporting PDP.
I mean, I get your frustration, but wouldn't that be more productive as a private conversation from anyone who recognizes he could improve than just YouTube drama.

I mean, if you feel that strongly about it, you could honestly reach out yourself.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get your frustration, but wouldn't that be more productive as a private conversation from anyone who recognizes he could improve than just YouTube drama.

I mean, if you feel that strongly about it, you could honestly reach out yourself.
Idk, I just feel like it'd be better to have in public because that was messed up, and sent the wrong message to his black fans. And I may try even though I doubt he reads it lol.

It's been nice seeing the good videos though. This whole situation has made me unsubscribe to a lot of channels (ones that remain silent mostly, cause they're part of the problem). In the end, it's good that he addressed it. And hopefully he grows in the future.

Dec 31, 2017
I've been following Marques for years and will keep doing so for a long time, guy is definitely the best tech reviewer out there and the production value is unmatched imo; his videos are just fun to watch and feel genuine compared to most tech youtuber our there so it would take a lot for me to judge him and unsubscribe. Funny looking at comments in this thread saying he isn't a real black or something similar as I would be watching him a lot on breaks at work and people would come up and be like ''dude sounds like a white guy'', really puts things into perspective!

As for not focusing on the issue, I don't see a problem with him kind of separating himself from current events. He made his statement and it's perfectly fine. I'm white and in the military and have no right to go out and protest (that is what I signed for when enrolling) so I'm not going to risk my job as my family's livelihood depends on it even though what's happening right now is very eye opening and I'm seeing things in people that have been disappointing me on social media as well as in people in my friends or circle of friends that are not as open as I though they were; even in my family. But I'm not one of those that says if you don't go out and actively participate in manifestations then you are racist either. I'll argue with people in real life and try to make them understand as that is something I can do however and I've always been in very multicultural environments (wife is Latina as well) and that is also how I raise my kids as that's something that is important to me; so I do what I think is right in a way I know that is available to me to make as much difference as I can in my personal life.

Marques has his brand and I respect him no matter what; if that is his stand I'm fine with it. A donation or a little something more would go a long way though and considering how big he is he has the means to do so. I mean, even someone like Dr Disrespect has made the decision to give away his donation money for the whole month. I do think that those big youtubers should at least be giving away all their proceeds from videos on the current situation to bailout money or BLM or whatever organisation right now that helps with Racism as to me it feels like profiting from current evens if they are not, especially if the are 'actively participating' like they say they are. I know that the platform that is available to them makes it possible to maybe make a bigger difference so I won't either discredit any work they put in to make a difference even if they make some money off of it, but I've been having a hard time figuring out if some people are just doing it for PR points or not. I guess any talk that's positive on the matter is a good thing no matter what, I just hope it doesn't fall off the radar by the end of the month as these issues take time to heal and unfortunately, will most likely never be fixed as humans are very flawed beings.

This whole thing is hard on everyone and not all people react the same way, so I like to think that if it makes you rethink your life or your views in any way, it at least had a positive impact on our society, and maybe that impact is what Marques is feeling right now and will, in time, change his perspective; you never know!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following Marques for years and will keep doing so for a long time, guy is definitely the best tech reviewer out there and the production value is unmatched imo; his videos are just fun to watch and feel genuine compared to most tech youtuber our there so it would take a lot for me to judge him and unsubscribe. Funny looking at comments in this thread saying he isn't a real black or something similar as I would be watching him a lot on breaks at work and people would come up and be like ''dude sounds like a white guy'', really puts things into perspective!

How does that put anything into perspective?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it, thought it was.. fine? He's a black man who grew up with opportunity, money, and parents able to let him pursue everything he wanted to. In many peoples eyes, he's a black man and a black family that made it, picked themselves up by their bootstraps and became "one of them".

But racism doesn't stop for him, it still effects him, he gets odd looks and stares. People may not look at him and think he's "a dumb ******", but they still don't accept him like they do everyone else. He's accomplished and the head of his field, and he still deals with bullshit because he's black.

His experience may be different than others, but that doesn't seem to me like in invalidates what he has to say, or makes him a sellout for telling us what life is like for him.

Edit: While I get it seems to some that he is shilling or not wanting to upset people, maybe to him racism hasn't effected his life to the degree of the less fortunate. Kind of sucks for him to present it that way, but as said earlier he still deals with racism directed towards him in diferent ways, and shares many of the same fears as people regardless of income or success.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
second thought had a good video on police brutality now that some are posting videos. also it looks like snowflakes reported the hell out of it because you get a warning now about it having some inappropriate content.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
As a separate issue from BLM, the PewDiePie support I don't get, but I really can't blame Marques for not saying anything against Elon Musk lately. Musk is clearly a loon but also a really important figure and I can understand Marques wanting to avoid anything that would end any future collaboration. The guy has already made two videos with Musk. That's a huge win for him.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't know. The video feels weird but I can't place why.

It makes me feel like...he's walking the line in a way. It's like a softer version of what A$AP Rocky got called out for years ago with the All Lives Matter shit and "I don't wanna talk about no fucking Ferguson and shit because I don't live over there. I live in fucking SoHo and Beverly Hills. I can't relate".

Man, I need to watch it again and think. It comes across like he's not equipped for this conversation. But he's 26. And I can't fathom his parents never giving him the talk, or warning him about how (white) people would see him in these spaces.

Maybe it's because the video feels...insincere? Or light, or general? Or too clinical?

Fake edit: Watching it again, the point of the video seems to be more about his own struggle with others seeing him as (the) black (guy in the room)? He's really fighting to avoid talking about race, or having to bring it up to the forefront. Like if admitting he is black would disqualify him from being the next Steve Jobs (or some shit like that).

Okay, I think I can see the self-hate aspect? To him, being "marked" as black seems to imply/make whatever it is attached to as different (or mean he doesn't fit in)?

Ugh. Thinking on it more is just pissing me off, especially towards the middle. Growing up, and even now, and realising I have to work twice as hard as others...how does he arrive at "did I make it to this team just because I'm black"?

Fake fake edit edit: I just don't even know. Little dude doesn't mention Black Lives Matter, doesn't expand on the police, doesn't really get into the reasons for the protests, and is probably struggling with some form of imposter syndrome that is tied to his color.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Why would you, as a black man, not only congratulate someone who is clearly a massive racist but also encourage others to follow them? That's making a statement, that you don't care.

Seems like a classic sign of internalized oppression to me, makes a lot of sense tbh. It's not that he "doesn't care" it's that he wants to be with the "in group" as such, he buys in to the same power that unknowingly chains him. Sociology and psychology explain this quite well. The funniest thing is he is just playing himself

I love Hasan and the patriot act, this video right here is probably the best thing he has ever done. Simply felt powerful, and it was striking to see him criticize his own community and how they treated and viewed blacks. Glad to see him doing this.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

As for not focusing on the issue, I don't see a problem with him kind of separating himself from current events. He made his statement and it's perfectly fine. I'm white and in the military and have no right to go out and protest (that is what I signed for when enrolling) so I'm not going to risk my job as my family's livelihood depends on it even though what's happening right now is very eye opening and I'm seeing things in people that have been disappointing me on social media as well as in people in my friends or circle of friends that are not as open as I though they were; even in my family. But I'm not one of those that says if you don't go out and actively participate in manifestations then you are racist either. I'll argue with people in real life and try to make them understand as that is something I can do however and I've always been in very multicultural environments (wife is Latina as well) and that is also how I raise my kids as that's something that is important to me; so I do what I think is right in a way I know that is available to me to make as much difference as I can in my personal life.

Marques has his brand and I respect him no matter what; if that is his stand I'm fine with it. A donation or a little something more would go a long way though and considering how big he is he has the means to do so. I mean, even someone like Dr Disrespect has made the decision to give away his donation money for the whole month. I do think that those big youtubers should at least be giving away all their proceeds from videos on the current situation to bailout money or BLM or whatever organisation right now that helps with Racism as to me it feels like profiting from current evens if they are not, especially if the are 'actively participating' like they say they are. I know that the platform that is available to them makes it possible to maybe make a bigger difference so I won't either discredit any work they put in to make a difference even if they make some money off of it, but I've been having a hard time figuring out if some people are just doing it for PR points or not. I guess any talk that's positive on the matter is a good thing no matter what, I just hope it doesn't fall off the radar by the end of the month as these issues take time to heal and unfortunately, will most likely never be fixed as humans are very flawed beings.

This whole thing is hard on everyone and not all people react the same way, so I like to think that if it makes you rethink your life or your views in any way, it at least had a positive impact on our society, and maybe that impact is what Marques is feeling right now and will, in time, change his perspective; you never know!
Thanks for sharing, but you don't get it.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case then at least explain yourself, because your reply doesn't really do much.

Also, comment section of his video is pretty positive from what I've seen, people seem to enjoy his video and message.
We've stated what's wrong many, many times in this thread. Also, use this as a teachable moment—NEVER ask the oppressed to educate you about the problems they face. Do the work.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Every time he posts a new video he has tweet with the YouTube link and this is pinned to the top until the next vid comes out. The tweet for this vid hasn't been pinned; it's almost like he wants to pretend it doesn't exist.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the case then at least explain yourself, because your reply doesn't really do much.

Also, comment section of his video is pretty positive from what I've seen, people seem to enjoy his video and message.

Read the thread and then come back. I already highlighted a huge problem with your post which you ignored.

...Funny looking at comments in this thread saying he isn't a real black or something similar as I would be watching him a lot on breaks at work and people would come up and be like ''dude sounds like a white guy'', really puts things into perspective!

What exactly has been put into perspective?