• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I still don't understand what Metaverse actually improves upon anything that already exists.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I can envision a world where billions of people are paying me money too, but that doesn't mean it will become a reality.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, meaningful expenditures like buying artificially-scarce digital land.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen a company triple down on something that equates to shoveling money into a furnace this badly before. Pure delusion.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely not happening but got to talk things up for the investors, though I'm sure he believes it.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"We hope to basically get to around a billion people in the metaverse doing hundreds of dollars of commerce, each buying digital goods, digital content, different things to express themselves, so whether that's clothing for their avatar or different digital goods for their virtual home or things to decorate their virtual conference room, utilities to be able to be more productive in virtual and augmented reality and across the metaverse overall," he said.

Yeah... I''m not spending hundreds to play a bad Animal Crossing. Thanks.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
This is the type of delusion you get when you live in a self contained eco chamber.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I feel like I know how this movie ends; gonna say its probably going to be more Children of Men, but we might get some Blade Runner megasprawl coolness with gauss guns.

This will fail, but you kinda have to wonder the thought that goes into what's effectively more tech waste, hyper-capitalism in another space, and under one umbrella like he's pulling for with Meta because its such a beloved and trusted brand.

The disconnect there is scary.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I won't be one of them, buying virtual clothes and shit like that, even if I had money like Suckerberg I wouldn't buy any of it.

Oct 28, 2017
The only people excited about the Metaverse are corporations and Mark Zuckerberg so you know nothing good will come out of it. Expect for your internet usage to be tracked more and expect more specific targeted advertisements.

Dec 19, 2021
I still don't understand what Metaverse actually improves upon anything that already exists.

People have been trying to make entertainment more immersive for over 100 years... The metaverse has the potential to do that if they can actually nail AR/VR presence. I think we're probably 10-20 years away from the technology but I'm wrong about these things all the time and expected level 4 self-driving cars by 2025.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Something like this will happen some day, but it wont be Facebook that makes it popular no matter how hard they want to force it

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
V1y5Sks.png

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I just go back to the wonderful stories from The Brodeo that Shawn Elliot would tell about Second Life. That's what the metaverse is to me, except corporate and garbage.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
If there is one thing I want is for this metaverse crap to completely destroy facebook.

Well i want other things as well but this is up there.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Meta was running ads during AEW last night that position the Metaverse as a center of learning.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

I don't either so I must be missing something.

The Quest is neat - feels like they figured out how to make something with the fidelity of the OG Vive portable. But the tech still isn't there yet and it still hurts my eyes after 45 minutes or so. Honestly haven't touched it in months.

Hopefully people see AR for the absolute dystopian nightmare that it is. Putting on some glasses so you can see ads popping up everywhere and they'll probably have some sort of social credit system - no thank you.

So how does he get a billion people to sign up for that?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Something like this will happen some day, but it wont be Facebook that makes it popular no matter how hard they want to force it

Eh, Meta may at least be the aol of the metaverse.

People will 100% spend tons of money on digital items within an immersive space once its fleshed out. Look at what people already spend on, say, first person shooter cosmetics, where you can't even see yourself when you're playing.

The concept of the metaverse is already sort of already happening in a fragmented ass way in standard gaming. For example, you can play as snoop dog in a COD game, which obviously doesn't match the genre at all. Meta wants your unique avatar/digital belongings to be consistent across multiple apps, so you can be snoop dog in any game. And they want to be the marketplace for that digital identity that supersedes your in-app/game identity.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
community-dean.gif

Is his game plan that companies are going to buy dozens of $300 VR headsets so that they can do virtual meetings? And spend more money on top of that for whatever meeting app exists in Meta?

Cause my company just keeps changing programs for whatever is cheapest.

(Also I have to imagine most of their user base on FB is old people who barely know how to use FB let alone VR)

(Also also I can't get over naming the thing after the very bad thing in video games. It's like calling your platform Bowser's Castle or the Death Star. It has Torment Nexus energy.)

jesus-wept-community.gif

Dec 19, 2021
I don't either so I must be missing something.

The Quest is neat - feels like they figured out how to make something with the fidelity of the OG Vive portable. But the tech still isn't there yet and it still hurts my eyes after 45 minutes or so. Honestly haven't touched it in months.

Hopefully people see AR for the absolute dystopian nightmare that it is. Putting on some glasses so you can see ads popping up everywhere and they'll probably have some sort of social credit system - no thank you.

So how does he get a billion people to sign up for that?

The technology has waaay more dystopian possibilities than ads. Imagine AR glasses that filter the information and world around you to align with your preconceived political beliefs altering and hiding information that may contradict your biases. People hate leaving their bubble and AR could make it so they never have to.

Fall or Dodge in Hell wasn't a good book but the idea of information filters that sets what people see feels like an increasing possibility.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as Facebook clearly established, the first attempt at an idea is usually the most successful.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Meta may at least be the aol of the metaverse.

People will 100% spend tons of money on digital items within an immersive space once its fleshed out. Look at what people already spend on, say, first person shooter cosmetics, where you can't even see yourself when you're playing.
People have to like what you build and that's the problem with all this Metaverse junk. Yeah people are willing to spend hundreds on games they like, I've spent hundreds in FFXIV and Genshin Impact, but it's because I already like those things. I know people who have spent hundreds on VRChat. Just building something doesn't mean they will gain an audience. I don't think these "metaverse" companies actually care about building a fun space that people want to spend time in, they want that 1 billion people spending 100$ each.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It feels like everyone behind Facebook's Metaverse stuff has never played a videogame before.

Or...maybe their target audience is people who've never played a videogame before?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
People have to like what you build and that's the problem with all this Metaverse junk. Yeah people are willing to spend hundreds on games they like, I've spent hundreds in FFXIV and Genshin Impact, but it's because I already like those things. I know people who have spent hundreds on VRChat. Just building something doesn't mean they will gain an audience. I don't think these "metaverse" companies actually care about building a fun space that people want to spend time in, they want that 1 billion people spending 100$ each.

You're missing the entire strategy. It's not just to create a game/space where they can buy/purchase things, its to use those things in other people's games. They're already doing it in crude form; multiple VR games use Meta's avatar platform, and it works quite well, tbh. Even though they aren't remarkable avatars yet, they're built specifically for the platform, and can just be plugged into games.

In other words, they're building the ability to have a market that spans between games, as long as those games are on their platform and opt in to the market. And the market will inevitably have user generated content (like VRChat) with buying and selling, where Meta takes a cut of the transactions.

Meta is building a persistent digital economy platform. It won't be the only one, but it will be a big one and an early one. You'd think more people on era would understand what Meta was doing, even if they don't like how they're doing it.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The technology has waaay more dystopian possibilities than ads. Imagine AR glasses that filter the information and world around you to align with your preconceived political beliefs altering and hiding information that may contradict your biases. People hate leaving their bubble and AR could make it so they never have to.

Fall or Dodge in Hell wasn't a good book but the idea of information filters that sets what people see feels like an increasing possibility.

Yeah everything about AR makes me think we need to burn it and bury it in the desert while wearing gloves.

I've never been a luddite until I saw this video and nope'd the fuck out: