• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
There's a video in the link at the bottom, but Independent's video player can't be embedded here on ResetEra.
Adam White said:
Ruffalo said: "When we did the first Avengers, Kevin Feige told me, "Listen, I might not be here tomorrow." And he's like, "Ike does not believe that anyone will go to a female-starring super movie." So if I am still here tomorrow you will know that I won that battle."

"That was the turning point for Marvel," Ruffalo continued. "Because Kevin wanted black superheroes, women superheroes, LGBT superheroes. He changed the whole Marvel universe.

"We now have gay superheroes, we have black superheroes, we have female superheroes – Scarlett Johansson has her movie coming out, we have Captain Marvel, they are doing She Hulk next. No other studio is being that forwardly inclusive on that level."

"They have to, though," he added. "This is the fucking world. The culture is way ahead of the politics."

So yeah, fuck Ike Perlmutter. Thank god they got Marvel Studios away from him.

Source: Independent

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's been some things that said he's gone but nothing has been concrete yet

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It is fun how much more successful the MCU films have gotten once Ike was kicked. And how both the diversity pushes with Black Panther and Captain Marvel became some of their biggest hits ever. Black Panther especially.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me like Feige a whole lot more.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that guy (Ike) is a certified prick. He was also the "genius" that attempted to supplant the X-Men with the Inhumans due to pettiness over Fox having the film rights at the time. And we all know how that turned out.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its interesting that Ike is such a supervillain that everyone knows about him yet there are probably so many like him throughout all kinds of industries as the invisible guiding hand of pop cultural representation.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunately a world where market research is being used to maintain the status quo. But the status quo won't change if the people with the power and with the means to afford the supposed risks are willing to take it. Nerd culture is incredibly male centric and the only way the more sexist male voices can be quieted down is if folks push for inclusion. Good on him for pushing for it. Willing to risk your job takes guts and he knew how to use his influence and power for good.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Feige is obviously the main reason for the MCU's massive success.

That being said, they need to do way better when it comes to queer representation. I don't want any in the background, minor characters only, subtext hinting garbage.

I want full on, balls to the wall, 3D IMAX gayness rammed down every bigots throat until they shit rainbows, kthx.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Reminder that we were denied a female villain in Iron Man 3, cause Ike was all like "little boys think girls have cooties and won't buy action figures of female characters!" And as a result, Rebecca Hall's character was supplanted by Killian early on in production and has basically nothing to do in the movie.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feige is obviously the main reason for the MCU's massive success.

That being said, they need to do way better when it comes to queer representation. I don't want any in the background, minor characters only, subtext hinting garbage

I want full on, balls to the wall, 3D IMAX gayness rammed down every bigots throat until they shit rainbows, kthx.
Hopefully, Eternals will do some of that work.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Perlmutter is the worst, and say what you will about the Marvel films as a collection having him gone is fucking GREAT for them

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If Feige had full reigns earlier, we could have had a great ironman 3 and at least decent thor 2.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
That being said, they need to do way better when it comes to queer representation. I don't want any in the background, minor characters only, subtext hinting garbage
I don't know what were they thinking by making that scene in Endgame, like if you want to tease something at least be something more than a no-name character portrayed by one of the directors

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, that guy (Ike) is a certified prick. He was also the "genius" that attempted to supplant the X-Men with the Inhumans due to pettiness over Fox having the film rights at the time. And we all know how that turned out.
This also led to the infamous Fox ban that impacted Marvel games, cartoons, & merchandise. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite was hit pretty badly because of this ban (also Lego Marvel 2).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My respect for Feige increases even more.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but was Valkyrie actually confirmed bisexual in the movie? All i seem to remember was an interview where Tessa Thompson said something like "in my mind, valkyrie is bisexual".

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Dumb question but was Valkyrie actually confirmed bisexual in the movie? All i seem to remember was an interview where Tessa Thompson said something like "in my mind, valkyrie is bisexual".
It was basically confirmed at SDCC last year. It'll be touched on further in Thor: Love & Thunder.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
She literally went on stage for Thor 4 and said that as the new "King of Asgard, it's time to find her queen."

What that romance actually looks like by Disney standards, who the fuck knows, but she's clearly not being pigeonholed as straight.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ruffalo said: "When we did the first Avengers, Kevin Feige told me, "Listen, I might not be here tomorrow." And he's like, "Ike does not believe that anyone will go to a female-starring super movie." So if I am still here tomorrow you will know that I won that battle."

And then he made over a dozen more male driven movies before Captain Marvel?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
at least we got some decent SHIELD episodes out of it

that's about all that's nice about that mess

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Feige had full reigns earlier, we could have had a great ironman 3 and at least decent thor 2.
Wasn't Kevin Feige heavily involved in the creative choices of Thor 2? To the point where he was essentially a co-director of the film when they didn't like where Alan Taylor was taking it? That's what I remember reading anyway.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Is this the first ever time when someone directly involved in the MCU like an actor or writer/director as blatantly name-dropped Ike for his bigotry?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Is this the first ever time when someone directly involved in the MCU like an actor or writer/director as blatantly name-dropped Ike for his bigotry?
I think so.

What sucks is the shows had queer rep. And it just got canned after Feige took over the TV

giphy.gif

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And we're seeing the work being put in since Ike got taken out of the movie equation. And that work will only continue.

(Marvel should announce that Young Avengers movie that they're obviously making, lol.)

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Wasn't Kevin Feige heavily involved in the creative choices of Thor 2? To the point where he was essentially a co-director of the film when they didn't like where Alan Taylor was taking it? That's what I remember reading anyway.
Feige is heavily involved in alot of creative choices in all the movies. Difference is, during Thor 2 and those first two phases of Marvel films, he still had a committee of people he had to answer to. The team that wrote Captain America: First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame also wrote Thor 2.

Phase 3 has been Feige's creative team unchained from that committee, and has been met with some of the best critical and financial successes as a result.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to hear the fights over Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
She literally went on stage for Thor 4 and said that as the new "King of Asgard, it's time to find her queen."

What that romance actually looks like by Disney standards, who the fuck knows, but she's clearly not being pigeonholed as straight.
IIRC they filmed a scene in Ragnarok where a female is seen leaving her chambers but it got cut