• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Learn about plant based diet, the meat industry, and battling climate change all in one video.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
It's interesting how defensive era is about meat given how passionate this forum is about climate change.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have yet had the opportunity to try these but I loved the video and it only made me more determined to have a burger at least once.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jNr2aVm.gif

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting how defensive era is about meat given how passionate this forum is about climate change.

You were post 6 and no one before you was defensive?

People might get defensive in vegan threads, but people will not get defensive about trying a plant based meat substitute that claims to be indistinguishable, which was kind of one of the main points of the video. Asking people to make major changes is hard. These reduce the friction of change to a very easy level (and doubly so if the price gets cheaper than real meat).

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to try one one of these days.

I've eaten the Chinese stuff where they make fake chicken, duck, fish and what not. They were surprisingly good, but also kind of fake.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rather just have the real thing especially when it's just as expensive and unhealthy as it would be for the real thing

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I love Mark Rober, the passion he shows for what he does is very inspiring. Plus the guy worked on the Mars Rover for 7 years so he gets mad respect from me.

Oct 26, 2017
Had my first impossible burger at BK a week or two ago. Was purty good. Did not like the charring they did on it. Rest was good.

People might get defensive in vegan threads, but people will not get defensive about trying a plant based meat substitute that claims to be indistinguishable, which was kind of one of the main points of the video. Asking people to make major changes is hard. These reduce the friction of change to a very easy level (and doubly so if the price gets cheaper than real meat).
I echo this. Who the fuck was defensive? lol

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
There's not a single person I know that thinks either of those two brands are analogous to real meat. The flavor is mostly there, but the texture on the inside is not.

But they were good, and I'm very optimistic for the future. Wonder if they'll get 100% there before lab grown meat.

Feb 1, 2018

It's all fun and games happy shiny amazing progressivism until your daily habits (meat consumption, driving a gas powered car, buying single use plastics, buying gadgets from companies with no commitment to sustainability, etc) get called out

Beyond/impossible burgers taste amazing btw, its a great step towards de-beefing the west

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I tried the impossible burger and was not convinced (it was more expensive and worse) BUT I'm excited for a future where these "vegetable beef" is cheaper than normal beef. I don't care about the flavor as much as the price.

I'm also about to go grocery shopping and I'll buy the Beyond Meat Burger patties. Let's see how they are.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Meatless burgers are pretty tasty, but they are not good for you, like at all.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Actually no anytime the impossible whopper thread comes up you see a whole ton of "NOT EVEN CLOSE, YOULL HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN THAT TO TAKE MY MEAT!"

Oct 27, 2017
Actually no anytime the impossible whopper thread comes up you see a whole ton of "NOT EVEN CLOSE, YOULL HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN THAT TO TAKE MY MEAT!"

Projecting your.....beef.....with other threads onto one that just started and had none at the time seems counter productive to me.

I tried the impossible burger and was not convinced (it was more expensive and worse) BUT I'm excited for a future where these "vegetable beef" is cheaper than normal beef. I don't care about the flavor as much as the price.

I'm also about to go grocery shopping and I'll buy the Beyond Meat Burger patties. Let's see how they are.

Let us know what ya think, I haven't made one at home yet and had the same thought.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Projecting your.....beef.....with other threads onto one that just started and had none at the time seems counter productive to me.

I don't mean to project, it's more anytime I see a thread about how close these meats are and how important the transition is, it bums me out how opposed to it people are. It's far worse when I talk to others anecdotally in person, but I'm surprised that sentiment exists so strongly on era given how aware of climate change era is as a whole.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to project, it's more anytime I see a thread about how close these meats are and how important the transition is, it bums me out how opposed to it people are. It's far worse when I talk to others anecdotally in person, but I'm surprised that sentiment exists so strongly on era given how aware of climate change era is as a whole.

I get ya. I can see how thatd be frustrating. As bill said in the video, these products will continue to get better, and cheaper, and should continue to lessen that defensiveness and resistance (and hopefully, eventually, the frustration in talking to people about it!).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather eat these and I'm not a vegan yet, but I eat a ton of salads, plants, and veggies because I really like them. They are my favorite foods, and I only go to meat for nostalgia and the texture I feel. I would totally just stop now since it hardly plays a big role in my eating habits, but socially it would be hard to avoid. I don't usually cook dinner (which is where easy to make salads, and things come in), I usually eat the greens, beans, rice, carrots, and potato type dishes, skipping over the meat if there's enough alternatives that I like more.

Now I understand why Faux News were going crazy about people taking their burgers, but we really need to change up. Eating meat seem a bit backwards after seeing this video. Those poor grassless cows. We're cruel to animals.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I get ya. I can see how thatd be frustrating. As bill said in the video, these products will continue to get better, and cheaper, and should continue to lessen that defensiveness and resistance (and hopefully, eventually, the frustration in talking to people about it!).

There's a strong fragility there when I hear the reactions. One of my best friends had his bachelor party this summer, and most of this friend group really isn't the strong over the top masculine type, we're all fairly nerdy types. I had a pack of beyond burgers since there was a grill there. The reactions I got from these people were hilarious. "YOU COULDNT PAY ME TO EAT THAT SHIT!" everybody just laughing and joking about it. I genuinely don't get it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Define not good for you? They're probably significantly better than a real burger for you. But are no where near just eating a healthy salad.

They're not significantly better. They're about the same, all things considered. Beyond and Impossible are lower in sodium and some fats than a ground beef patty, but they contain tons of heavily processed ingredients, are the same caloric content, and use a lot of coconut oil which is not great for you. Like meat burgers, Beyond and Impossible burgers should be eaten in moderation as a treat, not a staple. They really aren't any better than regular fast food in terms of what you're putting in your body. They're just better for the environment.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Thanks to Beyond and Impossible I have been able to drastically reduce my meat intake. I might still occasionally order a burger out, but I haven't bought ground beef in close to a year. They taste good.

And I haven't grown breasts, perhaps to my wife's disappointment.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the "Kill the rich, corporations are the devil" posts but a single thread on emulation has people going "This is theft arent you people ashamed?"

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Totally thought he was going to trick Bill into eating Impossible meat haha. Great science breakdown though, I definitely am rethinking how I do things in my dietary life after watching that.

It's also kind of funny to think Mark was waiting at Bill's house and had to make the food in his kitchen, and then Bill comes downstairs for 20-30 minutes and then leaves haha. I wonder what the waiting room is like at Bill Gates house, and I wonder how many meetings he has to come downstairs for everyday

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think Beyond burgers are pretty good. They're not 1:1 with your typical beef burger for me, but to be honest, most burgers aren't 1:1 with others either. Like, if you get a hamburger at restaurant a, it's probably not going to be the same as a hamburger from restaurant b. I don't think it's the same, but it's good in different ways.

Haven't had Impossible yet I don't think. Or maybe it's the reverse, can't remember.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This was a great video, and as someone who's been aware of Impossible burger and Beyond Meat but never done much to go try them I think I'm gonna aim to get those burgers more at places I go. Really glad that there's so much progress being made in these areas.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

Let us know what ya think, I haven't made one at home yet and had the same thought.

It was 5.99$ for two paddies of smallish size (when compared to normal beef paddies). You can get them at cosco for cheaper it seems.

I don't think I cooked them properly honestly because they weren't that great, specially considering the prize. I just really wanted to try them so I only slightly thawed them and I did it in a cast iron pan (which I don't have much experience with).

I think I'll try it again when I go to Cosco.

Oct 25, 2017
Define not good for you? They're probably significantly better than a real burger for you. But are no where near just eating a healthy salad.

If you have a gastrointestinal condition like IBS, colitis, or Crohn's the ingredients in the impossible burger can be incredibly stressful for your digestive system. Ingredients like yeast can also fuel the growth of bad bacteria in your colon. As someone diagnosed about 2.5 years ago, about half of that ingredient list sets off my alarm bells.

Before this stuff replaces anything, the ingredient composition needs a re-vamp. With all of the shitty things that have been introduced into the human diet post WWII in the service of chasing the almighty dollar, throwing fake meat onto that pile is going to make an increasing amount of people extremely uncomfortable.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
Kind of ignores one huge problem in that the idea that these technical innovations that help the average person make a difference in climate change only happen because of "clever individuals" or whatever is pretty much bullshit. if they happen at all (and they mostly don't) they happen under a capitalist framework and rely on market forces. If we continue to rely on that many of us will die. The massive corporations that pollute the most will need to be forced to stop. Technical innovations will certainly be necessary in some areas, but either way those will need to come from that government interference.