• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah no doubt. I thought the presentation was really excellent.

When it started I turned to my girlfriend and said, that it was clear that the audience wasn't me and her, but I was really impressed with his delivery.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I dont know if he's a standout orator. But I like him, and he did pretty awesome job breaking down the thought process behind the architecture in a very understandable way in a low key slide presentation. I know many people were disappointed thinking it would be a full reveal, but I thought it was really interesting, especially the approach to 3D audio. Definitely makes me excited for whats to come!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The guy is smart and good at his job, but calling what I watched in that video "masterful" oration is certainly an opinion.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Cerny For President!

giphy.gif

Alpolio

Oct 27, 2017
Fort Smith, Arkansas
I had to force myself to finish it. Ken Kutaragi had a cool T-Rex demo to show the devs in 95. This guy just brought numbers. He might as well been using an overhead projector.

deadlygantz

Oct 15, 2019
I just got around to watching PlayStation's "The Road To PS5" presentation - and I can't believe how fast it blew by - even though it was nearly an hour in length!

Mark Cerny is who I wish was my high school teacher - and I mean that for every single class that I took...as a matter of fact, I wish he was my every college professor and I wouldn't mind if he was my life coach! Everything that he says is eloquent, succinct and to the point and he words his vernacular in such a way that it is not only easy to compartmentalize and understand, but enjoyable to listen to.

I'm a reasonably intelligent person, but after listening to him explain things during this presentation, I feel like I could have designed the PlayStation 5.

If you haven't seen it yet, you need to watch this - he is absolutely incredible and is an unbelievably amazing asset to Sony.

To you, Mark Cerny:
BruisedAdventurousGelding-size_restricted.gif
I sense infatuation, in a good way?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
? I thought quite the opposite. His presentation skills leave a lot to be desired.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if this thread is all irony dudes doing a bit or actually liking him.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
The guys is brilliant but he sounds like a yoga instructor. Managed to turn an interesting topic into a snoozefest.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The whole cult of personality around Cerny is certainly something lol...

Like he's super smart and speaks well....ok?

Eh, I think 'ok' is understating it. I don't think it's that common to have someone who is 'super smart' and able to communicate their expertise really clearly in a public forum.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
He has a bizarre cadence that I wouldn't expect from a Californian. 60% of the way to the G-Man.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
He had a way too monotonic voice to sound human. Not mentioning those strangely disturbing smiles he'd throw out here and there to call him a masterful orator but at least the content of his presentation was interesting and we've got to learn more about the console.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Yeah, Cerny is great for technical presentations. I prefer his calm, monotonous delivery, it lets my mind focus on the actual content. He's up there with Carmack.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
He definitely has a way of talking that makes something mundane sound interesting. His unique way of speaking seems slightly odd at first, but then draws you in and makes you quietly interested. The way he described the SSD and variable frequency made me interested in this tech that otherwise would sound as dry as cardboard.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He has a relaxing voice and certainly knows his craft but damn if he is not terrible at making people exited for something. Reminds me of Reggie a bit. Obviously loves what he does but he is more likely to send me to sleep than he is getting me hyped for new tech haha.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I honestly don't like the way he speaks or presents. I do respect the hell out of him for all the work he's put into the Playstations over the years.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked this presentation.

However, if a place like this didn't understand that this presentation was going to be like this, Sony's messaging needs a lot of work. Yon can't argue with that.

Oct 31, 2017
The whole cult of personality around Cerny is certainly something lol...
It's always been fairly unsettling and in some cases like the old "tub thread" and this one borders into genuine creepiness.

The guy doesn't even have a pleasant voice to listen in general (the user that said he sounds like a serial killer was pretty damn on point) and still there are people here describing it as a god's gift to human ears.

And whoever said "It's the same for Phil Spencer" is full of shit, frankly.
I've read what people post about Spencer most of the times. At top you have comments boiling down to "He's a true bro of the Xbox community".
None of this cult-like nonsense.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not enough to say he was great at a technical presentation? That's an impressive skill in its own right without the absurd cult leader worship.

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with the OP.
I know nothing of the things he was talking about, and yet it all made sense.
Perfect rhythm, pace, elocution...

Kudos to him.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
He has a good radio voice but that presentation was a ???. Dude uses technical jargons like no tomorrow. As a result, someone like me who wants to be persuaded by Sony into buying a PS5 ends up giving zero shit about it, regardless of how Cerny talks about all the impressive tech behind PS5.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
I totally agree. I love his tone of voice. He comes across as very friendly, calm and rational. I also loved how he did not simplify the story and stayed technical without much use of buzzwords. I had to Google some of the terms he was throwing around, but the presentation was very insightful to me nonetheless.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
He's very polished no umms and ers or ahs but he's not a master orator, he simply doesn't have the voice for it. It's too flat, good oration includes emphasising key points through inflection. He doesn't do that at all.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's always been fairly unsettling and in some cases like the old "tub thread" and this one borders into genuine creepiness.

The guy doesn't even have a pleasant voice to listen in general (the user that said he sounds like a serial killer was pretty damn on point) and still there are people here describing it as a god's gift to human ears.

And whoever said "It's the same for Phil Spencer" is full of shit, frankly.
I've read what people post about Spencer most of the times. At top you have comments boiling down to "He's a true bro of the Xbox community".
None of this cult-like nonsense.
On the one hand you have people describing his voice as heavenly, on the other you have people describing it like a serial killer. Maybe you're both crazy.