• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Adventure Mode. That was a lot of fun and good challenge. However, playing the beta extensively and learning advanced techniques beforehand helped a lot. I can see someone who didn't play/learn from the beta would struggle a lot. Honestly, I'm pretty happy it was challenging because it was short and making it easy would've made it shorter. I didn't see any cheap AI like it was mentioned in some reviews tbh.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Oh and I thought this deserves a mention.. I really appreciate that this game boots up really fast. On portable systems I really dislike how a lot of games take a long time to get to the title screen even and makes me dread switching between games a bit when I don't have much time to play. Mario Tennis Aces is really fast at booting up and I really appreciate that. :)

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this game has zero match making because it just sent my sorry 35 point ass against someone with 4k points.

Three guesses how that went.

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only a couple hours in. What's up with the wild swings in difficulty in adventure mode? Also I'm trying to look past it, but any failed event in adventure is an absolute chore to restart. Really disliking that so far.

nick_b

Dec 10, 2017
Great stuff, very helpful!

giphy.gif

Cheers!

#gifsyoucanhear

Except I need the 2nd beer to be filled all the way up. It's bugging me.

Just ran through all the cups with Rosalina in an hour. KO'd Chain Chomp to win the final final. Now it's back to online simple for the next few days at least and then I'll probably be going back to other games. I'm gonna need a steady stream of skill based unlocks and some more modes to be drawn back. Even costume unlocks would be something. Hope they can turn this one around.

Beba

Oct 31, 2017
Holland
I think it's when you don't counter the shot correctly, and/or don't get enough on it. I would like a precise answer as well.

It's based on if you failed to counter their shot. Red counters blue, blue counters red, purple counters purple. If you, say, do purple vs red, a star will appear for the opponent. If you do blue vs purple, same thing. It also appears if you hit it with a lunge. As well as when you do a lob.

Thanks Revven this is what I needed!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
While I enjoyed the demo, I honestly prefer simple mode now. I finished those cups against CPU's and it just wasn't fun, Bowser was spamming zone shots on almost every shot with just a tiny red energy bar. Everyone was a noob in the demo, but when people figure out how to do that stuff, it's just not gonna be fun for me.

The actual sport gets too overpowered.

It kind of reminds me of playing online in Topspin 1 and every would just abuse the risk shot mechanic 24/7.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Lob shots seem absolutely useless at a somewhat high level play. Every characters recovery is too strong, definitely a shot that serves a better purpose on simple mode.

Anyways, the net saved me on this rally. Beat him thanks to a KO after a very tight match.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Won a standard rules tournament with a Waluigi. Came up against a really underwhelming Bowser Jr. in the final.

Having a dabble in simple rules tournaments now. Playing against Chain Chomp in simple rules is the anti-fun of Mario Tennis. He can return EVERYTHING. Had a match go on for absolutely ever and it was a boring way of attrition.

I assume this game has zero match making because it just sent my sorry 35 point ass against someone with 4k points.

Three guesses how that went.

There is one minor exception - players who have won a tournament become seeded and automatically progress to the 2nd round, so you won't play any tournament winners in Round 1. Small consolation, I know.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I just realized there's no way to challenge a decision like they showed on the trailer. I get why, but I would've loved having that option, especially if you sort of tease it, lol.

Anyways, I'm starting to lean more and more on Peach, her shots are soo satisfying to hit.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having a dabble in simple rules tournaments now. Playing against Chain Chomp in simple rules is the anti-fun of Mario Tennis. He can return EVERYTHING. Had a match go on for absolutely ever and it was a boring way of attrition.

You do realize that it's actually easier to win against the likes of Chain Chomp and Bowser Jr. in simple mode, right? Drop shots and lobs can actually get them because they don't have the luxury of trick shots.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Last night I went to a bar with friends to watch the World Cup. I brought my Switch commercial-style and we had a blast playing local MP, this game really takes me back to the days when I'd play Mario Tennis 64 with my friends. My GOTY so far, maybe.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that it's actually easier to win against the likes of Chain Chomp and Bowser Jr. in simple mode, right? Drop shots and lobs can actually get them because they don't have the luxury of trick shots.

I threw everything at this chain chomp including plenty of lobs, drops, slices, etc. He got to just about everything. Match went on for over 20 minutes and I was relieved it was over when I eventually lost the tiebreaker.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized there's no way to challenge a decision like they showed on the trailer. I get why, but I would've loved having that option, especially if you sort of tease it, lol.

Anyways, I'm starting to lean more and more on Peach, her shots are soo satisfying to hit.

It's in swing mode. You get three opportunities per match.

I have no idea, haven't played swing mode, but that would be a bit disappointing if so. I assume cause it's more of a party mode and it adds to that.

I think it's also because there are way more Outs since it controls differently, like in real tennis. The regular modes control in a way that makes Outs extremely rare.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I threw everything at this chain chomp including plenty of lobs, drops, slices, etc. He got to just about everything. Match went on for over 20 minutes and I was relieved it was over when I eventually lost the tiebreaker.
I mean yeah, that's what Chain Chomp does. He gets every ball. I still prefer a match against a Chain Chomp who can't trick shot to one who can.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
How do you do those smashes in simple mode? We were fighting against players that kept smashing in those stars but we didn't get stars to show up or smash.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's true that you need to counter shots to prevent a star appearing.

It seems like they're caused by reaching for a shot/hitting it with little charge.

The counter system seems purely for reducing knockback. Need to test more.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Even in simple mode Waluigi/Bowser Jr. seem pretty dominant. Still feel super underwhelmed with Speedy, or atleast Toad. His reach is soooo bad.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
This game is unbalanced as fuck. There's no reason to pick speedy, technical or all rounder. Waluigi basically takes up half the court

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It's in swing mode. You get three opportunities per match.

I think it's also because there are way more Outs since it controls differently, like in real tennis. The regular modes control in a way that makes Outs extremely rare.
zone shots and special shots go out from time to time.

That's weird that challenging isn't in the main mode....
it would make those shots pretty intense if you were sure of yourself.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Just played against my bf for about an hour, and almost every match went into a tiebreaker. Not sold on the Power characters, but the game is a blast overall!

Mikke

Oct 28, 2017
It's based on if you failed to counter their shot. Red counters blue, blue counters red, purple counters purple. If you, say, do purple vs red, a star will appear for the opponent. If you do blue vs purple, same thing. It also appears if you hit it with a lunge. As well as when you do a lob.
I saw a video claiming that as well but I don't think this is true. I just spent some time watching some streamers just to see if I could figure out what the hell makes the stars appear and I definitely saw many instances of people countering purple with purple and stars appearing or people countering incorrectly and no stars appearing.
Or is there anything else that contributes to stars that I am not aware of?

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Defense-type characters (and that includes Chain Chomp) are pretty stupid, yeah. Yoshi can run real fast wow, who gives a shit when Bowser Jr. can cover half the court just by standing still. Strong shots, sure. Hard angle shots, why not. Curved slices, ok. Being fast, very useful. All of that makes sense and all of that is negated by "I'm a fucking wall, good luck". That's just not a character type that should be in a tennis game.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Defense-type characters (and that includes Chain Chomp) are pretty stupid, yeah. Yoshi can run real fast wow, who gives a shit when Bowser Jr. can cover half the court just by standing still. Strong shots, sure. Hard angle shots, why not. Curved slices, ok. Being fast, very useful. All of that makes sense and all of that is negated by "I'm a fucking wall, good luck". That's just not a character type that should be in a tennis game.
I had a look at the rankings and saw bowser jr was in top a lot. So i picked him and i can see why when u press zl. Its ridiculous tbh

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Trick shot is worst thing about this game I think, esp since you're rewarded with more meter rather than draining it if you do it right.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
Once you see how quickly defensive characters build up meter and basically can use thier cutscene shot every 5 hit long rally you notice that the racquet count is bullshit

Oct 28, 2017
What does the taunt do when you are the receiver? I see you like powerup or something??

I think you return the ball a little harder? Maybe build some meter as well (not sure).
Yeah the surprisingly helpful tutorial page in the game says it just powers up the return of serve.

The same page also says you can hit L to cancel a charge - not sure why this is not mentioned anywhere but this page (and playing Simplified mode). Some real baffling decisions with the options and presentation in this game.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Do we know the resolution docked/undocked? Looks pretty clean.

Also I've been disconnected in finals twice now and I'm wired into my Switch too, so annoying :(

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

I find it incredibly difficult to get it past even Bowser in Simple mode against Ace difficulty AI. Though that is just more down to pure cheating by the AI.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
My god, I think I've never raged more about spending 60 bucks than with this game. I just played 2 hours, lost every game except for two. In one game the dude just ran over the court and the other game the dude did literally nothing.

Anyway... just deleted this now, never ever going back again.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HOW IN THE FUCK are you supposed to tell when a ball will hit the goddamn mast in the boat levels!?!

By creating stars you will see in advance where the ball will land. This court seems to be designed around the star system.

The same page also says you can hit L to cancel a charge - not sure why this is not mentioned anywhere but this page (and playing Simplified mode). Some real baffling decisions with the options and presentation in this game.

I had no idea about this, thank you! One of my only frustrations was the inability to cancel a charged shot.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Character Type:

Powerful: Their shots are fast.
Speedy: Their run speed is fast.
Technical: They can easily target the far corners of a court.
Tricky: Their slice bends a lot.
Defensive: They can cover a wide area.
All-Around: They have very balanced stats.

From the game itself. TheMoon feel free to place in the OP.​
thx will add

also added a link to the detailed rundown from prima games: https://www.primagames.com/games/mario-tennis-aces/tips/mario-tennis-aces-character-types

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, you absolutely do NOT need to use counters for regular shots.

Only against charged shots to prevent knockback.