• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
'free games' eh. I'd still rather just have reliable online gameplay, standard communication functionality, and not have to pay for p2p connections.

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
Is this something we'll be able to keep if we download it within the availability period or...? I already own the cartridge version and would love to just be able to play it whenever without swapping out games.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Play it people! Aces is easily my favourite Mario Tennis game, put around 70 hours into this according to my profile

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I would have preferred Captain Toad but hell, as little interest as I had in this game at and since release, I'll give Mario Tennis Aces a try if they're just... letting us play it.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh great, now game demos are behind a paywall too :/ I love you Nintendo but the NSO gating cloud saves and game trials is bullshit.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been tempted to pick this up but who knows I might buy it if it's good enough

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'll give it a whirl. I've been thinking of buying it lately; I held off on buying it at launch because I felt a bit burned over the state Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was released in.

Edit: Surprised they didn't start with Arms, I thought for sure that's the title they'd want to give a boost to.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The sub costs $40 less than PSN and Gold, so you can't expect free games each month like they do, or do you want the sub to cost $60?
I wouldn't mind paying $60 if the service was comparable to the others.
Ah, sorry, my bad. I was assuming that the argument was about the game being available to all users. Anyway, you can't really compare a 20 $ at year service vs a 60 $ at year service.
T
Yes, $40 difference but even at $20 it's a shit implementation in the first place. This Mario Tennis offering is clearly inspired by the PSN/XBO complimentary games offering provided for subscribers.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
This is such a great idea and a no brainer.

I'm surprised they didn't do this with ARMS. That seems like a no brainer, a Switch Year 1 game that was super successful but a new IP and everyone didn't try.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh great, now game demos are behind a paywall too :/ I love you Nintendo but the NSO gating cloud saves and game trials is bullshit.
Dude what? Literally PS4 does the same thing: Game "Demos"/Timed Trials and Cloud Saves are behind a paywall, granted for more money.

This is not something Nintendo invented, they're just copying others. I don't get why you're upset just copying what Sony is doing, and at least charging you less for it.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Dude what? Literally PS4 does the same thing: Game "Demos"/Timed Trials and Cloud Saves are behind a paywall, granted for more money.

This is not something Nintendo invented, they're just copying others. I don't get why you're upset just copying what Sony is doing, and at least charging you less for it.

They could have copied Microsoft, who does not gate cloud saves behind their sub. There is more than one competitor to copy from in the console space. And I'm an old school PC gamer too. I get aggravated at seeing the progress from shareware, to demos to now gated demos with no push back from consumers. A demo is supposed to generate sales, why are you putting it behind a frigging paywal if not to milk even more $ from folks? Wouldn't it actually be better if more people could try it?

Oct 25, 2017
NSO paid itself off with the voucher program which saved me like $80.
Kind of regret buying Mario Tennis, not because it's bad but because I never played it for whatever reason and now it's free for a week.

If you still think it's too expensive, there's the Mario Maker+NSO Bundle that's just $10 more.
If you have amazon prime you can get a year for free too.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They could have copied Microsoft, who does not gate cloud saves behind their sub. There is more than one competitor to copy from in the console space. And I'm an old school PC gamer too. I get aggravated at seeing the progress from shareware, to demos to now gated demos with no push back from consumers. A demo is supposed to generate sales, why are you putting it behind a frigging paywal if not to milk even more $ from folks? Wouldn't it actually be better if more people could try it?
...you do realize that Nintendo is still releasing demos that don't require NSO, right? They've literally already had 2 demos for MTA previously.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You can play the whole game for a week. That's not a tradional demo. The free to play weekends and stuff on PSN are not demos either.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Nice, I have wanted to give it a shot but always found something else more appealing to spend my money on. Looking forward to trying this.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So glad this is for the US as well. The only Switch game I don't own that I've been on the fence on (I mean I want to buy it but other games have taken priority).

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool. About time. Glad that Nintendo's finally doing something similar to Sony's Plus Trials, Microsoft's Free Play Days, and Steam's Free Weekends.

It'll be nice to see some new players online, if at least for a week.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish you could keep it but since it's not a game I plan on getting anytime soon I may check it out.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
NSO paid itself off with the voucher program which saved me like $80.
Kind of regret buying Mario Tennis, not because it's bad but because I never played it for whatever reason and now it's free for a week.

If you still think it's too expensive, there's the Mario Maker+NSO Bundle that's just $10 more.
If you have amazon prime you can get a year for free too.

There are a lot of cheap options:
In single you can buy the Mario maker bundle for 10+ euros, or the future tetris bundle. Or the Twitch promotion.
If you have 6 friend, you can subscribe a family pass for 5 euro at head (my subscription)

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a limited-time rental of the full game. That's not a demo.
It's basically the same as the Testfires for Splatoon, in that you can screw around for a certain amount of time. The thread title suggests that they're giving you the game to keep no strings attached, with a week to redeem the offer

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically the same as the Testfires for Splatoon, in that you can screw around for a certain amount of time. The thread title suggests that they're giving you the game to keep no strings attached
Testfires were only available for like 2 hours at different times across a weekend. And they were just one mode.

This is the full game that you can play for an entire week. The date is the duration in which the game is available to play.

It's no different really from this: