• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I enjoyed both Mario Golf Toadstool Tour on the GCN as well as World Tour on the 3DS.

Interestingly enough Camelot actually developed the original Hot Shots Golf / Everybody's Golf on the PSX before Clap Hanz took over development for the series. There are some similarities between the two games in terms of playstyle that still seems to hold up to this day.

Looking at the release dates of Mario Sports titles developed by Camelot under Nintendo. Ever since the N64 it seems Camelot has consistently alternated between both Mario Tennis and Mario Golf every year / every other year
  • 1999 - Mario Golf - N64 & GB Color
  • 2000 - Mario Tennis - N64 & GB Color
  • 2003 - Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - Gamecube
    Mario Golf: Advance Tour - GBA
    Mario Power Tennis - Gamecube
  • 2005 - Mario Tennis: Power Tour - GBA
  • 2012 - Mario Tennis Open - 3DS
  • 2014 - Mario Golf: World Tour - 3DS
  • 2015 - Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash - Wii U
  • 2018 - Mario Tennis: Aces - Switch
The only exception to the rule seems to be the Wii and Wii U since Nintendo was dividing development between it's console and handheld releases at the time, which explains why there was a Tennis game on the Wii U but no Golf game, however Camelot did develop a Golf game on the Wii called "We Love Golf" without the Mario theme branding, which is an outlier in this case.

It has been 3 years in between Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Mario Tennis: Aces. Unless Camelot has multiple teams. I'm not sure if a new Mario Golf game would come out this year. It might be too soon, but still it has been 6 years since the last Mario Golf game and with the consolidation between handheld and console development, not to mention Camelot traditionally alternating between a Golf and Tennis game I'd guess the next Mario Golf game would be coming soon. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I would like a Golf game.

(though my heart wants Camelot to develop something else entirely)

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That'd be cool, Mario Golf has always been a lot more fun for me.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Obviously Camelot have been working on something and considering your list, Mario Golf is being developed for some time now and could come out this year.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so. I played so much Mario Golf: World Tour (think I was up over 200 hours when I finally sold my 3DS), so ready for another one. Especially interested to see how they build on what they had in World Tour where, even a few years after release, the tournament schedule was still running (think it worked out at a new tournament every couple weeks). Would be another good way for them to push their online stuff.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly. They're not going to have a new Mario Tennis yet and probably the only other alternative is Golden Sun, which I think would be a lower priority as they would have difficulty making a game of that scale.

Either that or Nintendo is letting them make a DK64 sequel like they wanted to.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I do hope so. Mario Golf on the 3DS was amazing.

For one, there was super cheap DLC that had remakes of all the N64 courses. That alone was so good.

But then on top of that they had regular tournaments where you could earn new items, and users could even make their own tournaments as we did on GAF a lot. We had a nice little community of people taking part in those and it made the game last for ages.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo would be stupid to not beg Camelot into developing Mario Golf so they have something for Switch after spending their big first party releases.

OP
OP
OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I do hope so. Mario Golf on the 3DS was amazing.

For one, there was super cheap DLC that had remakes of all the N64 courses. That alone was so good.

But then on top of that they had regular tournaments where you could earn new items, and users could even make their own tournaments as we did on GAF a lot. We had a nice little community of people taking part in those and it made the game last for ages.

I was mainly doing the challenge mode. I spent a lot of time with the mini-games such as Ring Master and Coin Collector challenges.

I did like the course variety. Base game with 10 was decent but the DLC bumped it up to 16.

I wouldn't mind if they did a remix of old courses and new ones, kind of like how Mario Kart modernizes old tracks from the GBA and SNES games.

A solid Mario Golf game with about 20 courses, almost all of the characters returning, and the challenge and tournament modes would be the best.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It was definitely uh not great...

Looked super impressive though which I think current Camelot would struggle with on Switch.

The gods dont want us to have a JRPG as great as the first two Golden Suns in terms of having a combination of fantastic dungeon design, gameplay, characters and story.

It's truly sad.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo would be stupid to not beg Camelot into developing Mario Golf so they have something for Switch after spending their big first party releases.

I'm sure Nintendo wants it, the bigger question is how long would it take them to make--the Switch tennis game had the (awful) Wii U game to build off, but they'd be starting largely from scratch with golf, and one would presume the courses add way more work than they were required to do for tennis.

Years ago, one of the Takahashi brothers said his dream Nintendo project would be a new DK in the style of DK64.

The gods dont want us to have a JRPG as great as the first two Golden Suns in terms of having a combination of fantastic dungeon design, gameplay, characters and story.

It's truly sad.

The gods delivered this game years before the first Golden Sun came out, it's called Lufia 2.

OP
OP
OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I like the course gimmicks. Like for Toadstool's Castle Grounds in the Gamecube game had pipes you could use as a shortcut if you carefully made your shot. One of the Par 5's could be done in two shots since one of the Pipes puts your ball next to the green.

Cheep Cheep Lagoon for World Tour had underwater physics, and the DK themed courses with the large barrels that could hinder or help you depending on their position added a degree of unpredictability.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm sure Nintendo wants it, the bigger question is how long would it take them to make--the Switch tennis game had the (awful) Wii U game to build off, but they'd be starting largely from scratch with golf, and one would presume the courses add way more work than they were required to do for tennis.

Years ago, one of the Takahashi brothers said his dream Nintendo project would be a new DK in the style of DK64.

The gods delivered this game years before the first Golden Sun came out, it's called Lufia 2.

I like Lufia but I think it doesn't compare.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hope so, had a good time playing with the previous forum community on Mario Golf 3DS, a Switch game would improve a lot on multiplayers.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Golden sun with Xenoblade engine!

Joking...

Btw Mario tennis was heavily criticized but it has been a great GaaS game imho

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I think it's a safe bet given the success Tennis Aces had.

Personally I think it's a likely candidate for summer 2021 - Nintendo usually have notable games out across June and July on Switch. Obviously, Tennis: Aces launched in that timeframe in 2018. I think, given Camelot's small size, post-launch support for Aces and the fact they don't have an existing HD base to use for Golf (the way they could use the Wii U Tennis as a base for Aces), a 3 year gap between the games makes sense. On top of that, I'd hope they work on some substantial single-player options for Golf. They didn't quite do this with Aces, though it was obviously more substantial than the previous entry. Finally, there are signs we're getting a 3D World port and Paper Mario as two 'Mario' franchise releases for 2020 and I think, if there's a third this year, it's more likely going to be a Party game.

Camelot's next project won't be Golden Sun, unfortunately. Again, their small size really works against them there. On top of the commercial failure of the last game, it's also the case that Nintendo's JRPG library is much more solid than it was when they let Camelot work on Golden Sun games. With franchises like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem gaining steam over the last decade, I don't think Nintendo will view another middle-tier JRPG franchise as worthwhile (especially not when they can count on Square Enix and others to provide supplementary software in that genre).

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
There was a weird split between Camelot and Nintendo at the end of the GCN/early Wii days, which was the reason why their partnership kinda skipped the Wii era. Camelot wanted to focus on the development of a Golf MMO for PC, but things didn't quite pan out. What later got released as We Love Golf were the rebuild scraps of that title. I think Camelot also had a bit of an exodus at that time from which they never quite recovered.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was a weird split between Camelot and Nintendo at the end of the GCN/early Wii days, which was the reason why their partnership kinda skipped the Wii era. Camelot wanted to focus on the development of a Golf MMO for PC, but things didn't quite pan out. What later got released as We Love Golf were the rebuild scraps of that title. I think Camelot also had a bit of an exodus at that time from which they never quite recovered.

Honestly it's kind of weird that they reunited. Usually when there's a split like that the dev strikes out and ends up going out of business and Nintendo just continues trucking whilst ignoring them.

Oct 29, 2017
No shit? Of course that's what's next.

Don't expect it to come out until 2022 at the earliest though. It took Camelot 4 years to make MTA (Ultra Smash was the early alpha version of Aces) and they're only about 44 staff members strong (not to mention that they were also supporting MTA with post-launch DLC); so you're gonna be waiting a LONG time for their next game.

Coincidentally, Golden Sun is off the table for Switch because Camelot is too small a development studio to make a HD RPG. Only way that a new Golden Sun is ever happening is if it's co-developed by Monolith Soft (and they currently have their hands full with Zelda, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade HD and other projects).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Came to post this. Is Camelot still third party ?

bigger question is "do they still hate sega". though I'd think a lot of the decision makers back then at sega who screwed them over have long since gone.
even if they only do nintendo projects, it'd probably be easier for them to work on the franchise with nintendo as an intermediary.

Hydewell

Feb 12, 2019
Spain
I wish they did a new Golden Sun game and Nintendo give the Mario Sports titles to Nd Cube (or co-developing with them). But I'm afraid Camelot will continue to do the Golf-Tennis titles until they'll disappear.
As some people said before, they're really a small team. Also, it doesn't help Furukawa (the current Nintendo's CEO) loves Golf Story. So I think this year Nintendo will reveal a new Mario Golf game, maybe with a proper campaign.

bigger question is "do they still hate sega". though I'd think a lot of the decision makers back then at sega who screwed them over have long since gone.
even if they only do nintendo projects, it'd probably be easier for them to work on the franchise with nintendo as an intermediary.
They've already expressed their desires to do a a new shining force. It's just SEGA isn't interested in doing a new entry (or SEGA doesn't think Camelot could do a good entry)

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I mean I loved Toadstool tour, and if they go the Advance Tour route for the campaign then it's even better.

That said, it makes me very sad thinking that Camelot is just a Mario Sports studio nowadays, when they've made some fantastic RPGs. I really hope Golden Sun isn't a dead franchise :(

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just give me Toadstool Tour OR a brand a new Mario Golf game. I absolutely love the series, and I'm ready for a fresh home console version. If not though ... I'll very gladly settle for a digital version of TT.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
What I really want is another Mario Hoops, Nintendo should have a team for all Mario Sports games so we don't have like only two per console

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ready for a new Mario RPG (Role Playing Golf).

I mean I loved Toadstool tour, and if they go the Advance Tour route for the campaign then it's even better.

That said, it makes me very sad thinking that Camelot is just a Mario Sports studio nowadays, when they've made some fantastic RPGs. I really hope Golden Sun isn't a dead franchise :(
Mario Golf and Mario Tennis used to be their best RPGs tbh.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Please, World Tour was fantastic (probably my most played 3DS game) and we have had a dearth of arcade golf games this generation, Everybody's Golf was awesome mechanically but suffered terribly in regards to satisfying progression.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I hope so, although at this stage I'd just take anything that's as fun as the Wii Sports golf on Switch.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Golf would be fun

I still just want them to work on a new JRPG IP though

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I feel really strong about a Mario Golf game coming this summer. Maybe the July title?