• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Color Splash is 100% an RPG

And is also a great game

This is wrong on so many levels. Color Splash likes to pretend that it's an RPG with the horrible battle system but it's just a bad adventure game.

Heck even Super Paper Mario was more of an RPG and stuck closer to the previous two games with its structure. Sticker Star and Color Splash aside from reusing the Paper Mario brand have nothing to do with the first two games.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Color Splash is 100% an RPG

And is also a great game

I thought we were over the hill with this discussion already. It's alright to respect the game and to like it as a Sequel to Sticker Star, but this game is an insult to every fan of the proper Paper Mario series. The RPG and story elements are shallow and the whole game reminds me of the dark days of the boring, childish Nintendo we used to know basically since the beginning of the Wii U era.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how many RPG elements the next Paper Mario will include, what I believe though is that will get another PM on Switch because the graphics style shown with Color Splash is a good fit for modern consoles (something I couldn't say about Mario & Luigi series).

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Are you implying that Sticker Star is better than Super Paper Mario?

Because I want to hear a reason why that is.
I do really like them both, but Sticker Star more consistently surprised me through its gameplay, whereas the clever components of Super Paper Mario are largely extraneous to the actual mechanics.

Super Paper Mario really started the series's willingness to take risks, though, like with little puzzles that in other games would be 231 (23 is number 1!) that in SPM are 23 digits long. Little things like that, that add an absurd element, are wonderful. But the reliance of context clues and learning from failure in Sticker Star really made me feel like I figured something out in the boss battles, and that's what I loved. Most puzzle games are just going through the motions, toiling through sokoban like a roundabout Sisyphus; it's nice to reload from save and say, "What could I do different here? What does this setting evoke?"

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do really like them both, but Sticker Star more consistently surprised me through its gameplay, whereas the clever components of Super Paper Mario are largely extraneous to the actual mechanics.

Super Paper Mario really started the series's willingness to take risks, though, like with little puzzles that in other games would be 231 (23 is number 1!) that in SPM are 23 digits long. Little things like that, that add an absurd element, are wonderful. But the reliance of context clues and learning from failure in Sticker Star really made me feel like I figured something out in the boss battles, and that's what I loved. Most puzzle games are just going through the motions, toiling through sokoban like a roundabout Sisyphus; it's nice to reload from save and say, "What could I do different here? What does this setting evoke?"

I see, while I personally feel sticker star is the worst of the series, I can respect your opinion.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think no nintendo series is ever really dead. Im sure we will even get an fzero revival... some day.

tumblr_p3l6073i8v1uu22sko1_400.jpg
I wonder if that was a Miyamoto idea also.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah probably but you know, new things will happen and they'll come back eventually.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Hey all, can we get an f in the chat for me?

Sticker Star is the only Paper Mario I've played. Legitimately the worst Nintendo game I've ever bought and beaten.

And only 18 years to the next Kid Icarus entry. How time flies.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine if Nintendo keeps taking an extended break from those. They got kinda stale for me after Thousand Year Door. I'm sure in due time someone at Ninty will have an inspired take on those that they can't resist making a reality.