• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Got this game about a week or two ago (when it was on that E3 sale) and I'm loving it so far (close to halfway through the main campaign I think).
It's exactly the difficulty level I want from a turn-based strategy game (I find stuff like XCOM way too stressful to enjoy), and I absolutely LOVE the music in the game, it sounds just like a Banjo Kazooie game (unsurprising knowing that Grant Kirkhope did the music!).

It's funny that this Mario game sounds like Banjo Kazooie, and Mario Odyssey ended up playing a bit like a Banjo Kazooie game (open levels filled with moons/jiggies and all the transformations).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
DK using his exact post boss combo from Retro's games at one point was a nice touch.
I guess I'm nearing the end now, these later maps have finally had me need to replay in order to get my golds.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it last night, that end fight was frustrating as everyone kept getting battered all over the map but got there in the end.

Is it worth collecting the jigsaw pieces?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Did anyone finish all the post-adventure challenges on this? I beat every single one except the one where you have 1 turn to collect 1 washing machine part. It feels really frustrating and unfun because it feels like trial and error over and over to find how the AI behaves and reacts to any given thing, as well as what direction the part falls out from when the Collector is killed from a given position or direction. I can't get it to land in any space I can step on. Ughhhhh. Any help?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the last of the Ultimate Challenges! Cute bonus cutscene afterwards. It has been a fun 70 hours I've had with the game but now it's time to say goodbye to Mario + Rabbids. I really hope Ubisoft Milan works on a sequel sometime!

Did anyone finish all the post-adventure challenges on this? I beat every single one except the one where you have 1 turn to collect 1 washing machine part. It feels really frustrating and unfun because it feels like trial and error over and over to find how the AI behaves and reacts to any given thing, as well as what direction the part falls out from when the Collector is killed from a given position or direction. I can't get it to land in any space I can step on. Ughhhhh. Any help?

By far the worst of the post game challenges. What I did was push and kill the Rabbid with the part on the tower using Rabbid Cranky and Rabbid Peach. It was basically trial and error until it fell on a tile on that landmass below the tower that I could send Rabbid Cranky to go through the pipe and grab afterwards.

So turn order was like, have Rabbid Cranky bomb everyone at start and don't move him. Then move Rabbid Peach up to shoot directly at the Rabbid with the part and kill it. Then hope the push effect blessed me with putting the part out over on that landmass near the pipe so Rabbid Cranky could run to get it.

You may need to experiment with where you place Rabbid Peach since push will change the enemy Rabbids position depending on the tile she fires from.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
*$%@(*$#^(@%^@($&@($&(@*&^#(@^*$(@&%()@*$)@

After what must have been an hour or more. I got it. I ended up using Cranky to bait the Collector into moving into a specific spot after Peach pushed it out with just the right angle so it wouldn't fall out of bounds and would actually move down the pipe. Then DK used magnet to get him close, and I just had to pray using ths shittiest weapon that the special effect wouldn't trigger so it would die close enough so DK could grab the part.

G A R B A G E design. (._.)

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I believe I've found myself at the last boss, no spoilers, and when I try to use the two Eye skills together from Rabbid Cranky and Donkey Kong, and the game keeps crashing. Anybody else experience this?

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017

After what must have been an hour or more. I got it. I ended up using Cranky to bait the Collector into moving into a specific spot after Peach pushed it out with just the right angle so it wouldn't fall out of bounds and would actually move down the pipe. Then DK used magnet to get him close, and I just had to pray using ths shittiest weapon that the special effect wouldn't trigger so it would die close enough so DK could grab the part.

There is a way easier plan, just use peach secondary weapon and let DK carry it and throw it at the enemies and the part will be in cranky reach.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the main DLC campaign and grabbed me puzzle pieces.
A great gameplay extender to the rabbids formula with some glorious DK fan service.

Only real gripe is I no longer want to see any more block pushing and switch pressing puzzles in my life, feels like the ratio of them to everything else went up even further this time in order to accommodate the various art collectables in a shorter campaign.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Perfect OT title really, looking forward to the closest thing to the next 3D DK game, we even got more Kirkhope again!
Only ÂŁ12 quid to boot since I don't feel the need to be curb-stomped by the season pass super challenge maps.

Hmm, I should start the update
f49.gif

This GIF is everything.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Missing 2 puzzle pieces. Is there a guide anywhere? Missed one in world 3 and one in world 4.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Missing 2 puzzle pieces. Is there a guide anywhere? Missed one in world 3 and one in world 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFD14urHs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1hm_MZHcU

So how long is this dlc overall? 10+ hours ?
Yep, that's a decent estimate if you go for 100%.

I'm very nearly done with the game, but Ultimate Challenge 3... I got to within one move of success, but damn, this is a tricky one. Any tips from anyone? What exactly determines enemy spawns, and is it only one (group) spawn from a given area or will they repeat?

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFD14urHs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1hm_MZHcU

Yep, that's a decent estimate if you go for 100%.

I'm very nearly done with the game, but Ultimate Challenge 3... I got to within one move of success, but damn, this is a tricky one. Any tips from anyone? What exactly determines enemy spawns, and is it only one (group) spawn from a given area or will they repeat?

Keep your team together as best you can. The more you move on, the quicker new enemies spawn. Defeat as many enemies as possible while still destroying the bad banana's.

You have 20+ turns if I remember correctly, I had 5-6 still leftover when I finished so they give you enough "time."

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I mean, I don't regret buying it, I had a lot of fun with it. It really depends on how much you liked the base game. If you loved that and want more, it's definitely worth it.

It's no Hollow Knight in regards to value though. I got that for $15 and had a 45 hour, goty worthy experience. This dlc isn't like that, but not much is.
To be fair Hollow Knights value eclipses the value of most games.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I'm really bummed I have to use Rabbid Peach. She was my least used character in the original adventure. She's far outclassed by everyone else.

Oh well lol. Guess it's for the best since I've forgotten how to play
Rabbid Peach was great to use along side Mario and Luigi, especially for long range battles. And her healing ability has great range too

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Keep your team together as best you can. The more you move on, the quicker new enemies spawn. Defeat as many enemies as possible while still destroying the bad banana's.

You have 20+ turns if I remember correctly, I had 5-6 still leftover when I finished so they give you enough "time."
And done! Thanks again for the advice, you're absolutely right - slow and steady is defintiely the way to approach this one, which wasn't actually that hard in the end, and very satisfying taking out each enemy pack as the level progressed. That's both the base game and the DLC 100% complete now, and a great experience it's been throughout. I hope that we see more in a similar vein in future!

Minor note, it's nice that the story + challenges give enough bananas to buy all weapons, in contrast to being far short of coins in the base game.

I'm really bummed I have to use Rabbid Peach. She was my least used character in the original adventure. She's far outclassed by everyone else.

Oh well lol. Guess it's for the best since I've forgotten how to play
Rabbid Peach was great to use along side Mario and Luigi, especially for long range battles. And her healing ability has great range too
Her straightforward healing ability is likely a significant factor supporting her inclusion, as some form of healing mechanic is needed and hers is the most flexible. She fits in well from a story point of vew too.

Really enjoyed it but finished it in 5 hours. Very good and I can't wait for a sequel
That's got to be just the main story, I assume? You ought to try the challenges if you haven't already.

Nov 4, 2017
I caved and bought this a couple of nights ago, and I'm enjoying it. It's more of the same game I love but with a few little tweeks to keep it fresh. The quirky, endearing humour is a treat. Rabbids Peach is particularly funny. My only beef would be that it's a bit too easy so far, and it sucks having to start over from zero.

Also, I have a buddy coming to stay on the Weekend so I hope he's keen for some Co-op.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Question about post-game stuff:

Do you get anything from completing the ultimate challenges? I still remember what a huge pain they were in the main game and I don't know if I want to go through that again in the dlc

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Question about post-game stuff:

Do you get anything from completing the ultimate challenges? I still remember what a huge pain they were in the main game and I don't know if I want to go through that again in the dlc
Despite my post above, they're not actually *that* bad. However, in answer to your question,

There's a short final cutscene, but that's about it. Of course, you also get the satisfaction of that "100%" on your save file!

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I mean, I don't regret buying it, I had a lot of fun with it. It really depends on how much you liked the base game. If you loved that and want more, it's definitely worth it.

It's no Hollow Knight in regards to value though. I got that for $15 and had a 45 hour, goty worthy experience. This dlc isn't like that, but not much is.

Lol 15 bucks is a really good price for the dlc.
Don't use Hollow Knight as comparison because Hollow Knight is basically a steal.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm making my way through the challenge missions, but I'm stuck at the one where I have to collect the washing machine piece in one turn. I know that (am pretty sure that?) I need to bounce the little guy holding the piece backward and into the path of another rabbid who I can lure down with DK's bongos special, collecting the piece on the way down.

Or I'm totally wrong and should try another strategy.

Maybe I should just look this up on YouTube.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure this is the intended solution:

Have Rabbid Peach move up and deploy a sentry, and have DK grab the sentry and throw it at the Collector. Then, if the Collector isn't dead, have Rabbid Cranky finish it off. For some reason, if you hit the Collector with a sentry, it causes the washing machine part to drop in a spot where Rabbid Cranky can reach it. This worked for me every single time I tried it.

...Yeah, that challenge is really dumb.

Last edited:

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky

I walked up with Peach and shot the Collector with her normal gun, doing a little over half his health's worth in damage. Then I lobbed a grenade from Cranky's starting position to finish him off. The washing machine part fell right below him, within range of Cranky's normal movement through a single pipe. Was just my second try on that challenge.

The game's design is perfectly fine.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Lol 15 bucks is a really good price for the dlc.
Don't use Hollow Knight as comparison because Hollow Knight is basically a steal.
If you read my post properly, you'll see I said pretty much exactly that at the end of my post. It's no hollow knight, but not much is. I also said I didn't regret buying it and that if you loved the base game then it's absolutely worth it. I wasn't complaining about the price.

Nov 4, 2017
Well, I was on the final DLC boss last night and then the game crashed. D'oh. I'll try again tonight.

The xpack has been a lot of fun, but the asking price was definitely steep for what you get. For AU$30 I could buy a big AAA game on Playstation or Steam and walk away with change. I don't have any regrets, but that pricing is brutal.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I walked up with Peach and shot the Collector with her normal gun, doing a little over half his health's worth in damage. Then I lobbed a grenade from Cranky's starting position to finish him off. The washing machine part fell right below him, within range of Cranky's normal movement through a single pipe. Was just my second try on that challenge.

The game's design is perfectly fine.

This is what you did?

I've tried that numerous times, and every single time, the part drops in that exact same spot in the video, where no one can reach it.

EDIT: Figured it out. Apparently where your characters are standing affects where the part will drop.

If you move DK to the spot in this video beforehand...

...then the part will drop in a reachable spot every time.

Last edited:

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone confirm if the main game was patched to be easier? I heard people say the game was pretty difficult but I've not encountered any of the scenarios that have caused me to replay them multiple times. Most of the time I reroll the skill tree and I can get by the specific puzzles.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Can anyone confirm if the main game was patched to be easier? I heard people say the game was pretty difficult but I've not encountered any of the scenarios that have caused me to replay them multiple times. Most of the time I reroll the skill tree and I can get by the specific puzzles.
How far are you into the game? I wouldn't say that it's regarded as being especially difficult on the whole, but there's a bit of a difficulty spike when you reach the third world.

Nov 4, 2017
I found the difficulty gradient a little uneven. The game was mostly pretty easy, but a few maps would be noticably harder than those before and after, and at one point I had to go farm coins for a bit to get better weapons. I don't know about any patching though. I played the main missions in January and am watching the DLC end credits as I type :)

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
How far are you into the game? I wouldn't say that it's regarded as being especially difficult on the whole, but there's a bit of a difficulty spike when you reach the third world.

I've just finished chapter 2 in world 3. Maybe I miss heard about the difficulty I've gone back and and perfected all of the extra challenges as well, apart from the super hard ones.

I found the difficulty gradient a little uneven. The game was mostly pretty easy, but a few maps would be noticably harder than those before and after, and at one point I had to go farm coins for a bit to get better weapons. I don't know about any patching though. I played the main missions in January and am watching the DLC end credits as I type :)

The games been overly generous with coins and I only buy new weapons if Mario luigi or rabbids Mario. I've found rabbids luigi and rabbid peach to be mostly useless since I've got rabbid Mario and his blast dash.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
The games been overly generous with coins and I only buy new weapons if Mario luigi or rabbids Mario. I've found rabbids luigi and rabbid peach to be mostly useless since I've got rabbid Mario and his blast dash.
On this point, just bear in mind that you're going to be a long way off being able to buy all weapons by the end of the game, unless you do *a lot* of grinding. This is different in the DLC, where buying everything is quite readily attainable.

Nov 4, 2017
Wut?! Rabbid Luigi is the best and I'll fight you in the bike racks after school :P

I found Rabbid Luigi to be very self-sufficient with his vamp skills. I usually use Rabbid Luigi and regular Peach, but Rabbid Mario is a boss too.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
EDIT: Figured it out. Apparently where your characters are standing affects where the part will drop.

If you move DK to the spot in this video beforehand...

...then the part will drop in a reachable spot every time.

Yep, that's how it happened for me. Had the part dropped into an unreachable spot instead, I would have gotten frustrated too. :p

The Kid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This DLC looks great! I just started playing the base game and it's really fun, but I have a really dumb question. How do I access the skill tree? I just got Luigi as a character but don't see an option to access the skill tree when I go to battle HQ. Looking at videos online, there should be three options at HQ (change party, weapons, skill tree) but I just get the first two. thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
This DLC looks great! I just started playing the base game and it's really fun, but I have a really dumb question. How do I access the skill tree? I just got Luigi as a character but don't see an option to access the skill tree when I go to battle HQ. Looking at videos online, there should be three options at HQ (change party, weapons, skill tree) but I just get the first two. thanks for the help!
I can't immediately recall for certain, but it may just be that it doesn't unlock immediately. Try completing a few battles and see if it shows up.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it has been mentioned but I really appreciate all the small touches the devs added to this DK Adventure DLC. Two things I have noticed:

1. It is much easier to navigate the environments with the normal character height of Rabbid Cranky than it was with the low profile of Beepo.
2. They renamed the easy mode prompt to just say extra health which is all easy mode was anyways.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I've been interested in this DLC and I noticed that the European version has a special physical version but I'm not sure if all of it comes inside of the cartridge or it just comes with a digital code for it. Does anyone know?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a good list of ideas on how to handle the Ultimate Challenges, those things are killer.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just realized I never bought this expansion. Thinking about grabbing it. Does it ever go on sale? Might decide to wait for that. If I have already beaten the game, will the DLC be too easy or will the enemies scale with me?

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Just realized I never bought this expansion. Thinking about grabbing it. Does it ever go on sale? Might decide to wait for that. If I have already beaten the game, will the DLC be too easy or will the enemies scale with me?
It was the case for a long while that the base game came up in sales, as did the Gold version - but never the DLC on its own. However, that changed with a few of the more recent sales, so I'd suggest looking out for it around Black Friday as the end of the month.

You'll be playing with a new set of characters (aside from Rabbid Peach), so levelling will also start afresh.