• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People constantly demanding Mario Kart turn into "Nintendo Kart" or "Smash Kart" is one of my biggest gaming pet peeves, lol. "Mario Kart" is one of the most recognizable IPs in gaming history. Changing the title would be utter madness. It's like suggesting GTA6 instead being titled "Big Car Steal-y" or something. You don't blow up your franchise identity like that.

Now, if it were "Mario Kart: [insert franchise expanding subtitle]" that would be better of course. Although honestly, I don't even like that concept. I didn't like the guest DLC characters in 8 at all. It's just too muddled IMO to already have 30 something Mario characters and then throw in a random handful of others. At that point it feels like you HAVE to put everyone in, and just Link/Villager/Inkling feels really off.

There's plenty of room to expand on actual interesting Mario (and DK) universe characters. Ditch the babies and the metals and pull in some actual Mario deepcuts that people care about.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing how we have Animal Crossing, Zelda & Splatoon characters along with F-Zero & Excitebike courses in the last one, lets cut the crap and make it Nintendo Kart already.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Koopalings were a great addition to 8, as well as the crossover characters. Also more of those, please. In terms of Mario series characters, I think they should start bringing in characters from the RPGs (I know this will never happen). And also yeah bring back the glaring omissions like Diddy and Birdo.

Crossover: Kirby, Olimar (and the other captains if you're feeling saucy), Captain Falcon, Samus, Zelda, and if it's even possible, ask some of the third parties in Smash if they're willing to join in like Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc (especially the ones who already got Mii costumes)

Mario series: Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Kamek, Piranha Plant, Petey, King Boo, Nabbit, Fawful, more that I'm sure are slipping my mind

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
The amount of characters is perfect as is, just have two seaters like in double dash.

Oct 26, 2017
Swap out some metallic/baby weirdos for WarioWare cast, they deserve it. And maybe merge all the koopalings into one character slot like in Smash

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
For the love of god no Smash Kart nonsense. We do not need anime swords in freaking Mario Kart. Honestly one of the most appealing points of the series for me is playable Mario enemies, like Koopa Troopa and Lakitu. They're simple, cute designs that work well with this kind of game and Mario spin offs are the only chance we get to play as them.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Does anybody actually play as the babies?
Also the metal/tanuki/etc variants are kinda neat but would be better suited as alternate costumes rather than characters (the game already allows for alternate costumes so these feel like padding).

The Koopa kids are fine, at least they are different characters.
In answer the the OP question: more colours for Shy Guy please.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Super Smash Kart or Smash Bros. Kart is the real answer. Get all kinds of awesome characters in there. MK8 is a fantastic game but the roster sucks. I can't see Nintendo doing that, though. I'm sure they want Smash to be it's own thing.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Must Haves:
  • Diddy Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Kranky Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Birdo
  • Captain Toad
  • Petey Piranha Plant
  • Kamek
  • Nabbit
  • KIRBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Zelda
Sure Why Not:
  • Tom Nook
  • Pig Gannon
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
  • Banadana Waddle Dee
  • Pac-Man
  • Sonic
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Crash
  • Pikachu

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bring everyone over from Smash, except those anime characters. That said, King Boo will always be my go to.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to happen, but can you imagine how orgasmic it would be to race along the Bionis complete with remixed versions of Xenoblade's amazing music?

Oct 28, 2017
People constantly demanding Mario Kart turn into "Nintendo Kart" or "Smash Kart" is one of my biggest gaming pet peeves, lol. "Mario Kart" is one of the most recognizable IPs in gaming history. Changing the title would be utter madness. It's like suggesting GTA6 instead being titled "Big Car Steal-y" or something. You don't blow up your franchise identity like that.

Now, if it were "Mario Kart: [insert franchise expanding subtitle]" that would be better of course. Although honestly, I don't even like that concept. I didn't like the guest DLC characters in 8 at all. It's just too muddled IMO to already have 30 something Mario characters and then throw in a random handful of others. At that point it feels like you HAVE to put everyone in, and just Link/Villager/Inkling feels really off.

There's plenty of room to expand on actual interesting Mario (and DK) universe characters. Ditch the babies and the metals and pull in some actual Mario deepcuts that people care about.
I agree they should focus more on the wider Mario universe instead of completely changing the identity into Smash Bros but racing. Imagine a Mario Kart game that cut down on the babies other derivative characters and instead pulled from the Wario and Donkey Kong series. Playing as Captain Syrup, Mona, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Jimmy T etc would be great.

Just saying, it would still keep the identity of Mario Kart while broadening the character selection and locations.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
I've been saying this for years: Nintendo are really limiting themselves by not including characters from all of their major properties.

Link was a good start, but I want Mario & Nintendo All-Stars Racing. WITH Banjo-Kazooie.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Either:

All Mario Kart veterans minus guest characters from 8 and babies, metal, tanooki and any other variations on an existing character (maybe add skins as well as kart customization). Add whoever from Mario-adjacent franchises, I'm not picky. Poochy would be cool, I guess.

Or:

Just go full Super Smash Kart already and quit dicking around with half-measures.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I really find it hard to believe that every alternate version of Mario and Peach are going to be returning next game, especially as the cat suit is a little out of vogue now. Metal Mario should never be cut though, especially if the franchise was to be upgraded to "Smash" kart.

Add more villains playable, Magikoopa, Hammer Bro, a Goomba, a Piranha Plant, anything, I love playing as Boo and Koopa as it is. That and just add franchise sidekicks like Poochy and Diddy, especially since Poochy had his weird non-cameo in SMO

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Koopalings were a great addition to 8, as well as the crossover characters. Also more of those, please. In terms of Mario series characters, I think they should start bringing in characters from the RPGs (I know this will never happen). And also yeah bring back the glaring omissions like Diddy and Birdo.

Crossover: Kirby, Olimar (and the other captains if you're feeling saucy), Captain Falcon, Samus, Zelda, and if it's even possible, ask some of the third parties in Smash if they're willing to join in like Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc (especially the ones who already got Mii costumes)

Mario series: Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Kamek, Piranha Plant, Petey, King Boo, Nabbit, Fawful, more that I'm sure are slipping my mind
If we get third parties, we need Sonic and Crash for the ultimate Kart crossover.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
  • E. Gadd da Gawd.
  • F.L.U.D.D. (I mean it talks, if Petey Piranha can race, so can this spigot)
  • Kamek
  • Capitan Todd
  • Wart
  • Mouser

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Ditch those filler characters (koopas, babies). In their place, add characters like Diddy Kong, king bob-omb, Pauline, among others.

Also add more other nintendo characters like star fox and kirby.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Get rid of the fringe Mario characters and bring in a bunch of other Nintendo character alongside the ones that were added to MK8. It's the only way.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I would swap my main from Donkey Kong to Chargin' Chuck in a heartbeat. Chuck (or, as I used to call him, "that football guy") is so rad.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
For whatever reason, the normal enemies as racers in Mario Kart just never clicked for me. Not enough personality, I guess. Unlike Chain Chop in the latest Mario Tennis, Goomba in Mario Party and Piranha Plant in Smash. They have personality and tap into a charming absurdism that vanilla-ass Koopa Troopa never captured.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Needs to just go full Nintendo cart. I get that MK8 had non Mario DLC but it needs to do that standard.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only limitation should be Nintendo's creativity/imagination. The fact that Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach were separate characters packaged in with DLC instead of making unique characters or just making them costumes was beyond lazy.

I want R.O.B. to return the most, by the way.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason, the normal enemies as racers in Mario Kart just never clicked for me. Not enough personality, I guess. Unlike Chain Chop in the latest Mario Tennis, Goomba in Mario Party and Piranha Plant in Smash. They have personality and tap into a charming absurdism that vanilla-ass Koopa Troopa never captured.
I see where you're coming from. The enemies you mentioned are unconventional in the roles they play in those games. Chain Chomp has no limbs, so he's hopping around with a racket in his mouth. Goomba has no arms, so how in the world does he play the minigames? Piranha Plant is the last character you would expect to be a fighter in Smash Bros.

OP
OP
Benzychenz

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The roster is chosen by stats and balance, not by who makes sense or not.

We have babies because there's not many characters who could fit a "lightweight" archetype.

"Smash Kart" wouldn't really fix any of that.
This is nonsense. There's so many characters for all weight classes. I kept adding characters to this list keeping all categories seperate and without the excess babies and reskins.

Small

Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Toad
Toadette
Bowser Jr
Koopa Troopa
Dry Bones
Shy Guy
Lakitu
Lemmy
Larry
*Nabbit
*Luma
*Cappy
*Fuzzy
*Polterpup

Medium

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Rosalina
Yoshi
Iggy
Wendy
Ludwig
*Diddy Kong
*Birdo
*Spike
*Kamek
*Dixie Kong
*Cranky Kong
*E Gadd

Large

Wario
Waluigi
Donkey Kong
Metal Mario
Bowser
Dry Bowser
King Boo
Roy
Morton
*Wiggler
*Petey Piranha
*King Bob-Omb
*Gooper Blooper
*Chargin' Chuck
*Funky Kong
*King K Rool

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The roster is chosen by stats and balance, not by who makes sense or not.

We have babies because there's not many characters who could fit a "lightweight" archetype.

"Smash Kart" wouldn't really fix any of that.
Uh, you do realize Smash has a bunch of lightweight characters, right?