• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination

I personally dropped off the game a week or so after launch; could not handle the controls and felt constrained by the screen, so this change along with other QoL updates/character additions I've noticed in previous months may help to bring me back - anyone else interested with this change?

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
How would you even control it though? I will say that MKT, the controls aren't terrible in portrait mode.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked playing it in portrait mode, but it's cool that there's finally the option.

The main issue I had was with needing to play constantly in order to get enough gems to (randomly) unlock good characters/karts/gliders so you could get high enough scores on the tracks to get more gems to unlock more characters/karts/gliders so you could... on and on and on.

The grind and the feeling of FOMO was way too much. Could have been an absolutely fantastic game if they'd dialed that stuff back even just a little.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
I actually liked playing it in portrait mode, but it's cool that there's finally the option.

The main issue I had was with needing to play constantly in order to get enough gems to (randomly) unlock good characters/karts/gliders so you could get high enough scores on the tracks to get more gems to unlock more characters/karts/gliders so you could... on and on and on.

The grind and the feeling of FOMO was way too much. Could have been an absolutely fantastic game if they'd dialed that stuff back even just a little.
That kind of grindy stuff is why I essentially fell off the face of the track. It's way too much, and for a gacha... Nty. It's a fun racer when it isn't infuriating due to the gacha system.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
That kind of grindy stuff is why I essentially fell off the face of the track. It's way too much, and for a gacha... Nty. It's a fun racer when it isn't infuriating due to the gacha system.
There's a lot good there, it's just the need to have a 3 star character on every track in order to get a good score just sucked. Not even having the option to get 3 items or Frenzy with a 1 or 2 star character is the big flaw IMO.

If they just made it so you're more likely to get 3 items or something, then maybe it could have worked, but as it was when I stopped playing around Christmas last year, it's just too restrictive.

I'd have even been fine with paying for the monthly gold pass, but it just wasn't worth it. You didn't get enough good stuff or even just gems to at least get the CHANCE at getting good stuff. You got more, for sure, but not enough to justify a monthly fee.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Playing some of it this morning, it feels super patched in at the last second. Even if you set Mario Kart Tour to use "Landscape Only" all the menus and everything will stay in portrait mode until the race starts, and it'll go back in to portrait mode basically the instant a race ends.

That being said, peripheral vision makes this game feel really different in a good way. It's still Mario Kart Tour, with weird invisible walls, clumsy steering, and some of the most aggressive gacha mechanics I can think of in recent memory, but at least it feels more natural now.