• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Terrifying vision of the future, as subscription services fragment into whatever makes the most money. Mark my words, all-encompassing services like Uplay+ will one day be broken down to "Ghost Recon+" and "Rainbow 6+" and each one will have ridiculous "premium" subscriptions that offer extra desktop wallpapers or something.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it with Nintendo and mobile. All they have to do is make great mobile versions of their IP, charge maybe $5 a pop plus some MTX and they would be topping the paid charts with Minecraft and making bank.

It really feels like they are trying to sink their mobile pillar with these subpar games and laughably overpriced MTX.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
While it's common to have a sub in gacha game (and for regular spenders can be a 'good' deal), the problem here is that there is an entire mode and exclusive badges that are locked behind this that can't otherwise be accessed.

I enjoyed the beta, I like gacha games, but the way this sub is handled is very offputting. Combined with Pokemon Masters, I'm pretty disappointed with this recent crop of Nintendo mobile games. Dragalia is dope though.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it with Nintendo and mobile. All they have to do is make great mobile versions of their IP, charge maybe $5 a pop plus some MTX and they would be topping the paid charts with Minecraft and making bank.

It really feels like they are trying to sink their mobile pillar with these subpar games and laughably overpriced MTX.
They want the full fledged version of their games to be exclusive of Switch

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

Looking at their past success and disappointments in the mobile sphere this is exactly were they need to be headed as a company.

Miitomo didn't pay the bills
Mario Run didn't find the success that the IP is known for
Fire Emblem Heroes made/makes fucking bank
Animal Crossing didn't find the success that the IP is known for

This game has a competitive PVP ranking system with a couple routes of AIP that has a chance to boost that rank, it should perform closer to FEH than the rest.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of subscriptions, Apple Arcade has lowered my tolerance for this mobile bullshit to zero.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019

They did that with Mario Run but everyone complained about the price.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually pretty immune to mobile nonsense, playing all kinds of dumb MTX-filled games on my phone, but this.... this takes the cake as the worst thing I've ever seen. Especially considering how miserable this game is to play on the phone.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They did that with Mario Run but everyone complained about the price.

Mario Run is currently #2 on the top free games in the US app store. People are clearly interested in it but Nintendo botched it by making it free then hitting people with a hard $10. That doesn't mean they should have just thrown all of that out the window... they could have lowered the price. They could have just released a $5 version on the paid apps section. They didn't have to say "oh well that didn't work time to go full gacha with generic versions of our games."

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Mario Run is currently #2 on the top free games in the US app store. People are clearly interested in it but Nintendo botched it by making it free then hitting people with a hard $10. That doesn't mean they should have just thrown all of that out the window... they could have lowered the price. They could have just released a $5 version on the paid apps section. They didn't have to say "oh well that didn't work time to go full gacha with generic versions of our games."

A $5 version would have had the same impact.

The issue is that it wasn't free. $10 was not insane.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A $5 version would have had the same impact.

The issue is that it wasn't free. $10 was not insane.

Not true. Lots of mobile users don't like hard paid walls on free games. Had they released and advertise SMR as a $5 paid app they would have had less people downloading but potentially far more money. Minecraft, GTA, Plague Inc, FNAF, Dead Cells, Pocket Build, etc all sell on the App Store with little issues. Another way they could have done it is kept the game free and had you pay for skins and other perks for Mario.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good look releasing this model right after Apple Arcade. It's not unusual in the mobile space, it just looks especially worse now.

Also locking 200cc behind among other stuff it is pretty fucked up. They probably would have been tolerated better if they went with the standard gacha practice of charging you a sub fee, and you just get more gacha currency for it, instead of locking all of this stuff out.

Or they could have just made it like a 3$ sub or something. With something with as mass appeal as MK with that price, it could have definitely worked and made up with it being cheaper just through the amount of subs, and not seemed as bad.

They went about this pretty poorly. It's like they weighed all their options and went with one of the worst ones at the worst timing.

Last edited:

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I played through all the content they allow you too. I really don't see why anyone would pay anything for this. Even using the worst characters for a level they are pretty easy to 5 star.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
With all the profits Nintendo is raking from their mobile games, I hope they can improve their online services

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played through all the content they allow you too. I really don't see why anyone would pay anything for this. Even using the worst characters for a level they are pretty easy to 5 star.

It gets a lot more difficult after more levels unlock, I had a hell of a time with the later cups in the beta.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If the $5 a month gave you the means to avoid the gatcha system I'd be interested. With both in place...... No. Just no.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to be fair, Nintendo tried to do things "right" when they entered into the phone game market. However, at the end of the day, the consumers responded emphatically that they aren't interested in that type of (more honest/fair) monetization. This is the phone game market. This is what it looks like.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got pauline on my first ten pull, game is enjoyable enough for a mobile game, it's as predatory as other mobile games but not as bad as many. I think it's fine, it scratches the itch to play mario kart on my phone, I would never pay but i would also never play too much of this game. I like it for what it is.

Oct 30, 2017
A shame Mario Run didn't meet Nintendo expectations. I'd certainly pay $10 upfront for Zelda if it has a similar amount of content to Mario Run post-update... alas, that will not happen.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I got pauline on my first ten pull, game is enjoyable enough for a mobile game, it's as predatory as other mobile games but not as bad as many. I think it's fine, it scratches the itch to play mario kart on my phone, I would never pay but i would also never play too much of this game. I like it for what it is.
That's because you got Pauline. I played long enough for a 10 pull and got absolute garbage. My highest rarity on that 10 pull was a 2nd toadette which the game gives you regardless. This is just as predatory and as bad as everything else. It'll make people roll the slot machine to try and get characters all the same as the others.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
It's a good thing I like Mario Kart so much otherwise I would have trashed the game like Pokémon Masters. Nintendo's mobile offerings are gross filth and all they do is make me wish I could play Mario Kart 9 and Animal Crossing New Horizons right now.

Fuck, that's exactly what they want me to think, isn't it?

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
It's a good thing I like Mario Kart so much otherwise I would have trashed the game like Pokémon Masters. Nintendo's mobile offerings are gross filth and all they do is make me wish I could play Mario Kart 9 and Animal Crossing New Horizons right now.

Fuck, that's exactly what they want me to think, isn't it?
If that's the strategy they're aiming for, maybe they can make a mobile F-Zero.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
That's because you got Pauline. I played long enough for a 10 pull and got absolute garbage. My highest rarity on that 10 pull was a 2nd toadette which the game gives you regardless. This is just as predatory and as bad as everything else. It'll make people roll the slot machine to try and get characters all the same as the others.

Typical gacha crap. Predatory and designed to prey on the weak.
At least gameplay can be fun, but it probably won't stay for long on my phone.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
With all the profits Nintendo is raking from their mobile games, I hope they can improve their online services
The Wii was one of their best sellers in company history yet 2 consoles later, their online is barely up to snuff with contemporaries so I wouldn't count anything changing if they break bank on mobile. The problem has never been money but rather fundamental issues internally in regards to modern online standards of play and infrastructure.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
remember when Nintendo took a stand against subscriptions and micro-transactions by selling Super Mario Run for $9.99? 2 years was a long time ago

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game require an always-on data connection to play like Mario Run? If so, Nintendo can shove this sub up its arse.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
remember when Nintendo took a stand against subscriptions and micro-transactions by selling Super Mario Run for $9.99? 2 years was a long time ago
Remember when that sold very subpar and investors weren't happy with the results? Remember when Fire Emblem Heroes stomped all over Mario Run's revenue? 2 years really was a long time ago.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Remember when that sold very subpar and investors weren't happy with the results? Remember when Fire Emblem Heroes stomped all over Mario Run's revenue? 2 years really was a long time ago.

2 years ago Nitendo's main goal of their mobile games were to lead the gamers from the mobile games to their console games. So with Mario Run, Nintendo was hoping that game would lead players to their consoles while making a little money with the mobile game in the process. Now Nintendo's mobile philosophy has changed, and they want those games to maximize profits as much as possible. Switch and software are selling just fine so the goals with their mobile gaming have shifted

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Guess Nintendo had to do something to please investors. This doesn't strike me as Something Nintendo would do on a whim.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As with every other Nintendo mobile game, I won't play it but I'll hope it takes off and makes them all the money. Get those whales on board. I wanna see my investment climb to heaven.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only played about ~2hrs by now without spending a dime. Have my fair share of fun, but yet I still don't understand what Nintendo is trying here. In my opinion they cannibalize their own core value of making everyone smile with polished and easy to use games. This thing is a MTX abomination like no other. I wonder how many kids will ruin their parents paycheck with unwanted subs and MTX.

Nintendo in mobile seems like a evil and greedy bastard, but not the lovely lighthearted and funny company all of us grewn up too (and which they still are with Switch... mostly :P).

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Only played about ~2hrs by now without spending a dime. Have my fair share of fun, but yet I still don't understand what Nintendo is trying here. In my opinion they cannibalize their own core value of making everyone smile with polished and easy to use games. This thing is a MTX abomination like no other. I wonder how many kids will ruin their parents paycheck with unwanted subs and MTX.

Nintendo in mobile seems like a evil and greedy bastard, but not the lovely lighthearted and funny company all of us grewn up too (and which they still are with Switch... mostly :P).
It's not just Nintendo. Have you played a Supercell game? The MTX in Mario Kart Tour is on par with plenty of other free to play mobile games, in fact, it's the norm.