• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I am sure the game is not that bad, but it makes me sad so many people are getting tricked and thinking the game has multiplayer with random people. I overheard a couple of classmates this morning talking about how the game totally has that feature. I doubt they are the only ones.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've played more of this than MK8D, even while at home. My phone's more accessible (always on my person or desk/nightstand, one handed play) than my Switch (a few feet away, and with load times).

People like progression and unlocks as well.

(And real multiplayer is coming, as the in-game menu indicates.)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure the game is not that bad, but it makes me sad so many people are getting tricked and thinking the game has multiplayer with random people. I overheard a couple of classmates this morning talking about how the game totally has that feature. I doubt they are the only ones.
Yeah. It's pretty scummy the way they're trying to trick people.

It's fun, but there's so much shit (That, the overly stingy gacha, a monthly subscription on top of said gacha) surrounding the game.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it and already deleted it after seeing the predatory micro transactions. 69$ Diamond packs, an absurd monthly paid system 7$ here in Canada haha hell no and some other 27$ purchasable thing for 1 character. Good luck to them.
Welcome to mobile gaming. Nintendo tried using a traditional monetization system in the mobile space with Mario Run, but it didn't just fail financially but people also complained in droves about Nintendo's perceived arrogance of trying to charge $10 for a mobile game. The mobile market is completely fucked and to a very considerable degree that's also the fault of the people playing mobile games who are unwilling to spend more than "free".

That said, I don't actually think Mario Kart has a particularly outrageous monetization scheme. From the little I've played, the gacha seems to be pretty limited and not vital for progressing in the game. The subscription is a weird choice, but also not particularly attractive. I actually think this will be another Nintendo title that will make a modest amount of money compared to its player base, because there's just not all that much interesting to spend it on.

Jan 2, 2018
Here's a chart of first month downloads and revenues ZhugEX posted with Doctor Mario World.

The game had a good number of downloads, but failed to convert into paying customers. Animal Crossing had a similar issue as well.

See also Dragalia Lost with it's lower number of downloads, but significantly higher revenue from paying customers.

Man, Dragalia Lost is crazy! I really hope we'll get a console game one day.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the game requires a Nintendo Login. Probably 10-20% of the people who download the game probably just said "Fuck off" when it immediately demands you sign up for something. I almost did.
Are there gacha games that don't require the use of an account?

sheepysheep

Nov 19, 2018
I'm probably done with MKT now that I've realized it is impossible to play the game in landscape orientation. Nintendo still has a lot to learn about the largely fickle and capricious mobile world.

Japanese audiences tend to prefer portrait mode because it's easier to play with one hand, as a lot of mobile gaming in japan is done on subways/etc. while the other hand is needed to hold a bar or something. You'll see most Japanese developed mobile game are portrait-only or designed with portrait as the primary focus.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there gacha games that don't require the use of an account?
They don't have to give up on the account system, but demanding a login immediately right off the bat is just a terrible idea. People want to get in the game and start playing, not get caught up in the tedious and frustrating password recovery process. Part of the problem with Nintendo ID is that most of their consoles automatically log you in, so some signficant number of people won't remember their password.......so now instead of playing your game they are sifting through emails looking for a recovery link. If I hadn't remembered my Nintendo password I probably would have just deleted MK Tour and called it a day.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I always made the argument that Mario Kart is Nintendo's biggest IP (even Moreso then Pokémon).

This is a favor in my argument lol. Anyways, yeah get that multiplayer ASAP
Not when it will never touch Pokémon Go as a whole, that game exploded in a way that we will probably never see again in our lifetimes

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart was always going to be successful on mobile, despite what so many people here think about it.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
My co-worker has been playing this all day.

Lazy bastard.

*continues browsing ERA on company dime*

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Japanese audiences tend to prefer portrait mode because it's easier to play with one hand, as a lot of mobile gaming in japan is done on subways/etc. while the other hand is needed to hold a bar or something. You'll see most Japanese developed mobile game are portrait-only or designed with portrait as the primary focus.
Not everything needs a landscape mode, but to not provide one for a racing game seems pretty crazy. Not only is the wider field of view important for gameplay, but it allows for the gyro controls to be more nuanced and natural-feeling. Do even Japanese racing titles lock you into portrait?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty impressive start, but I expect a pretty large dropoff too once people get bored with the grind or use up their trial gold pass thing.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It'll be Top 50 within 2 weeks, Top 100 within a month, and out of the top charts within 2 months.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
I can see kids playing this without moaning about gatcha elements and "terrible controls". This is the perfect introduction to the mario kart world to new audiences that in Christmas might convert into a switch with MK8D.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Mario Kart Tour is Nintendo's third best mobile launch in terms of day one player spending, having grossed approximately $1 million in its first 24 hours. This is about 25 percent of the publisher's best performing title on mobile during its launch day, Fire Emblem Heroes, which grossed an estimated $4.3 million across both stores worldwide. Super Mario Run posted the second best launch day for in-app spending among Nintendo's mobile titles, or about four times more than Mario Kart Tour.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Curious to find out if it also broke records for most uninstalls day 1 after people realized what it was, whether it be the terrible controls, payment model, or lack of essential Mario Kart features like multiplayer.
Was gonna say the same thing. It's amazing how trash this game is in just about every aspect. Wouldn't be surprised if people get tricked into thinking they're playing against other people though.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a lot of downloads.

Might try it myself. But I'm not big on either MK or mobile games. Hmm.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely Nintendo's greatest shot at a day one success story but without PvP on launch and the scummy pricing model I legit fear they're not gonna have the retention fast enough to sustain it.

Still, it's damn impressive.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels kind of telling that despite 10 times the downloads it's made only a quarter of what FEH did in the same period

Not really, because as said in the article.
It's possible that Mario Kart Tour will have a slower start in terms of spending than Nintendo's other mobile titles as the publisher and co-developer DeNA are experimenting with season pass monetization which includes a free two-week trial period before subscribers are actually charged. The $4.99 per month Gold Pass is current the game's most popular in-app purchase, but none of the users who have purchased it will be charged for another 13 days; Some of those will likely cancel before that point.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It feels kind of telling that despite 10 times the downloads it's made only a quarter of what FEH did in the same period
Having played both and after spending hundreds of dollars in feh, what it tells me is how much of a rip off feh is and how it manipulates myself and others to splurge on it. Mario kart already feels pay to win to me but it dumping money into it isn't as compelling..... Yet.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Game looks pretty bad, but holy shit is Mario Kart a complete juggernaut.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Game looks amazing, controls great (once you "get it" after 2-3 minutes) and its just fun. I played hours yesterday without having to pay anything.

Lots of people saying "how many uninstalls though"...that doesn't matter. This is not MK8 competition. This is MK, on your phone! And its a very polished product at that.

MP will just keep boosting usage once its updated.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Didn't like the control but after playing a few rounds I think this is one of the best games I've played on my phone.. I'm even considering paying for the gold pass... I'm mad..

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
This game completely shocked me. After reading so much slander on era I thought it must be awful, but it's a really polished and fun game, and the monetisation isn't that bad considering how much you can do for free.

One thing though is that genuinely every single person I know who's playing it (which is like, a lot) thinks they're versing others online. I fear there will be some kinda breakout news article about how that's not true, and a lot of people will be put off once they find that out. Ultimately tho this looks like a big success

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It'll be Top 50 within 2 weeks, Top 100 within a month, and out of the top charts within 2 months.
Mario Kart has always been the evergreen king of legs on console. I can't think of any other game aside from GTA and Minecraft that has managed what MK always does in that regard.

I think if any Nintendo game could keep legs in the download charts it'll be this one. But sure that doesn't necessarily translate to conversion, and it'll be interesting to see how it fares in the top grossing.