• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd post this at the top of a new page.

Nintendo's mission for mobile games has been publicly stated from the beginning to draw more people into their IP and hopefully their dedicated platform ecosystem.

This is an enthusiast gaming forum. None of their mobile games were ever going to be poplar here; not because mobile games can't be good, but because Nintendo isn't trying to reach you. Can't see why you'd play this over MK8D? Nintendo doesn't care, you already have MK8D.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Nintendo's "free to start" is what they call "free to play"
Well, that's not confusing at all...
Thanks for clarifying!

Where's the survey? I'd download MKT if it were $15 with no gatcha, no wait timers and online multiplayer. Also restore manual steering because the game has almost zero challenge with it on
If you go to the notifications under Menu, the survey is all the way at the bottom. Might also be called "Info." It's the one next to Ranking. You can pretty much tell them exactly what you want. It's a pretty long survey though. Like 30 pages.

Edit: It's called "News."

Last edited:

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Finally found some time to check out this beta. Unfortunately, this is easily the most boring Mario Kart game I've ever played. If this is what racing games on mobile are like, then whatever, but as someone with Mario Kart 8D on Switch, there is no incentive for me to play this game. It isn't even remotely fun.
It's really only partially a racing game. There's something oddly compelling about many of its systems. Still trying to see which control scheme feels best for me

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Literally one star away from the final cup
b21.png

But I need to sleep. Unfortunate that it'll go on a 6(?) hour timer after I get the star tomorrow.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So, on the whole, are people enjoying this?

The gameplay is pretty good, a mix of traditional Mario Kart with a high score focus to make up for the lack of multiplayer. Unfortunately it's dragged down by obnoxious time gating and scoring requirements in later cups that are pretty much impossible to overcome without having the right gear. If they tone down the overly aggressive F2P mechanics I can see this being pretty popular even with gamers that typically scoff at Nintendo's mobile offerings.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised Nintendo found a way to make a worse mobile experience than the Animal Crossing game. This game plays fine but the package it's wrapped in is one of the worst I've ever seen. The systems here are literally satirical, like if the Onion opened a game studio

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I played for about 2 days before deciding...

The time gates are way too annoying.
The courses are fucking repetitive.

So I can't dig it anymore.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, on the whole, are people enjoying this?
There's potential for a good game but it's so overloaded with aggressive monetization tactics that it's hard for me to get much enjoyment out of it. On the survey I put very/somewhat dissatisfied for almost everything

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I played for about 2 days before deciding...

The time gates are way too annoying.
The courses are fucking repetitive.

So I can't dig it anymore.

I expect the course selection will be a lot bigger in the final game. It seems like the beta test is limited to retro courses only, so there will likely be plenty of new ones made for this game that will keep the selection from feeling so repetitive.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
You don't know fear until you've faced a giant-shell frenzy-mode Bowser.

The gameplay is pretty good, a mix of traditional Mario Kart with a high score focus to make up for the lack of multiplayer. Unfortunately it's dragged down by obnoxious time gating and scoring requirements in later cups that are pretty much impossible to overcome without having the right gear. If they tone down the overly aggressive F2P mechanics I can see this being pretty popular even with gamers that typically scoff at Nintendo's mobile offerings.
Pretty much agree with this. I'm enjoying it a lot. But I also now have to wait 5 hours until the next cup opens... For now, I can focus on trying to get 5 stars on courses where I have almost no chance in doing so since I don't have the right characters.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How in the world do you get 25 points in the rocket start challenge?

Also, Hearts can fuck off. I'm tired of this Stamina shit.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
One star away from the final cup. Some courses just can't all five stars because of my roster. Any tips on the 8000 with a mustache challenge?

Mar 29, 2018

Nintendo's mission for mobile games has been publicly stated from the beginning to draw more people into their IP and hopefully their dedicated platform ecosystem.

This is an enthusiast gaming forum. None of their mobile games were ever going to be poplar here; not because mobile games can't be good, but because Nintendo isn't trying to reach you. Can't see why you'd play this over MK8D? Nintendo doesn't care, you already have MK8D.
Likewise, unfortunately, no-one will care about your incredibly accurate post.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Finally found some time to check out this beta. Unfortunately, this is easily the most boring Mario Kart game I've ever played. If this is what racing games on mobile are like, then whatever, but as someone with Mario Kart 8D on Switch, there is no incentive for me to play this game. It isn't even remotely fun.
How far did you get? The first few cups are super easy and 50cc until you unlock higher cc difficulty. It gets a lot more interesting when you have to rack up really high scores

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
One star away from the final cup. Some courses just can't all five stars because of my roster. Any tips on the 8000 with a mustache challenge?
I have gotten very close a few tunes with Luigi and the vacuum car on Luigi's mansion. Of course maybe you don't have those, I think I bought the vacuum car with coins and I think the game gave me Luigi but I don't remember.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How far did you get? The first few cups are super easy and 50cc until you unlock higher cc difficulty. It gets a lot more interesting when you have to rack up really high scores
That's actually when the wheels fell completely off for me. Your score is determined almost entirely by your gacha collection and nothing else, especially in higher cc when your kart is slower and gets less and worse items.

The systems here weren't designed around "what will make this as fun as possible" but designed around "we monetized with gacha so now we need bars to level and timers."

This whole thing is a travesty.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I agree with everything you've said, but I think we can look at MK:WT in the realms of other f2p nintendo gatcha/mobile games, other f2p racing games with gatcha elements, and of course other f2p gatcha/mobile games as a whole. WT from the impressions and comments here seems like it strikes out. It'll likely be successful enough, heck animal crossing pocket camp has been successful, but I think it's fair that people wished a f2p mario kart game with gatcha mechanics was more fun to play.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Likewise, unfortunately, no-one will care about your incredibly accurate post.
Edit: misread
I agree with everything you've said, but I think we can look at MK:WT in the realms of other f2p nintendo gatcha/mobile games, other f2p racing games with gatcha elements, and of course other f2p gatcha/mobile games as a whole. WT from the impressions and comments here seems like it strikes out. It'll likely be successful enough, heck animal crossing pocket camp has been successful, but I think it's fair that people wished a f2p mario kart game with gatcha mechanics was more fun to play.
I dunno, there's lots of 'judging by the impressions, this is terrible' posts from people who haven't played the game that's adding to the perceived negativity. There's also a fair amount of people saying it's more fun to play than it looks, but they all seem to get ignored. But yes, there's also people saying they've played it and it's a waste of their time.

Anecdotally, this is their first mobile game that's actually held my attention. It's easily my favorite so far. Contrary to some impressions, I'm finding the core gameplay is still very much Mario Kart.

Last edited:

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, the mobile game experience is usually not very interesting in my opinion, but I think this game is actually fun. There's something to be interested in besides collecting things or whatever it is people usually play mobile games to do.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Well, on one hand, I've gotten enough grand stars for the Dry Bowser Cup.

On the other, the wait for it is 12 hours.

I don't understand the purpose of this. You can't even speed this timer up with money, unlike the stamina hearts. What are they trying to accomplish?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm a little bummed that in the survey Mario Kart Arcade GP was listed as a game you may have played in the past but not Mario Kart VR

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
You're projecting. I never said you were defending anything. I said it's "unfortunate' no one will care about your post. That's because I agree with you and wish people would take notice of these facts.
Shit man, my eyes glossed over the word 'unfortunately' and it completely changed the tone of your post. I'm sorry.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man, I tried Super Mario Run, I tried AC Pocket Camp, I tried Fire Emblem Heroes.

All from series I adore, and they all felt like dead shells of the games I love. This seems to be more of that.

I want Nintendo to do something different. A proper game designed around modern smartphones, that isn't based on god-forsaken gatcha and mtx.

I want a return of N-Gage 2.0 (the service, not the device). There were actual good games at a reasonable, single-purchase price; Crash Racing, Metal Gear Solid, Reset Generation... That was the golden age of mobile gaming IMO.

The thing is that Nintendo's mobile games aren't made to be good games, they exist mainly to get people interested in Nintendo games in the hopes that they'll buy a Switch.

At least that used to be the case, although with all the F2P crap in this one maybe that's not true anymore.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Furukawa said that mobile will become a new pillar for Nintendo, they want them to make as much money as possible. They're not really advertisement anymore.

Yka

Nov 1, 2017
I expect the course selection will be a lot bigger in the final game. It seems like the beta test is limited to retro courses only, so there will likely be plenty of new ones made for this game that will keep the selection from feeling so repetitive.
I haven't played Mario Kart Tour beta but I have watched gameplay videos and the 8 tracks I have seen are directly from Mario Kart 7. The final game will probably include all 32 tracks from Mario Kart 7. I kinda doubt that we will see new tracks in this game.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
did anyone else not get their log in bonus today? My game crashed earlier and when I tried again I didn't get anything.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Mario Kart Tour beta but I have watched gameplay videos and the 8 tracks I have seen are directly from Mario Kart 7. The final game will probably include all 32 tracks from Mario Kart 7. I kinda doubt that we will see new tracks in this game.

Mario Kart Tour has SNES Choco Island 2 and SNES Mario Circuit 1 which weren't in Mario Kart 7, so they've already deviated from the MK7 track list. It's possible that there won't be any new courses, but I'd be surprised.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Where is Dragalia Lost Switch then?!

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a weird case. Is that new IP or just a series I've never heard of? Regardless, it's very clearly at odds with Nintendo's normal stuff.

What do people think of that game? I haven't payed any attention to it.

It's a collaborative game with CyGames so it has no equivalent on Switch. The OT here is moderately active.

I think you're very right about what their mobile strategy has been so far. However, it's more difficult to predict where it will go under Furukawa. Dragalia Lost (made under Kimishima afaik) and Dr. Mario World Cure already deviate from what they've been doing before and we obviously have no idea what the next game is gonna be.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It's a collaborative game with CyGames so it has no equivalent on Switch. The OT here is moderately active.

I think you're very right about what their mobile strategy has been so far. However, it's more difficult to predict where it will go under Furukawa. Dragalia Lost (made under Kimishima afaik) and Dr. Mario World Cure already deviate from what they've been doing before and we obviously have no idea what the next game is gonna be.
I do wonder if the amount of money FE:H has made has changed their views on that mobile can do for them. I have a feeling they might just make sure their games don't undermine the Switch and be content with that. So we still won't see anything like the practically full-featured games some people want, but might see engaging and genuinely good mobile games so long as the experience doesn't translate to the Switch.

Basically - why try so hard to convert a fairly different market when you can just tap into it directly? As long as they don't unintentionally cause Switch gamers to stick with mobile, they might be better off that way.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I'm at that point where I'm attempting stages to get that 1 extra star because those specific runs are only 3 points away from completion and I really can't ignore it if I'm that close! It's even more frustrating when I reach the bottom half and lose points earned from getting 1st place in 150 cc

• 1st = +8 points
  • 2nd = +1 point
  • 3rd = 0/-1 point(I have had times where the points didn't change, it was weird)
  • 4th = -5 points
  • 5th = -10 points
  • 6th = -15 points
I don't know the last 2, but it's annoying that 1 bad run could mess you up.

Again, I'm having fun despite this because I love grinding. On top of that you can "cheese" it by getting first in races you have an advantage in and know what to do. Very close to 2900 points.

RNGesus continues to forsake me. Latest 10 pull (I've done 3) gave me dupes and nothing I needed to help me 5 star the courses I'm missing. Orz

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
No worries! I think they did it to be more transparent, to make it clear it may not always be free. But yeah, it is confusing since they're the only company doing it haha.
Hey Andre do you have 10,494 in the group cup? If that's you I'm in the same group.

Also as much as I complain about not having the right drivers and the gacha, its day 4 and I have 15/30. When the tour resets it will become that much easier to unlock more.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Andre do you have 10,494 in the group cup? If that's you I'm in the same group.

Also as much as I complain about not having the right drivers and the gacha, its day 4 and I have 15/30. When the tour resets it will become that much easier to unlock more.
Just keep in mind the public release will reset everyone's progress, presumably to put everyone on even footing and give them room to rebalance currency values if desired.

The second public tour should be where things pick up.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Is it confirmed or at least expected that this game will actually launch with no multiplayer feature? If so, that blows my mind, because they could get entire families playing this game. I guess maybe they figure the license alone will make them as much money with little effort as it would with maximum effort.