• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jagsrock

Oct 25, 2017
My impressions so far is that it's a competent mobile racer, that's not overly complicated and manages to still retain the overall feel of Mario kart. The courses look nice and I like the quick pacing of it. 2 laps and it's over and the rewards and energy refills seem pretty generous. Don't know why people were expecting something comparable to mk8 lol. It's just a fun mobile game to kill time. It's accessible, gives players a pretty instant sense of accomplishment and rewards players pretty much after every race. I see this doing pretty well.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So zero multiplayer in a game filled to the brim with microtransactions and loot boxes.

Fucking awful.

I somehow suspect if this game had multiplayer you'd be making the exact same comment.

Honestly the fact that this is single-player makes the monetization a lot more palatable. If they add a multiplayer mode they need to completely even the playing field and not have any of the P2W buffs apply so it plays like normal Mario Kart.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3. As for the actual premium currency, I'm only lvl 8 but it seems...sparse? Like it seems that you won't be getting emeralds from completing a cup and only from the stars you earn(counting from the gift page, you would get 170 total once you reach 340 stars or almost 4 10 pulls) or the challenges(if you complete the whole card)
The tours swap out every couple of weeks, which also changes out the tour gifts and the challenges.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Just catching up - this looks pretty cool.

I hope some of these updated retro courses come to 8 (I know they won't).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I tried Manual Drifting for a race but did way worse than with auto drifting. I'm sure I just had to get a feel for it, but I actually like how chill the game is on Automatic.

Overall I'm a few cups in, unlocked 100cc mode, and I'm really liking it. At 50cc I never lost a race, but 100cc it immediately started feeling more challenging.
The two lap change works well on mobile too.

I wish the turning was a little tighter and snappier, but that's about my only complaint.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...crotransactions-land-like-a-nasty-blue-shell/

MKT has timers. Your ability to play the game is gated behind a "hearts" currency. Every start of a race costs one heart, and your default meter maxes out at five hearts. It takes roughly 12 minutes for a single heart to refill, while the game's opening portion constantly refills hearts as part of the early leveling-up process. It's unclear at what point this ample heart supply runs out and players are stuck either waiting on timers or spending an "emerald" currency for more hearts, which can either be earned in-game or (eventually) paid for with real-world money.

Additionally, the game's progression system to access new racetracks, through a single-player campaign, is hard-gated by its own set of timers. As I type this, I'm waiting a full hour before I can unlock the game's "Toadette Cup" of three racecourses, even though I've otherwise met its requirement of other progress. There's no way to pay in-game currency or real-world money to speed that unlock up.

MKT also has loot boxes. The game's aforementioned emeralds are required to access the game's loot. Spend five emeralds (no idea how much that will cost in real-world money) to get a single, random unlock of a mascot character, a go-kart model, or a "glider" accessory. Unlike past games, differing characters and karts don't appear to come with standard control trade-offs like strength, acceleration, top speed, and so on.

Instead, each of these pickups vary in "rarity"... and that rarity indicates how much they affect major racing factors, including: top speed, coin-earning rates within a race, likelihood of picking up mid-race weapons and items, ability to hold multiple mid-race items at once, and multipliers for your "driver points" (DP) total at the end of a race.

Oof, this sound putrid.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The tournament cup seems... confusing. The first time I played through, it didn't count any of my scores and I was in 20th. Now I've replayed them, it counted 2 of them and I'm in 1st, but I didn't get a prize. Is it buggy or is there some logic about which scores count? And should I have gotten the prize now, or does that happen when it resets?

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic that online will be added when the game finally releases. This is a beta, after all, but we'll find out soon enough.

One thing they did include on the details page: "Please note that part of the game content included in the closed beta test differs from the content to be included in the official release."

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Going by what we've seen so far, yeah, there's no fucking way this is what Yabuki's team has been solely working on for the past two years following Arms, this is a side thing, at best. I imagine this isn't taking up many resources. What the question is now, is what in the world they're working on and if we'll see it in the next few weeks here.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
It baffles me that Nintendo would make something as trash as this in 2019 when they know how profitable the mobile market is. They really had the opportunity to make this a phenomenon. Instead they made a single player game filled with dumb micro-transactions that may have been okay a couple of years ago but that now people can see right through.

Why not make this as close to regular Mario Kart as possible (not in portrait mode obviously), multiplayer, tracks and characters all unlocked, worldwide online (people across continents like to bond via video games, who would've thought), with a modern monetizing scheme like a season pass (they have a huge catalog that they can pull from to sell people who want cosmetics that don't affect gameplay a season pass for $5 or $10 every 3 months like Fortnite does).

It was too easy. How did they fudge this up?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The app crashes out for me every time I try to attach my Nintendo ID. I wonder if it's an android 10 beta issue.
It is, they specifically say it's not compatible
It seems like the timers are mostly to keep you from blasting through all the cups immediately. Each tour lasts like a week at least before rotating out, makes sense that they want people to keep coming back instead of doing everything in a few hours and never touching the game again.
That's what the heart currency is for. This is timer on top of timer

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of a Mario Kart is playing with bots.

So why on earth do they fake other characters? Pokemon Duel does the same thing, but only if it fails to find players or if you lose consecutively.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
The tournament cup seems... confusing. The first time I played through, it didn't count any of my scores and I was in 20th. Now I've replayed them, it counted 2 of them and I'm in 1st, but I didn't get a prize. Is it buggy or is there some logic about which scores count? And should I have gotten the prize now, or does that happen when it resets?
I'm pretty sure the first time doesn't count because it hasn't introduced the ranking system yet.

The rewards are given out after the rankings reset every week. They'll be based on what rank you are when the reset happens.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the timers are mostly to keep you from blasting through all the cups immediately. Each tour lasts like a week at least before rotating out, makes sense that they want people to keep coming back instead of doing everything in a few hours and never touching the game again.
With how grindy and difficult the later levels get, I'm not sure how necessary that is.

I'm curious how much progress will carry over between tours, though. I figure they'd at least let you keep your characters/karts/gliders and just reset them back to Lv. 1, but it would make new tours a harder sell if they're not constantly putting out new content to earn.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy the fact it's single player. I hope it's insight to what they will do for Mario Kart 9 and give it a robust single player mode that teaches everything and gives some variation in types of races, just like Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed did. Of course that would have regular multi-player as well, not to say that should leave.

Not to say I wouldn't want online for this, but I wonder if it added it would even be actual races or the "ghosts" like Super Mario Run had.

Oh and I must say, playing with Manual Drift is much better than without.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It is, they specifically say it's not compatible

That's what the heart currency is for. This is timer on top of timer

The hearts are to stop you from endlessly grinding old cups for XP, the cup timer is to gate you from making too much progress in the tour too quickly.

With how grindy and difficult the later levels get, I'm not sure how necessary that is.

I'm curious how much progress will carry over between tours, though. I figure they'd at least let you keep your characters/karts/gliders and just reset them back to Lv. 1, but it would make new tours a harder sell if they're not constantly putting out new content to earn.

I expect the special banner characters/parts will be incentive to play each new tour. Be a whale and spend money on gacha rolls, or get enough stars to obtain it earning premium currency all the while.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm positively surprised. It playing so casually makes for a similar sort of chaotic fun as the arcade game, I love the rouletteesque triples boost and I appreciate that the item RNG isn't as harsh as in the console games (I'm not rolling 100% coins in first place, and I rolled a triple banana boost in 1st place).

That said, absolutely 0 chance I'm playing an online-only, stamina-based gachafest if there's no multiplayer component. If there's only AI there's no point.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
Wait a minute, those aren't actually other people I'm racing against? They just, like, populate names of users?

Dang, no wonder I thought the competition was kinda weak...

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Going by what we've seen so far, yeah, there's no fucking way this is what Yabuki's team has been solely working on for the past two years following Arms, this is a side thing, at best. I imagine this isn't taking up many resources. What the question is now, is what in the world they're working on and if we'll see it in the next few weeks here.
I think they are doing Mario Kart 9. But still Tour can't take too much resources and it's codeveloped with DeNa. Still shame that such talented people like Hideki Konno are now working only on mobile games :(

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure active connection to players will be a thing in the future, make sure you send feedback for that to let them know. Can be found in the settings and can write up what you like to see in the game

Can tell this game is very early stage, explains why they're not allowing any videos and screens being out publicly.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
from the impressions here, i no longer feel bad that i didn't get into the beta.
this doesn't look fun at all (i don't like any of these schemes from mobile games)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

That's my article, thanks for linking. I'm shocked that Nintendo isn't letting anyone post their own images or videos, because this game *looks* very good and polished. Take those images away, and instead you have aggravating lists of annoyances (like in my article) as the primary takeaway.

No online multiplayer for beta only, or no online at all for launch ?

Nintendo hasn't said either way, but this interface doesn't really have any obvious tabs or spaces where one might switch from single-player to online multiplayer. I think this is it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's ok. I doubt I'll play it after the beta, seems like zero point to play much if it's just against random bots for random gacha bs. Besides I got Metal Mario on my first pull so it's all downhill from there.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very funny that my only point in this thread was to ask businesses to stop being morally corrupt and to stop predatory practices and now I'm getting yelled at for not understanding what the deeply complex mobile business is as if the normalization of anti consumer practices was something acceptable as long as shareholders were richer-er-er and happy, unless that's the point you two are trying to make, if that's the case then yikes

Believe me, I understand that in order to be successful in the mobile business you gotta be scum in terms of monetizations, I'm deeply aware of it. But it's still such a weird spin on your part.

Whatever you gotta do to protect those share values intact, I guess.

Japan (and asia in general) don't have anything against those models. It's why those will keep coming and why they only will be released on the country or asia if the west ever reach at a point of a ban. And as the majority of the revenue of japanese, corean and chinese games come from there, they can do it easily.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm having fun with it. Handles pretty well for a mobile racer, the currencies haven't been too jarring, and I got enough of the premium currency to pull 10 packages at once. Seems fun, and I'll keep playin' it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my impressions may run counter to many, but this seems to be a fine and fun free take on Mario Kart. Curious to see how it develops.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
To be honest, I expected something a little crazier on mobile with all the secrecy surrounding this game. It seems to be gacha Mario Kart with heavy asset recycling from 7 and 8D, and simplified mechanics.

Not sure why people keep expecting anything different from Nintendo's established IPs mobile games, specially when they more or less said this was going to be the case when they started to get into mobile games, at best watered down versions of their real games.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people keep expecting anything different from Nintendo's established IPs mobile games, specially when they more or less said this was going to be the case when they started to get into mobile games, at best watered down versions of their real games.

Yeah, even FEH which is a good game is pretty much a game made with mobile in mind. None of those games could be on console and they aren't. If people expect handheld or console experiences on mobile, they'll be disappointed. Those experiences only will be on their own systems.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's my article, thanks for linking. I'm shocked that Nintendo isn't letting anyone post their own images or videos, because this game *looks* very good and polished. Take those images away, and instead you have aggravating lists of annoyances (like in my article) as the primary takeaway.
The textures look like they're ported straight from the 3DS when the battery saver mode is on, and the resolution goes sub-HD. I suppose they're worried that that will be someone's only exposure to the game.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't lost a match all day and I'm not even very good at Mario Kart. Makes sense now that you are playing bots.

Mario Kart without multiplayer, what's even the point? Modern Nintendo sucks; Iwata wouldn't have put this out. Can't wait for one-handed gacha Smash Bros with no multiplayer.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo hasn't said either way, but this interface doesn't really have any obvious tabs or spaces where one might switch from single-player to online multiplayer. I think this is it.
I'm surprised because the screenshots and videos would likely be the least damaging thing to this game if they were public.

It's everything else that's more damage, like what your article states. I got through a few of the cups, and after still acing the races on 100cc, and then finding out the next cup was "under construction" for the next few minutes, I was fucking done. I uninstalled it. They would have to completely revamp this to have multiplayer, and even then there's still other issues I have with it. Just play a real Mario Kart game instead. This is yet another "It's like the game you like, but it's definitely not." case.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I expected something like Super Mario Run or Animal Crossing Pocket Camp fwiw. From the beta this doesn't seem to be like either of those.

Those games had unique modes and mechanics that made them worth checking out even if you had already played their console games. So far this beta doesn't paint the same picture.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah lol. Why people keep acting like some mobile game takes some full team effort?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They are definitely on to something here. It's fun and the controls work well enough after you play for a bit.

But much like Pocket Camp, I want almost nothing from this to make it into the next console game.