• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
That actually sounds an awful lot like how mario kart Wii gave out rankings for each cup. The game had a (hidden) counter that determined your rank that increased with successful mini turbos, time in first, hitting people with items, and so on. I wonder how many people actually realised it was happening there though, given the hidden nature of the scoring there.
Dang, I didn't know that! Interesting.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That actually sounds an awful lot like how mario kart Wii gave out rankings for each cup. The game had a (hidden) counter that determined your rank that increased with successful mini turbos, time in first, hitting people with items, and so on. I wonder how many people actually realised it was happening there though, given the hidden nature of the scoring there.
When I was playing MKWii back when I was like 10 I knew there was something going on in the background to determine scoring as even if you came in first in all the races you might not get the 3 star. I eventually started making my own list of what I thought it was. In the end I'm pretty sure the three things I thought determined it was you had to do a lot of tricks, you had to be in first going into the third lap, and you couldn't bump any walls. Interesting to see that 10 year old me was at least partially correct lol.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
You're never getting that.

Besides making money, the main aim of these mobile games is to get people interested so they eventually go pick up the "real deal" version on console.
Oh, I know, Alyx. And it's depressing, thinking about what mobile gaming has become. I apologise for going off topic. Maybe I'm just another old man yelling at the clouds.

I do question if this is a good way to introduce people to Mario Kart and Nintendo though. For one, I don't think MK needs a gateway game like Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing could. This is just a product to appease share-holders and make money. All business, no love. And secondly, is it even good for brand-image? Just something I'm thinking about.

I won't derail the thread more. Just needed to vent.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like you can Frenzy with any item - I just five starred Kalimari Desert in Bowser Cup using triple Blue Shells, lol

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like you can Frenzy with any item - I just five starred Kalimari Desert in Bowser Cup using triple Blue Shells, lol
Yeah, I was on the receiving end of that in one of my recent matches... Counted 6 blue shells. I got triple lightning bolts, but it just gave me star power with a lightning blast at the end.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I really like it after six races. I hope they'll take our feedback into account when the surveys come out and then we can see something really good!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I know, Alyx. And it's depressing, thinking about what mobile gaming has become. I apologise for going off topic. Maybe I'm just another old man yelling at the clouds.

I do question if this is a good way to introduce people to Mario Kart and Nintendo though. For one, I don't think MK needs a gateway game like Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing could. This is just a product to appease share-holders and make money. All business, no love. And secondly, is it even good for brand-image? Just something I'm thinking about.

I won't derail the thread more. Just needed to vent.

You have a point though. Though I guess the more people they get Nintendo Accounts/email addresses from, the more people they can market to.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Nintendo mobile games with their IPs have been made by them.

Only their new IP Dragalia Lost wasn't I believe.

Fire Emblem was made by Intelligent Systems. For the rest, except for Animal Crossing which was developed along Ndcube, yeah, it was made in EPD.

Sorry that excuse doesn't work. Simply because that one paid model didn't work doesn't mean they had to go full gacha mobile cash grab from then on. There are plenty of successful mobile games that aren't gacha trash.

Probably a little in column A and B.

Point is, Nintendo chose to go straight hardcore gacha when there are other options. You have Minecraft, Pokemon GO, Fortnite, Stardew Valley, Brawl Stars (kinda lootboxy but not needed), Reigns, FNAF, etc. Honestly I don't think anyone here thought Nintendo would just start pumping out the most generic, typical mobile games when they entered the market. I figured they would be the new, more price friendly Supercell or something. I doubt most people on this forum would give Nintendo's mobile games another look if it didn't have a Mario / Animal Crossing / Fire Emblem skin.

Gacha trash is the default option in Japan and the normal model there. There's no backlash on it and it's accepted. As Japan always is the major market by far for the japanese companies in mobile (or even asian), they will use it. Only kompu gacha is viewed as bad and it was pretty much banned, even if it wasn't officially.. but no one dares to use that after 2012.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
oh whaaaaaaaaat

Bowser Cup's mission is a one-on-one race versus Mega Bowser, that's pretty neat

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I wonder which tracks will become available, since some have very sharp turns that i find difficult to perform well on this limited control scheme.

Also Item Frenzy sounds like a bad idea.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I got first place in my first 3 online races. The gyro controls basically require me to turn my phone completely sideways to steer but hey it worked.

I honestly didn't expect this to be real mario kart since they just wanted to use mobile to get people interested in their real games. Its pretty good.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty amazing to me that you can just not do anything and the game sort of auto steers you to a degree. Yeah it won't give you mini turbos, but still it gets you to the end of the track. Also it seems impossible to fall off?

Andre Segers said he actually started a race, put his phone in airplane mode, and it kept going like nothing changed...Has anyone confirmed that thing about you actually being able to race real people in later cups?

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I let my little cousin play and the game is surprisingly child-friendly. 50cc speed with gyro on and she was able to get 1st place, smart steering seems to be implemented as the kart would move slowly towards the racing track by itself.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
It's pretty amazing to me that you can just not do anything and the game sort of auto steers you to a degree. Yeah it won't give you mini turbos, but still it gets you to the end of the track. Also it seems impossible to fall off?

Andre Segers said he actually started a race, put his phone in airplane mode, and it kept going like nothing changed...Has anyone confirmed that thing about you actually being able to race real people in later cups?
You don't race any real people. The PVP thing is a Score ranking board for the Koopa Troopa cup.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only course I've played where it feels like the format gets in the way is N64 Koopa Beach. Lots of alternate paths does not work well with portrait mode and generous course correction.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't read the spoiler if you don't want the good feels ruined

The races aren't actually online. They're all bots. I know, it hurt me too :(
I could tell, all the other players were playing very dumb or not using Mario Kart basics like gliding or using them bumps as speed boosts.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only places where I feel like the controls are imprecise is when the course opens up into a broad space and I'm trying to avoid/drive onto something maybe twice the width of my kart. This isn't an aspect of a lot of the courses in the game, but it does come up in a few places.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
The app crashes out for me every time I try to attach my Nintendo ID. I wonder if it's an android 10 beta issue.

Sep 14, 2018
This game sounds horrible, if you aren't even playing people then it's a pass for me for sure.
Your avatar is appropriate.

As an aside, there are some people out there saying it's fine that the game isn't looking that good because Nintendo's strategy is to use mobile games to advertise their console games. To that I say, the best advertisement would be good mobile games. Games like Pocket Camp and now Mario Kart Tour aren't really going to appeal to people that aren't already fans.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Is this just for beta or is it not currently planned for you to race real people?
Don't think it's a beta thing, the only thing disabled for the beta is purchasing Emeralds and there's no reference to other Multiplayer features that I can find. It's either being saved for a future update after the game comes out or isn't happening at all, IMO.

We'll probably find out for sure once Nintendo finally starts officially detailing the game, though.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
So, what's the ERA consensus on control type? Automatic or manual drifting? Touch or gyro controls?

I tried gyro, but they feel more prone to just be wonky than the touch, but it works so much better with manual drifting than touch controls ever could.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your avatar is appropriate.

As an aside, there are some people out there saying it's fine that the game isn't looking that good because Nintendo's strategy is to use mobile games to advertise their console games. To that I say, the best advertisement would be good mobile games. Games like Pocket Camp and now Mario Kart Tour aren't really going to appeal to people that aren't already fans.

Agreed. The idea that Nintendo intentionally makes sub-par mobile games so they can upsell people to their console makes zero sense.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It honestly feels like Nintendo just doesn't understand

No, they understand. They understand perfectly. With Super Mario Run, they didn't understand. Charging $10 for a mobile game just didn't work.

With Tour, they've now adopted the slimy GACHA tactics most other developers are now employing.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the Power Save mode drops the resolution quite a bit. Still playable, but it's looking 3DS-level.

With gliders, it seems like it's better to pick based on the item they give than the course bonus in some cases. Super Glider seems bad in general - Super Horns aren't very good in this, and getting more Mushrooms is always preferable. Same with the Parachute, since bots just take a slight speed reduction from Bloopers.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
so first impressions:

1. controls feel off, or maybe I just suck with touch controls,but when I try to drift, I either turn too sharp or turn too late that I hit the edge. Not a big deal but it's a bit annoying

2. I can't say much about the gacha/stamina because it's only been the 1st day. With their other games, log in bonuses/daily missions are what made me stay with the game. FEH with their events giving away orbs/stamina potions practically every week as well and Dragalia with their updated login bonuses since last year have been great. I can't run out of stamina unless I play for a couple days. Gems/orbs are also abundant, but that only applies to me because I don't have the desire to have all the units, so I just stockpile them until there's something I want.

3. As for the actual premium currency, I'm only lvl 8 but it seems...sparse? Like it seems that you won't be getting emeralds from completing a cup and only from the stars you earn(counting from the gift page, you would get 170 total once you reach 340 stars or almost 4 10 pulls) or the challenges(if you complete the whole card)

4. You're going to have to grind here as well because the cost to purchase things with their regular currency(coins) is high and you need to level up(I guess power up in this case because there's also a skill lvl) your driver, kart, and glider so you can get more points.

5. Coin rush is a joke imo, a ticket gives you x2 coins earned, but if you don't have tickets it'll cost you emeralds, which again, are sparse(5 for x2, 15 for x6 and 25 for x10). Unless they do something you're going to be grinding for a while for coins just to maybe get a ticket to upgrade your card/glider/driver or outright buy a glider or kart

6. Biased but, seeing old tracks is nice.

7. Despite all that negativity, I enjoy this game. Minus the drifting, it feels like Mario Kart Lite with, as someone mentioned, a score attack mixed in, which is fun for me. Dupes get automatically merged which is great because I don't want to deal with dupes. It really depends on what they do with their currency(both free and premium)...because it really isn't looking good right now.