• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
With the latest Nintendo quarter report, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe has now sold in 33.41 million units. Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U has sold 8.45 million, which mean the total sales of both version reached 41.86 million, making it the best selling Mario Kart game ever.

List of Mario Kart games sales

Super Mario Kart - 8.76 million
Mario Kart 64 - 9.87 million
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - 5.91 million
Mario Kart: Double Dash! - 6.88 million
Mario Kart DS - 23.60 million
Mario Kart Wii - 37.38 million
Mario Kart 7 - 18.92 million
Mario Kart 8 - 41.86 million (33.41 million + 8.45 million)

SI_WiiU_MarioKart8_image1600w.jpg

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it got there last quarter
www.resetera.com

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 2.25M last quarter for a total of 28.99M. 8 + 8D > MK WII

See the title, as reported in Nintendo's financial earnings release: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/201105_4e.pdf The game should go on to outsell MK Wii by itself without the help of the original release as well, just give it a year or two. Sales numbers: MK8 = 8.45M MK8D = 28.99M...

really crazy tho, i don't think anyone could have expected 8 surpassing mkwii.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i'm pretty sure this milestone was reached in the previous quarter very narrowly.

what it achieved now is being the second best selling Nintendo game ever just behind Wii Sports.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MK8D should outsell MKWii by itself at this point. To think that once upon a time people are questioning its sales potential as an upgraded port.

OP
OP
Ryng™

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
it got there last quarter
www.resetera.com

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 2.25M last quarter for a total of 28.99M. 8 + 8D > MK WII

See the title, as reported in Nintendo's financial earnings release: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/201105_4e.pdf The game should go on to outsell MK Wii by itself without the help of the original release as well, just give it a year or two. Sales numbers: MK8 = 8.45M MK8D = 28.99M...

really crazy tho, i don't think anyone could have expected 8 surpassing mkwii.
wow i'm dumb lmao

really thought it happen this quarter

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
MK8D should outsell MKWii by itself at this point. To think that once upon a time people are questioning its sales potential as an upgraded port.

what's even more funny now is that pretty much every Wii U port has sold more on Switch, even the ones that sold low like Bayonetta 2.
soon we'll have one more to the club with SM3DW (and hopefully they bring in Xenoblade X now that this strategy is proven to be pretty much 100%).

Jan 15, 2019
Kind of odd to consider how ubiquitous and inescapable Mario Kart 64 seemed to be for anyone who was a kid in the late 90's, and then realize it only ever sold one-quarter of what MK8 has thus far.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly the most impressive stat in the OP is that MK8 sold 8.5m on the Wii U.

That's like over 60% of people who owned the console.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of odd to consider how ubiquitous and inescapable Mario Kart 64 seemed to be for anyone who was a kid in the late 90's, and then realize it only ever sold one-quarter of what MK8 has thus far.
N64 was the ultimate multiplayer machine, which probably contributed to why it felt like everyone had a N64 despite it not selling nearly as well, not everyone had the game, but everyone knew somebody who had the game, and everyone would come over to play it

Jan 15, 2019
N64 was the ultimate multiplayer machine, which probably contributed to why it felt like everyone had a N64 despite it not selling nearly as well, not everyone had the game, but everyone knew somebody who had the game, and everyone would come over to play it
True. It's possible that its multiplayer focus was part of why it sold ~1/3 what the PS1 did: as long as one person in a friend group had one, the others didn't feel it was necessary to own one themselves since they still got to play a lot of the AAA offerings. It definitely feels to me as though people today will wax nostalgic about Mario Kart 64 or Goldeneye more commonly than anything that was released for the PS1, even though objectively like 3x as many people owned one.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It definitely feels to me as though people today will wax nostalgic about Mario Kart 64 or Goldeneye more commonly than anything that was released for the PS1, even though objectively like 3x as many people owned one.
That's most definitely because people have fond memories of playing a game with friends, compared to playing a game alone. N64 was the party/local multiplayer console.
PS1 had a lot of sports games to play with friends, but those get released every year so are also less unique.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If Mario Kart Tour is Mario Kart 9, then that means the next Mario Kart is 10, or X, and the X can also stand for "cross," as in "crossover," and THAT means Lucina and Lola Pop can be on the roster, along with Metal Lucina, Pink Gold Lola Pop, etc

giphy.gif

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
I wonder how many units were needed to break even with the development costs. I guess 2 or maximum 3 million units. That's such an amazing achievement!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Blegh, I dislike this Mario Kart alot at launch, one of my least favourites. Deluxe makes it better, I still rank it in the bottom half though and I'm still bothered it knocked Wii off the top spot considering Wii is one of the best games in the series.

But hey, guess anything on Switch is going to sell bonkers numbers I guess...

Go make a Forza Horizon equivalent for Mario Kart already.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Blegh, I dislike this Mario Kart alot at launch, one of my least favourites. Deluxe makes it better, I still rank it in the bottom half though and I'm still bothered it knocked Wii off the top spot considering Wii is one of the best games in the series.

An open world Mario Kart? Disgusting.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say I dislike this one a lot, but it isn't the most exciting thing in the world. Some good tracks (and a lot!) and GREAT music and visuals, though, for sure. It's a lot more exciting than 7 at least. Wii was too chaotic for my tastes but it's OK. MKDS is still the best and I would guess I would like Double Dash a whole lot but it's the only one I have not really played in the whole series.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game. So i'm glad a lot of people who never owned a WiiU got a chance to play it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Mario, slow down!
This IP is some evergreen monster, yeah I gave up on next console Mario Kart until Switch 2.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Nintendo would be dumb not to launch Mario Kart 9 alongside the Switch 2, doing so may actually make that one the next best-selling Mario Kart title assuming the Switch 2 doesn't tank in sales.
Okay but where is MK9 nintendo? Its been 7 years...

For most people it has only been 4 years, so we will be waiting a long while before the next one shows up.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
Good. Waiting will make it a bigger deal on the next system.

I've already waited the best part of 7 years thanks, I don't want to wait years more for the next system. Mario Karts have come out every 2 to 3 years since Super Circuit on the GBA 20 years ago, until the Wii U's failure brought everything to a screeching halt. To go from that to what...9 years? 10 years? Who knows, but it fucking sucks.

And I know Nintendo and others here can point to this enhanced port, a mobile game and Home Circuit releasing since then, but to those I say: you know full well that those aren't the full on new Mario Kart, Nintendo-system experience that the games released up to MK8 were.

But that's my problem with a lot of the Switch releases of Wii U ports. They generally haven't been in addition to new games in the franchise, they've been instead of new games in the franchise (4 years into the console's life anyway). Makes total sense from a business perspective, sucks for Wii U owners .

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
As someone wo did already play it on the Wii U, it's kinda crazy that it will probably be like 10 years wait for a new mainline Mario Kart.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
DLC with more tracks should be a no-brainer in my opinion. The game is great but the tracks get stale of course.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A meaty expansion of some kind would go a long way in supercharging the game's legs even further and soften the inevitably long wait for Mario Kart X, as well as it missing some characters.