• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best kart racer in the last 10 years

• Mario kart 8

Votes: 1,271 68.9%
  • Crash team racing remake

Votes: 421 22.8%
  • Team Sonic racing

Votes: 38 2.1%
  • Others..

Votes: 113 6.1%

• Total voters

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing is probably still one of my favorites. I think in terms of just raw gameplay I like Mario Kart 8 better. Battle mode I like Mario Kart 64 and for the overall game with story mode I like Diddy Kong Racing the most. I think Crash Team Racing is pretty good, but it's its not as good as the other two for me personally. I still need to play the Sonic Racing Transformed, but though it isn't a kart racer I actually liked Sonic Riders lol. Sonic Riders was super fun to me. LOOK AT AMY RIDE THAT WAVE!

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I got impression that CTR has generally better SP experience (race feel, adventure mode, need stronger skill...), while MK8D has better almost everything else.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
SUMO could even tale TSR's team racing mechanics and roll them into a future Sonic Transformed sequel as an optional mode.

A sequel that will have all my lost SEGA bois and gurls.

It will feature Segata Sanshiro as a racer and will be 60fps across all platforms and be illustrious and a Panzer Dragoon racer and and and

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MNR is so underrated. Its biggest issue was load times. LBP Karting was kindof a spiritual sequel but the racing wasn't as great and the customization for your char/karts was also lacking compared to MNR. Track editor felt improved though. RIP UFG

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
What about Modnation Racers? I really liked making your own track. Next we need is a Super Mario Kart Maker.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The OP is pretty odd, like something from a 90s forum.

I prefer Crash Team Racing and Sonic Racing Transformed to Mario Kart 8, but it's a good kart racer. I think it's great that Mario Kart exists, but I just find Crash and Sonic are more technical games, which helps keep me engaged.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The best kart racer of the last 10 years is Sonic Racing Transformed. But Mario Kart 8 is indeed close, and a masterpiece in its own right.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
After playing a bit of CTR, it's really something different. I still prefer MK8 the most I think, being more easy to control and with something that seems more fair in term of difficulty.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to judge Crash Team Racing online issues as a negative when it's likely to be patched, or should we judge Mario Kart 8 on the Lobby Glitch the game had at launch where if anyone left the lobby, the whole lobby would get dropped and kick everyone?

It does have Zem and Zam though.

maxresdefault.jpg

These guys are the Waluigi of Crash Bandicoot.

And Mario Kart has Waluigi. I don't mind Waluigi though, he's okay.

However, Mario Kart also has this train wreck of a character as well.

81IQfo6dHXL._SX425_.jpg

And that's BEFORE we even talk about the Baby Version of this train wreck of a character as well.

Crash is missing some of the key characters from the series, but knowing from the datamines and the Grand Prix, the more popular ones are coming.

Where's Diddy Kong Nintendo? Why'd you make a Pink Gold Peach before putting Diddy Kong in this game? Where are you hiding him?

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Mario Kart 8 isn't even the best Mario Kart for me personally, let alone the best Kart racer.

That said, the one I enjoyed the most in the last 10 years was Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. You get 4 player split screen in every mode outside of time trials, world tour was a lot of fun, the driving was fun and the item mechanics were great.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 is fantastic but I have to say after playing CTR last night it has a franticness (I don't think that word exists but whatever) and a much more technical drifting model that makes it a lot of fun. I have been really enjoying it and the single player is definitely better than what MK8 has to offer. Both are great in different ways.

MK8 is definitely the easier and more accessible option, I was really struggling with CTR for the first three races or so and then all of a sudden it clicked and became very satisfying.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mario Kart is secretly Nintendo's best franchise now, having dethroned 3D Mario from the top position after three sequels that failed to live up to the standards of the Galaxy games. All of the expected first cycle games have been either released or announced by now, except Mario Kart. That MK9 will come out during the fourth year of Switch, at the earliest, is just bizarre.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Mario Kart 8 may be lacking the breadth of content and modes that something like Team Sonic Racing or even Crash Team Racing Refueled offers but the gorgeous visuals and art, silky smooth 60 FPS in solo and 2 player split-screen, clean UI and various unique power-ups that set the standard for the kart racing genre means that it still keeps the crown.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The OP is pretty odd, like something from a 90s forum.

I prefer Crash Team Racing and Sonic Racing Transformed to Mario Kart 8, but it's a good kart racer. I think it's great that Mario Kart exists, but I just find Crash and Sonic are more technical games, which helps keep me engaged.
Same reason I prefer them. I totally get why people would prefer MK8 though.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I agree Team Sonic Racing does not look like a truly current gen game, I was hoping for a bigger visual upgrade. Mario Kart 8, while gorgeous looking, doesn't impress me, though. I prefer the Sonic racers, and the king here is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed from 2012. It still is.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly a stacked genre in terms of major players, so it's bot surprising.

MK8 on Switch is such an incredible package for someone like me who never played it before. The content on offer is insane.