• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Maybe this DLC is like a trial run for the next Mario Kart which will be heavily be based off MK8 and Tour, and its gimmick will be every track returning and this is sorta the ground work to accomplishing this. So next time around they'll take a second art pass at these courses because the actual layouts and mechanics will be there

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So question, has it been confirmed that no... new characters will be part of the waves?

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
This DLC was a big surprise, Mario Kart 8 will live on forever lol. I'm predicting Mario Kart 9/10/Nintendo Kart will release within the first year or two of the Switch's successor, this has been the case for every Mario Kart so I see the same thing happening for the next one.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to call it right now; Mario Kart on Switch 2 will be Mario Kart 8 Ultimate Edition with all of the DLC bundled in.

It's low effort and will still sell like crazy.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Shroom Ridge is the real news here -- it's the best course with traffic hazards (beware the cliffs next to the lane where traffic is coming at you!), and the remake here looks lovely. So green!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You just made me (sorta) boot up tour ned_ballad and I'm greeted with Chargin' Chuck driving a hamburger and fries fast food kart to represent AMERICA

edit: oh of course Team meme-uigi won, this Wario disrespect, shake my damn head
They gave Wario about 30% fewer friends on his team so it wasn't a fair fight. The Waluigi bias goes all the way to the top

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Shroom Ridge is the real news here -- it's the best course with traffic hazards (beware the cliffs next to the lane where traffic is coming at you!), and the remake here looks lovely. So green!
Underrated track for sure, it's just a nice twist on the usual night time city themed traffic tracks, a pleasant country drive.

That said, traffic tracks is a pretty stacked category, all I know is Toad's Turnpike is the weakest and even that has some merits (mirror mode on the N64 version is comically terrifying)

They gave Wario about 30% fewer friends on his team so it wasn't a fair fight. The Waluigi bias goes all the way to the top
Disgusting

This is what happens when Land is constantly snubbed and Diamond City denizens don't get to play in the mario spinoffs, the uneducated people start to think Wario is the lesser character

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Tour is arguably part of the reason why MK8 is getting this mammoth sized expansion in the first place
I think it's part of my point. Mario kart 8:D was a finished, completely polished thing. Now this cheap looking add on is kind of a stain on an otherwise perfect presentation. like im happy for those excited by this, but it's not what I want. And I blame tour.

Oct 25, 2017
By far this was the best news of the Direct for me. I didn't think much would get me to consider the NSO expansion pass but this is looking like it might do just that.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Maybe this DLC is like a trial run for the next Mario Kart which will be heavily be based off MK8 and Tour, and its gimmick will be every track returning and this is sorta the ground work to accomplishing this. So next time around they'll take a second art pass at these courses because the actual layouts and mechanics will be there
i think mk8d is one of the best games ever made, certainly one of the best racing games, but if all they plan to do is just repackage 8 with a new number after we're already seemingly getting every track here would be the blandest thing. I already own 8D+DLC so why would I want to just spend full price to get the same thing? To me it feels more like a move where 9 is going to be a departure or at least have signfiicant differences and so they are trying to provide everything they can to 8D's style so people can enjoy that forever. It's almost a perfect game. They gotta try new bold moves to take this stuff forward so it doesn't just get scale. But who knows. It's fun typing out 8D though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think it's part of my point. Mario kart 8:D was a finished, completely polished thing. Now this cheap looking add on is kind of a stain on an otherwise perfect presentation. like im happy for those excited by this, but it's not what I want. And I blame tour.
You can not buy the DLC and you will still have your perfect Mario Kart 8.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Stain??? lmao you cannot be serious

Jan 11, 2018
I never expected it, releasing a completely new game on this Switch wouldn't really make sense at all when MK8 plays so perfectly and sold so well. This is the best outcome

Neither did I really, but I guess I was starting to buy into everyone saying they believed it was coming soon. This absolutely makes sense to do this way, and personally I'm happy to wait.

The only downside is that it doesn't seem like we're going to get another project from this team (Arms 2 or something else).

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the music will be played by a big band, but considering that it's basically an entire soundtrack and that the DLC costs 25 eur, I'm afraid they might not want to invest that much. On the other hand, their investment in Deluxe was minimal and the return gigantic, so who knows.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
FORTY EIGHT TRACKS

for 25 USD

The tracks could look like literall shit and still bring a HUGE value for those who play online.

Albeit there is a noticable difference in fidelity, dont fall into the trap of looking at individual elements like textures.

Remember what Reggie said: PLAY THE GAME!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How are the joy-con wheels? I played MK Wii exclusively with the wheel and it was great, but the Joy-con wheels look a bit small.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
48 tracks for 25 USD, it's like I don't recognize Nintendo anymore. They could have charged 60 and it would have sell anyways

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I hope the music will be played by a big band, but considering that it's basically an entire soundtrack and that the DLC costs 25 eur, I'm afraid they might not want to invest that much. On the other hand, their investment in Deluxe was minimal and the return gigantic, so who knows.
I don't know if we'll get big band. They haven't did any new MK8 big band music since the original DLC, the battle courses added in DX don't seem to be a live orchestra

Based on Coconut Mall, it seems they at least remastered it a bit (like they did for Grumble Volcano and Wario's Gold Mine). But other than Moo Moo Meadows, it's hard to tell if we're getting new music because the other Wii songs in 8 weren't really huge remakes. And the three Tour songs are probably alright, not much different than the other songs in MK8 that aren't necessarily orchestrated. Sky Garden will probably be the test because the GBA sounds are... not... good... and other than that is just remasters from Tour or DS which sound okay I guess, but it'll clash with the rest of the game

I also wonder about Luigi's Mansion, Luigi Circuit GCN, various SNES and GBA circuits, Waluigi Pinball and Moo Moo Farm that all share music with base game stages if they'll just re-use the ones from 8 or if they'll redo them or if they'll just rip the versions of those songs from tour

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
So basically Carlos85 personally funded Mario Kart 8 DLC by whaling hard in MKT. I am surprised they didn't front load it with courses that already appeared in Mario Kart Tour. The announcement basically spoils that Coconut Mall, Shroom Ridge, and Sky Garden are coming to Tour.

I'm also hoping that this means they'll consider something similar for Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and ACNH. It'd be great if they gave the console players a chance to buy the mobile DLC for a low price. I'd totally pay $25 to access some of the awesome Pocket Camp furniture, even if their model and texture work aren't quite up to the standards of ACNH.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
48 tracks. So basically a new MK game as DLC.

Epic.
Does a normal game even have 48 tracks? This is better than a new game imo.

Switch can't really push graphics much further than 8 already does and maintain 60fps. This is a ton of content for less than half the price of a new game, and they can focus on making a new one when new hardware will let them do something truly 'new'.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Each wave will bring 1 course per retro game or they are going to release 2 games per wave? Like Cup Super Mario Kart and Cup Mario Kart 64?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Each wave will bring 1 course per retro game or they are going to release 2 games per wave? Like Cup Super Mario Kart and Cup Mario Kart 64?
there's no pattern to what games they come from

the first wave includes 3 tracks from tour, 1 from 7, 1 from 64, 1 from wii, 1 from DS and 1 from super circuit. there aren't enough unique tracks in tour to keep that up forever, and the DS track (shroom ridge) hasn't even been datamined to show up in tour yet, so we can only speculate based on what we know is available and what would work for both games

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The only thing they can do now is to go sideways, like how Odyssey abandoned gravity and went for the capture mechanic instead. Maybe that's one of the reasons why there hasn't been a Mario Kart 9. They want to milk the existing format for as long as possible, since there is only one more thing they can do to evolve the series: the idea of Smash Kart, i.e. expanding out to include characters and stages outside of the Mushroom Kingdom, and perhaps even 3rd party universes. Then they're gonna milk that concept for another 10+ years.

That seems like the next logical and foreseeable step, further opening up the roster to third party characters and/or digging deeper into their own own pool of characters.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Why is Tour relevant here?
The assets for nearly every course being added are taken directly from Tour

Does a normal game even have 48 tracks? This is better than a new game imo.

Switch can't really push graphics much further than 8 already does and maintain 60fps. This is a ton of content for less than half the price of a new game, and they can focus on making a new one when new hardware will let them do something truly 'new'.
Yea, the base game had 48 tracks, this doubles the number of courses in the game

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
MK9/10 doesn't need to reinvent anything to be successful. Keep all the features and gameplay from MK8DX and have 48 courses at launch. 24 New and 24 Retro. Then some time later they announce DLC that adds 48 additional courses for the long run of the system. Again 24 New and 24 Retro.

Mario Kart will be Nintendo's "Always in development" series.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Tour relevant here?
The tracks so far look like ports from tour. It seems not a lot of time and money was spent on this DLC.

I assume Shroom Ridge will either be added to tour around the time the first DLC drops.

MK9/10 doesn't need to reinvent anything to be successful. Keep all the features and gameplay from MK8DX and have 48 courses at launch. 24 New and 24 Retro. Then some time later they announce DLC that adds 48 additional courses for the long run of the system. Again 24 New and 24 Retro.

Mario Kart will be Nintendo's "Always in development" series.
I'd much rather have the traditional 16 old and 16 new at a higher quality than 48 at launch.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
All I need is:
DK Mountain
Wario Coliseum
Dino Dino Jungle
Maple Treeway
Mushroom Gorge

and I will be SO HAPPY