• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018

if I'm nintendo I'm looking real good right now.

Other switch games on the top 50 best selling list are: Super Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Smash Ultimate, and Breath of the wild... wow!

EDIT/DISCLAIMER: I meant to put Mario kart 8 + deluxe in the title but I cannot change it. Just want to make it clear, it's both versions, kinda like GTA V on PS3/PS4/Xbox360/XboxOne are all combined

OP
OP
Nikachu

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Fun fact, if you separate Mario Kart 8 deluxe and the original Mario Kart 8 (Wii u), and apply the same rules to other cross platform or cross generational games like call of duty & GTA, Mario Kart 8 deluxe would still make it around the top 10 region

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Nintendo is just a monster. You have a couple of one-hit wonders in other companies on that list and then there's just Nintendo/2nd party titles taking up half the chart.

OP
OP
Nikachu

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Nintendo is just a monster. You have a couple of one-hit wonders in other companies on that list and then there's just Nintendo/2nd party titles taking up half the chart.

And the switch will likely dominate the chart by the time it's done, much like the Wii/DS dominates it.

I can totally see Animal Crossing, the next Pokémon switch title, the next 3D Mario & maybe 3D zelda joining the ranks.

And if they do another Mario Kart, which I doubt considering how great 8 is still doing.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Not really, it was an easy cash grab for Nintendo (no new Mario Kart on Switch, just port the last gen game over)

OP
OP
Nikachu

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Should be higher tbh
The next game above it, ironically, is Mario Kart Wii... 8/Deluxe needs to sell 4 million more copies to surpass it and become the best selling Mario Kart. Might be possible? If they did DLC I think it would give it the push it needs. I see they've been doing events for the game recently

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
List feels like

Mojang
Rockstar
Nintendo
Nintendo
Nintendo
Nintendo
Rockstar Games
Nintendo
Nintendo
Nintendo
Nintendo
Blizzard Entertainment
Nintendo
Nintendo
Nintendo
Activision
Nintendo
Nintendo

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The next game above it, ironically, is Mario Kart Wii... 8/Deluxe needs to sell 4 million more copies to surpass it and become the best selling Mario Kart. Might be possible? If they did DLC I think it would give it the push it needs. I see they've been doing events for the game recently
MK8DX alone will outsell MKWii.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the goddamn Juggernaut of video games. It's actually kinda crazy how it not only refuses to die but continues to sell gangbusters.

Only reason I'm not surprised is at this point it's been doing so consistently well that it's not a surprise to hear it's still going.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a certainty for 8+8D to pass wii, will happen before the end of 2020. 8D alone will pass wii in a year or two.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama

the game is selling so consistently it doesn't need anything extra to eventually beat MKWii. i'd bet the Switch version alone can do it by the end of the generation (nintendo says they're halfway into the Switch lifecycle and MK8D alone has more than 20 million copies sold already)

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo, drop the nonsensical need to feature only Mario characters and make the series Mario Kart by name and Nintendo Kart in spirit.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They usually tell me the game is annoying to play and that I wouldn't have fun with it. :\
Funniest Mario Kart I've ever played, and straight up the best Kart racer, it's not even close imo. If you've ever liked a Mario Kart, I can't see you not liking to loving it
Nintendo, drop the nonsensical need to feature only Mario characters and make the series Mario Kart by name and Nintendo Kart in spirit.
It already started in the DLCs, I expect the next Mario Kart to become pretty much Nintendo Kart, it's the best way to really push the series forward and create big hype for the next one

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Yea I don't think the bottom half of that list is accurate with a bunch of the switch games mixed in there.

But yea Mario Kart 8 is an all time classic now

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is impeccable, as is the charm, but I sincerely hope they bring the heat in terms of content for the next numbered entry. There is no excuse to launch with such a barren campaign when games like Nitro Fueled and even Sonic Team Racing absolutely decimate it in this category. Nintendo should be king here.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I highly doubt that list is updated. A lot of companies dont give ltd sale result of their games like Nintendo does(which is quite good of them).

The witcher 3 here is at 28million but that figure is a year old.

Pubg 60million figure is also 6+ months old.

None of the call of duty games have correct ltd afaik as activision reports in dollar earnings and does not give a unit sold breakdown. And cod games have amazing legs(you can see on matts npd ltd list for this).

Fifa sells 20+million yearly but there is only 1 fifa game on the list.(ea reported fifa 19 sold 20million a few months ago but its not here for example)

Gta 4 25million number is over 8 years old.

So on and so forth. In the end it is wikipedia. This does not take away that mk8+8d has sold exceptionally well. But a correct top 10 unit sale list is something we might never get as most big companies are not invested in updating ltd unit results to the public.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
tumblr_o49eweDN7F1sca8xco1_400.gifv

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I do find that list fascinating as to why they combine say Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald together when Emerald is a slightly different beast

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I highly doubt that list is updated. A lot of companies dont give ltd sale result of their games like Nintendo does(which is quite good of them).

The witcher 3 here is at 28million but that figure is a year old.

Pubg 60million figure is also 6+ months old.

None of the call of duty games have correct ltd afaik as activision reports in dollar earnings and does not give a unit sold breakdown. And cod games have amazing legs(you can see on matts npd ltd list for this).

Fifa sells 20+million yearly but there is only 1 fifa game on the list.(ea reported fifa 19 sold 20million a few months ago but its not here for example)

Gta 4 25million number is over 8 years old.

So on and so forth. In the end it is wikipedia. This does not take away that mk8+8d has sold exceptionally well. But a correct top 10 unit sale list is something we might never get as most big companies are not invested in updating ltd unit results to the public.
Your point stands but 28m for Witcher 3 is as of December 2019 (we got that figure like a month ago) and IGN got Call of Duty units sales figures from Activision for an article they did on the series back when Ghosts launched. Btw if you want an updated GTA4 number: 32m as of October 29, 2013

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's even more impressive that there are 5 Switch exclusives (including MK8 and BOTW Wii U) in that list, that's insane.