• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
YYYY-MM-DD for anything technical or for file file systems. MM/DD for everything else.

DD/MM has no advantage, the only reason to use it is familiarity. For single dates neither notation is more useful, however when dealing with multiple dates I'm far more likely to be interested in finding all the dates in a given month. Good luck scanning a list of dates for all those in for example July, with them written in DD/MM. MM/DD is also superior for date ranges. With 7/10 - 8/20 I can immediately see I'm looking at multiple months, 10.07 - 20.08 is far less obvious.

So really, either notation is only useful for conveying information to other people, and for that MM/DD is the only one that has actual advantages over DD/MM.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same with 2/22/22, 22/2/22 just didn't have the same ring to it

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
MM/DD is OK. If you usw YYYY/MM/DD. MM/DD/YYYY is lunacy though.
Smallest to largest, MDY. Also it flows more naturally out loud, "March 10th, 2022" written sure, it looks clunky but it doesn't sound as bizarre as "10th of march, 2022" out loud, why the need for the extra of?

Day is important, but It doesn't need a qualifier if it's the same month, if it's a different month, I'm going to preface it with the month to make the conversation flow more naturally. "It's on the 10th" or "It's on April 10th".

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next time there's a topic on temperature and someone argues Fahrenheit is better because it's more granular I'm going to ask why in that case they don't use centimetres instead of inches.
People don't like it because it "granular " they like it because it's more relative to how a human experiences variances in temperature. cm are too small to be useful for how a human would measure things without a measuring stick. meters make far more sense (and their pretty much the same a yards as around 3 feet is something people can visualize ) just decimalizing makes certain powers of ten weird to common human experiences which is why most metrication took place before many of these people who use it before they were born.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Smallest to largest, MDY. Also it flows more naturally out loud, "March 10th, 2022" written sure, it looks clunky but it doesn't sound as bizarre as "10th of march, 2022" out loud, why the need for the extra of?

Day is important, but It doesn't need a qualifier if it's the same month, if it's a different month, I'm going to preface it with the month to make the conversation flow more naturally. "It's on the 10th" or "It's on April 10th".
Smallest to largest is DD/MM/YYYY, not MM/DD/YYYY. That is medium-smallest-largest.
People don't like it because it "granular " they like it because it's more relative to how a human experiences variances in temperature. cm are too small to be useful for how a human would measure things without a measuring stick. meters make far more sense (and their pretty much the same a yards as around 3 feet is something people can visualize ) just decimalizing makes certain powers of ten weird to common human experiences which is why most metrication took place before many of these people who use it before they were born.
You can use decimeters though, you do not need to go down to centimeters..

RJWalker

Feb 16, 2021
"MM/DD is how people say it/It sound better" has got to be the stupidest argument by far.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
What is with the internet's obsession with bashing the imperial system of measurements and other country-specific ways of doing things? So some people know & use the imperial system and also understand metric as well and (maybe) use it for work or something. Who truly cares about this? When I'm in the kitchen making a recipe, I'm not brought to my knees with despair when a recipe calls for a tablespoon of sugar.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
why do we have gallons using the same name to measure the same thing (liquid volume) But the amounts vary?

UK gallon and US gallon are about 20% different

Magni

do you mail to House #, Street, City, State or the other way around?

The other way around in Japanese. Though Japanese addresses usually don't include streets (the overwhelming majority of streets in Japan don't have names or numbers), but that's a whole other discussion.

I wonder if literally anyone uses YYYY-DD-MM.

Raises hand. Not only is it the national standard in a ton of countries, it's also the international standard globally.
Nevermind, I somehow didn't notice this was year-day-month... I don't think anyone uses that.

when dealing with multiple dates I'm far more likely to be interested in finding all the dates in a given month. Good luck scanning a list of dates for all those in for example July, with them written in DD/MM. MM/DD is also superior for date ranges. With 7/10 - 8/20 I can immediately see I'm looking at multiple months, 10.07 - 20.08 is far less obvious.

It depends which language you're thinking in. If I'm thinking in English, then 7/10 - 8/20 is more immediately understandable (July 10th to August 20th). But if I'm thinking in French, then 10.07 - 20.08 works better (10 juillet - 20 août). Which is why this debate will never be settled, since not everyone reads dates the same way (not even within the same language).

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Month/Day/Year is acceptable in spoken speech, but is criminal in text.

I have declared.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
MMDDYYYY seems counterintuitive to me. I'll just assume you are going from smaller (day) to largest (year), so it's weird to skip that scale. But with all this things I don't think there are inheret beneifts to one system or the other just what you are used too. The metric system might be a bit better because it's more unviersal but that's it.

Going back to the month thing, I think the best option having the month in a three letter symbol (JAN, FEB, MAR, etc.) becuase in that case it doesn't really matter if month comes first or second, and removes the ambiguity.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Raises hand. Not only is it the national standard in a ton of countries, it's also the international standard globally.
No, that's YYYYMMDD.
Frequency is anyones guess, which is why I say we can only compare 180 vs infinity-180.
It's not everyone's guess, it's purely context dependant. For short term planing, day is the most important. For a longer period planing, it's month. In absolute, it's year.

Because with your own argumentation, year is the most important and should come first. Which gives you the ISO standard that most people agree is the best.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
People don't like it because it "granular " they like it because it's more relative to how a human experiences variances in temperature.
Granularity definitely was used in previous conversation as a supposed advantage of Fahrenheit, because, apparently, it's impossible to speak in half degree.

And relative to your human experience, sure, but when I read books with Fahrenheit in it, I have no idea what that mean (except the one by Ray Bradbury because its title is of course explained as soon as someone speak about it but knowing burning paper temperature is not that useful in day to day life 😁).

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Edit: oh wow I completely missed that that post was saying YYYY-DD-MM. That's such a nonsensical thing that my brain refused to process it.
No, you see, it makes perfect sense if you are a Terminator travelling back in time to murder someone who is employed part time on even days: First you'd want to make sure you're in the right year, and then you'd only care about the day of the month. The month itself is irrelevant.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is Miku Day

Actually, I'm pretty sure I don't want to know, since I assume it's related to Hatsune Miku.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think both YYYYMMDD and MMDDYYYY recognize that the month is more important for placing your frame of reference and navigating the calendar. YYYY just goes at the end because it's less important in a practical sense. People understand generally what year things are happening. Like if I said I need that report done by April 1st, you wouldn't be like what year, 2027? And if I asked what is the date today how would you even say 2022/03/09? or 09/03/2022 for that matter. It's March 9th.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
other americans getting mad because people make fun of them for using a date format no one else uses is my favorite part of this site tbh

i only use day month year tbh, so i'm immune (unless you start getting into customary vs metric shit but i don't understand either)

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I think both YYYYMMDD and MMDDYYYY recognize that the month is more important for placing your frame of reference and navigating the calendar. YYYY just goes at the end because it's less important in a practical sense. People understand generally what year things are happening. Like if I said I need that report done by April 1st, you wouldn't be like what year, 2027? And if I asked what is the date today how would you even say 2022/03/09? or 09/03/2022 for that matter. It's March 9th.
If I say I need something for the 15th, you'll know from context it'll be 15th of march, giving the month is irrelevant.
If you want to take a calendar, you have to know from which year.
Which is to say: which part of a date is the most important is context dependent ( all contexts which happen regularly), stop trying to use it to justify MMDDYYYY. Heck, the day is actually the only one that is always needed to communicate a specific point in time, regardless of context.

For the last point: you do know there are other languages than English right? American English is the only language where MMDD makes sense verbally. Heck, even in english English you'll say 15th of March.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If I say I need something for the 15th, you'll know from context it'll be 15th of march, giving the month is irrelevant.
If you want to take a calendar, you have to know from which year.
Which is to say: which part of a date is the most important is context dependent ( all contexts which happen regularly), stop trying to use it to justify MMDDYYYY. Heck, the day is actually the only one that is always needed to communicate a specific point in time, regardless of context.

For the last point: you do know there are other languages than English right? American English is the only language where MMDD makes sense verbally. Heck, even in english English you'll say 15th of March.

I think it's quite obvious this debate is primarily between English speakers on which date format works best for their language. Obviously if your language is constructed differently then the arguments here would be completely moot. Notice that I am typing in English and you are responding in English and this entire thread has been conducted in English so I don't know why the existence of other languages who may construct their sentences in completely different ways would have any relevance as to which date format makes sense for english speakers. I feel like saying 15th of March would be almost pompously formal lol. It's just missing an anno domini 2022 in there

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody cares too much about it. It's best not to fuss about it.

We just assign funny days to whatever string of numbers is convenient, regardless of YYYY/MM/DD or DD/MM/YYYY.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's quite obvious this debate is primarily between English speakers on which date format works best for their language. Obviously if your language is constructed differently then the arguments here would be completely moot. Notice that I am typing in English and you are responding in English and this entire thread has been conducted in English so I don't know why the existence of other languages who may construct their sentences in completely different ways would have any relevance as to which date format makes sense for english speakers. I feel like saying 15th of March would be almost pompously formal lol. It's just missing an anno domini 2022 in there
Last I checked, they speak English in England. You know, the country the language comes from.
They usually use 15th of March.