• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Gx68gGT.png

Nintendo and Universal Studios Japan announced that Mario Cafe & Store will open at Universal Studios Japan on October16, 2020 ahead of the planned opening of Super Nintendo World in early 2021. Construction on Super Nintendo World is already complete, but opening was delayed due to COVID-19 pandemic.

Mario Cafe & Store will be located in the Hollywood area of Universal Studios Japan, separated from the Super Nintendo World area, and will integrate a restaurant and merchandise store themed after Super Mario (please note that Super Nintendo World will also have it's own restaurants and stores like Kinopio's Cafe).

K658Bg4.jpg

0dBalsv.jpg

SFyYyhX.jpg

At the Cafe, food and drinks themed after Super Mario characters like Mario and Luigi like "Pancake Sand" and "Fruit Cream Soda", as well as items like the "Super Mushroom Drink Bottle" wil be available.

aaGJZoA.jpg
mm5cXCl.jpg

u01XaCZ.jpg
ruseZBC.jpg

At the Store, original goods like T-shirts, pouches, smartphone cases, keychains and more centered on the theme "WHOSE CAP?" will be available for purchase.

7KmJgGG.jpg
eUBtCFR.jpg

Source: Nintendo, Universal Studios Japan

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A little odd they're getting their own dedicated stores outside of the themed area but I suppose they also don't really have a great place to put them otherwise. The cafe concept art is weird, the Paper Mario TTYD koopa shell and Mushroom don't fit in with the surrounding art at all.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The opening being delayed to spring is definitely expected. I would assume depending on the state of the virus globally that could be pushed into summer, but opening before the Olympics seems like Universal's ride or die moment on this land.

The cafe and shop are neat, but it definitely seems like something put together in the last few months to improve their relationship with Nintendo after the massive delays.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I'm too poor to go to Japan but those treats look fantastic. Also wow, that leaked photo looks awesome. There's soooo much going on.

OP
OP
Marufuku

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
If someone hasn't seen yet, there is also videos showing various animatronics working:

Last edited:

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
I expect them to have Mushroom Tea, otherwise this is going to be a worthless effort

OP
OP
Marufuku

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
A little odd they're getting their own dedicated stores outside of the themed area but I suppose they also don't really have a great place to put them otherwise. The cafe concept art is weird, the Paper Mario TTYD koopa shell and Mushroom don't fit in with the surrounding art at all.

The themed area will have it's own stores like Kinopio's Cafe.

I think these separate stores are being open to build interest and to make use of the time while the themed area doesn't open.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I was really wondering how the themed food would look like. And it looks super fun.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Um... Isn't this a really bad time to be opening a cafe??

Other countries have this thing more controlled than the USA, so they can open this kind of things. ALSO this is a cafe in a theme park, which have been super controlled since the opened on the pandemic. There has been zero cases of widespread coronavirus in the majority of theme parks reopened. I was here in one in Spain, and with the controls it had, I felt more save than walking though the street. The good thing about theme parks is that they can force precautions at all times, while the street, if theres no police around a lot of people dont give a damn (and cities are harder to cover than a theme park with workers and security going all the time around).

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the cafe and shop here seem to be temporary before the land opens. Inside the lands there's going to be dining at Toad's Cafe, and two stores called Mario Motors (the Mario Kart ride gift shop) and 1-Up Factory.

Nov 1, 2017
Other countries have this thing more controlled than the USA, so they can open this kind of things. ALSO this is a cafe in a theme park, which have been super controlled since the opened on the pandemic. There has been zero cases of widespread coronavirus in the majority of theme parks reopened. I was here in one in Spain, and with the controls it had, I felt more save than walking though the street. The good thing about theme parks is that they can force precautions at all times, while the street, if theres no police around a lot of people dont give a damn (and cities are harder to cover than a theme park with workers and security going all the time around).
I was under the impression that Japan wasn't doing too hot lately. You're right though, I may be biased - Ontario has dropped the ball here the past month.

Wow, this picture looks so unreal, it's fascinating.

For the Orlando version, is it supposed to be apart of Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure?
It's going to be a part of the third gate that they've been trying to build nearby the park called Epic Universe. It's been postponed due to the pandemic, so it's not likely to be open until 2024. That one will be the biggest of the theme parks, though, since it will feature the Donkey Kong area with the mine cart rollercoaster.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
cool, but now I'm getting reminded of that horrible Universal Studios game for gamecube

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that Japan wasn't doing too hot lately. You're right though, I may be biased - Ontario has dropped the ball here the past month.
I dont think many countries are doing so hot lately apart from China (if they are not lying of course), but most of the time will still be better than how the USA is doing, even if not by much.
Theme parks seem to have been well protected in all this months, at least the ones i know from europe (dont know how things are going in Orlando), as I said from my own exprience, I felt more protected than going down the street of my city because everyone is following the rules, and hygyene is number 1, cleaning everything anybody touches as soon as they get out from rides and dinner places (which makes queues much longer, but it is what it is).
Right now in Spain, parties and family gatherings are the number 1 faults of people still catching the corona, and its very hard to stop those becuase some people think they are inmune, so no masks during those and everybody is touching and hugging, and of course is impossible for police to be on top of all this 24/7. In theme parks, they cant do that, becuase they are being watched at all times, which shows if that actually people respected rules 100% of the times, not 99, 100 and at ALL times, corona would not be as easily spread.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The cafe and shop opened in Japan.

Also the shopping bag that shows new SNW art. More pics in the tweet that confirm a rumor about a certain Nintendo series getting a cameo in the park!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The longstanding rumor was that Pikmin would be scattered in SNW as hidden easter eggs. Very cool touch, gonna be fun finding them!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to Red Pikmin, the Blue and Yellow Pikmin are also on the bag. Blue is on top of the lamp on the left, while Yellow is clinging to a ? Block (harder to see).