• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Can't relate to the premise of this thread. 64, despite being a launch title, still holds up as one of the best looking games of that generation. The DS version remaking the graphics in line with how later Mario characters/enemies look didn't necessarily make it better.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What I've been wondering is if they've asked the Tokyo team to remake 64 right after wrapping up Odyssey. Then Sunshine and Galaxy get more modest remasters. It's a bit of a long shot, but if any game deserves a revisit (especially of these three) it's 64.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't even want to see it in high resolutions let alone with all the old assets tossed out for new ones

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
SM64's graphics are dated but they're also very nostalgic and iconic in there own way. I can see Nintendo not wanting to mess with that and instead capitalise on the retro look the same way they do with the original SMB.

What I would like to see are subtle improvements to allow the visuals to hold up in 1080p while still maintaining the look we all remember. That is to say, they should redo all the 2D elements (sprites and textures) in higher resolution but draw them as faithfully as possible to the original art.

Jan 3, 2018
score_0.png

This level was actually a little disappointing to me because it made it even more apparent that Galaxy's controls are inferior to M64's.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I hope not, Mario 64 is interesting for it's historic value more than anything. Not saying it's not still a lot of fun, but the #1 most important thing about Mario 64 is how ground-breaking it was back in 1996, and people revisiting it are doing so to discover that.

Touching it up now would be like trying to colorize Citizen Kane or translate Hamlet into 21st Century English.
Meh. It's not like it's hard to find the old version to play. I've gotten 100% on Sunshine, Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, Odyssey . . . And like 99% on 3D World. I've played 64 and I think the level design and everything is still pretty awesome, but the camera and clunky controls have really been a roadblock to me. I'd be overjoyed to have a full fledged modern version of the game.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Are people serious with the "graphics as is, just in 1080p"? That wouldn't look good at all.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Go for a 90's vaporwave remake, full on balls to the wall pastel colours and floating Greek statue heads

EVERYTHING C H R O M E

Otherwise I opt for upscaling the art and polygons and tightening the controls, but doing its best to maintain the same sort of physics as the original.

OT but please keep some effort into remaking Sunshine with better camera controls, Ninty. I beg ye.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Wish there was a poll, I'm almost certain all the games are going to be native res 60fps ports of the originals, with only button prompts, etc changed.

No way it's a full on remake, *especially* as part of a collection.

Even so, I'm super stoked to have widescreen, 60fps versions of 64 and Sunshine

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
If they're going for a "Mario All-Stars 2" type of deal, I doubt it will be an actual remake. I'm expecting a touched up port/remaster of the original with improved controls and sharper visuals ala Banjo Kazooie on XBLA.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a really tricky situation because people will flip no matter what. If they go and change the geometry of it, tricks used by sopedrunners will simply stop working, what is enough to enfuriate a lot of people. If the change only the textures and effect, a lot of comparison will be draw with another recent collections of 5th gen remakes, and another shitstorm will come.

It's really the worst time ever Nintendo could chose to modernize these classics.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
There is NO WAY someone would buy a N64-looking game in this day and age.

*goes back to Doom 64*

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i guess i don't know what to expect

my initial reaction is that it won't be some marvelous graphics complete remake and that it will just simply look better, won't look bad but maybe appear pretty empty

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo will put 64, sunshine, and galaxies on one card then I don't see them to improve 64 much. It likely will be a "museum"-like release akin to Kirby colletion on Wii.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
If I am a Nintendo and have to do the 'Remaster' of Mario64. I might just keep a original low poly look.
mario-64.jpg

but put these mapping-texture like a villagers in NH l(Not too sure about technical terms but you know what mean) on everything.
Banner-Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons-Wilbur-and-New-Villagers.jpg

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Doom64 is $5 and has a bunch of new content too, lol. This will probably be launching in a collection at $60.
That indeed sucks, but I guess Nintendo thinks the other games looking great will make up for it.

I, personally, would have zero issues with something that looks like the Turok or Doom 64 ports on Switch, though.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Some of y'all are out of your god damn minds. 64 looks like shit. I would hope if any game gets a remake it's Super Mario 64. If Zelda can get remakes it's about time 64 gets the HD treatment. Unless 64 will be a digital only title I imagine that's exactly what they are doing. They aren't going to sell 64 at retail with its original visuals.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I've always disliked Super Mario 64, but the visuals is one of its only redeeming factors. So much more appealing than anything else until Odyssey happened.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Really don't expect them to do anything but upscale it, but I'd love it if they included an option to use the Mario 64 DS graphics (pixilated textures and all).

Would also love an option to play Mario 64 at the original resolution with 4x line doubling; I personally prefer sharp pixels to super sharp low poly models rendered at 1080p.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sunshine looks like plastic nowadays.

It needs quite a few retouches.

Yeah, everything seems to have this weird sheen to it. Never really noticed it back then, but it was very apparent when playing on Dolphin.

The Galaxy games still look amazing though, especially in HD. Surprisingly the textures and geometry hold up quite well. They would only need some minor changes tbh.

Did everyone collectively forget of super mario 64 ds? Lol

It's hardly a graphical remaster. The character models look better, but we trade muddy textures for extremely pixelated ones and a washed out color palette.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Re-releasing SM64 in its current form is pointless, as is the case with all 64 era games. It needs serious visual and performance work, and at that point you are probably better off just remaking the thing in a new engine entirely.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
OP said "4000 times" lol. Was hoping for something more...high definition. Thought I missed something

I mean Zero is HD, but it's only on the Wii U of course. It's also not that great.

and yeah, OP is exaggerating. the only re-imaginings we got were the 64 3D remaster and Zero. The other games were simply sequels up to that point.

May 24, 2019
If the releases are real, I don't think they have time or budget to implement completely new animations with facial features and such, so if that can't be up to Odyssey level, I'd rather they go with some sort of low-poly stylisation.
Like, have the graphics seem like what people remember, but in reality things like sprite trees are real models, and textures aren't so low that you can count the pixels, but also aren't trying to be anything "realistic".

edit: That's if each game is going to be full priced. If it's 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, etc in one package, simply upping the res with new UI elements is fine.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't mind them updating the graphics as long as the level design and physics remain in place.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
This level was actually a little disappointing to me because it made it even more apparent that Galaxy's controls are inferior to M64's.
Agreed. The limited movement options of Galaxy made the bigger levels a chore to play. I felt the same about the bee hive level. You can tell that the game was designed around slower movement, hence why the planetoid level felt great.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Honestly I kinda love the way Mario 64 looks. It's never looked "bad" to me since I first played it when the N64 was new. The simplicity of it saves it from aging too hard IMO

This is how I feel also. It has great art design. I still love playing it, as well.

Personally, I hope they boost the resolution and leave everything else the way it is.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys not know the difference between remake and remaster at this point? It's a remaster. The best you're going to get is the DS models slightly cleaned up and mildly better textures. There's zero chance they are making it look like Odyssey.

It's the new Super Mario All Stars. It doesn't matter that one of the games doesn't hold up visually, there'll be four of them and the rest are fine.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think SM64 is plenty ugly.

Since Mario games tend to have a lot of reoccurring characters and level features it should be easier to make HD versions of old Mario games than other franchises just by utilizing assets from newer Mario games. Of course it'd still be a lot of labor but you wouldn't need to make a new Mario or goomba, that's gotta count for something.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
the more I think about it (if that is indeed a thing coming up), the more I expect to not be something full blown as many expect. I'd love to have N. Sane Trillogy level of quality for SM64 with all the content from the DS version (which means looking at least as good as Odyssey), but I think it will end being the exactly same game (N64 version), with widescreen support, 60fps and few QoL touch ups.. basically what the Banjo games are in the XBL.. disappointing, but at least fitting to be part of a collection.

If it was an actual remake with tons of added content, Nintendo would sell it for $60 alone and not part of compilation.