• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder which of Fox's hosts will fight this. It is a toss up between Tucker or Doocey. Seriously though it sounds like some good moves regardless of the motivations. Let's see if the additional proposals/reviews materialize in the near future.

All Confederate flags, bumper stickers and similar items must be removed from Marine Corps bases, according to a new directive from the commandant.

Marine Gen. David Berger has told his commanders to begin implementing the order or develop plans to do so by Saturday.

The order was included in a sweeping memo Berger sent out last week that calls for administrative changes and other reviews. They range from efforts to recruit additional women for combat jobs, restrictions on Marines convicted of domestic violence and the possible expansion of maternity leave and guidelines for pregnant service members.

apnews.com

Marine general orders removal of Confederate items at bases

The Marine Corps commandant has ordered the removal of all Confederate flags, bumper stickers and other similar items from the service's bases. Gen.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, why fly the symbols of enemy combatants?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's technically displaying another country's flags so... yeah, how was this not tended to sooner.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should ask Trump what he feels about this on camera. He was so for keeping Confederate statues.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Good. You should not be allowed to wave flags of an enemy leader, as far as I know, most people forget the flag commonly flown today isn't the actual flag of the confederacy, but General Lee's specific warflag.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That's technically displaying another country's flags so... yeah, how was this not tended to sooner.

giphy.gif

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing we should do is fly the flag of traitorous losers to show our patriotism.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, why fly the symbols of enemy combatants?

First post nails it.

It's amazing how people don't realize (or want to realize) that waving the flag of an enemy of the United States ain't exactly patriotic. I'd dare say flying the flag of outright traitors is one of the least damn patriotic things you can do, but what do I know.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude bro marines flying a racist flag are probably the same ones who fantasize about going to the ME to kill people in their own countries.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Heard a rumor the Military is gearing up to go harder after racist like they did from the 90s to the early 2ks.
A lot of people about to waved for their tattoos

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
If the Army did this they would have to rename like half of their garrisons

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
qBXSXC3l.png

Who am I kidding. This is obviously the latest and greatest ploy of George Sorros's DEEEEEEEEEP STAAAAAAAAAAAAAATEā„¢ to undermine Dear Leader.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I had to go onto Fort Carson in Colorado a few years back for work, and there was a truck on base flying a huge confederate flag on the back. I couldn't believe it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of cognitive dissonance required to fly the flag of what was literally an adversarial country that killed thousands of United States troops at military bases for United States troops is staggering.

Lincoln and the government's post-war softness on the former Confederate States and their iconography will forever be a black mark on this country's history.

Why would the marines wave the flag of traitorous racist scum to begin with?

Because we're so far removed from the Civil War that anyone in the US military who would have immediately stomped this shit out died probably about 100 years ago. Over the course of the 20th century (particularly post the Civil Rights movement in the 60s) there was a significant propaganda movement by many southern states to rewrite history and claim the Confederacy didn't go to war over keeping slaves, but instead over "the economy" and claimed it was a "war of Northern aggression".

As such, the Confederate flag became a source of pride for the descendants of Confederate soldiers. Which is likely how it ended up in many American military bases without any resistance. By the time that started happening, folks didn't really see what the harm was.

It was really only until this decade that we finally snapped back to reality and realized how fucked up it is that the Confederate flag has been treated as this innocent symbol of "Southern Pride" for literally half a century. When it should have been treated for what it always was and always will be = the flag of racist traitors to the United States.

Last edited:

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
they still had them?

one last good moment for Black History Month!
I've seen an elementary school in the Florida panhandle flying a confederate flag on the pole out front. It's part of the Mississippi state flag. A sizeable percentage of whites still identify with the confederates and ironically see them as "freedom fighters"

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
Looking at the electoral system and the political landscape of the U.S. one sadly might say South militarily might have lost the battle but culturally won the war.

Oct 31, 2017
The amount of cognitive dissonance required to fly the flag of what was literally an adversarial country that killed thousands of United States troops at military bases for United States troops is staggering.

Lincoln and the government's post-war softness on the former Confederate States and their iconography will forever be a black mark on this country's history.

Because we're so far removed from the Civil War that anyone in the US military who would have immediately stomped this shit out died probably about 100 years ago. Over the course of the 20th century (particularly post the Civil Rights movement in the 60s) there was a significant propaganda movement by many southern states to rewrite history and claim the Confederacy didn't go to war over keeping slaves, but instead over "the economy" and claimed it was a "war of Northern aggression".

As such, the Confederate flag became a source of pride for the descendants of Confederate soldiers. Which is likely how it ended up in many American military bases without any resistance. By the time that started happening, folks didn't really see what the harm was.

It was really only until this decade that we finally snapped back to reality and realized how fucked up it is that the Confederate flag has been treated as this innocent symbol of "Southern Pride" for literally half a century. When it should have been treated for what it always was and always will be = the flag of racist traitors to the United States.

Well said. I agree with all of your points. As someone who was born and raised in the state that seceded from the Confederacy to join the Union, seeing all of the Confederate Battle Flags flown all over the state was always depressing and disgusting. It's the flag of racist, ignorant, evil traitors to the United States and its ideals.

Anecdotally, I also happen to know a Marine that used to love flying said flag in the past. So hearing that Marine Corps bases were flying them is not too terribly surprising honestly, even if it's profoundly sad. I know the US military forces are made up of a diverse group of people, just like the country itself is. But I have to wonder what the true percentage of racist white supremacists make up the ranks.

Oct 31, 2017
why were they over there in the first place
Probably because there's probably a lot of white supremacists in the military who get off on the idea of slaughtering brown people. Just a guess though. Still, pretty fucking bad yeah. Especially since it's the flag of literal traitors to the United States. Definitely says a lot about the military for sure.