• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
"'Marina and the Diamonds?' It's cute," she says as she opens up about maturity, heartbreak and owning her femininity. "It's for your twenties, but I'm 35 now. You know?"

marina.jpg

Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land is the fifth studio album by Welsh singer-songwriter Marina, released on 11 June 2021

Ancient Dreams is Marina's fifth studio album, and it's full of these sorts of juxtapositions; she isn't afraid to deliver an uptempo pop beat and explore the world's dark, ugly truths at the same time. Among other themes on the record, she alludes to global warming, misogyny, heartbreak, and racism. She asks us to think about how we can better ourselves, and her lyrics hit you when you least expect it. "People tend to shy away from these kinds of issues in songs," Marina tells Vogue. "But pop music is such an amazing vehicle to discuss those issues, and it doesn't matter if people agree with you or not—it's a conversation starter. That's the most powerful thing about art.

On "New America," you really go in hard on America's dark history, with references to both stolen land and systemic racism. Was there a specific event that got you thinking about doing that song?

George Floyd's murder, definitely. I wrote some of the song the day after that happened, and then I realized that I shouldn't be writing this right now. I needed to understand, on a much deeper level, what was happening. [American history] is mine, but it's not mine: I'm not American, and I haven't lived my whole life here. The U.K. certainly doesn't have a clean track record, nor does Greece, and these are the places where I've grown up. But America has been this empire—it's like the world's superpower—and we all have looked to America for how to progress and evolve. I feel like there's been a feeling of relief after the past year, that we can at least be truthful about what the United States is and what the social problems are here—as opposed to just continuing as if they don't exist.

The music is pleasantly accessible, rather than daring, although you could imagine legendary producer Trevor Horn remixing Venus Fly Trap's elegant take on 80s synth funk. Lyrically, it's brimming with bristling ambition. Man's World's first two verses breezily link the Salem witch trials and 18th-century painter François Boucher with Marilyn Monroe and hypocritical, homophobic autocrats. Pandora's Box may be a collection of limp balladeer cliches, yet it follows the bruising New America, her savage rebuke of the failure of the States. Anti-misogyny manifesto pop could easily become clumsy and overwrought, but the joy Marina invests into her mannered, quasi-operatic delivery makes sedition sound seductive.

The first half of the album is intoxicating—it is danceable and full of fun energy. The second half of the album is all heartbreak and slow piano-filled ballads carried by Marina's whimsical and hollowing vocals. "Pandora's Box" and "Flowers" require repeated listens to really feel the intention of the lyrics, while also maintaining the flow of the record. The topics throughout are raw and unfiltered—something Marina does extremely well as an artist; always has and will likely continue to do so

With more positive songs fewer and further apart, the album is comprised mostly of slow, sad songs about faded relationships and songs with political commentary. Diamandis, a proud feminist, LGBTQ+ supporter, and climate change activist, ironically provides some wokeness on Ancient Dreams with "Man's World," where she explicitly details how the Sultan of Brunei purchased the Beverly Hills hotel, the "campest hotel in L.A.," only to have overseen the slaughtering of homosexuals in his own country.

"Purge the Poison" is is also heavy on feminist imagery, and very forthrightly regales audiences with facts about underrepresentation of women in government. The Welsh singer's final hot take is a bouncy little number called "New America," where she mentions that Americans have "blood on their hands 'cause they stole all the land," among other bluntly literal lyrics. In the case of another artist, these songs would seem ludicrous and pat. But Diamandis' style doesn't detract from the enjoyability.

The latest album from Marina Diamandis, her fifth, is a startling explosion of vim and attitude. It mingles speeding, wordy, indie-tinted dance-pop bangers, tilting at all manner of contemporary ills, with sudden moments of broken-hearted piano-led contemplation.

No love for Marina on Era?

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Used to have a big crush on her when Hollywood came out back in like 2010. Fond memories of that period of my life and the music that was being released. I had no idea she was still going.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Marina. Electra Heart was an incredible album. The last song of hers I listened to is really haunting...

I'll check out her new album for sure!

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I liked the debut and FROOT, didn't like the other albums. This sounds promising though.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think a lot of her fans gave up because her lyricism since love + fear (and let's be honest, parts of FROOT) is shockingly bad. it's incredibly unsubtle and lacks anything resembling a normal human emotion which made up so much of her earlier work. like:
I feel numb most of the time
Lower I get, the higher
I'll climb, and I will wonder why
I get dark only to shine
And I'll light up the sky
Stars that burn the brightest
Fall so fast and pass you by
Spark like empty lighters...
and then you get to
The pagodas and the palaces
Dressed in gold leaf, hide the damages
Spot the Geisha as she balances
Life's a cakewalk, full of challenges
Go to Russia, see the Red Square
Lenin's body lying dead there
From Kyoto, Hiroshima
Watch the black cloud crawling nearer

There were riots in America
Just when things were getting better
get it? cus in japan there are geishas?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I find an overwhelmingly large volume of her work starting with Froot to be lyrically clumsy in a way that is extremely off-putting. When she nails it, she nails it, but it's been a steady descent into cumbersome English where the prose stumbles all over itself, loses a sense of phonetical rhythm, and is littered with oddly dry phrasing that is devoid of organic emotional expression.

Every time she drops a new track my brain has forgotten the above and I get a little excited to hear it, and I'm again reminded of the above.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I went through her discography for the first time last year. Her debut was good, Electra Heart was fantastic, FROOT was pretty bland, and I thought Love + Fear was solid.

Listened to this one over the weekend and it's good. Lyrically she is still as subtle as a jackhammer so if that puts you off than nothing's changed here. I found it enjoyable though, certainly nowhere near her weakest stuff.

NinjaMuffin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean froot is lyrically good throughout.
But she's never been the most amazing lyricist.

But she's one of the most fun lyricists.
l+f was a step backwards and you could tell she lost her direction, but that's what felt right for her, I guess.

But you could tell she was writing with other people meanwhile froot and ancient dreams are all self written and clearly are top tier records and almost sisters
It's impossible to write about a range of political issues - as she did on ancient dreams - without coming across as slightly surface level.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
All in all it's a rather good album. 'Man's World' and 'Purge the Poison' are some good agitpop and the rest is solid enough.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have anything against her making what she wants but ever since she declared her mission to be more "mature" starting with FROOT I think she lost something. FROOT had some solid songs on there but I just remember really being into her first two albums. I don't know why she feels like being in her late 20's/30's means she can't make "youthful" music for lack of a better word

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
New album nice! I've only ever listened to this album and I loved it. I don't much about the artist nor care tbh. I will give the new one a listen for sure.

220px-Marina_-_Love_%2B_Fear.png

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Her albums always have a few ear worms and I'm in for the bass line on Venus Fly Trap alone. Flowers and I Love You But I Love Me More are also getting repeat plays even though I'm sure she's used these melodies more than once already. I'm getting Happy and I'm a Ruin vibes from them. As a fan of the Froot era, that's not a complaint.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Love this album a lot more than Love+Fear. Man's World, Purge the Poison and Venus Fly Trap are my favorites.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Only like 2-3 songs on this. First dud album from Marina. Aw well, they can't all be winners.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have anything against her making what she wants but ever since she declared her mission to be more "mature" starting with FROOT I think she lost something. FROOT had some solid songs on there but I just remember really being into her first two albums. I don't know why she feels like being in her late 20's/30's means she can't make "youthful" music for lack of a better word
She said she wasn't going to chase radio hits anymore after Electra Heart. She didn't like the pressure and compromises that came with that way of working. I guess when you only have a few (or just one) writer instead of 20 the songs narrow thier appeal.

For her song writing misgivings she's actually incredibly smart and articulate. It's hard to imagine any of the mainstream pop artists being able to talk about and dissect the medium the way she does.

Last edited:

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely LOVE Electra Heart and FROOT. They feel and sound like inspired albums. In fact, FROOT was my favorite album for some time.

I also love Marina. Got to see her live for her FROOT tour. She was great.

Since then, everything she has put out sounds like it's desperately trying to do something that is heavy and meaningful but reads like scribbles in a high-school student's notebook.

That was a very dismissive thing to say without context.

Her lyrics are so on-the-nose that they approach bad conversation status and her melodic approach has reached regularity. This album feels rote to me despite all the edgy production flurry. Iunno, but it feels artistically uninspired and overwrought production-wise. Nothing about it feels like an artist expressing a real thing*.

*To me.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I need to give it a listen. I love Marina and am a massive fan of her first two albums, and I find Froot to be decent-enough, but there were some elements of some songs on Froot that I didn't care for that have kind of continued on. After L+F I can't really find myself getting excited for this new one. But I'm open to putting it on and checking it out.