• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I'm not as vicious as him, but I will not allow goats to post false information about our Songbird Supreme

tumblr_ol6olfsnPm1tivim4o1_400.gif
Okay what is this from and link me

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand how it is even possible to try to attack something Mariah made in the 80's/90's lmao. Pure talent, untouchable back then.

Y'all don't remember back in the days when she wasn't really popular with the blacks because they though she wasn't that good of a singer / just another white girl (Because yeah, some critics stated that she was white) ? She had to go to the Apollo to make it clear

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Song is a classic and it deserves some respect. I'm so tired of childish people hating on pop music because it's an easy target.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Song is a classic and it deserves some respect. I'm so tired of childish people hating on poo music because it's an East target.

Not after the 100th I've heard it, no it doesn't.

Plenty of good artists make things that are so popular that they end up giving people a headache eventually. No one is exempt.

EDIT: Now I have fucking "Last Christmas" playing in my head as well.

Ban Christmas.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Just like George Michael's "Last Christmas" 26 years from now we still be listening to this song during Christmas season. It's a holiday classic.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Not after the 100th I've heard it in it doesn't.

Plenty of good artists make things that are so popular that they end up giving people a headache eventually. No one is exempt.
I mean, even if you're tired of it, the song still is a classic. You can hate and respect something.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not really. You could hate someone like Michael Jordan, but if you're a basketball fan you have to respect his skills/record.

I don't hate Mariah. Just this song. I never want to hear "I will always love you" by Whitney again but I can watch her sing the star spangled banner anytime.

I don't respect any Christmas music except religious Christmas music.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who gets really annoyed at any kind of holiday standards, this really isn't a bad song.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
On one hand, deserved. It's the biggest modern holiday song, and will likely continue to be a classic for generations to come.

On the other hand, it's Mariah Carey and she doesn't need any more reasons to be who she is.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I generally dislike Christmas music. When I need to go to the supermarkets at Christmas time, I use my little Sansa clip player to listen to my own music so I can avoid the mental anguish of Christmas music. But this song is one of the very few I actually like. I even get sick of Fairytale of New York sometimes but not this one.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least she has something to keep her relevant I guess. I mean it's a cute little bop, but, at least XXXtention isn't on top of the charts.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
It's pretty much the de-facto new age Christmas classic. I always find myself randomly singing it around the holiday season and it always gets me in the festive mood. She's struck gold until the next pop-star can do it better.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
To this day I still don't know what it sounds like. I think I've never heard the song
I don't see how this is possible. It is as inescapable during the Christmas season as something like Jingle Bells or Frosty the Snowman. Especially if you've ever set foot in a retail store during the holidays(not to mention worked retail during them).

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I was having a similar conversation during Christmas lunch with the family, we were trying to decide if there has been any bonafide modern holiday hit other than Mariah....we didn't reach any definitive consensus.

All we came up with was maybe this has potential to reach critical mass one day:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YfF10ow4YEo
(Spoiler)
Kelly Clarkson -Underneath the Tree

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot who I was listening to (NPR?), but a few weeks back they were talking about how they created a method to track when the Christmas season truly begins. The current method is to see how frequently this song gets played over the air and this year had one of the earliest starts. It's been the most consistent and popular Christmas songs for years now.

But reminding me it originally came out 24 years ago sure makes me feel old...

OP
OP
Brhoom

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I honestly didn't realize that it was known to be false. Last I heard was the original accusation. Do you have a link?

To make a long story short, Mariah fired her toxic manager, Stella. Stella got upset and started to threaten to sue her for sexual harassment, a claim Mariah denied and said she would fight her if this ever reaches court. Desperate that the story didn't tarnish Mariah's image as she would have hoped for, she started to threaten to expose her bipolar disorder, something Mariah kept hidden since she found out about it in 2001 after her nervous breakdown, that's why Mariah decided to reveal it to People magazine.

It was as you said it, a baseless accusation, fed into the media by a bitter manager to try and destroy a person's image. No lawsuit, no settlement, nothing happened after all news outlets decided to share the story.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
The people who are sick of the song should be grateful. I remember reading somewhere that if it were up to the guy she co-wrote it with, the song would be licensed to every movie and TV show that asked, but she wants to just let it re-emerge on its own during the Christmas season.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand how it is even possible to try to attack something Mariah made in the 80's/90's lmao. Pure talent, untouchable back then.

Y'all don't remember back in the days when she wasn't really popular with the blacks because they though she wasn't that good of a singer / just another white girl (Because yeah, some critics stated that she was white) ? She had to go to the Apollo to make it clear

Still my favorite end of song vocals of all time.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The song's catchy as hell, though like many I quickly grow tired of it after the first two weeks of December. Either way though, I'll give the song credit for at least being original and not a cover. Having a bona fide Christmas hit that isn't just another cover of the zillion public domain Christmas songs out there is basically the dream of every recording artist on the planet, and it's extremely difficult to do. It essentially guarantees that you'll be in the public consciousness for eternity and you'll have a guaranteed paycheck every year.

Most mainstream singers/musicians seem to make an attempt at creating an original Christmas song at least once in there careers, hoping it'll catch like wildfire, but they rarely ever do. So hey, kudos to her.