• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to give this one a solid pass, and I'm not some major QT fan. Some folks here are absolute sexual authoritarians, which will only harm attempts to target real predators and abusers.

In a world filled with hundreds of unpunished Cosbys, Weinsteins and Epsteins, I can't fathom how people can expend their outrage on something this minimal. Even Qualley herself clearly regards it as a subject of joking embarrassment rather than anything traumatic (because of course she does, it would seem absurd not to).

It's Me-Too, not Me-Toe.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I'll admit, this didn't immediately cross my mind as how my comment would be taken, but in no way am I trying to project some deep-seeded misogyny if that's what you're implying.

I'm just projecting my own discomfort of my own male physique should I have been asked to be topless. And yes, thinking about it, the difference between male full frontal on screen vs women scales dramatically so I see what you're saying. A man wouldn't be asked or could turn it down and keep the role.
I guess I was trying to be more cautionary about the "she seemed okay with it" observation but it sounded accusatory, my mistake.

It seems like you understand the underlying concept I was getting at.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I was trying to be more cautionary about the "she seemed okay with it" observation but it sounded accusatory, my mistake.

It seems like you understand the underlying concept I was getting at.
Absolutely.

I still want to give her agency in having a choice here, but Hollywood obviously has had this issue and it could all just be ingrained and "just how it works, so I'll go with the flow" which is pretty cynical but not too far off in many cases. Tough topic.

I now see why "just don't fucking include that in your films" is a better response lol.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd expect you all to make threads the next time a movie shows some prominent naked bodies but then we'd be swamped in threads. Those directors are surely "coloring" their works by their desires also.

That being said, Tarantino is a bit weird about how he goes about it. I'm not really a fan, but I'm also not a fan of content made purely for titillation. This scene, however, is not a big deal.
Abdellatif Kechiche got plenty of criticism and heat over Blue is The Warmest Colour and his new film. Tarantino could have abused his position of power much like many horny straight male directors have done over the decades.

www.resetera.com

Director Abdellatif Kechiche pressured actors to perform unsimulated sex, alcohol given, says witness

This is a follow-up to a discussion from another thread: More at https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/mektoub-my-love-intermezzo-unsimulated-sex-alcohol-report-abdellatif-kechiche-1202144998/

"Not everyone shares the way I look at others," the director said of the backlash. "Not everyone likes this or that kind of film for example so, no, it doesn't bother me in the least. If what I see is what I want to see and if that doesn't appeal to everyone, well, that is very fortunate, it would be a disaster if everyone watched a film in exactly the same way."

Kechiche added, "I've tried to show what really resonates within me to see bodies, tummies, the buttocks," Keciche said. "What I have tried to do is to describe things through movement. I may appear facile. But they are quite magical. I wanted to film the magic of the body. It's the metaphysical aspect of the body that I have portrayed."

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'm not outraged, I just find it lame to display your fetishes so publically like that.

What if he was into golden showers? Is he gonna have absolutely obvious and gratuitous piss shots in all his movies?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not outraged, I just find it lame to display your fetishes so publically like that.

What if he was into golden showers? Is he gonna have absolutely obvious and gratuitous piss shots in all his movies?
I would guess that most male directors are into long legs and cleavage shots. Those are put into movies without a second thought. What makes a foot any worse?

Oct 25, 2017
I get the urge to be an armchair psychiatrist, but you can't just make up imaginary mindstates to fit your narrative that he abused his power or she felt pressured.

Imagine coming up with this bizarre fantasy of what happened for the sake of trying to prove your point

The point was that just because the person is not naked doesn't reduce the potential power abuse behind it.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Where are people getting that Qualley was forced to show her feet? It's very sexist to assume a 24-year-old woman isn't allowed to be comfortable showing a part of her body on film.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Where are people getting that Qualley was forced to show her feet? It's very sexist to assume a 24-year-old woman isn't allowed to be comfortable showing a part of her body on film.
Well the interview in the OP makes it seem, that she was rather shy/embarassed about her feet and didn't feel confident showing them in the film. Of course it's possible she's being bit jokey about it too, or maybe it was a cry for help. I don't know, but people get it from the video.
Why are you using a shirtless scene with a male actor as an example? There's no problematic power dynamic.
I'd be interested to hear why there couldn't be problematic power dynamic with male actors? Of course I don't mean actors like Pitt and Di Caprio, they probably can say no to anything. But there's plenty of young up-and-coming male actors in the business too.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I would guess that most male directors are into long legs and cleavage shots. Those are put into movies without a second thought. What makes a foot any worse?

Many people have their own fetishes but I don't see directors like Lucas, Verhoeven, Spielberg, whoever inserting their fetishes into their films.

"Oh cool, Tarantino had a boner when he shot this scene". It's slightly distracting actually.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many people have their own fetishes but I don't see directors like Lucas, Verhoeven, Spielberg, whoever inserting their fetishes into their films.

"Oh cool, Tarantino had a boner when he shot this scene". It's slightly distracting actually.
Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Spielberg: She has pictures of him.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yes, that was the point. The notion that being clothed means it wasn't exploitative is also unfounded and, in general, untrue.
I never even made an argument based on whether she was clothed or not. I'm just saying she doesn't appear to have been coerced into doing this scene or nearly as uncomfortable with it as many people have convinced themselves she is, hence why I said it seems to be a number of people projecting their own discomfort and feelings about QT

Oct 25, 2017
I never even made an argument based on whether she was clothed or not. I'm just saying she doesn't appear to have been coerced into doing this scene or nearly as uncomfortable with it as many people have convinced themselves she is, hence why I said it seems to be a number of people projecting their own discomfort and feelings about QT

Their post was in reply to someone else's post.

Oct 28, 2017
Even Qualley herself clearly regards it as a subject of joking embarrassment rather than anything traumatic (because of course she does, it would seem absurd not to).

It's Me-Too, not Me-Toe.

I'm not a woman and I can easily understand why women pass off a lot of sexual harassment as just "embarassing situations". Its because they don't want to create a fuss, or feel pressured into acting like it wasn't harassment. It entirely is if some weirdo is gasping to see your feet in his movie.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a woman and I can easily understand why women pass off a lot of sexual harassment as just "embarassing situations". Its because they don't want to create a fuss, or feel pressured into acting like it wasn't harassment. It entirely is if some weirdo is gasping to see your feet in his movie.
I'm stunned at how comfortable some of you are at presuming that this lady felt victimized when she never says so.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This certainly wasn't, from what Qualley said. And scripts don't usually get that detailed, they're not novels - unless Frank Miller is writing it.

Or, y'know, Tarantino lol. He's mentioned he writes a novel for pretty much every film he makes and then edits them down to a script before filming. The reason Miller wouldn't have to edit down one of his comics is of course because having visuals make them shorter so they pretty much function as storyboards.

Last edited:

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
You don't consider a woman being uncomfortable fulfilled a sexual fetish for their boss is a red flag?

She was asked to place her feet on a dashboard for a scene in a movie. She said she thought her feet were too ugly to be on screen. Tarantino disagreed. She shares this story as a humorous aside as she promotes this film, and gives no indication that she was coerced into performing the scene, how much she protested it, or how much Tarantino insisted.

I legitimately consider your eagerness to paint this woman as a victim of sexual coercion when she herself is not doing so to be deeply concerning.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Spielberg: She has pictures of him.

Context? No idea what this is about. Anakin and Padme when they met as kids vs as adults?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
She was asked to place her feet on a dashboard for a scene in a movie. She said she thought her feet were too ugly to be on screen. Tarantino disagreed. She shares this story as a humorous aside as she promotes this film, and gives no indication that she was coerced into performing the scene, how much she protested it, or how much Tarantino insisted.

I legitimately consider your eagerness to paint this woman as a victim of sexual coercion when she herself is not doing so to be deeply concerning.
People wanna cancel Tarantino so bad that they're trying to make someone a victim when there's no proof that she had any actual issue with the scene.

Until she actually comes out and says she had a problem with it then this is just a funny self deprecating story she told on a talk show.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People wanna cancel Tarantino so bad that they're trying to make someone a victim when there's no proof that she had any actual issue with the scene.

Until she actually comes out and says she had a problem with it then this is just a funny self deprecating story she told on a talk show.
Whole lotta projecting in here

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely despicable behaviour subjecting us to so many foot shots. Feels like he picked this time period due to hippys aversion to wearing shoes

#cancelTarantino

movie was pretty damn entertaining tho. Prolly the best Tarantino since Kill Bill, even. Had a lot of shades of the slower character focus of his older movies like Jackie Brown. Also DiCaprio and Pitt were so good. Noms for both plz

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Yeah, I'm going to give this one a solid pass, and I'm not some major QT fan. Some folks here are absolute sexual authoritarians, which will only harm attempts to target real predators and abusers.

In a world filled with hundreds of unpunished Cosbys, Weinsteins and Epsteins, I can't fathom how people can expend their outrage on something this minimal. Even Qualley herself clearly regards it as a subject of joking embarrassment rather than anything traumatic (because of course she does, it would seem absurd not to).

It's Me-Too, not Me-Toe.

Except Tarantino has defended some of those predators, like when he defended Polanski in an interview, going as far as saying the young girl he raped (while drugged) "wanted it".

Listen to this interview and come back saying it's about being "sexual authoritarians". Tarantino is and has always been a creep that deserve every kind of heat he can get. I don't care if he makes decent movies for weirdos and nerds, fuck him.

He also admitted he knew everything regarding Weinstein despicable behavior and said/did nothing about it.

Just as a reminder, he also nearly killed Uma Thurman filming a scene of Kill Bill 2 she was reluctent to do. He put all his director-weight on her to make the scene happen and make her take great risks, while he could have used a professionnal stunt man/woman. Here's how it ended : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Nxo6PXOX4
Uma Thurman still has serious health problems from this accident. Her neck is permanently damaged and her knees are done.

The worst thing is, Uma Thurman pushed back Weistein's sexual assaults many times before filming this scene. She opened up about this during the Weinstein scandal. She fought for 15 years to get the scene rushs of the accident, because she wanted to show it to her medical team and be treated appropriately.

Or maybe him insisting to personally strangled Diane Kruger during Inglorious Bastards is also just about being "authoritarians". I mean, what the actual fuck is wrong with this guy ? Sure Diane Kruger said it was done with "utter respect" (according to her), but still, wtf.

Tarantino is not only a huge creep and an asshole, he's also a powercreep that use his power as a movie director to endanger people or satisfy is weird fetish. He likes to make women suffer and humiliate them during filming.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people like 'pressuring people into scenes they're uncomfortable with is baaaaad' when movies have actual uncomfortable sex scenes meant to titillate you? There is all kinds of discomfort involved with acting. Being a female lead in a Tarantino movie means there WILL be closeups of your ankles and everything beneath them. Its been a part of his schtick since the beginning.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Why are people like 'pressuring people into scenes they're uncomfortable with is baaaaad' when movies have actual uncomfortable sex scenes meant to titillate you? There is all kinds of discomfort involved with acting. Being a female lead in a Tarantino movie means there WILL be closeups of your ankles and everything beneath them. Its been a part of his schtick since the beginning.

There is a difference between being sexy and being kinky. Sex scenes happen because people having sex is a common part of the human experience that everyone can understand. Context matters.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Except Tarantino has defended some of those predators, like when he defended Polanski in an interview, going as far as saying the young girl he raped (while drugged) "wanted it".

Listen to this interview and come back saying it's about being "sexual authoritarians". Tarantino is and has always been a creep that deserve every kind of heat he can get. I don't care if he makes decent movies for weirdos and nerds, fuck him.

He also admitted he knew everything regarding Weinstein despicable behavior and said/did nothing about it.

Just as a reminder, he also nearly killed Uma Thurman filming a scene of Kill Bill 2 she was reluctent to do. He put all his director-weight on her to make the scene happen and make her take great risks, while he could have used a professionnal stunt man/woman. Here's how it ended : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Nxo6PXOX4
Uma Thurman still has serious health problems from this accident. Her neck is permanently damaged and her knees are done.

The worst thing is, Uma Thurman pushed back Weistein's sexual assaults many times before filming this scene. She opened up about this during the Weinstein scandal. She fought for 15 years to get the scene rushs of the accident, because she wanted to show it to her medical team and be treated appropriately.

Or maybe him insisting to personally strangled Diane Kruger during Inglorious Bastards is also just about being "authoritarians". I mean, what the actual fuck is wrong with this guy ? Sure Diane Kruger said it was done with "utter respect" (according to her), but still, wtf.

Tarantino is not only a huge creep and an asshole, he's also a powercreep that use his power as a movie director to endanger people or satisfy is weird fetish. He likes to make women suffer and humiliate them during filming.
Yeah he's an asshole and a creep.
But this particular case is just a misunderstanding by people who are terrible at comprehensive watching. listening and reading.
There is nothing creepy going on in this scene or in the making of this scene. Any intelligent person should be able to directly distill this from this video.
Doesn't mean he's not a creep and an asshole and doesn't mean he didn't do terrible things in the past.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Yeah he's an asshole and a creep.
But this particular case is just a misunderstanding by people who are terrible at comprehensive watching. listening and reading.
There is nothing creepy going on in this scene or in the making of this scene. Any intelligent person should be able to directly distill this from this video.
Doesn't mean he's not a creep and an asshole and doesn't mean he didn't do terrible things in the past.

I'm sorry but no. We're speaking about a worldwide known director, probably the most powerful of them, using his power to make a young actress who's at the beginning of her career, comply and satsify his personal sexual fetish.

Just swap feet for boobs and see what the case looks like. Feet are just as personal and sexual as boobs.