• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
HAHAHAHA

The first introduction to WWE in the Omega doc... a Winnipeg wrestling promoter:

"I felt we'd never see him again, as soon as he left, I thought he's so talented, that there's no way anybody could screw up having Kenny Omega on their roster"

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
HAHAHAHA

The first introduction to WWE in the Omega doc... a Winnipeg wrestling promoter:

"I felt we'd never see him again, as soon as he left, I thought he's so talented, that there's no way anybody cold screw up having Kenny Omega on their roster"

I hear there's nothing but WWE shade in this documentary. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but this bit is hilarious.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Neat they got clip footage of his 2006 Winnipeg match against AJ, the match that basically made him stick with wrestling and the only time they ever fought

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I hear there's nothing but WWE shade in this documentary. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but this bit is hilarious.

BWHAHAHAH

They have a clip from 2006 , of AJ cutting a promo, after Kenny beat him, and putting Kenny over for two things:

1. Beating Aj Styles
2. Quitting that crap promotion WWE...

And they have Kenny's DDT audition tape... yo this is a pretty deep dive for a 50 min doc

Kenny's hesitancy to put a label on his relationship with Kota is really fascinating... a lot of other people would get accusations of queer baiting but I don't think that's the case here at all... it's really fascinating

Last edited:

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
ix0giwyumwo21.jpg
D2vVk23VAAE4ovC.jpg

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I love the framing of the Omega doc using that Cultural Critic who was moved by the LGBT representation she saw in Kenny and Kota's story, when you just nonchalantly see her as a fan at All-In meeting Ibushi it's so cute.

https://medium.com/we-need-to-talk-...bout-the-golden-lovers-annotated-e9fc604e3a7f

She really is the perfect sort of framework for this doc

It's not for wrestling fans, it's for Canadians watching TSN, it's for casuals and people who have no idea what New Japan is.... It's like the more serious documentary version of Wrestlesplania.

And this woman was completely taken in by Kenny and Kota's story, she was a new wrestling fan at the time, and she found something that is directed to her (and me for that matter). Kenny says time and again that his goal with AEW isn't to just give current fans what they want, he's in it to bring wrestling to a whole new audience.

This doc is fucking fantastic. It completely looks at wrestling, how I more look at wrestling, as theatre. Callis literally calls it the same as ballet which is a fantastic play on how often macho bullshit is said about how this isn't ballet. Callis puts it poignantly (paraphrasing): It's not fake, it's ballet, Swan Lake ends the same way every time, how good it is depends on the quality of the performers

This Doc isn't for Bullet Club merch marks (Oh hi that's me too though)

It's for people who might want to come to wrestling from a different perspective. The framing around Omega/Ibushi is a beautiful decision.... it's truly an emotional and deeply affecting presentation, and i love the fans they interview, they don't interview your typical wrestling fan, they interview women, a lot of queer women, gay men, these are people who have unique connections to Kenny's story, to Kota' story, to the Golden Lover's Story. It really demonstrates that Kenny is already succeeding at some of his main goals for his career.

I'm so glad this exists and as a huge wrestling fan I found it great to see people talking about wrestling the way I talk about wrestling.

And this further solidifies my belief that Kenny is one of the most engaging, honest, intelligent and compelling interviews in wrestling. Like I know the whole Elite tag lien Change the World is kinda mocked a bit.... but legit Kenny is a guy trying to change the wrestling world, expand it, make it more welcoming, inclusive. I love this man so much.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the Omega doco now. Fucking amazing so far. Awesomely put together.

I just realized I watched a version with descriptive video service..... ha ha ha.... I was constantly like why this is narrator describing everything and every text bubble...

I thought it was just an interesting art choice.... nope ha ha ha

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I love the framing of the Omega doc using that Cultural Critic who was moved by the LGBT representation she saw in Kenny and Kota's story, when you just nonchalantly see her as a fan at All-In meeting Ibushi it's so cute.

https://medium.com/we-need-to-talk-...bout-the-golden-lovers-annotated-e9fc604e3a7f

She really is the perfect sort of framework for this doc

It's not for wrestling fans, it's for Canadians watching TSN, it's for casuals and people who have no idea what New Japan is.... It's like the more serious documentary version of Wrestlesplania.

And this woman was completely taken in by Kenny and Kota's story, she was a new wrestling fan at the time, and she found something that is directed to her (and me for that matter). Kenny says time and again that his goal with AEW isn't to just give current fans what they want, he's in it to bring wrestling to a whole new audience.

This doc is fucking fantastic. It completely looks at wrestling, how I more look at wrestling, as theatre. Callis literally calls it the same as ballet which is a fantastic play on how often macho bullshit is said about how this isn't ballet. Callis puts it poignantly (paraphrasing): It's not fake, it's ballet, Swan Lake ends the same way every time, how good it is depends on the quality of the performers

This Doc isn't for Bullet Club merch marks (Oh hi that's me too though)

It's for people who might want to come to wrestling from a different perspective. The framing around Omega/Ibushi is a beautiful decision.... it's truly an emotional and deeply affecting presentation, and i love the fans they interview, they don't interview your typical wrestling fan, they interview women, a lot of queer women, gay men, these are people who have unique connections to Kenny's story, to Kota' story, to the Golden Lover's Story. It really demonstrates that Kenny is already succeeding at some of his main goals for his career.

I'm so glad this exists and as a huge wrestling fan I found it great to see people talking about wrestling the way I talk about wrestling.

And this further solidifies my belief that Kenny is one of the most engaging, honest, intelligent and compelling interviews in wrestling. Like I know the whole Elite tag lien Change the World is kinda mocked a bit.... but legit Kenny is a guy trying to change the wrestling world, expand it, make it more welcoming, inclusive. I love this man so much.

Thanks for sharing the link. Fantastic written piece. Definately going to follow Rachels work in the future.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just realized I watched a version with descriptive video service..... ha ha ha.... I was constantly like why this is narrator describing everything and every text bubble...

I thought it was just an interesting art choice.... nope ha ha ha

haha, wow. I guess that is an interesting way to see it.

Just finished watching. Top notch documentary, really. Came across really well and was a super pleasing view.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the documentary but it really felt like it got 10-15 minutes cut out. It seemed like there was more focus on what the Golden Lovers story meant to fans as opposed to really telling Kenny/Kota's story in a bit more detail.

Not that it needed match by match stuff, but it ended up just being "They wrestled in DDT, then teamed up, broke up, then got back together and Kenny won the IWGP, the end!"

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the documentary but it really felt like it got 10-15 minutes cut out. It seemed like there was more focus on what the Golden Lovers story meant to fans as opposed to really telling Kenny/Kota's story in a bit more detail.

Not that it needed match by match stuff, but it ended up just being "They wrestled in DDT, then teamed up, broke up, then got back together and Kenny won the IWGP, the end!"

I thought there was going to be more about how Kenny is famous overseas but back home gets to have a normal life because to everyone there he's just another local. We get a few sentences about it but only in the intro and at the end.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
BWHAHAHAH

They have a clip from 2006 , of AJ cutting a promo, after Kenny beat him, and putting Kenny over for two things:

1. Beating Aj Styles
2. Quitting that crap promotion WWE...

And they have Kenny's DDT audition tape... yo this is a pretty deep dive for a 50 min doc

Kenny's hesitancy to put a label on his relationship with Kota is really fascinating... a lot of other people would get accusations of queer baiting but I don't think that's the case here at all... it's really fascinating

I've thought about it being queer baiting, but then I'm like...how would that even work? if it were WWE that'd be one thing, because it'd end somewhere gross. But it's not, so like...I dunno.

Maybe Kota don't wanna put a ring on it yet, lol.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I didn't really think they would do that for a number of reasons but primarily because the documentary was pretty focused in what it was trying to do. If it was a documentary for people who are hardcore wrestling fans who got into NJPW and DDT over the last few years then sure, but as a mainstream fairly major doco, I think they did everything pretty well perfectly. As much as I would love to see them flesh the story out too!

Imagine if this got normal people watching TSN to check out DDT heh. "That Ibushi guy sure seems great, I wonder what this "Apartment Wrestling" special is all about!"

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
REGLlqg.gif

The king has arrived in fire pro wrestling....Full scale GCW invasion is coming to new Japan. Eastern Block gang affliated. The real ace is here, pussies.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In 2013 I saw over 300 bands live.

Last year I didnt go to a single concert. But a few weeks ago I got to see The Jesus and Mary Chain at the Opera House. It was pretty spectacular.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Really?! I was going to check it out today. I'm doing Coachella this year and I know she is playing. Had no idea she was 17. Crazy.
Thank you for making me not the only one, friend <3
of anything I'm glad that this means I'm not quite a Principal Skinner old person yet
This was my introduction to Billie. Love her voice.

Charli and Millie at EVE wormed bury a friend into my brain

This is also v good, thanks

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Prazak STARDOM has done the unthinkable and booked the worst Hazuki match possible but there's still time for you to book Hiroyo and DASH vs. Blue Nation

too big of a coward to book Miyu in NYC, aren't you Prazak

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
thecubsfan will be a streaming tonight's CMLL Super Viernes, and it's a pretty big one:

Of note, Naito is in the main event, teaming with Rush and Terrible vs. Caristico, Volador, and Valiente in what should be a pretty big match. The semi-main is also pretty big, as Cavernario makes his first defense of the National Light Heavyweight title against NGD member Forastero, I believe this is his first-ever singles title opportunity. Plus Mistico, D Lee, and Titan vs. Sanson, Cuatrero, and Negro Casas should be great.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks so SHIMMER Weekend is coming in hot so here's something kind of like a preview:

berwynpst2K.jpg

CURRENT CHAMPIONS

SHIMMER Champion: Nicole Savoy

I like Nicole a lot, she's gone from being a goofball sidekick of Mercedes to a stoic badass glammed up like Rachel from Blade Runner. Her reign hasn't been particularly exciting though I think that's more on SHIMMER at this point

SHIMMER Tag Champions: Mercedes Martinez and Cheerleader Melissa:

Mercedes is still very good, Melissa has her moments too. I think it's incredibly dumb that these two are champions though. Melissa normally doesn't talk much in matches but as a heel she was like screaming constantly to the point where it was irritating as hell. Hope that's toned down. Put the titles on Blue Nation, idiots

HEART of SHIMMER Champion: Dust

Dust is someone who SHIMMER and RISE proudly tout that she went to seminars and became a part of the roster. I can't really see any other reason that she's in the spot she's in because she has no personality, no defining character, her look is "wears a beanie". She's been propped up by an injured Rosemary and I don't understand it at all. If anyone is tuning in for the first time this weekend maybe you can explain it to me

------------------------------------------------------

ONES TO WATCH

Team Sea Stars: an incredibly FnP tag that debuted at the last weekend, high hopes for them

Penelope Ford: She's making her debut in SHIMMER. I'd expect them to put her in a multiwoman match first since she can do the "spots" thing

Kiera Hogan: Despite being an IMPACT regular it doesn't seem like people really know her. She has a look, fun character work, and a ridiculous banger theme so there's a lot to like

"Impressive" Indi Hartwell: While not as refined as some of her peers in-ring, she's still young but has a great look and is probably the funniest Aussie SHIMMER regularly books. She's been paired with Tessa on recent tapings which I think does a bit of a disservice to her because the crowds just want to cheer for Tessa (great team aesthetic though)

Blue Nation: The gals, the absolute units. The best part of SHIMMER. Imagine not putting your belts on Charli Evans and Jessica Troy

Rosemary: Returning from injury. Please disown the jobbers

Allysin Kay: First SHIMMER weekend in a long while, I've never actually seen her wrestle but at a time when SHIMMER is constantly bleeding stars taping to taping her return is very much welcome

HEY THERE'S JOSHI THIS TIME

Apparently, because we're one day away from the show and the women have never officially been announced online. It's DASH Chisako, Hiroyo Matsumoto, and Cherry though (not familiar with Cherry but the other two are super rad)

ANNOUNCED MATCHES

SHIMMER_MAR2019_SavoyVsBaker.jpg

Solid main event match, figured Britt would be shot into prominence from the AEW thing. I'm expecting that to continue throughout the weekend. Don't think they'd actually put the title on her though

SHIMMER_MAR2019_TagTeam_Championship.jpg

This will probably be good. The olds will win via cheating and will probably get challenged by a bad team like The Killer Death Machines but hey maybe I'll be surprised

SHIMMER_MAR2019_DustVsBates.jpg

Folks you may think this is hyperbole, and that's fine, but this is a strong contender for the worst match of the weekend. Charisma vacuum vs. cosplay. Putting it on a flyer is WILD

SHIMMER_MAR2019_HeightsVsRosemary.jpg

I like Samatha Heights and I think she'll be a nice foil to Rosemary. In an ideal world you have Rosemary turn her to the dark side and get rid of the job squad because jesus fucking christ literally anyone else

HOPES AND DREAMS / / STUFF I THINK WOULD BE DOPE

Penelope Ford vs. Kris Wolf
Blue Nation vs. DASH and Hiroyo
Kiera Hogan vs. Kris Wolf
Penelope Ford vs. DASH

Session Moth Martina is there for the weekend but it sounds like she's just doing preshow stuff which is odd......considering she's a relatively big name but whatever

Honestly the talent pool is far more promising than the last few so I'm hoping the shows are more consistently entertaining vs. sprinkling a few good names over 6 hour days of ehhhhhhh

Wish Madison Eagles was here :(

Status
Not open for further replies.