• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
https://deadline.com/2022/07/lilo-stich-disney-marcel-and-the-shell-director-1235064201/

lilo-and-stitch.jpg

Following the critical success of his movie Marcel The Shell With Shoes On, Dean Fleischer-Camp has found his next project as he has been tapped to direct the live-action adaptation of the classic animated pic Lilo & Stitch for Disney. Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback are producing. Rideback's Ryan Halprin is executive producing. Unknown at this time whether the film will be theatrical or on Disney Plus. Chris Kekaniokalani Bright is in negotiations to write the script.
stitch-facepalm.gif

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Ohana means 'Disney classic', and no Disney classic gets left behind, or forgotten, by the live-action remake machine!

(Except you, Fantasia. Get to the back of the line.)"

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I wouldn't mind the live action remakes if they brought anything new. But it's all just been the same story.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind the live action remakes if they brought anything new. But it's all just been the same story.

Lilo and Stitch was already a lot more raw and real than 95% of Disney's cartoon films so I actually feel like a live action is going to dial it back and make it a saccharine mess. Like unless they handle this really well I feel like animated Lilo is going to feel like more of a little kid than an actual little kid actor.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marcel the Shell With Shoes On beautifully melds animated characters with real people in the real world, so seems like a very smart pick for director.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Lilo and Stitch was already a lot more raw and real than 95% of Disney's cartoon films so I actually feel like a live action is going to dial it back and make it a saccharine mess. Like unless they handle this really well I feel like animated Lilo is going to feel like more of a little kid than an actual little kid actor.

A L&S retrospective / interview with Chris Sanders (director/screenwriter) and Dean DeBlois (screenwriter) done last September feels of rather poignant note:

In the late 1990s, Walt Disney Animation saw a number of increasingly expensive projects stumble with increasingly diminished returns. So after the six-year-long production of Mulan, animator Chris Sanders pushed for the studio to diversify the scope of the movies.

"Each film we produced was more complex and more expensive than the film before it," Sanders tells Polygon. "One of the things I began to advocate was a return to a smaller film. That's what Lilo & Stitch was. We would pay for our story freedom by controlling our budget."

---

As for the upcoming live-action remake in the works, both Sanders and DeBlois understand why it's happening, considering how popular the movie still is, but they're a little skeptical on how it's going to be done.

"Lion King was an interesting thing, because they didn't try to reinvent it. Almost a shot-for-shot remake. We worked so hard in that film. The film was perfect. I think it was exactly the film that it was supposed to be," says Sanders. "So in some ways, you are happy that they did this shot-for-shot remake because it wasn't the wrong film. On the other hand, when it's a shot for shot remake ... It's weird. It's weird when you see it celebrated when it was all worked out ahead of time."

(I'd post more quotes, but really, I recommend anyone intrigued by this to read the entire article. It's a great writeup on the film's development.)

Maybe lightning can strike twice and Fleischer-Camp's version of L&S can also subvert the Disney machine, but it remains to be seen if he even stays on this project. Recall that Paul King, director of both of the live-action Paddington movies, was called to direct Disney's Pinocchio remake at one point...before he dropped out due to family reasons (and was later replaced by Robert Zemekis).

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
A L&S retrospective / interview with Chris Sanders (director/screenwriter) and Dean DeBlois (screenwriter) done last September feels of rather poignant note:

(I'd post more quotes, but really, I recommend anyone intrigued by this to read the entire article. It's a great writeup on the film's development.)

Maybe lightning can strike twice and Fleischer's version of L&S can also subvert the Disney machine, but it remains to be seen if he even stays on this project. Recall that Paul King, director of both of the live-action Paddington movies, was called to direct Disney's Pinocchio remake at one point...before he dropped out due to family reasons (and was later replaced by Robert Zemekis).

Oh I'm well aware of the history of the film since it's one of my favorites. There are so many little elements that make it feel grounded and nuanced which I can see getting bulldozed in a live action remake. Even something like Nani and David's relationship was a really interesting take that I can see the live action version just making into a regular love story.

Dec 30, 2020
I want Disney to start doing animated versions of their live-action movies.

The Parent Trap, ANIMATED! That Darn Cat, ANIMATED! Flubber, ANIMATED! Holes, ANIMATED! Pirates of the Caribbean, ANIMATED! TRON. ANIMATED. BRIDGE TO TEREBITHIA. ANIMATED.

That one weird-ass movie they released where kids proved their courage by painting lines on their back and laying face-down in the middle of a freeway. ANIMATED.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Animated adaptations of Disney's live-action films and theme parks would be interesting. Especially new adaptations of the theme parks that aim for a decidedly different direction than their live-action cousins (PotC being the obvious candidate).

The problem though IMO is who would Disney call to handle such projects in the first place. Their main feature animation departments (WDAS, Pixar) are focused on developing their own original concepts (or their own spins of classic stories), and the rest (WDAS Vancouver, Marvel Animation, Lucasfilm Animation, Fox Animation) are satellite divisions to bigger departments/IPs; with a strict focus for television(/streaming). (BBM aside for Fox Animation; but that was in development before Disney acquired Fox, and I'm sure it'll be their last theatrical film following its box office performance.) And Disney's all but certainly going to have such properties developed in-house / under their supervision, they're not going to pass development duties to any outside parties.

I still maintain that Blue Sky would had been a perfect candidate as an "alternative" feature animation studio, that could had been capitalized for such projects. But Disney management were having absolutely none of that, especially so under Chapek I imagine.

Last edited:

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck all the way off, Disney.

That said, emperors new groove with john goodman.

Also Atlantis, but with the budget of Pirates.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of Marcel. Interested to see how this works out. It's going to make money, but I also hope it's good. Blending animation and live action would really work if done right.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like, even if it's good, such a big part of the film is the art design that they literally could not replicate in live action unless they went super creative with it.

It's possible to remake these things and have them actually be good, but other than the Lion King musical and Cinderella I'm not sure any have justified their existence to me outside of a quest for cash. The best way to adapt it would be to lean into the human drama far more, which tends not to be the direction they take.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Disney Exec - "Hey, people love this stupid baby Yoda thing. What do we have in our back catalog that we can crank out and make more cute plushies of?"

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Did you miss Aladdin?
The story twists were well modernized. Jasmine was a much more compelling character. For me the template of the live action remakes
Lol yeah Jasmine was made so much better by singing "I WONT BE SIIIIILEEEEENCED" and then immediately being silenced.

Of all the things in the original, Jasmine was not in need of "fixing". The remake fucking sucked and had the charisma of a can of tuna.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I don't see how they will be able to do some of it in live action, namely disguising stitch as a dog and the aliens as people, but I'm down for it especially with that director

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I feel like, even if it's good, such a big part of the film is the art design that they literally could not replicate in live action unless they went super creative with it.

It's possible to remake these things and have them actually be good, but other than the Lion King musical and Cinderella I'm not sure any have justified their existence to me outside of a quest for cash. The best way to adapt it would be to lean into the human drama far more, which tends not to be the direction they take.
The Dumbo remake did. I'd argue to its detriment, but it certainly wasn't a simple copy-paste. Disney's kind of condemned whether they hew to the original films or not. They only bother because most of these redos make money. I thought the 2016 Jungle Book was fine and mostly threaded the line between faithful and divergent.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Why do live action of classics

They only made them animated because they didnt have the technology to do them in real life yet. This way people have to use less of their imagination to understand what they are looking at.

I'm happy Disney is saving us from having to overwork our brains and burn them out. Imagination is a waste of a mind, we live in the REAL WORLD and animation is for CHILDREN which I am absolutely NOT.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who LOVES Lilo & Stitch and thinks Stich is adorable…

I truly cannot see Stitch being anything other than horrifying as a 3D creature interacting with humans.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they will be able to do some of it in live action, namely disguising stitch as a dog and the aliens as people, but I'm down for it especially with that director
To be fair I'm pretty sure the entire gag is that Stitch looks nothing like a dog and Jamba & Pleakly's disguises are completely worthless but nobody notices (well Nani does but that just adds to it since she's the only one)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Dumbo remake did. I'd argue to its detriment, but it certainly wasn't a simple copy-paste. Disney's kind of condemned whether they hew to the original films or not. They only bother because most of these redos make money. I thought the 2016 Jungle Book was fine and mostly threaded the line between faithful and divergent.

I thought Jungle Book was fine, but also felt the best parts were the songs from the original film. I guess its most important contribution is the path it made for Mandalorian.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Lol yeah Jasmine was made so much better by singing "I WONT BE SIIIIILEEEEENCED" and then immediately being silenced.

Of all the things in the original, Jasmine was not in need of "fixing". The remake fucking sucked and had the charisma of a can of tuna.

Disagree. She went from sex symbol to sultan. Much more appropriate.

Just disagree 🤷‍♀️
Loved the visually, music, charm of the movie

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I notice most of the division regarding the "normal" remakes comes from the ones based on Renaissance-onward films. Seeing reactions to Disney's attempts to be hip and culturally sensitive circa 1992 versus attempts to be hip and culturally sensitive circa now is interesting if nothing else. I anticipate and dread the Little Mermaid remake in equal measures.

Last edited:

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've never heard of Marcel The Shell With Shoes until now but now I'm intrigued. Couldn't care less about the Lilo and Stich live action movie though