• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Jg0x2j8JxS-M_96lyA9kre8D1LjCRe6G2FpQLUIxSik.jpg

So Simple yet so brilliant and addicting. Spent a ridiculous amount of hours on this game. Even the multiplayer was a blast! And how could you not love that track that will be stuck in your head for all eternity?

What are your memories of this game and what games like it would you recommend today?

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
It truly was a great game. We need another one. I know there is one on the Switch so here is hope.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I found it funny that because it was on an early version of the SDK that didn't yet have countermeasures for this, people could modify controllers by filing away around the analogue stick enclosure and it would allow you to move faster by moving the stick further than intended.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Speevy playing Marble madness on the OG Xbox with 56k, I think he was gifted the Xbox by ace attorney. Memories of old school Team Xbox website. I still have TFX avatar he made for me.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On a platform with all time classics like Spelunky and Fez Marble Blast doesn't even come close to being the best XBLA game

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to Marble Madness type games, I remember a version of this on the Xbox Live Arcade that launched on the original XBOX, as well as another game called Hamsterball. Never played this one, though.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That was a fun game. Not an original idea of course. Arcade Marble Madness says hello, also who remembers the classic Spindizzy on C64? There's also Super Monkey Ball on GameCube.

Btw, thanks for the tips on Marble It Up on Steam. Added to wishlist.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Never 100%'d it, but it was fucking awesome, and I actually really loved the online for it. Watching a speedrun of it at Game Done Quick earlier this year was fucking radical.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I used to play this/Hexic HD on my 360 to wind down from Halo 3 every single night... what amazing built-in games, played each of them for god knows how many hours

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I used to play this/Hexic HD on my 360 to wind down from Halo 3 every single night... what amazing built-in games, played each of them for god knows how many hours
I remember back in 2006 this was my game and Dead Rising and COD 2. Good times the multiplayer was.

On a platform with all time classics like Spelunky and Fez Marble Blast doesn't even come close to being the best XBLA game
Honestly I still prefer Ultra over those 2 games any day, but of course opinions and all. :)

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hi everyone, as other people have said a bunch of the people that made MBU are currently working on Marble It Up updates. And yes we're porting that to PS4 and Xbox One when we're able, still have a lot of stuff to get out the door first though.

Next update after we get our current update out the door will include MP.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hi everyone, as other people have said a bunch of the people that made MBU are currently working on Marble It Up updates. And yes we're porting that to PS4 and Xbox One when we're able, still have a lot of stuff to get out the door first though.

Did you guys add the level editor in the PC version yet? I haven't been following the game since launch, but I'm planning on buying your game soon. :D

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Did you guys add the level editor in the PC version yet? I haven't been following the game since launch, but I'm planning on buying your game soon. :D

We put out an add-on for the Unity editor on PC that lets you make MIU levels. Looking at the Steam workshop there's a bit over 200 custom levels at the moment.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I loved Marble Blast. It was definitely my favourite XBLA title, and iirc the first game I ever played on Xbox 360.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This shit ruled, I had no idea they sold 750k copies of the game and then went bankrupt

Marble It Up rules too

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This shit ruled, I had no idea they sold 750k copies of the game and then went bankrupt

Marble It Up rules too

There's a long story behind it, the company didn't go bankrupt, it got bought out by IAC for a platform called Instant Action and MBO (the PC port of MBU) got put on there. IA eventually folded though because they took it in some weird directions, and IAC kept the IP when the rest of the guys left, which is why it got delisted.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I remember these times. Wasn't this when Microsoft struggled to get even 1 game released weekly on Live Arcade? I remember always being excited each week to see what game got released. It's crazy to see how far we've come, where we now just get crazy, crazy amounts of digital games released weekly across all platforms.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This was a fun one. Honestly I feel like XBLA really opened the door for indie games hitting the mainstream in a real way. I remember even on release MBU felt hammy but it was a fun one. Super Monkey Ball it ain't tho.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
I played SO much marble blast ulta. Certian albums I had saved on my 360 HDD remind me of that game. The multiplayer was awesome. Is there anything out there similar atm?

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I played SO much marble blast ulta. Certian albums I had saved on my 360 HDD remind me of that game. The multiplayer was awesome. Is there anything out there similar atm?
The same people that made Marble Blast Ultra just released a new game called Marble it Up! Out now on PC and Switch and coming to PS4 and Xbox One too. :)

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I remember waiting for my friend to come over so I bought this. As I'm playing he sits down and is all "You seriously bought a fucking game about marbles?". We ended up playing it the whole night.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Since you're posting here, are you still planning to put out map packs witch community maps for the switch version? I've been drooling at some of the player content you've been including in the weekend updates

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Since you're posting here, are you still planning to put out map packs witch community maps for the switch version? I've been drooling at some of the player content you've been including in the weekend updates

Yep! Most of our plans are still the same, we just underestimated how much trouble we were going to have putting out content so our timelines have been pushed back a bit. Challenge Update should be out soon though, we're almost done with it. Then we'll be working on multiplayer, I'm not sure if the custom level packs will be out before or after MP though, can't give definitives on that just yet.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Yep! Most of our plans are still the same, we just underestimated how much trouble we were going to have putting out content so our timelines have been pushed back a bit. Challenge Update should be out soon though, we're almost done with it. Then we'll be working on multiplayer, I'm not sure if the custom level packs will be out before or after MP though, can't give definitives on that just yet.

Great to hear :) Keep up the good work, it's been a blast!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dreams has some nice marble blast/madness and monkeyball style games from people now that scratch this itch for me. Some high quality stuff already in that genre and already making my purchase worth $30

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
There is something about marble/ball-based 3d platformers and puzzle games (seriously, there are a LOT out there) which feels comforting to me and I tend to enjoy them all. They are unapologetically videogamey, which has become rare.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
My brother decided against getting a 360 at launch at the last minute but a little while down the road saw me playing this. He went out that day and picked one up. It was a great game.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the trial of this way back and regret not actually buying it now.

Has anyone given a name to the kind of aesthetic/art style this kind of game has? That sort of early 2000's clean cut budget style. It kind of reminds me of the old Bejeweled 2 with those fantasy backdrops and chill soundtrack.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I still play it from time to time on 360. Really regret not getting the expansion pack, cause of course now no one can. (Redownloading the game itself was a major pain as well, since I had to go through a list of all the stuff I bought for 360 way back when, and MBU was one of the very first.) That game and Geometry Wars was my jam way back when.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I played the shit out of the demo.... yet I never bought it. I was weird
I remember playing the trial of this way back and regret not actually buying it now.

Has anyone given a name to the kind of aesthetic/art style this kind of game has? That sort of early 2000's clean cut budget style. It kind of reminds me of the old Bejeweled 2 with those fantasy backdrops and chill soundtrack.
If you guys ever want to play the full game you can play it on PC now for free. :)
http://old.marblevortex.com/

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Marble Blast Ultra was great, it's one of the only games I had Xbox Live Gold for so I could play it online. Immensely enjoyed everything about it, and even despite it only having one song, I really liked that track.
I cannot wait for Marble It Up! to hit PS4. It'll apparently be around the same time as the multiplayer update too, so it looks like I'll be getting PS Plus for the first time.