• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PC) (71)
Metacritic (PS4) (??)
Metacritic (PS5) (70)
OpenCritic (72)

Mashable (no score):
I can't say I enjoyed my time with Maquette. It's not a perfect game by any stretch. But I do appreciate what it's trying to do here and I'm glad I was able to see its story through.

Goomba Stomp (no score):
Despite being a bit rough around the edges, Maquette is profoundly worthwhile and a true gestalt experience. The gameplay is generally simple and the sparse story alone is not compelling, but, together, they harmonize and transcend their individual parts. Maquette reminds us that great art flows fluidly as a singular experience, channeling truth about our existence. Life is fleeting and full of transient wonders that remind us how special we are, each of us in our own miniature universe. Maquette is such a wonder.

PlayStation Universe (9/10):
Maquette is just fascinating. It is a game that has one central mechanic and ties it into a narrative not often told by games and media. That unique blend of challenging, but mind-boggling recursive gameplay, jaw-dropping set-pieces, and heartfelt narrative moments really crafts an experience that mesmerises and stuns at every turn and is another great title from Annapurna.

Screen Rant (4/5):
Maquette is an important piece of art because it tells a familiar story that many people have been a part of. It's deeper than just Kenzie and Michael's own personal experiences - it details the importance of communication in relationships and that it's okay to let go of the relationships players no longer have. Every inch of the world Maquette is set in tells a story and properly visualizes the emotions that its characters are feeling.

That being said, Maquette is a puzzle game with a lot of silent walking, self-reflection, and a deep storyline. There's no action and its platforming doesn't compare to the mobility of Super Mario or other engaging platformers. Maquette isn't a game for everyone, but it could be an essential game for many. Maquette chooses to be uncompromising in its vision and message, and it challenges players both mentally and emotionally as a result, with a suitable payoff waiting for those willing to sink in the hours to get there.

WellPlayed (8/10):
A unique, thoughtful narrative puzzler with a mind-bending recursive twist that succeeds by focusing more on evoking its themes than unpacking them. Some minor lapses in polish aside it's a short, sharp hit of emotion and wonder that should be on every indie puzzler fan's list.

MonsterVine (4/5):
A game about coming to terms with the end of a relationship, Maquette is something some people might genuinely need to play right now in order to get closure in their own lives. It's touching, and the puzzle side keeps you engaged while your heartstrings are being tugged.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
Maquette is a great puzzle game that uses perspective and out of the box thinking very well. The story of Michael and Kenzie is neatly entwined within these puzzle, adding heart and soul to the game as you make your way through the world, big and small.

Hobby Consolas (78/100, review in Spanish):
Maquette it's an interesting proposal, both in terms of gameplay (recursive worlds), and the way it tells the tale of a relationship. It's not perfect (frame rate issues, some puzzle design maybe are too complex and abstract...), but the precious message and the mark it will leave are, simply, magnificent.

Game Informer (7.75/10):
When Maquette is firing on all cylinders, it is a beautiful journey through a series of ever-larger environments, and Maquette's love story is poignant and a little heartbreaking. Sadly, my interactions with the puzzles were also full of heartbreak. While Maquette has some missteps, I look back fondly on my time with it. Much like a real-life romance, my affection for this game is complicated.

PC Invasion (7.5/10):
Maquette has a strong narrative bolstered by top-tier voice performances and honest, relatable writing. The puzzle mechanics are unique and exciting, but the game is let down by signposting issues and obtuse design choices.

Easy Allies (7/10, video):
Maquette never quite delivers that sense of mind-boggling euphoria you might expect. Finicky mechanics sometimes get in the way, and it would help if there were more rewards for experimentation. That said, it's still a fascinating premise that's fleshed out in ways that keep pushing you to think outside the box. Paired with a love story that feels personal and authentic, it's both intellectually and emotionally worth exploring.

IGN (7/10, video):
Maquette is an incredibly clever and absolutely gorgeous first-person puzzle game, even if it doesn't really push the boundaries of its own recursive concept in any particularly surprising ways. That left me feeling like its straightforward story and puzzles were a missed opportunity to do something more, but playing through Maquette's brief adventure was at least a lovely, mind-tickling evening well spent.

GameSpew (7/10):
Definitely give Maquette a try if you like puzzle games, but be aware that you're likely to come up against numerous brick walls as you vie to reach its conclusion. The earlier puzzles are truly satisfying to crack but they quickly lose their charm, while later conundrums might leave you scratching your head in frustration. What doesn't lose its charm, though, is the small yet beautiful narrative that you'll want to savour every moment of. It's just a shame there isn't more of it.

Inverse (7/10):
The visuals, music, and unique puzzles all come together to illustrate the miniature worlds we build for ourselves over the course of a relationship. Maquette is a peek inside of one of those personal spaces that may look unremarkable from the outside, but is a wondrous world to the people at the center of it.

GameSkinny (7/10):
Maquette is a realistic, empathetic portrayal of two people falling in love and what comes next. If it was only that, it would make a great audio drama, or with some tweaking, a touching movie or book. But it's a game, and despite the awe-inspiring first impression it delivers, the cagey puzzle logic can leave you more hopeless than the central pair's prospects for longevity.

Maquette is a game I loved to look at and listen to, and it's a game I'll remember fondly for its subversion of romantic fiction tropes, but it wasn't usually a game I liked actually playing.

EGM (3/5):
Maquette's core concept of puzzle solving in recursive environments is undeniably neat. But despite the handful of wow moments it enables, developer Graceful Decay ends up squandering much of the idea's potential due to pacing issues and rough edges.

Paste Magazine (6/10):
For Maquette to really work, it needs to make us care about its characters. It needs to make us feel their connection, to fall in love with how they fell in love, and then to feel the growing alienation and the pain of their collapse. Unfortunately it doesn't do that. The story that should compel us to keep playing instead becomes an annoying digression from what the game does well. These environments, those puzzles, and the size-changing gimmick that lets you solve them comprise a unique and fascinating vision that depends on the kind of esoteric thinking familiar from classic point-and-click adventure games. Instead of pulling us in deeper, though, Michael and Kenzie's romance pushes us away. That's the real tragedy of Maquette.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A solid ps+ Game. Would never buy probably but I will play it now. Ps5 library is becoming big. Well. Much bigger than my 667gb of storage for sure.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Lookin forward to trying this out. Seems like it could be either great or boring depending on who you are.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Really bummed it's PS Plus only for PS5. I have to either wait until I buy a PS5 (not soon) or buying it despite "having it". PC is out of the equation for me.

Oh well. Nice reviews at least!

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looking good. This is the perfect ps plus game, something interesting enough but that I wouldn't buy at launch. I hope they keep up with these launchs on ps plus for indie games, it's been terrific so far

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Nice these are solid scores and really glad this is a + game this month, looking forward to playing it.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Interesting, haven't played a puzzle game in a while, will give it a shot.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also so glad this is on Plus so I'm not dependend on the as always mysterious decicion making from Annapurna if you're eventually deemed worthy to be granteed a review opportunity or not.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is the kind of game where I can safely say I can ignore the reviews as I know I'll love it regardless.

The Turing Test, QUBE 2, The Sojourn, Manifold Garden and Superliminal - none of them got raving reviews but they were some of my favourite games of the last generation.

I just can't get enough of first person atmospheric puzzle games. It all started with Portal and then Talos. And I'm hooked to the genre.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pure puzzle games of significant presentation value are rare these days, so I'm thrilled. Let's go!

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Fully intend to add it to my library and then play it when they smooth out the rough edges.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Love what Annapurna chooses to publish + PS+ game means this is a definite play from me (probably would have bought on PC otherwise).

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game or did the press kit use the word recursive coz every writer is using it In their reviews

It's listed in the description on the Steam page:

store.steampowered.com

Save 60% on Maquette on Steam

Maquette is a first-person recursive puzzle game that takes you into a world where every building, plant, and object are simultaneously tiny and staggeringly huge.

Maquette is a first-person recursive puzzle game that takes you into a world where every building, plant, and object are simultaneously tiny and staggeringly huge.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Did any of the reviews mention length? I hope this is a shorter experience...

IGN says that it's "brief", so maybe it'll be 6 hours at most?

While Maquette has some missteps, I look back fondly on my time with it. Much like a real-life romance, my affection for this game is complicated.

I don't know why (well I do) but I giggled. Seems like a flawed title that might not be fun to play all the time, but is ripe for discussing its ideas. I'm in.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that a new Annapurna puzzle game was gonna be in the PSPlus lineup this month and was intrigued, and now after having listened to the Easy Allies review it sounds great: a fresh idea on a puzzle game that doesn't overstay it's welcome and actually wraps up its puzzle mechanics in a compelling personal story.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to this.

What was the game from the past few years that had the same mechanic? I feel like it took place on a boat.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
This kinda feels like a game from 6-8years ago. Fits right in with Unfinished Swan and the like. It's almost devastatingly precious and all a little too, hmmm, rehearsed (?) for my taste.

THAT SAID the puzzles are really neat and clever and I think I'll see it through just to see where they go with them. As an aside, I'm not sure I would have know what the mechanic was if I hadn't watched a trailer. Maybe I would have pieced it together but it does seem a little obtuse.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Already available through PS+ in Europe. Can't really play it right now but it seems cute from what I've seen.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
This kinda feels like a game from 6-8years ago. Fits right in with Unfinished Swan and the like. It's almost devastatingly precious and all a little too, hmmm, rehearsed (?) for my taste.

THAT SAID the puzzles are really neat and clever and I think I'll see it through just to see where they go with them. As an aside, I'm not sure I would have know what the mechanic was if I hadn't watched a trailer. Maybe I would have pieced it together but it does seem a little obtuse.
If it's being compared to Unfinished Swan then I'll absolutely adore it

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already available through PS+ in Europe. Can't really play it right now but it seems cute from what I've seen.
Tried two minutes. Looks nice

fov slider (60 default. Max to 90)
Texture quality (?) low medium high

unfortunately none of these settings affect the frame rate. It's 30. Dont know why seriously

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to this.

Would murder for a sequel to The Witness. Anyone have any similar game recommendations for PS4/5/Switch?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GameSkinny (7/10):
Maquette is a realistic, empathetic portrayal of two people falling in love and what comes next. If it was only that, it would make a great audio drama, or with some tweaking, a touching movie or book. But it's a game, and despite the awe-inspiring first impression it delivers, the cagey puzzle logic can leave you more hopeless than the central pair's prospects for longevity.

Maquette is a game I loved to look at and listen to, and it's a game I'll remember fondly for its subversion of romantic fiction tropes, but it wasn't usually a game I liked actually playing.

Paste Magazine (6/10):
For Maquette to really work, it needs to make us care about its characters. It needs to make us feel their connection, to fall in love with how they fell in love, and then to feel the growing alienation and the pain of their collapse. Unfortunately it doesn't do that. The story that should compel us to keep playing instead becomes an annoying digression from what the game does well. These environments, those puzzles, and the size-changing gimmick that lets you solve them comprise a unique and fascinating vision that depends on the kind of esoteric thinking familiar from classic point-and-click adventure games. Instead of pulling us in deeper, though, Michael and Kenzie's romance pushes us away. That's the real tragedy of Maquette.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
"...esoteric thinking familiar from classic point-and-click adventure games."
This is what I'm here for.

This is the kind of game where I can safely say I can ignore the reviews as I know I'll love it regardless.

The Turing Test, QUBE 2, The Sojourn, Manifold Garden and Superliminal - none of them got raving reviews but they were some of my favourite games of the last generation.

I just can't get enough of first person atmospheric puzzle games. It all started with Portal and then Talos. And I'm hooked to the genre.
I've also realized that I'm slowly learning to love this genre. I was always kind of skeptical, but I just played through Manifold Garden and even without any real narrative it was quite compelling. I'm really looking forward to getting into this genre.

Any idea on price? If it's only $20, I'll probably pick it up at launch even though I really dislike Annapurna's embrace of unnecessary Steam DRM. Otherwise, I may wait.

Annapurna makes good games, I just wish they were more consistent with their release strategy because I have their games spread across multiple retailers due to (timed)-exclusivity and DRM.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
'Free' doesn't usually mean much when I have a big ass backlog anyway, and a 7/10 average isn't anything that catches my eye.

4-5 hours long though? That makes it more tempting to check out. Do we know what the trophy list is like? A one and done playthrough or will it demand a bit more?