• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Finished up getting the platinum trophy just now (yeah, it's a pretty short game and a straightforward trophy list).

As others have said, it's very much a 7/10 sort of game. It just doesn't have the breadth of ideas to sustain a full game and the narrative (gratingly twee at first but improved later on) just doesn't gel with the puzzle game; it's like two completely unrelated aspects squished together.

I'd repeat my earlier recommendation for people to try Superliminal for a game that's both more clever and mind-bending mechanically, but also better narratively.

All said though, I'm glad I played it and I think it's a worthwhile freebie.
I'd add Manifold Garden too as a recent recommendation that seemed to go under the radar but I thought was a far superior game to Superliminal - even though I loved them both.

And yeah Maquette just doesn't sit right with me after a couple of hours. The music and narrative just doesn't fit with the genre at all IMHO. But at least they tried to do something different, feels like an admirable failure perhaps. But I'll play to completion.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
If you're at where I think you are, I don't believe you're stuck no. This part is actually kind of frustrating as it actually asks you to do some platforming out of nowhere.

To get over the wall go to the area where you first get the cog, and turn towards the desert building. As you start walking along the walkway towards it, you'll see a break in the side of the walkway to your right. Run and jump through that break onto a rock, then that rock lets you step over the wall and into the larger zone outside, which is where you take the red ball
You nailed it.
I don't feel too dumb, as I had essentially tried that idea, but didn't think to do it from the bridge. Thank you very much.

I'm stuck just before this in the green house. How do I leave the house with both crystals?
Try to move the red ball around the house without going inside.

Nov 19, 2017
The first half hour of this game feels like the most unashamedly saccharine thing I have experienced in some time. Also having some weird hitching while walking around.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting reading impressions of the romance story, especially early on. Feels like opinion is a bit divided as some reviews seem to have really attached to it while others don't find it compelling.

As someone who likes it a decent deal, I can understand where the opinion comes from that Michael and Kenzie are *very* affectionate and overly sweet to each other early on, in a way many don't enjoy. But that's also sort of... how it goes. Like, my experience with my partner matches a lot of those early conversations these two have, in terms of tone and affection. It feels both overly sweet, and yet also totally accurate.

You nailed it.
I don't feel too dumb, as I had essentially tried that idea, but didn't think to do it from the bridge. Thank you very much.
Happy to help!

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I tried that and it wouldn't let me pick it up from outside/in the smaller version. Maybe I just didn't get the right angle?
if it's the part I'm thinking of, you have to pick up and push the blue crystal through the fencing in the entryway (make it small first). Then you can pick up the red crystal and leave the house using the back door.

Mar 31, 2018
Annapurna? Publisher?

Oh, I did not know. Suddenly this got put higher on my list to play now.

I love me some Annapurna (published) stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
This game suffers a lot from being unable to signal proper solutions from improper ones that, nonetheless, are the lower hanging fruit and *seem* like they should work. There are numerous puzzles in the first two chapters, for instance, that have their obvious and immediate solutions blockaded by strange buzzing noises that seem to indicate nothing other than "the developers have decided you can't do this because reasons!" Eventually you'll find the proper, sanctioned solution, but it always feels bittersweet to have your idea ripped from you and replaced with the more proper approach, especially when the proper approach can often feel like it's almost a... bug? Like, without spoilers, at one point the player needs to interact with an object they essentially cannot see and navigate it -- this ends up feeling like a work-around for a solution you cannot find, rather than the proper approach, because it's particularly weird navigating in the game during this segment. In the worst case this leads a player to feel like they have accidentally 'broken' the game -- this is actually hard to do (though I have done it) because the developers seemed to have thought of a lot of edge cases, but that's not going to stop people from thinking they have soft-locked. It's just a weirdly messy game in the periphery of the design; maybe that's because there aren't a ton of analogous games to this one, or it could just be that the developers didn't construct the strongest puzzles they could for some of these interactions. It's limiting when the game could be so free-flowing its in design and approaches.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I dont like this game. The controls are clunky and ive already gotten stuck in the environment twice moving pieces around and had to reload.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
if it's the part I'm thinking of, you have to pick up and push the blue crystal through the fencing in the entryway (make it small first). Then you can pick up the red crystal and leave the house using the back door.

Also, the red ball won't fit through the door if you're hovering it in front of you, but if you hold it close to you, then it fits through.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
ok beat the first area, i like it, such limited items so you worry if yr missing something but then you just use what you have.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished it, in about three and a half hour, including redoing almost all of chapter 2. Was shorter than I expected, and there is one chapter where it goes completely walking sim on you and there are no puzzles. I feel like they didn't really use the recursive nature of the world enough.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is the second big indie game released on PS5 that can't maintain 60fps.

Wtf is going on? This game looks like it could easily hit 60 even on a Pro.

Stutters everywhere.

The worst is if you move the camera while walking. No matter where you are this always gives framepacing stutter

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017

Wtf is going on? This game looks like it could easily hit 60 even on a Pro.
It's not a ps5 game, it's a PS4 title and isn't optimised for the new console. I agree it needs a ps5 patch but whether it will get one or not I'm not sure.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a ps5 game, it's a PS4 title and isn't optimised for the new console. I agree it needs a ps5 patch but whether it will get one or not I'm not sure.

So wait this game is only available for PS5 users on Plus and it is a PS4 game running in backwards compatibility?

The game is definitely using the dualsense haptics. Are you sure this isn't a PS5 native game?

Last edited:

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
The hitching is driving me nuts on PS5, I already get a little motion sick in these kinds of games and changing the textures to low did nothing to fix it at 60 FOV. I didn't expect it to fix it but I figured if that was the one option, it might do something.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I just found a texture quality option! I have never seen an option for low medium or high textures in a console game.

What is going on with this game?

And changing them has no effect at all on the hitching or framepacing issues.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So wait this game is only available for PS5 users on Plus and it is a PS4 game running in backwards compatibility?

The game is definitely using the dualsense haptics. Are you sure this isn't a PS5 native game?
There's a native PS4 and PS5 version, not sure what they're talking about. It even utilises the activities feature and PS+ help for proof that it's not just running in BC on PS5.

The hitching is driving me nuts on PS5, I already get a little motion sick in these kinds of games and changing the textures to low did nothing to fix it at 60 FOV. I didn't expect it to fix it but I figured if that was the one option, it might do something.
Game is genuinely unplayable for me, developed some bad eye strain and motion sickness after playing for 25 minutes

It feels like a horribly frame paced 30fps

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It is a native PS5 version.
What was the first big indie game you're referring to out of interest?

They fixed Bugsnax in the latest update and it's a near locked 60 now. Although Maneater is still a stutter fest.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Whew yeah I'm done.

The game is constantly stuttering every other frame. It is absolutely awful and is actually making me ill.

How did they think this was acceptable for release?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It is a native PS5 version.

What was the first big indie game you're referring to out of interest?

They fixed Bugsnax in the latest update and it's a near locked 60 now. Although Maneater is still a stutter fest.

Yeah bugsnax.

I just loaded it up after reading what you said and wow it is fixed!

Just goes to show that developers really need to finish their games before releasing them. Or at least call it early access saying that they haven't gotten around to optimizing.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
Just goes to show that developers really need to finish their games before releasing them. Or at least call it early access saying that they haven't gotten around to optimizing.

I wonder how much pressure there is on devs who have their games signed to PS+. Who's in the driver's seat then? You? Your pub? Sony? I imagine there's not much wiggle room once your launch month has been set.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, there's an invisible wall in the second level near the green house but you can go beyond the physical walls, just only in a select spot. You'll probably know where when you see it but that frustration was half the reason I spent so much time in it since I thought the game "taught" me that you don't go over the garden wall.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much pressure there is on devs who have their games signed to PS+. Who's in the driver's seat then? You? Your pub? Sony? I imagine there's not much wiggle room once your launch month has been set.

Yeah, very suspect that this is the second PS Plus indie game that is on the service on day of release with big performance issues.

Honestly, this all really is on Sony- PS Plus or not. Certification should not be allowing games with these kind of performance issues to be released on the system in the first place

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, very suspect that this is the second PS Plus indie game that is on the service on day of release with big performance issues.

Honestly, this all really is on Sony- PS Plus or not. Certification should not be allowing games with these kind of performance issues to be released on the system in the first place
*reads that Sony Customer Service thread* Well, when you're the king of the world, nobody can stop you, I'd guess.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
got super stuck because with the aneamic jump i wasn't expecting 'light platforming'
when yr stuck in this game, yr really stuck tho

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The OP should probably mention what kind of game Maquette is. I found all kinds of info and very pretty pictures, but I have no idea what it is.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
I'm stuck just before this in the green house. How do I leave the house with both crystals?
Just a heads up, there's an invisible wall in the second level near the green house but you can go beyond the physical walls, just only in a select spot. You'll probably know where when you see it but that frustration was half the reason I spent so much time in it since I thought the game "taught" me that you don't go over the garden wall.
This game is not very good at showing you what you can and can't do. It doesn't really teach you how to play and progress in a natural way.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Yeah bugsnax.

I just loaded it up after reading what you said and wow it is fixed!

Sadly I tried the latest update yesterday and while it's much smoother than before, it still stutters quite often depending on where you go.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
So what's the visual problem with this game? Is is sitting at some bizarre frame rate between 30 and 60 on PS5 and that's what is making it stuttery? I could tell immediately that something was wrong. Expanding the FOV helped a little, but that didn't stop it from being stuttery. Altering the texture quality didn't seem to have any effect at all.

This feels like The Witness in that it's making my wife motion sick and she's probably not going to be able to keep playing it. I could muscle through, but it's still very unpleasant.

I'll be honest, the writing and acting so far have left something to be desired, but the puzzles were interesting enough that I'd like to continue. But I think I'm going to drop it if it's doomed to play this poorly. No game is worth slogging through motion sickness.

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Comparisons to The Witness will probably disappoint people. This is a short, linear, level-based puzzle game. It's more like a QUBE or Quantum Conundrum.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Played for an hour yesterday and I am already stuck in the second area with a red and a blue crystal. I really don't know how to get the green crystal in the blue house. I thought about the previous puzzle to iterate on that but I am clueless. The game is okay so far, I wouldn't mind an optional hint function. Stuttering is really bad though.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Playing on PS5 and I love the vibe, but it's making me feel dizzy for some reason. Tried different FOVs, but I think it might just be the controls + framerate that's annoying.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So what's the visual problem with this game? Is is sitting at some bizarre frame rate between 30 and 60 on PS5 and that's what is making it stuttery? I could tell immediately that something was wrong. Expanding the FOV helped a little, but that didn't stop it from being stuttery. Altering the texture quality didn't seem to have any effect at all.

Judging from the PC version, the issue is that the game constantly dips to around 30fps for no apparent reason:

20210303151058_1r1je3.jpg

Edit: I found a vsync setting in the registry, but changing the value to 0 made no difference.

Last edited:

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Played for an hour yesterday and I am already stuck in the second area with a red and a blue crystal. I really don't know how to get the green crystal in the blue house. I thought about the previous puzzle to iterate on that but I am clueless. The game is okay so far, I wouldn't mind an optional hint function. Stuttering is really bad though.

Happy to give a hint if you want one. Worth mentioning that the PlayStation activity cards do contain video hints and hint descriptions too.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017

My bad, I saw it was available as a PS4 game and assumed it was just being emulated like all the others!

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Rare miss for Annapurna here. The story and the aesthetic never really gel together in any meaningful way.
The dioramas and recursion had no real impact or direct connection to the relationship. While a very broad interpretation of Michael's emotional psyche (or was it Kenzie's? Again, not terribly clear.), why were they Arabian and French macrame? What were the crystals representing? The symbolism was all over the place, and never cohesive.
It starts off with the dates (eg. the state fair, the party) then goes into a crystal Arabic area? It really feels like they had an idea with the gameplay but never really fleshed it out.

Lack of signposting and a bit of endless wandering made it just not fun to play. There was a puzzle at the end that involves a timer, which never started in my game when I pulled the lever. It wasn't until I saw a YouTube video that I realised the game had broken.

Very disappointing.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea about the story of this game, it really got me by surprise lol, wasn't expecting that, got me way too emotional because of recent personnal events ^^
It was a really good experience, music was great and the puzzles were fun. A really good game that I probably would have never played if it werent for ps+

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The performance issues turned me completely off. I'll check it out again in a year or so and see if they fixed it. There's no reason for a game like this to perform so poorly.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This game is on my list right after my 34th run through Skyrim. Looks really interesting.

Also, big props for the brilliant OT title.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The performance seems better after the PS5 update today. Unless I just got used to the issues but it feels smoother.