• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yes. Verizon has an issue along the east coast which is also affecting Cloudflare so a lot of the internet has issues/is down

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Reset Era was slow too. So has other sites. Glad to know it isn't me.

I haven't received any calls at work about it...

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
200.gif

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
just had a bad gateway pop up for Era.

It's happening!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was seeing this on Era, Reddit (for a short while) and several news sites. Figured it was just a data center outage or something, it doesn't seem widely reported.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
There was a lot that was down.

Resetera, Somethingawful, even NeoGAF while down was giants like Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter were still up.
Whatever it was seems to have only affected smaller sites, and Discord is currently still down

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
It's Cloudflare. So many websites were down. Some seem to be back now though so it may be resolved soon.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I was having issues with Era earlier and wasn't sure if it was the site or the shitty hotel wifi I'm on.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do games like Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes also use Cloudfare? I suddenly can't access that game and Cloudfare being down would explain it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is a "Route Leak"
The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) in RFC 7908 provides a working definition of a BGP Route Leak as "the propagation of routing announcement(s) beyond their intended scope. That is, an announcement from an Autonomous System (AS) of a learned BGP route to another AS is in violation of the intended policies of the receiver, the sender, and/or one of the ASes along the preceding AS path."

beats me

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Basically, the internet is a very complicated roadmap with all the various businesses and entities sharing the "route" on how to reach them. Sometimes when someone is sharing routes through BGP, it interferes with the correct path and points everyone on that provider the wrong way.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
It was scary. For a while I thought I might have to go to sleep. But Era finally came back.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Last time one happened with Cloudflare 5 years ago https://blog.cloudflare.com/route-leak-incident-on-october-2-2014/

Today, CloudFlare suffered downtime which caused customers' sites to be inaccessible in certain parts of the world. We take the availability of our customers' web properties very seriously. Incidents like this get the absolute highest priority, attention, and follow up. The pain felt by our customers is also felt deeply by the CloudFlare team in London and San Francisco.

This downtime was the result of a BGP route leak by Internexa, an ISP in Latin America. Internexa accidentally directed large amounts of traffic destined for CloudFlare data centers around the world to a single data center in MedellĂ­n, Colombia. At the same time Internexa also leaked routes belonging to Telecom Argentina causing disruption in Argentina. This was the result of Internexa announcing via BGP that their network, instead of ours, handled traffic for CloudFlare. This miscommunication caused a flood of traffic to quickly overwhelm the data center in MedellĂ­n. The incident lasted 49 minutes, from 15:08UTC to 15:57UTC.

A lot more sites rely on it now than did 5 years ago, so more get affected this time. Big downside of everything being owned by just a few things (downside that you'll start to see more of, too) is how much of it gets affected/goes down/is at least temporarily unusable from something happening to just one service. I only go to 3 forums regularly; only one of those wasn't down at least some of the morning for me, and even Discord is still down

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I guess that must be why I was aging issues this morning? Everything was fine here in SC for me on Spectrum last night before work, and then I got home from work a few hours ago and couldn't access a ton of websites. I wound up trying a bunch of stuff, rebooted my modem and router a ton of times, and finally changed the DNS to Google. After that last one though, Resetera and a lot of other sites immediately began working for me. I thought that was the fix but I guess it was more likely a coincidence. Might try going back to the ISP's dns server.

EDIT: Switched back to the default DNS for my ISP and everything still works so I guess I wasn't having a different issue than this and it was in fact a coincidence that I was able to get to era after moving to google's DNS. Using 8.8.8.8 doesn't seem to make anything any faster for me or anything, so I'll stay on whatever the ISP is using.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like this explains why Alexa wouldn't play any music for me this morning when I woke up and eventually showed me the yellow ring of doom. Seems to all be working again now.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Era was down for me awhile now the main thing like everyone else just seems to be Discord.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
My azure pipelines build is failing due to cloudflare affecting nodejs.org.

Oct 27, 2017
Woke up and noticed my internet wasn't working on my desktop. I couldn't load anything and when I tried to load Era on my phone it timed out too......so I assumed my internet was down. I had forgot I had set Cloudflare DNS on my desktop and of course Era runs off of Cloudflare...

At least I don't have to call Verizon when I get home later today.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Here is a map of the Cloudfare impact:

Cloudflare-Outage-map.jpg

Also, looks like the culprit was found:

Allegheny Technologies Incorporated

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a map of the Cloudfare impact:

Cloudflare-Outage-map.jpg

Also, looks like the culprit was found:

Allegheny Technologies Incorporated

My head canon is all of the people posting in that thread are just posting random things to sound like they know what they're talking about, but they don't know that's also what everyone else is doing.