• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
GettyImages-1230440018-800x533.jpeg

For most of the country—about 69 percent—getting vaccinated and being able to return to some normal activities is an easy sell. Over 21 percent of people in America have already gotten at least one dose of an authorized vaccine. Three vaccines are currently authorized for use in the US, all of which are highly effective and safe. For the remaining pro-vaccine people, it's just a matter of time before they can get one. In fact, many people around the country are anxiously trying to get in line and scouring online sign-up websites for an open vaccination slot.

But about 30 percent of adults are not getting in line, according to a poll by the Pew Research Center reported March 5. About 15 percent of people said they would probably not get vaccinated and an additional 15 percent said they would definitely not get a shot. That's enough people to dash any hopes of ending the pandemic through vaccination. It's also enough to ruin the Biden administration's plans of celebrating our independence from the virus on July 4.

There are a number of reasons why people are eschewing their shot, but many of them are highly correlated with political leanings. In the Pew poll, for instance, Democrats were 27 percentage points more likely than Republicans to say they would get or have already gotten a COVID-19 vaccine.

The same disparity has been seen in other polls. A poll published February 26 by the Kaiser Family Foundation—a nonprofit focusing on national health issues—found that a whooping 28 percent of Republicans said they would "definitely not" get a COVID-19 vaccine, while just 2 percent of Democrats said that.
In a 20-person focus group of Trump voters held this weekend, GOP pollster Frank Luntz worked to figure out how to crack the partisan barrier to vaccination. "These people represent 30 million Americans," Luntz told The Washington Post. "And without these people, you're not getting herd immunity."

After the two-hour session, 19 participants (one person dropped out) said they were more likely to get vaccinated. What worked to change their mind was straight and honest facts about the vaccines—such as that an overwhelming number of doctors have chosen to get vaccinated and that the long-term health effects of COVID-19 could be much worse than vaccine side effects. The participants also appreciated hearing points such as that, although the mRNA vaccines were developed and tested at "warp speed," the underlying research for the vaccines have been in the works for decades. Also, although experts consider the vaccine safe, there's no way to know long-term risks.

"We want to be educated, not indoctrinated," one participant said.

What absolutely didn't work was political-based appeals or appeals by politicians. The members of the focus group were annoyed by a video advertisement promoting the vaccines that included former presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Jimmy Carter. They also, surprisingly, said they wouldn't be swayed by an appeal from Trump himself. Luntz speculated to the Post afterward that perhaps "people are beginning to move on."

arstechnica.com

Many Republicans are refusing COVID vaccines. Experts are trying to change that

Straight facts and no politics are what's needed to increase vaccination.

'I don't need the vaccine': GOP worries threaten virus fight

In this rural swath of Virginia's Shenandoah valley, former President Donald Trump remains deeply admired, with lawn signs and campaign flags still dotting the landscape. The vaccines aimed at taming the coronavirus, however, aren't so popular.

"The way I feel about it is: I don't need the vaccine at this point," she said. "And I'm not going to get the vaccine until it is well established."
While polls have found vaccine hesitancy falling overall, opposition among Republicans remains stubbornly strong. A new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that 42% of Republicans say they probably or definitely will not get the shot, compared with 17% of Democrats — a 25-point split.
Ron Holloway is an example of the hurdles facing health officials. The 75-year-old Forsyth, Missouri, resident and his wife, who is 74, are at a higher risk of contracting the virus. But he was steadfast in insisting that they "don't do vaccinations."

"This whole thing is blown way out of proportion and a bunch of nonsense," he said of the virus. "We still haven't lost 1% of our population. It is just ridiculous."
apnews.com

'I don’t need the vaccine': GOP worries threaten virus fight

FRONT ROYAL, Virginia (AP) — In this rural swath of Virginia's Shenandoah valley, former President Donald Trump remains deeply admired, with lawn signs and campaign flags still dotting the landscape.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Vaccination = Death

Yet here I stand.

Pull your heads out of the sand, stop listening to Orange Hitler and get your damn shots or you stand a way higher chance of dying.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Unsurprising. That's what happens when you make your followers conspiracy eating drones.

The real problem is that they are spewing this shit to other people. My mother in law is getting nervous about getting the vaccine because of the antivax bullshit her Coworkers spew at her.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1% of that 30 million is another 300K dead. Damn.

Honestly, at this point if it couldn't fuck all of us in the end, I wouldn't give a single fuck at this point. These people are so fucking dangerously stupid that they can screw over humanity as a whole here. Shit fucking sucks... to put it lightly.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated to the topic, but this structure of title for a news article for some reason suck ball.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
'I don't need the vaccine': GOP worries threaten virus fight

In this rural swath of Virginia's Shenandoah valley, former President Donald Trump remains deeply admired, with lawn signs and campaign flags still dotting the landscape. The vaccines aimed at taming the coronavirus, however, aren't so popular.

"The way I feel about it is: I don't need the vaccine at this point," she said. "And I'm not going to get the vaccine until it is well established."
While polls have found vaccine hesitancy falling overall, opposition among Republicans remains stubbornly strong. A new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that 42% of Republicans say they probably or definitely will not get the shot, compared with 17% of Democrats — a 25-point split.
Ron Holloway is an example of the hurdles facing health officials. The 75-year-old Forsyth, Missouri, resident and his wife, who is 74, are at a higher risk of contracting the virus. But he was steadfast in insisting that they "don't do vaccinations."

"This whole thing is blown way out of proportion and a bunch of nonsense," he said of the virus. "We still haven't lost 1% of our population. It is just ridiculous."
apnews.com

'I don’t need the vaccine': GOP worries threaten virus fight

FRONT ROYAL, Virginia (AP) — In this rural swath of Virginia's Shenandoah valley, former President Donald Trump remains deeply admired, with lawn signs and campaign flags still dotting the landscape.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
We need em for herd immunity unfortunately.
We probably don't. Keep in mind that a third or so of the US population likely has natural immunity at this point. So if 70% vaccinate and 1/3 of the rest have natural immunity, that puts you at 80% with some form of immunity. That's more than enough for herd immunity.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
We probably don't. Keep in mind that a third or so of the US population likely has natural immunity at this point. So if 70% vaccinate and 1/3 of the rest have natural immunity, that puts you at 80% with some form of immunity. That's more than enough for herd immunity.

Not necessarily. Fauci has said his estimate is that the required amount is between 70 and 90%. 80% may be enough, especially if the results on the vaccine slowing spread considerably continue to be good, but there's no guarantee of that. Things are going to be much easier if we can convince at least a solid chunk of those

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah actual epidemiologists are absurdly concerned about new variants developing that are resistant to the vaccine and the more infection that happens the more likely this is to occur. Vaccine hesitancy is a big problem we have to confront for all our sakes.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
My dad called me and asked if I would move to Colorado with him. I told him that I wasn't even going to visit him until he got his vaccinations. He had previously said he wouldn't because people were dying. He said he would get it.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i know the temptation is to say yo fuck these republicans if they die its their fault- but they need to get vaccinated otherwise the virus can mutate into strains that can fuck us all over

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
The vaccines seem effective enough to keep vaccinated people out of pine boxes while the anti vaxxers celebrate their freedom by dying of COVID. And for that I am thankful.
Right, but the immunocompromised can't get the vaccine, because their immune system doesn't work. So they need everyone else to get it instead. They're the innocent bystanders if we can't get the MAGAs to take the shot.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah actual epidemiologists are absurdly concerned about new variants developing that are resistant to the vaccine and the more infection that happens the more likely this is to occur. Vaccine hesitancy is a big problem we have to confront for all our sakes.
You're not going to resolve the mutation/variant risk by vaccinating more Republicans though. That exposure will remain until you achieve herd immunity globally. That won't happen for several years. Until we get there that will remain a constant risk.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously their bursting masculinity will protect them from the virus.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The worry is new mutations forming to fuck over the vaccinated.
A lot of these variants come from immunocompromised people so we're going to have to do a better job of treating them in the future. Herd immunity is also not binary, so the spread should slow significantly once more than half of the nation is immune.

I'm more concerned about the situation in places like Brazil, where they don't have a vaccine, antivirals, or any plan to control the spread. It is the perfect breeding ground for new variants.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we can move them all to isolated colonies away from the general public? No worries of ruining herd immunity then.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I think that the unfortunate thing about US media is that it doesn't show the realities of war and violence.

If the US media spent a week across the board showing people in hospital beds with really bad symptoms on the point of intubation and death it would cause a seismic shift.

Show the suffering and death as it actually is.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to resolve the mutation/variant risk by vaccinating more Republicans though. That exposure will remain until you achieve herd immunity globally. That won't happen for several years. Until we get there that will remain a constant risk.

You do reduce the risk of more variants by vaccinating more people. End of discussion.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Our government should require everyone (except for the immunocompromised) to get the vaccine. Of course this country is too afraid of telling white people what to do.

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like most of these people have probably been exposed to it through group gatherings without masks, and all around not giving a shit. Hopefully most of them already have antibodies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This is what happens when the last guy who ran the GOP didn't go after vaccines, fucked up the plan, took credit for the vaccines and got the shots but hid it.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Really sucks because Trump has been trying to take credit for the vaccine. Was hoping that they would believe that their God personally made the vaccine himself so they would take it.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I think that the unfortunate thing about US media is that it doesn't show the realities of war and violence.

If the US media spent a week across the board showing people in hospital beds with really bad symptoms on the point of intubation and death it would cause a seismic shift.

Show the suffering and death as it actually is.

People will claim "Fake News" when they witness it. Nothing will change these peoples minds.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we had people going around taking pictures of empty hallways in hospitals as PROOF covid was a hoax.

Because you know, they are in rooms.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

It also helps that there's a lot of overlap between the 'already have natural immunity' group and the 'the libs can't tell me what to do!' group.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully they won't change their minds until everyone who wants to get vaccinated right now is able to get their shots.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Someone explain to these morons that Trump got his vaccine back in Jan.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Im so tired of this bullshit put a thing on their license that says "im a dumbass" just like we have organ donor then refuse these fuckers hospital service when they get sick from covid.

Fuck man.

I don't want anyone to die but at what point is enough enough with these motherfuckers and their bullshit. Send their vaccinations to other under privileged countries who want it.

So damn tired of this type of person republican or not, the world is shit enough without these assholes constantly trying to set everyoneback in both daily life and government.