• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you disappointed in removal of these qol features?

• Yes

Votes: 727 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 188 20.5%

• Total voters

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part about this thread is that isn't not even a fucking QOL feature. Just 8 pages of people wanting to start a battle preemptively with a ranged throw.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Its amazing the amount of people that think that the gameplay parts "were removed" when it was never there and it was obvious that it was not be the same due to being development at the same time

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's very sad that S/V don't have that stuff but the thing is that these QoL feature were not removed, they were never thought to be part of the game.

I can see them not wanting to put them in the main series with S/V because they wanted to see first how people would react to them and the game as a whole, an giving the fact that there will be less than 10 months between PLA and S/V, meaning even less of that time on actual development, there was not enought time to implement those features.

It's just a damn shame and basically the whole reason why I wanted a new Pokémon Generation on November 2023, then they propably would have though of gettin them in.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's pretty bad. No one expected all of the improvements to make it but none of them is disappointing. I'm sure it'll still be a great game but I can't imagine going back after Arceus.

Apr 22, 2022
We are definitely underestimating children, my 5 year old is going through Luigi's mansion faster than I did and I thought the mechanics would be too difficult for him. To be honest I'd think a child having trouble with Legends' mechanics probably wouldn't be able to read (this the experience would be difficult in general), and having them in mainline games would not mean they need to remove the traditional way to capture them through battle menus.

My 7y daughter had problems with Arceus, she was terrified by wild alpha and she couldn't aim very well/fast enough. Now she is playing Brilliant Pearl every day for 2 months and loves it so much, she already want play SwSh after and she is really happy that SV doesn't play like PLA.

Probably Legends series will always be for hardcore gamer but a new Gen has to be for everyone.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Lol it is not impossible to adopt some QOL features. Fuck

None of the features mentioned are QoL imo. It's more just ... design decisions. Especially the last one mentioned by OP with physical contact was possible in Arceus because they drastically limited the move count. Which is something they will not do in new gens/main games with normal structure. Competitive is clearly an important aspect for designing their combat system.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
None of the features mentioned are QoL imo. It's more just ... design decisions. Especially the last one mentioned by OP with physical contact was possible in Arceus because they drastically limited the move count. Which is something they will not do in new gens/main games with normal structure. Competitive is clearly an important aspect for designing their combat system.
Reducing text boxes is QOL. Being able to send Pokemon out/change leader at click of 1 button is QOL. Having attacks that look like they actually belong in the world is QOL. I do not believe that the Pokemon company lacks the money to make this work

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Reducing text boxes is QOL. Being able to send Pokemon out/change leader at click of 1 button is QOL. Having attacks that look like they actually belong in the world is QOL. I do not believe that the Pokemon company lacks the money to make this work
But you see, it's impossible for 2 teams working down a hallway from each other to communicate any plans for the future of the series. You just have to hope after SV comes out the teams get together for lunch and share ideas before they lock themselves away from each other for another 3 years.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really makes no sense to backpedal on things like this. The only one I might understand is the lack of physical contact with moves, because of the larger number of moves, but even that is still disappointing honestly.

Arceus is indeed not a traditional game, but there's no denying they have a ton in common with the traditional games. All these QoL features were things in common with the traditional games.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Lol it is not impossible to adopt some QOL features. Fuck

I feel like I'm slowly going insane watching the sort of rhetoric in this thread.

Like people in here honestly acting like two games that are more similar than they are different have some sort of fundamental irreconcilable different in (*checks notes*) small quality of life tweaks, generally snappier experiences, and mechanics that can make the game fun to simply play moment to moment.

Like fuck you'd think we were talking about unifying a divided country or something with how adamant some people are that no ground must be ceded lest the purity of the traditional pokemon experience be tainted.

We've had devs make JRPGs that blend real time and turn based combat! Devs have made games that mix together all sorts of genres! Governments have put people on the moon! And finding a way to incorporate elements of both systems in a satisfying way is somehow impossible for Gamefreak? Like how little esteem do people hold Gamefreak in if this is the direction they're going?

The poll suggests overwhelmingly that people will miss these features, all of which were introduced in a recent game that probably garnered the most positive buzz for the franchise in years.

For the longest time I've asked for shit like battle frontier, meaningful dungeons and side content in Pokemon games. I've always been told that most Pokemon fans don't like those things, only a minority enjoy them and that I'm not the target demo. So I always just shut up. But now there are some features which everything indicates a lot of the fanbase enjoyed and all of a sudden these same Pokemon fans are pointing at (very minor!) features and saying they shouldn't be in the games because reasons.

Like its gatekeeping "you're not a real fan" goalpost moving bullshit. Pokemon fans are the absolute fucking worst.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Honestly a lot of the stuff said in this thread reminds me of when JRPG fans used to complain about not being booted back to the main menu when you died in a lot of games anymore.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
But you see, it's impossible for 2 teams working down a hallway from each other to communicate any plans for the future of the series. You just have to hope after SV comes out the teams get together for lunch and share ideas before they lock themselves away from each other for another 3 years.

The Arceus team and the SV team exist in two separate dimensions, unfortunately. And nothing screams "mainline" Pokemon more than move-learning and exp-earning text boxes interrupting battles.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Why do these always reduce into lazy dev arguments... Arceus was a different direction and if they do implement parts of it it wasn't going to be in Scarlet/Violet.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Having attacks look like they belong in the world is not QoL. I also dont consider the other stuff QoL. As I consider choosing attacks and if to learn them or not important to the core experience for me. Removing that isn't QoL. And just changing leader in combat is also not something I want them to add and wouldnt consider QoL. The system as is works p flawless.

Also who said anything about money. Time constraints are more likely concerning moves.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Having attacks look like they belong in the world is not QoL. I also dont consider the other stuff QoL. As I consider choosing attacks and if to learn them or not important to the core experience for me. Removing that isn't QoL. And just changing leader in combat is also not something I want them to add and wouldnt consider QoL. The system as is works p flawless.

Also who said anything about money. Time constraints are more likely concerning moves.
You can still do those things if they made it snappier lol. It's not removing them, it's not bombarding the player at all times with a bunch of text. How is it flawless? You can't even relent on the fucking changing the leader with a button press thing? How would that ruin the game if it was in? It saves you an entire menu visit

Yes it is about money. They don't want to spend the money to expand

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
At the end of the day it's a manpower problem
You not getting the games that you want the way you want doesn't mean that

SWSH had around 1000 people work on it. SV likely will as well. Game Freak itself has been growing.

This narrative being spread is just utter twaddle, just because people don't get the game they want, they think that it's down to not putting money in or effort in, when the fact is they just want to make a different game to what you want

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

SWSH had around 1000 people work on it. SV likely will as well. Game Freak itself has been growing.

This narrative being spread is just utter twaddle, just because people don't get the game they want, they think that it's down to not putting money in or effort in, when the fact is they just want to make a different game to what you want
It's fair to critique the direction of a game and how it looks. It's a product. The non connecting attacks just straight up look bad. I don't really care if the reason is not enough manpower or they just don't want to do it

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

I'm not doubting what you're saying, but if SWSH had 1000 people on it and that's the product we got (in terms of technical aspects), then idek what to call that. That's ridiculous lol

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's fair to critique the direction of a game and how it looks. It's a product. The non connecting attacks just straight up look bad. I don't really care if the reason is not enough manpower or they just don't want to do it
It's fair to critique it.

It's not fair to make stuff up and claim that stuff as fact

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
It's fair to critique it.

It's not fair to make stuff up and claim that stuff as fact
Well I didn't know, I'd always heard that the issue was that the workload would be too much for the team. I'm sorry for disgracing a multimillion dollar corporation. If it isn't a manpower problem then I really don't know what to say if they can't correct it

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well I didn't know, I'd always heard that the issue was that the workload would be too much for the team.
That's due to a multitude of lies that spread around by youtubers who know sweet sod all about game development, game freak etc. and think they know better because they can edit a texture in the game

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they are two separate games where one is a spin-off. It's okay for them to have different design goals.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Why do these always reduce into lazy dev arguments... Arceus was a different direction and if they do implement parts of it it wasn't going to be in Scarlet/Violet.
Where did I say they were lazy? I think the decision making process is broken when it comes to how Game Freak divides and conquers, that doesn't mean they're lazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are saying that all the gameplay elements should never come back, but a lot legit just want games that feel like they were made in the last decade or something.

No other game gets a pass like this when it comes to harassing developers. This whole discussion is a masterclass in toxicity.

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
I don't understand how being developed alongside Arceus is a problem as they seem to share some bigger stuff than these QOLs. I guess it bothers me a bit, but low effort is what I've come to expect from them and I'm probably gonna play this anyway.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Suggesting they couldn't be bothered "walking down the hall" to talk to the other developers... wtf else does that imply?
If a studio the size of Game Freak, with the financial successes of Game Freak, is unable to coordinate moving the series forward by utilizing well received mechanics in a new game because it started developed at the same time as the game that introduced those mechanics, then clearly there are problems with how these projects are being run.

Maybe they shouldn't split the teams in two? Maybe they should communicate with each other? I'm not blaming the individual programmers, but the consistent "one step forward, two steps back" nature of Game Freak's 3D games speaks to mismanagement.

So yes, maybe they should discuss what's happening on one game with the other team so they can have a unified vision, but at this rate we're lucky if they run into each other at lunch. And i feel like this will especially be true if indeed it wasn't a conscious choice and the next game brings back the Arceus ball throwing, or connecting moves, or evolving/learning moves outside battle, because right now it seems like the excuse a bunch of people in this threat are giving them is that GF couldn't have known about these features.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't understand how being developed alongside Arceus is a problem as they seem to share some bigger stuff than these QOLs. I guess it bothers me a bit, but low effort is what I've come to expect from them and I'm probably gonna play this anyway.
You not getting stuff you want doesn't mean it's low effort

Jesus christ, that's just lazy dev rhetoric in a new hat

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to say, it'll show up in the next game but I'm familiar with how this series has worked for a long time.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If a studio the size of Game Freak, with the financial successes of Game Freak, is unable to coordinate moving the series forward by utilizing well received mechanics in a new game because it started developed at the same time as the game that introduced those mechanics, then clearly there are problems with how these projects are being run.

Maybe they shouldn't split the teams in two? Maybe they should communicate with each other? I'm not blaming the individual programmers, but the consistent "one step forward, two steps back" nature of Game Freak's 3D games speaks to mismanagement.

So yes, maybe they should discuss what's happening on one game with the other team so they can have a unified vision, but at this rate we're lucky if they run into each other at lunch. And i feel like this will especially be true if indeed it wasn't a conscious choice and the next game brings back the Arceus ball throwing, or connecting moves, or evolving/learning moves outside battle, because right now it seems like the excuse a bunch of people in this threat are giving them is that GF couldn't have known about these features.

You're still assuming they don't communicate and just decided to ignore the future of the IP etc. Arceus is not what everyone wants and its certainly not a result of ignoring a "unified vision". Did you think the teams at the end of development are just like "oh shit, you went that direction with it? wow thats crazy!" ?

ciD_Vain

Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
3. You cannot select pokemon nor throw pokeball before engaging in a battle, you are back to touching the pokemon to trigger the battle animation and the first pokemon will automatically come out
This is the only one that bothers me with its omission. I loved being able to cycle between my Pokémon and choosing who to send out first without having to do so in the menu. I can live without the others.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
That I dont want to be able to switch Pokemon in combat the way it was in Arceus in Pokemon games with normal structure.

Arceus combat changes mostly werent fun for me.
I like throwing out the pokemon, but I want battle to be mostly the same, just a bit snappier. We don't know the extent of it right now.

In PLA the game would sort of ignore what would make sense from a traditional battle to make it more challenging/exciting. Like a slow Pokémon out speeding a fast one because of alpha status. Even if the pokemon was slow like a dusknoir. The game was fun, but actual competitive battle would have been chaos. You weren't punished for switching, and if a Pokémon wanted to hit you on its turn, you would just have to take it with no options to mitigate damage.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be interested to see the actual battle pacing in motion. Going from SwSh to PLA was like going from DP to BW - everything was so much snappier and more responsive, especially with the quick shortcuts and lack of message spam. I don't want the speed system to come back and I'm not married to PLA's mechanics, but it really made wild battles much less of a slog.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This seems to me lowkey confirmation that Legends will be its own thing moving forward and we'll get more. I really liked that game for what it was, with some improvements a sequel could be glorious

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
User Banned (1 Week): Accusations of Shilling; Account in Junior Phase
You not getting stuff you want doesn't mean it's low effort

Jesus christ, that's just lazy dev rhetoric in a new hat
Just take your shilling to someone who cares, lol. By your logic no game could be ever criticized on its production value or anything else.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just take your shilling to someone who cares, lol. By your logic no game could be ever criticized on its production value or anything else.
Yes, I'm shilling because I'm calling out lazy dev rhetoric and make the claim that nothing should be criticised when I literally say otherwise and criticise things myself

Don't do this, don't be like this

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
Yes, I'm shilling because I'm calling out lazy dev rhetoric and make the claim that nothing should be criticised when I literally say otherwise and criticise things myself

Don't do this, don't be like this
Except no one talked about devs, because these decisions are taken by the people who direct the creative and financial aspects. I should know, since I'm a dev myself. But no, someone touched your toy so you must lash out and put words in my mouth.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The lazy devs rethoric sounds like trolling here because it has nothing to do with the absence of these features. They had already done them in Arceus so most of the design work is done. Not bringing them back is a design decision, a disappointing one, but still. GF is very conservative with mainline Pokemon an it takes a while for them to decide to change things even when it would be easily done. See the lack of VA, it's not because they don't want to invest into it, they simply don't want the games to be voiced.