• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you disappointed in removal of these qol features?

• Yes

Votes: 727 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 188 20.5%

• Total voters

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why you enjoy it in that sense, but I don't find value in that specific quality you're referring to. I don't find any value in relentlessly catching everything around you for EXP at all times for no reason. That makes less sense than how the system was integrated into the world before. The idea of catching everything that moves just because it's some kind of sport, rather than the Pokémon you like, just feels weird to me. You collect them in droves, repeats by the dozens; I really don't like that at all. It's a reduction of the Pokémon "experience" into "just catch all of these things". Then when the box gets full, give them as quest items, throw them away or trade them in for candy. I'm sorry it's just so weird. And I get that it's the slogan but I think we can all agree Pokémon's a bit more than that.

I also don't particularly like the idea of a world where Pokémon actively attack people. Digimon already occupies that slot for me and I didn't need another but I suppose that's pretty personal. The old games abstracted the encounter enough to the point where you very rarely see a Pokémon going after a person - maybe in a cutscene somewhere, but you certainly don't see giant Pokémon fucking Hyperbeaming you to death all the time, which again, just feels unnecessarily edgy and "fanfic"-like.

I understand not wanting to replay a game after 150 hours, but I can at the very least assure you I've put at least that much into most individual Pokémon games before and I'm sure there's been at least one or two in which you did, too! Why do you feel you can do that for those, but not here?

As an aside: My avatar's indeed by Soejima, but it's an unreleased game. :p Neither here nor there, just thought you may wanna look into it though there's not much to know just yet.

i should have looked closer, i knew about that but my brain totally read Kasumi!

i don't think Arceus should be a game everyone loves. i in fact understand why lots of people don't. the idea of some universally loved Pokemon game can snowball into "this is how Pokemon should be from now on." on a personal level, it's games like BDSP, Arceus and now SV that make me feel like Game Freak and TPC understand that there are many different ways in which you can make a turn based Pokemon experience, and they can all feel very different. whether top down, or stealth/sneaking based or an open world but traditional experience.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I think examining the past to forecast future possibilities is reasonable. Game Freak has a long history resisting bold changes to Pokémon's core formula. PLA shook things up, and people hoped to see its DNA here, yet major strands are seemingly missing. It's not unreasonable to make educated guesses.

Oh, I agree. It's completely fair to be worried about it, but getting angry about something before you actually know if it's true seems like a pointless waste of energy to me.

This is something I seriously don't understand, and probably where the main difference comes between people who are advocating for the old design vs Arceus in my view. Do people actually find battling random field pokemon engaging in any way whatsoever?

I do enjoy the bit of challenge that comes from catching strong Pokémon, yes. I do agree that it's a bit more of a chore for weaker Pokémon that you can just capture without doing anything, but having to weaken a strong Pokémon before catching it to make it easier is fun to me. Arceus completely removed that by giving you broken items that let you capture anything without much effort and made it less exciting for me personally.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
This is something I seriously don't understand, and probably where the main difference comes between people who are advocating for the old design vs Arceus in my view. Do people actually find battling random field pokemon engaging in any way whatsoever?

To me the core challenge in the battle system only ever comes into play when playing against trainers or boss Pokemon that have varied and thought out movesets. The wild pokemon are a resource at best and an annoyance in most cases.

ding ding ding ding ding.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
See my previous post..
Wanting the Arceus catching mechanics and the traditional Pokémon Trainer and Gym battle structure are not mutually exclusive. I don't think anyone here is arguing for a carbon copy of Arceus as a mainline title. A lot of us, including myself, just want them to incorporate the improved catching system into the traditional Trainer / Gym battle structure.
I don't see why anyone would want to go into battle every fucking time they want to catch something.
But that capture system *is* a substitute of combat. It is made so that you don't have to engage in combat to capture Pokémon. They are mutually exclusive from a design point of view. That's why catch rates are drastically different in Arceus.

If you can capture a Pokemon just throwing a ball, there is no point in battle. If in the other hand is so hard to capture them outside battle, there is no point in throwing balls.
This isn't 100% accurate, quick balls are arguably the best pokeballs in the game for generations and they make battles pointless, its basically the same as arseus only more time wasted clicking buttons and watching animations.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck I realize why I don't take part in Pokemon discussions anymore. I've never seen more people talking past each other about a video game in my life lol
Here's why the thing you're assuming based on no confirmed information is wrong based on my assumption of something with no confirmed information

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I do enjoy the bit of challenge that comes from catching strong Pokémon, yes. I do agree that it's a bit more of a chore for weaker Pokémon that you can just capture without doing anything, but having to weaken a strong Pokémon before catching it to make it easier is fun to me. Arceus completely removed that by giving you broken items that let you capture anything without much effort and made it less exciting for me personally.

As someone who loved Arceus I can 100% agree with this. It is too easy to set up captures on Alphas and things without needing to engage with the game mechanics. But imo this is a point for revision not something that is irredeemable.

I'd much rather they go the route of increasing the toolset you have to interact with pokemon before battle to set yourself up for easier captures or improve your odds of a field capture without negating the need to battle at all for certain power levels. I don't really view that as something you can't solve with a game focused on combining both.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
It's not accurate to say that features were removed from Scarlet/Violet, because the games were developed in parallel.

However, the mainline series can certainly take some inspiration from Legends: Arceus. The new game hasn't changed in terms of battling, and it will feel especially outdated to those who played Arceus.

I won't be buying any of the 2022 Pokémon games this year, but I'll be waiting for discounts down the line. I've had my fill of console Pokémon for now.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

To me the core challenge in the battle system only ever comes into play when playing against trainers or boss Pokemon that have varied and thought out movesets. The wild pokemon are a resource at best and an annoyance in most cases.
Many mythical routes and caves in the saga have not just trainers, but dangerous wild Pokemon that are part of the experience. Sometimes trying to capture a Pokemon is more dangerous that just finish it with a move and that's part of the experience for me. They are not a resource and that's exactly how Arceus sees them.

That's why it's not a easy problem that has a "correct solution with everybody being happy". There is also people in this thread that want abilities removed to make the game faster and that's horrible for me, for example.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Could you please explain to me why classic Pokemon mechanics require slow, painful text boxes that treat me like an idiot,
A lot of these features are QoL improvements in PLA because they're backgrounding aspects of battle in a game where battling is a secondary concern and easing aspects of capture in a game where capturing is the primary concern.

For a more casual audience, backgrounding many of these elements (exp growth, battle state info, move changes) would make the battling more opaque in a game where battles are the primary concern.
You are an enfranchised player who posts on a hobbyist video game forum. Most people who play Pokemon games are not.

Would a toggle be nice? Certainly. But GameFreak's lack of just offering options is legendary. If it's going to be one system or the other, this is the optimal choice for the battle-centric mainline games.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As someone who loved Arceus I can 100% agree with this. It is too easy to set up captures on Alphas and things without needing to engage with the game mechanics. But imo this is a point for revision not something that is irredeemable.

I'd much rather they go the route of increasing the toolset you have to interact with pokemon before battle to set yourself up for easier captures or improve your odds of a field capture without negating the need to battle at all for certain power levels. I don't really view that as something you can't solve with a game focused on combining both.

They could very easily let you "skip" the battle if you were going to catch the Pokémon on the first turn anyway, but I do think catching strong Pokémon should actually take a bit of effort. No cheap tricks, just engage with the Pokémon for a bit, EARN the Pokémon. It will make it much more satisfying if you actually have to work a bit for it, I think.

I talked about it earlier:

Although I don't particularly think going back to a more traditional approach for S/V is a bad thing since I prefer Pokémon to be a bit more slow-paced, personally, I do think some things from PLA could be added relatively easily by tweaking them a bit.

Starting a battle by throwing a PokéBall (either empty or with a Pokémon) could easily be changed to an "auto-lock" system that doesn't actually require you to aim. Something similar to how you can target a monster in Xenoblade Chronicles. You press a button to lock onto the Pokémon, another one to throw a PokéBall, and that's how you start a battle. If you catch the Pokémon, that's it, no need to go through the process of actually starting the battle. If you don't, the battle begins normally as it would if you touched the Pokémon in the overworld.

No sneaking, no "critical catches", no dodges, no tools to make it easier, just the same capture ratio as you'd have normally, but streamlining the process.

It's all about making things faster, more streamlined, without losing the focus on what's actually important. Which, I think, is the battles.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
They could very easily let you "skip" the battle if you were going to catch the Pokémon on the first turn anyway, but I do think catching strong Pokémon should actually take a bit of effort. No cheap tricks, just engage with the Pokémon for a bit, EARN the Pokémon. It will make it much more satisfying if you actually have to work a bit for it, I think.

It's all about making things faster, more streamlined, without losing the focus on what's actually important. Which, I think, is the battles.
maybe it could be based on avrage team leval, alot of jrpgs after a certain level difference it insta kills, so if your 20 levels above it and using the correct pokaball you can catch it, otherwise you need to battle it.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I can understand this view, but for me personally I think having some tools to set up and make battles easier could feel a lot more engaging, I just think Arceus went a bit too far in that direction with a very simple tool set.

I view it like using traps, bombs, and other gimmicks in Monster Hunter. A lot of traditionalists like to just fight it out normally, because that is what they find engaging. To others mastering the game's toolset and manipulating the monster for easier hunts is what makes the game fun. I'm very much pro-options on this front, and I don't think investing in one precludes the other.

Gamefreak and the Pokemon company have been delivering great games that emphasize traditional battle and capture mechanics, and they're a solid foundation, but it doesn't mean there isn't room for it to grow and allow for more options for how you interact both inside and outside of battle.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Well I still enjoy battling wild pokemon to catch them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ though it would be nice if we could get back to Gen V era snappiness.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Yeah I can understand this view, but for me personally I think having some tools to set up and make battles easier could feel a lot more engaging, I just think Arceus went a bit too far in that direction with a very simple tool set.

I view it like using traps, bombs, and other gimmicks in Monster Hunter. A lot of traditionalists like to stick it out and just fight it out normally, because that is what they find engaging. To others mastering the game's toolset and manipulating the monster for easier hunts is what makes the game fun. I'm very much pro-options on this front, and I don't think investing in one precludes the other.

Gamefreak and the Pokemon company have been delivering great games that emphasize traditional battle and capture mechanics, and they're a solid foundation, but it doesn't mean there isn't room for it to grow and allow for more options for how you interact both inside and outside of battle.

See, but here I have a different issue. I do agree that it would be fun, but would it make sense in this setting? It made sense in Arceus because Pokémon were aggressive, dangerous, unknown monsters, so it made sense that you'd try to be as prepared as possible to fight them. And I'd love to have another Legends game that went even further with this, as you mention, to engage more with Pokémon outside of actual combat.

But here, people already know Pokémon are actually friendly and that you can bond with them without any need for traps or trickery, just through good ol' Pokémon battles. So why would you need to use traps or tools of any kind? It's just a completely different setting and perspective, so I understand why they're not doing that kind of stuff here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's hailing!
XXX is buffeted by the hail!
The opposing YYY is buffeted by the hail!
The hail continues to fall.

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

That F-Grade combat design/pacing needed fixing 2 decades ago. Leave it to GF to add many more years instead.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
See, but here I have a different issue. I do agree that it would be fun, but would it make sense in this setting? It made sense in Arceus because Pokémon were aggressive, dangerous, unknown monsters, so it made sense that you'd try to be as prepared as possible to fight them. And I'd love to have another Legends game that went even further with this, as you mention, to engage more with Pokémon outside of actual combat.

But here, people already know Pokémon are actually friendly and that you can bond with them without any need for traps or trickery, just through good ol' Pokémon battles. So why would you need to use traps or tools of any kind? It's just a completely different setting and perspective, so I understand why they're not doing that kind of stuff here.

Pokemon has always been a game mechanic driven universe imo. There's really no reason they can't construct the lore to justify the game mechanics and not the other way around imo. There are plenty of aggressive territorial animals that exist in nature alongside skittish ones that run away when they sense humans nearby. Incorporating that into the nature of Pokemon would give them more personality and make them stand apart on the field more imo.

Anyways by the same logic why would Pokemon in the existing games attack you when you run into them if they're friendly? Why do you have to capture them in balls to befriend them. Sounds like traps and trickery to me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

I view it like using traps, bombs, and other gimmicks in Monster Hunter. A lot of traditionalists like to just fight it out normally, because that is what they find engaging. To others mastering the game's toolset and manipulating the monster for easier hunts is what makes the game fun. I'm very much pro-options on this front, and I don't think investing in one precludes the other.

The problem is that capture is an all or nothing situation. There is no intermediate state between capturing and not capturing. As you said, preparation in MH makes the combat easier, not makes you just avoid the combat. That makes it complicated to balance.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Pokemon has always been a game mechanic driven universe imo. There's really no reason they can't construct the lore to justify the game mechanics and not the other way around imo. There are plenty of aggressive territorial animals that exist in nature alongside skittish ones that run away when they sense humans nearby. Incorporating that into the nature of Pokemon would give them more personality and make them stand apart on the field more imo.

Anyways by the same logic why would Pokemon in the existing games attack you when you run into them if they're friendly? Why do you have to capture them in balls to befriend them. Sounds like traps and trickery to me.

That's also a fair point, yes.

But, as it stands, and the way Scarlet and Violet are framed, I do think it makes sense that you're not "hunting" Pokémon, and instead just bonding with them. Maybe for the next one, who knows?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Everything about PLA was bad. Easily the worst Pokémon spinoff I can recall playing and the series has some spotty entries. If the supposed QoL features had to die to make a better game then that's an easy trade.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that capture is an all or nothing situation. There is no intermediate state between capturing and not capturing. As you said, preparation in MH makes the combat easier, not makes you just avoid the combat. That makes it complicated to balance.

I agree it's complicated, but it's definitely not impossible, and imo it doesn't need to be all or nothing. You can make it prohibitively hard to capture high level Pokemon to the point where yolo throwing out a Pokeball doesn't work, but still let the player have options to use the out of battle mechanics to improve their odds.

Even in the simplistic approach taken in Arceus for example if you throw your Pokemon at a Pokemon's back you get first strike initiative. This is a pretty common thing in JRPGs where you can attack on the field first to gain an advantage in battle. Extending that I could easily see throwing out bait or berries to paralyze Pokemon, put them to sleep, or pacify them to give you an advantage in battle so when you do actually engage them you have a better chance of capturing them or winning the battle.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I thought this site defending the always-on Exp Share was bad but defending the gameplay being slower is just baffling.
Nobody is defending that the text should be slow. But that an RPG should inform you that a member of your team has gained a new move in a system where you can only have four? Yes, I think that is positive.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Generalzation
They will never change because they have defenders that dont matter the shit they do they will always lick their ass (you can dislike arceus, but there was some really great qol improvements that would benefit the main series, but is not even this, its years and years of taking away some good elements and this shit being defended) and they sell like hotcakes.
They are not a good studio and they dont deserve the millions they sell.

Its a pity but it is what it is.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

I enjoy grinding random battles in JRPGs, yeah. Especially in Pokémon because I like using amd training my Pokémon, something you need battles to do. You could theoretically remove wild battles if you increased trainer battles to compensate, but PLA removed all of those as well. You didn't train your Pokémon at all, just fed them items out of a menu.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
They will never change because they have defenders that dobt matter the shit they do thdy will always lick they ass and they sell like hotcakes.
They are not a good studio and they dont deserve the millions they sell.

Its a pity but it is what it is.
I have planty of issues with pokemob, but not allowing people to skipp battles by just sneaking behind a pokemon and throwing a pokaball isnt one of them.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder in a bigger, more connected world if they'll still have enough world interaction.

Pokemon has been trying to address that for a bit, with HMs/RideMonsters and Arceus went a step further with allowing you to mine resources/pester, lure and catch mons/avoid hazards and attacks in the overworld. And just send out your mons just because.

I am curious what they can do to replace those features to avoid the "empty, nothing to do" critique of some open worlds. Perhaps the treasure hunting and some form of Trainer Tools to allow various ways to interact with the world.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"Everybody that doesn't think like me is licking ass" is not a good level to discuss anything IMO

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this site defending the always-on Exp Share was bad but defending the gameplay being slower is just baffling.
It's really not at all about "defending gameplay being slow" it's "the way Arceus made things fast has some downsides which have significant impacts on the way a different game with a very different set of mechanics and objectives would function".

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
So no deep at all is better if it's fast? Well, I guess that everybody has their tastes about what it's "QoL"
I can't speak to competitive - I imagine abilities are important there. But if we are talking single player, abilities add nothing except to slow down an already too slow battle system. Which they don't even need to. Modernizing their UI a bit would eliminate a ton of text-based slow-down.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy grinding random battles in JRPGs, yeah. Especially in Pokémon because I like using amd training my Pokémon, something you need battles to do. You could theoretically remove wild battles if you increased trainer battles to compensate, but PLA removed all of those as well. You didn't train your Pokémon at all, just fed them items out of a menu.

Yeah I don't think anyone is advocating that every game should be designed exactly like PLA. For me the happy middle ground is to still have traditional trainer battles + gyms with the existing battle system, but also add some better options for interacting with wild Pokemon to spice them up and make it feel like they're actually present in the world.

In general I just find wild Pokemon battles to be redundant for the last few gens at least. They give so little EXP, which is not a limiting resource in general since even just fighting trainers and swapping out my team regularly I was always consistently over-levelled. I just find them inherently uninteresting from a gameplay stand point as you are likely going to just blow them up instantly.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I can't speak to competitive - I imagine abilities are important there. But if we are talking single player, abilities add nothing except to slow down an already too slow battle system. Which they don't even need to. Modernizing their UI a bit would eliminate a ton of text-based slow-down.

Exactly, the issue is the UI, not the abilities. They just have to make the text a bit faster, remove some unnecessary information that could be provided in many other ways (through icons, graphics or whatever) and that's it. No need to remove anything from the core gameplay, just to streamline what's already there.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
You say "as well," but Arceus didn't remove wild battles. They're still there.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Skipping this.

Arceus is the first Pokémon game I have completed in over a decade and the reason I do so was that it was a dream list of QoL features…

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you focusing on the bosses? There are barely any of them and they take up a small percentage of game time. The average player is probably going to be engaging a lot in the turn-based battle systems just from attempting to catch and fight wild Pokemon, even if it's not necessarily always optimal to do so, which was my point.
guess my 5 years old nephew is not average player then. Average players wouldnt bother fighting and just throw the balls

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't think anyone is advocating that every game should be designed exactly like PLA. For me the happy middle ground is to still have traditional trainer battles + gyms with the existing battle system, but also add some better options for interacting with wild Pokemon to spice them up and make it feel like they're actually present in the world.

Careful now, if you come in here with that "middle ground" talk you're liable to get chewed out. ITT: You either Love Arceus or you love Traditional. Can't have any kind of mix-match for these two systems because it's impossible.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Careful now, if you come in here with that "middle ground" talk you're liable to get chewed out. ITT: You either Love Arceus or you love Traditional. Can't have any kind of mix-match for these two systems because it's impossible.
It kinda is impossible unfortunately, which is why the games are so different.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
But that capture system *is* a substitute of combat. It is made so that you don't have to engage in combat to capture Pokémon. They are mutually exclusive from a design point of view. That's why catch rates are drastically different in Arceus.

If you can capture a Pokemon just throwing a ball, there is no point in battle. If in the other hand is so hard to capture them outside battle, there is no point in throwing balls.

thats the dissagreement, alot of us dont think you should be able to catch a pokemon at or above your leval without fighting it first in a traditional pokemon game.

As I said in another Poke thread:

I want the ability to throw a ball because it just feels smooth and right, but I don't like the idea of it not initiating a battle. Basically, throwing a ball should act exactly like if you spent your first turn in battle throwing a ball. You might get lucky and catch it, or the mon breaks out, you throw out your first mon, and the enemy gets a free attack during the first round. Then, the battle commences with round 2.

I hope you would both agree that this is doesn't destroy the turn-based gameplay you are afraid will be affected. I also think being able to fast-switch lead pokemon and choose one to throw out to initiate a battle should return. It just feels better as a player then to just have wild pokemon run into you with no agency.

I do agree that the other items to help distract and capture pokemon don't really need to return though, unless they feed into the open world engine. Smoke bombs, for example, could be a cool way to do repels, but it might have unforeseen consequences for other things so I don't mind if they are removed.

I REALLY loved the old method of training pokemon without EXP share. Basically just having a weak mon lead and then immediately switching out to ensure they get XP. I get that it sounds ridiculous and tedious, but spending that time levelling up that mon really endeared me to them. It made the decision to switch out members of my party a tough one because I had invested so much into each member. I bled with them and loved them. Sadly, with Exp Share that is lost.

There has to be a better way to recapture that feeling. although Arceus definitely did not do that as individual mons were even less important than mainline games.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in another Poke thread:

I hope you would both agree that this is doesn't destroy the turn-based gameplay you are afraid will be affected. I also think being able to fast-switch lead pokemon and choose one to throw out to initiate a battle should return. It just feels better as a player then to just have wild pokemon run into you with no agency.

I do agree that the other items to help distract and capture pokemon don't really need to return though, unless they feed into the open world engine. Smoke bombs, for example, could be a cool way to do repels, but it might have unforeseen consequences for other things so I don't mind if they are removed.

I REALLY loved the old method of training pokemon without EXP share. Basically just having a weak mon lead and then immediately switching out to ensure they get XP. I get that it sounds ridiculous and tedious, but spending that time levelling up that mon really endeared me to them. It made the decision to switch out members of my party a tough one because I had invested so much into each member. I bled with them and loved them. Sadly, with Exp Share that is lost.

There has to be a better way to recapture that feeling. although Arceus definitely did not do that as individual mons were even less important than mainline games.
im fine with that, and losing your first turn is fair, epically if it uses the traditional formula, so very very low chance of it working when a pokemon is at full health.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
im fine with that, and losing your first turn is fair, epically if it uses the traditional formula, so very very low chance of it working when a pokemon is at full health.

Yep, it should be the same as if you tried to throw out a ball on the first turn of a battle. Just this way, it feels better and has that snappiness that a lot of Arceus players love.

Foxisdabest

Banned
May 8, 2022
Not being able to sneak around and just throw the pokeball is the biggest deal for me. If i have to start the battle like usual, it's a deal breaker and i won't be playing it.

HerotheChosen

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 22, 2022
thats the dissagreement, alot of us dont think you should be able to catch a pokemon at or above your leval without fighting it first in a traditional pokemon game.
You can do that in the "traditional" games too if you get lucky though. Net Ball, Dusk Ball, Repeat Ball, Quick Ball etc etc are all pretty OP

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People be worshipping starting a battle with a ball throw like it's anything more than DQ11 or SMTV letting you get a smack in to start a fight lol

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
People be worshipping starting a battle with a ball throw like it's anything more than DQ11 or SMTV letting you get a smack in to start a fight lol
yup in a traditional, battle focused pokemon game, it would never be more than a very low chance to skip the battle, if anything it would be better the vast majority of the time to throw your pokemon out over using a pokaball.