• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Whoa, reminds me of The Great Machine from Brian K. Vaughan's comic Ex Machina

APR040356._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I dunno, feel like it's more impressive that we can fly hundreds of people around at the same time for literally 16 hours straight to the other side of the planet

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Title should be 'mankind finally stupid enough to tie 4 miniature jet engines to ones body'.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Really, every douchebag in the world strapping on one of these things to get around would be a nightmare. Drunk flying, accidents, and running out of fuel all become near-100%-fatal events

Oct 26, 2017

This seems to be misdated by around 5 years according to other sources, it wasn't a US Army project until 1959 (note the US Army branding on the side), and the first public demos were in 1961, including one over the Niagra Falls. Even so, it's funny to hear people saying 'this was only in science fiction, until now!' for 60 years straight.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool thing about future man-capable electric drones is that the passenger weight will reduce by about ten pounds every time I fly.

Because I will crap myself.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
If you wanna feel like flying you could just get a Powered Paraglider.
Apparently doesn't even require a licence in the US.
Honestly, I always wanted one.

Flying above the suburbs in which I live is unlikely to be looked upon nicely though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Reminded me of the absolutely mad story behind the development of the original jetpack. The Dollop did a fun episode on it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Imagine the environmental impact it would have if everyone were burning jet fuel individually all the time...

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
oh my god, is this real???

edit: if 2:28 is real then we're living in the god damn future
this video is making it look pretty fake.
everything looks kinda off. camera work looks like some cheap scripted reality show.
and why no POV footage?
they start a little POV section but cut right when he is taking of.

and is he controlling the thing himself? if he is, then how does he controll it?
looks more like something controlled from the ground with an Remote.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Since you talk about the romantic feel of flight.
You would get an infinitely better "feel" of flight on a paraglider than on a jetpack like that which makes a ton of noise and isn't going to be nearly as controllable as a paraglider. Plus it's a lot similar to bird flight in how it works, and given decent weather you can stay in air for as long as you physically can pilot the paraglider.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this video is making it look pretty fake.
everything looks kinda off. camera work looks like some cheap scripted reality show.
and why no POV footage?
they start a little POV section but cut right when he is taking of.

and is he controlling the thing himself? if he is, then how does he controll it?
looks more like something controlled from the ground with an Remote.

It took me under a minute of searching and skimming to find out that the throttle controls are strapped to one of his hands and the wing is controlled using only his body movement.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

2:28 onwards was crazy awesome and instantly reminded me of this scene (still one of the best superhero movie scenes, no matter what you think of the movie).

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
In 2009 when Gamescom was opened for the first time I attended the opening. They had a Stormtrooper (for whatever reason) come down from the roof of the building with a jetpack to bring the Key to open the doors. They gave out earplugs to people standing in the vicinity but for some reason I didn't get them. So when that dude landed his jetpack about 5 meters away from me I legit thought my eardrums would burst. I didn't even hear anything anymore, I just felt pressure and vibration in my ears. Couldn't hear much for good 2 hours afterwards.

Make a quiet jetpack please is what I'm saying.