• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Human Revolution was up there in crafting a great soundtrack but Mankind Divided pushes it to new heights. I'm genuinely stunned at the amount of polish there is in this soundtrack and I discover something new every day. The official soundtrack isn't even a fraction of what the game offers!

I loved the game and even I am ashamed at how little I noticed in my playthrough. It's a huge game.

The action phase music is much more high-impact. That track goes HARD

But the ambient sounds of Mankind Divided is as lovely as it gets, just listen to this. It happens after the meetign with ARC leader on your way to be extracted, it really sells the shock after a critical event happened

The Atrium of the Palisade Blade is so incredible too. This is the calm before the storm as you explore this small hub from the System Rift DLC on your way to infiltrate the Blade. Honestly one of my fav moments in the game, System Rift is a marvel of level design for me

The whole playlist is a pleasure to listen to and will carry you far https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYFEK0EdxB0rAdRAoBPODAdhX14Gwibq8

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is like the 3rd Mankind Divided topic in the last week, I really need to get around to finishing it, I've only ever played past the intro section.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the game and even I am ashamed at how little I noticed in my playthrough. It's a huge game.

Yeah, it sounds like quality alone, but how good of a soundtrack is it if it's barely noticeable in game. It's kind of an odd thing where I'm not sure if it's a mixing issue or the OST is just too tame.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I liked Human Revolution's soundtrack just a tad more than Mankind Divided but they're both two of my favorite modern day game soundtracks. I put an ambient mix of both games on whenever I need to chill out at work and get stuff done.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The Icarus Main Theme from the first game is one of the best. I know this thread is about the second game, but it's just so good.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I don't buy music on CDs anymore, but my last two purchases were the physical copies of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. I absolutely love both soundtracks and still regularly listen to them both.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving all the Deus Ex threads of late.

Such a shame what happened with sales :(

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
Finish the fight, Eidos :(
Yup MD soundtrack is ace. Could listen for hours the various hub themes and Adam's apartment BGMs.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really remember any particular tracks from Mankind Divided, which disappointed me after how much I enjoyed Human Revolution's OST.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
But tell me you wouldnt rather spotify the Blade Runner soundtrack over this instead

/s love this and Human Revolution OST

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Well I worked on the game, but pretty much when I see these threads I have to point out we did Breach (the online component) with the music scored by Ed Harrison (@00edit) of NeoTokyo fame...and it's all on soundcloud (or I suppose youtube if thats your jam). The music is awesome.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
If this is a Michael McCann appreciation thread I'd like to share my love of his XCOM: EU/EW music. As a drummer, I absolutely love the use of big fat drums throughout its entirety. A lot of people think it sounds a lot like Deus Ex's music—too much maybe, which it does, but for me the war drums easily distinguish it.

The music of EU captures every aspect of XCOM: the mystery, the creepy, the desperation, the death, and the heroism. It sounds like struggle and battle. XCOM 2's music emphasizes sounds of heroism and triumph way too often for my liking, which I feel is especially off because the game escalates the direness and desperation (and cyberpunk) of the situation so much. It should be a much darker score than EU's if anything, but at times it sounds more like a superhero blockbuster.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the guy who did the amazing Neotokyo OST also working on Deus Ex:MD's OST? It's no wonder it turned out so good.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I loved Human Revolution so much but I could barely stomach a couple of hours in Mankind Divided, so I didn't get to experience these tracks.

It's tempting to give it another go just because of what's in this thread, but I bounced off it so hard initially. I've no idea why because HR was one of my top games of the decade. A shame we probably won't get the full story.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The Deus Ex soundtracks (HR and MD) are incredible. Michael McCann is easily one of the best game composers for me.

I love the way he does ambient, stress, combat and other variations that seamlessly blend in / out depending on the players actions. I know this is more of an audio editing thing than score.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
Fantastic games, fantastic soundtracks.
Even Deus Ex 1's OST is amazing to this day.

Here's hoping Eidos Montréal returns to this series sooner rather than later.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I like Human Revolution's soundtrack more (much more DX vibes), but MD's ambient music is fantastic. It's a pity that none of the great tracks other than TF29 (the debate ambient music in particular) made the soundtrack release, but I'm glad they're all back on Spotify.

If this is a Michael McCann appreciation thread I'd like to share my love of his XCOM: EU/EW music. As a drummer, I absolutely love the use of big fat drums throughout its entirety. A lot of people think it sounds a lot like Deus Ex's music—too much maybe, which it does, but for me the war drums easily distinguish it.

The music of EU captures every aspect of XCOM: the mystery, the creepy, the desperation, the death, and the heroism. It sounds like struggle and battle. XCOM 2's music emphasizes sounds of heroism and triumph way too often for my liking, which I feel is especially off because the game escalates the direness and desperation (and cyberpunk) of the situation so much. It should be a much darker score than EU's if anything, but at times it sounds more like a superhero blockbuster.

Wow, I forgot how much better EU/EW OST was over Xcom 2's. I'll have do a replay of XCOM 2 with the legacy soundtrack playing lol

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to jump into the Deus Ex games, but we're getting so close to Cyberpunk 2077. Thinking I should just wait it out.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to jump into the Deus Ex games, but we're getting so close to Cyberpunk 2077. Thinking I should just wait it out.
Whether you play them now or later, definitely play them and don't skip out on them. HR and MD are two of the best games from the past decade.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend seeking out the VladlenCry remix album for Mankind Divided - particularly if you want extended ambient tracks.
There are individual tracks on YouTube, but I haven't seen a playlist with them all. The whole album is something like 10 hours long.

Cyberpunk 2077 is nine months away.
The Deus Ex games are around 15-40 hours long depending on your play-style. There is plenty of time to play all of them to completion and take a long break before Cyberpunk 2077 is released.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the OST is amazing!

So sad this series has been put on ice in favour of fucking Marvel of all things

I do not want to wish for Avengers to bomb but...but...if they suceed, Eidos Montreal will be busy with those for years and years

Thank god at least CDP is making Cyberpunk game.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped playing midways into the second hub, I think it was during some library mission? I remember the AA solution on PC was pretty bad, and people complaining that the ending was shit soured me on the game.

Should I restart it?

EDIT: For reference, Human Revolution is one of my top 20 games of all time. Something about MD felt so limiting.

Last edited:

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Question. Why is it that I can never remember any of the music in MOST of these AAA non-japanes games? I don't understand. I mean, when I play Nier Automata, I remember all of the music (same with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Souls, etc.).

I played this game for 20 hours and cannot remember any music (even while I was playing the game).

Indie games do a fantastic job with their soundtracks, too, such as Celeste and Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge.

Why is this?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend seeking out the VladlenCry remix album for Mankind Divided - particularly if you want extended ambient tracks.
There are individual tracks on YouTube, but I haven't seen a playlist with them all. The whole album is something like 10 hours long.

Cyberpunk 2077 is nine months away.
The Deus Ex games are around 15-40 hours long depending on your play-style. There is plenty of time to play all of them to completion and take a long break before Cyberpunk 2077 is released.
That's exactly why I said I would rather wait. These days, it takes me over a year to complete a game that's about 30 hours long or more. I just can't invest in it like I used to. I would cheat myself & the devs of Deus Ex if I did that. I still hate myself for taking a year & a half to finish Nier Automata.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

great soundtrack but i think i enjoyed human revolutions ost a little bit more. mankind divided felt a little bit like a slightly worse imitation of human revolutions ost, but it was still great of course

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing midways into the second hub, I think it was during some library mission? I remember the AA solution on PC was pretty bad, and people complaining that the ending was shit soured me on the game.
Should I restart it?
EDIT: For reference, Human Revolution is one of my top 20 games of all time. Something about MD felt so limiting.
It's absolutely worth playing. There was a topic about the game recently that you might want to read:

As for the anti-aliasing, enable TAA but disable tessellation as that conflicts with it.
TAA blurs the image somewhat, but you can either use the game's own sharpening (very aggressive) or ReShade to fine-tune the post-TAA sharpening to your taste.
I think one of the things people were complaining about is that MSAA doesn't do a lot, while incurring a significant performance hit. That's just how it is in deferred rendering; nothing specific to DXMD.

That's exactly why I said I would rather wait. These days, it takes me over a year to complete a game that's about 30 hours long or more. I just can't invest in it like I used to. I would cheat myself & the devs of Deus Ex if I did that. I still hate myself for taking a year & a half to finish Nier Automata.
That's still enough time to finish one of them, but it must be rough to only have 30 minutes a week for games.

Question. Why is it that I can never remember any of the music in MOST of these AAA non-japanes games? I don't understand. I mean, when I play Nier Automata, I remember all of the music (same with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Souls, etc.).
I played this game for 20 hours and cannot remember any music (even while I was playing the game).
Indie games do a fantastic job with their soundtracks, too, such as Celeste and Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge.
Why is this?
"Catchy" tunes vs more cinematic/ambient music I suppose.
I wouldn't put NieR:Automata under the heading of "catchy" but it's certainly more "present" and quite unique - so it stands out.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's still enough time to finish one of them, but it must be rough to only have 30 minutes a week for games.
It's various things that get in the way. However, if a game actually grabs me, I will find a way to complete in time. The fear for me with Deus Ex is that I might not be hooked by it when I start & I'll slowly drop off. But if you & everyone else in this thread is telling me that is worth it, then that'll encourage me to stick with it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's various things that get in the way. However, if a game actually grabs me, I will find a way to complete in time. The fear for me with Deus Ex is that I might not be hooked by it when I start & I'll slowly drop off. But if you & everyone else in this thread is telling me that is worth it, then that'll encourage me to stick with it.
Human Revolution is probably the best starting point in that case.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Why is this?
You have no appreciation for atmospheric or ambient tracks?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the composer's stuff. I think his name was McCann?

He also did the music for the new X-Com.

Should I restart it?

Story-wise, the ending is pretty bleh because there's basically no payoff to any of the overarching narrative threads of the main story.

But the final mission is fucking awesome and I highly recommend it.

The game also has amazing sidequests, to the point where IMO the game is worth it for the sidequests alone.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
You have no appreciation for atmospheric or ambient tracks?
What? I definitely do. I am a huge fan of game music and non-game ambient stuff (Aphex, Boards of Canada, Global Communication, etc.), but I find it odd that I rarely remember any music from the vast vast majority of these western AAA games. I love ambient/atmospheric music. Believe me. It's what got me through all of my studying in veterinary school.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I played this game finally last year or so and it really was fantastic. I actually ended up liking it more than Human Revolution. Very underrated/overlooked I feel.

Pragmatist

May 30, 2019
Yes sir, Michael McCann absolutely hit a grandslam with the Mankind Divided soundtrack. The Utulek theme alone, with all of it's variations as it seamlessly weaves throughout, is legendary and fits the mood and theme of the level perfectly. Now I have to reinstall and play again.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there would be more games like that.

Story and character focus. Small open city. Beautiful art direction, graphics and soundtrack.