• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Hey! We weren't offered any money. This was just a decision because of limited resources and only having five people working full time on the team.

Glad the air is cleared. I'm beginning to wonder too if the PS5 is a little trickier to make multiplat gamess on?

More next-gen "time exclusive" patches just like Yakuza 7.

Get a Series Xbox and be done with it then. Even when the producer comes out and says it's because they are a small team you are still not convinced.

What makes you think I'm still not convinced? This was literally my only response in this thread prior to her responding.

That's not true but whatever.

Or perhaps more like "How's your experience developing for the Series S been?"

This is what I'd like to hear more about, from those who are actually working on the hardware

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's an excellent game. Bought it at launch for PS4 and Switch, will buy it tomorrow for my One X (payday woo) to support the devs.

Also the PS4 theme is aces as well. It calms me after work hah.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This I can answer! So fundamentally, and this isn't marketing speak, we made sure that every version of the game was one we were proud of and would be excited if it was player's only experience with the game. On PS4 and PS4 Pro, you get 1080p and 1620p at 60 fps (though being perfectly honest it goes between about 50 and 60 fps.) The game looks great on either, and you'll of course be able to play the PlayStation 4 version of the game on PlayStation 5 through backwards compatibility and have a great time.

That said, if you watch our trailer for the game that we put out at our initial console launch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TJwtuUEr8) you can see what type of game it is in motion - especially in the exterior areas, it's a beautiful game where the architecture really shines. The Series X version has pretty much maxed out settings - faster loads, rock solid 60 fps, max draw distance(!), and more. I especially want to highlight the draw distance. If you want to get the game on PlayStation 4, play it there, and have that be your experience, we'd love that. It's a wonderful version of the game that was in development for a long time and received a ton of love!!

The Xbox Series X version of the game will hopefully reach a new audience, and that new audience will see the same great game, just shining on more powerful hardware with all the bells and whistles.

tl;dr, we're very proud of all versions of MG.
That's sounds so awesome!! Max draw distances in a game like this is blowing my mind just based on the trailers haha. I remember having a good (if frustrating) time with games like the Witness and Antechamber (I think that was the name?), will definitely have to check this out. If I have a Series X coming, should I wait to play until it comes? Or should I just get started now?

General question- has the Series S held back your vision for this game in any way? As a developer supporting the platform I would be interested in your view (even if its not too deep in detail)
Or perhaps more like "How's your experience developing for the Series S been?"

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
General question- has the Series S held back your vision for this game in any way? As a developer supporting the platform I would be interested in your view (even if its not too deep in detail)

So, our game runs on low end to high end devices, from iPhone 6S all the way up to Xbox Series X. In terms of scalability we always knew that we would be able to hit Series S, but one of my favorite moments in development was realizing just how powerful it actually was (this was a bit before the public announcement.) Realizing that if you're playing on a 1080p or 1440p display, the game would look pretty much the same between Series S and Series X made me very, very happy, as I'm (and this is me personally, not representing the team or ANY studio I work with,) very much a fan of making sure people have lots of ways to experience games.

That said, I want to triple underscore that this isn't a news story saying "Xbox Series X|S launch title dev says games on Series S look the same as Series X outside of resolution," because every game is going to be different. I'm excitedly awaiting my Series X pre-order to arrive along with everyone else so I can see what cool stuff other devs have done on this hardware. For Manifold specifically, the devices are both really awesome.

---

Edit so I don't double post (sorry not a super frequent poster so I'm not 100% on etiquette, apologies of this means it's harder to find)

That's sounds so awesome!! Max draw distances in a game like this is blowing my mind just based on the trailers haha. I remember having a good (if frustrating) time with games like the Witness and Antechamber (I think that was the name?), will definitely have to check this out. If I have a Series X coming, should I wait to play until it comes? Or should I just get started now?

You can play now and your save will carry over! There are actually two completely separate routes through the game, so if you have an Xbox One or One X, play the game normally, and then launch it on November 10th with your Series X, you can go for the 0% route where you don't complete any of the core objectives, explore the architecture in a new way, and still experience everything the Series X version brings to the table.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So, our game runs on low end to high end devices, from iPhone 6S all the way up to Xbox Series X. In terms of scalability we always knew that we would be able to hit Series S, but one of my favorite moments in development was realizing just how powerful it actually was (this was a bit before the public announcement.) Realizing that if you're playing on a 1080p or 1440p display, the game would look pretty much the same between Series S and Series X made me very, very happy, as I'm (and this is me personally, not representing the team or ANY studio I work with,) very much a fan of making sure people have lots of ways to experience games.

That said, I want to triple underscore that this isn't a news story saying "Xbox Series X|S launch title dev says games on Series S look the same as Series X outside of resolution," because every game is going to be different. I'm excitedly awaiting my Series X pre-order to arrive along with everyone else so I can see what cool stuff other devs have done on this hardware. For Manifold specifically, the devices are both really awesome.
Good to hear, thanks!

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Scalability really is awesome and I promise it wasn't a gotcha. Thanks for clarifying and good luck with your launch

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It looks bad when people just assume stuff is moneyhatted and devs have to come forward and clarify things, maybe wait for more info before making assumptions and judging devs?
You tagged me and I said nor did anything you just said. I still think the situation is stupid, but until there's an actual explanation I'm not going to judge anyone about it. Maybe practice what you preach and don't assume things just because you felt the need to try to dunk on a bunch of users.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I liked puzzle games, but unfortunately, they're not my thing. Game looks visually amazing and while I have no intention of playing this, I did the next best thing and told my friend about this, who does like puzzle games, and he's now interested in playing this. :)

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Embarrassing start to the thread but fantastic to have a member of the dev team drop in. I hadn't heard of this game but it's on my radar now, looks neat. Looking forward to the Series X footage!

(Also interesting about Series S!)

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You tagged me and I said nor did anything you just said. I still think the situation is stupid, but until there's an actual explanation I'm not going to judge anyone about it. Maybe practice what you preach and don't assume things just because you felt the need to try to dunk on a bunch of users.
What do you mean by actual explanation? More than the one we already got?

Nov 1, 2017
funny to see everyone saying about MS moneyhating but forgets about sony doing the same with FFXVI, spider man DLC on avengers, deathloop, etc etc etc lol.

It's because of this. I think even the most fanatic fanboy here has to begrudgingly agree that exclusivity deals to keep content off of competing platforms is kind of a dick move however you look at it due it not benefitting the consumer in any way. So the only way it can be rationalised is by pointing at anything Microsoft does that could be vaguely misinterpreted as the same kind of exclusivity deal no matter how ridiculous it is so as to say "Look, they do it too! See!" As if two wrongs make a right. Luckily Microsoft caught so much well deserved shit for their Rise of the Tomb Raider shenanigans that they don't seem to be all that keen to pull those stunts anymore, thank god.

I actually love threads like this though cause it's great ignore list fodder. I've realised that by coming into threads like this once a week or so and spamming ignore on all the people who are so blatantly console warring makes Resetera a far more tolerable place to read about and discuss things. I mean this first page alone is a goldmine.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Luckily Microsoft caught so much well deserved shit for their Rise of the Tomb Raider shenanigans that they don't seem to be all that keen to pull those stunts anymore, thank god.

Are we ever going to see games based on ID Tech 8 engine and forward on PlayStation Consoles again? Storied Franchises like Doom and Wolfenstein?

I'd rather lose out on timed exclusives than losing out on old storied IP and game engines.

Last edited:

Syrenne

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What about Game Pass tho :P ?

Hey, we don't have any plans for Game Pass. Don't want to talk too much about this just so the news story doesn't get away from us or anything, but just to make sure expectations are set correctly. The game is cross-buy through Smart Delivery at $19.99 USD/equivalent

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
What do you mean by actual explanation? More than the one we already got?
We don't know why the situation is the way it is, because they're not allowed to say. We just know what it isn't: a paid exclusivity deal. Which wasn't even a thing I implied but somehow I got grouped with the people who did. It could be Sony's fault for all I know. The situation is stupid.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we ever going to see games based on ID Tech 8 engine and forward on PlayStation Consoles again? Storied Franchises like Doom and Wolfenstein?

I'd rather lose out on timed exclusives than losing out on old storied IP and game engines.

2 diff scenarios. what you rather lose out on is irrelevant. respectfully.

a studio being bought by MS does not equate to a Sony moneyhat

Syrenne

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to play! Syrenne if i toss an extra 20 onto the game price you mind letting me play a bit early? :P

If you pay the base $20 you can play now on any platform you'd like including Xbox One and One X - and the availability of the Series X|S version is only limited by how soon you can get your hands on the box :)

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know why the situation is the way it is, because they're not allowed to say. We just know what it isn't: a paid exclusivity deal. Which wasn't even a thing I implied but somehow I got grouped with the people who did. It could be Sony's fault for all I know. The situation is stupid.
  • The fact that our PlayStation answer is "stay tuned" comes from us, not any of our business partners. We don't want to talk about things until we have details and an announcement ready.

Its no one's fault. They are making a choice not to talk about it yet is all.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Already got it, not finished cos the puzzles hurt my tiny brain 🧠, but will jump back in when my Series X arrives. Appreciate all the work you put in during a pandemic!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair nobody will probably pay for exclusivity for this kind of game, it's very niche and not your typical exactly a system seller

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I'm gonna pick this up as well . Never heard of it. I guess angry xbox threads are actually good for something haha.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
we don't do timed exclusive games. just patches and upgrades
Sorry, I was referring to stuff like Deathloop and Ghostwire. You're correct that only Microsoft seems to be moneyhatting next-gen upgrades.
More next-gen "time exclusive" patches just like Yakuza 7.
Will be interesting to see what the responses to this timed exclusivity business are like..
Microsoft is so weird with what they're moneyhatting these days.
There will be mental gymnastics here too. Oh wait, already started I see.

Gating Next gen upgrades... Smh.
Phil "I don't like exclusives except when we get them" Spencer putting in work, yet again.

And I'm wrong seconds later. Sorry, Syrenne!
Lol. All of you are batting 0% right now.
eating-crow.jpg

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

---

Edit so I don't double post (sorry not a super frequent poster so I'm not 100% on etiquette, apologies of this means it's harder to find)

You can play now and your save will carry over! There are actually two completely separate routes through the game, so if you have an Xbox One or One X, play the game normally, and then launch it on November 10th with your Series X, you can go for the 0% route where you don't complete any of the core objectives, explore the architecture in a new way, and still experience everything the Series X version brings to the table.
All of this sounds awesome!! I have purchased the game :D

0% huh...

If you pay the base $20 you can play now on any platform you'd like including Xbox One and One X - and the availability of the Series X|S version is only limited by how soon you can get your hands on the box :)
"Xbox Series X|S launch title dev advocates breaking into MS HQ to steal prototypes of new consoles in order to play her games early"

:p

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This thread, if nothing else, was a fun social study on who actually reads a thread before inserting their $0.02.

Oct 27, 2017
Before you guys all assume something, maybe wait to get the facts first? Syrenne was gracious enough to come into the forums and explain the issue. Developers like them that are small and limited in funds needs our support by buying their game that they poured their heart & sole on. These games make the platform they are on special.

Seriously, this console war crap is bordering on North Korea vs South Korea conflict in the 50's and getting childish and idiotic. Who cares what console it's coming to first. Life isn't fair and you can't get your way all the time. If it comes to a platform you don't own first, oh well. Be patient and pre-order or buy it when it is available.

Syrenne, thank you very much on coming into the forums and clarifying the issue concerning the next gen console status on your game. I'm embarrassed to say that I never heard about this game before today and now I'm planning to buy it in the future (now on my wishlist) I can use more puzzle games to get my rusty old gears in my head working again. This game deserves a special place in everyone's library as I don't think we get puzzle games like these very often.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If anything, Sony paid capcom to release the game as fast as possible. Do you remember how that game even launched? What did Sony pay if they had to launch the game in that barebones state?

Wasn't it more the case that Capcom were quite tight with money at the time, so regardless of how it launched Sony still helped fund it.