• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pot...

Oh sure, maybe actual cash was not exchanged and it's just "financial arrangements" including marketing push.

But let's call a spade a spade.
Or they're a small team and they're doing xbox first since (maybe) it's easier to develop for or they don't have a ps5 dev kit yet. Instead of taking them for their word and applying some logic, you're just gonna assume this is a conspiracy and MS is money getting ports and then also paying the devs to lie about it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside the prioritization issue, Manifold Garden is an excellent puzzle game, one of those kinds of games where you wonder how on earth they even managed to make it because it screws with your conception of physical space so thoroughly. (I know William Chyr has a GDC talk that probably covers some of this, it's on my list!)

If you remember the puzzle game Antichamber, this gives off similar vibes, though Manifold Garden is very much its own thing. It's not without its issues (mostly stemming from the game explaining nothing to you explicitly, and how that can occasionally leave you wondering what to do next), but it's an easy game to recommend.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
giphy.gif

I smell some bans coming

Fingers crossed, they'll have been well-earned.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey! We weren't offered any money. This was just a decision because of limited resources and only having five people working full time on the team.
Don't worry. No need to explain yourself. Some Era people have a habit of getting on bandwagons, clutching at straws and then jumping to conclusions. All usually within seconds of a thread being posted. Nevermind, crow is served.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, just a few last bullet points here to help clear things up. I appreciate all the questions and discussion about the game! The Xbox Series X version of Manifold is something I was the project lead on and I'm super passionate about it. I can't wait until next week when we have footage and more details to show.

• We can't talk about the business realities such as why we're on Xbox first vs PlayStation, who authored what language, etc. I can however be clear - no deal was signed, nor money changed hands, regarding a next-gen upgrade policy. We were working on the Series X|S version, and it was ready for launch (in fact, it's already live for anyone with the hardware as of today.) No conspiracy theories here.
  • The fact that our PlayStation answer is "stay tuned" comes from us, not any of our business partners. We don't want to talk about things until we have details and an announcement ready.
  • While the contents of it may be redundant for many on this forum who keep up to date with how these programs work, we put together an FAQ about the Xbox console upgrade process in relation to Manifold Garden, as well as the Series X|S versions of the game, that you can find here. Again, hardcore industry followers aren't necessarily the target audience, but you can hopefully find something of value there!
Thanks for this. It's more effort than some of the posters in this thread deserve. You shouldn't have to defend against conspiracies but here we are. Come on Era, we better than this.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Football Manager: Accused of moneyhatting. Then, we just learned the developer didn't have a PS5 devkit.
Yakuza: People tried to distort what Imran Khan said so it looked like moneyhatting. The money involved was a marketing deal, nothing else.
Manifold Garden: moneyhatting! Then, the producer confirms there was no money involved and this is purely a resource decision.

When will we learn to not assume everything is "moneyhatting"?
When we move on from being a "must be first with my hot take before all the info is out" culture. I'm not sure that happens anytime soon though, we've been like that throughout recorded history.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Have Sony had timed patches or bought a whole publisher?

Anyway, will be interesting to see why the resources went to Xbox first, gamepass title? Either way all the best for the game launch.

sony bought SF5 exclusivity for an entire generation of consoles, sony bought destiny 1 and 2 dlcs exclusivitys for awhile.

while MS did it in the 360 generation with COD and other games, sony isn't an angel when it comes to moneyhating games.

EDIT: oh and about patches, theres a type of game in the last COD that is exclusive for PS4 for an entire year. or the FFVII remake that is timed exclusive too.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Football Manager: Accused of moneyhatting. Then, we just learned the developer didn't have a PS5 devkit.
Yakuza: People tried to distort what Imran Khan said so it looked like moneyhatting. The money involved was a marketing deal, nothing else.
Manifold Garden: moneyhatting! Then, the producer confirms there was no money involved and this is purely a resource decision.

When will we learn to not assume everything is "moneyhatting"?

Seriously, it's downright embrassing.
Hey all, just a few last bullet points here to help clear things up. I appreciate all the questions and discussion about the game! The Xbox Series X version of Manifold is something I was the project lead on and I'm super passionate about it. I can't wait until next week when we have footage and more details to show.

• We can't talk about the business realities such as why we're on Xbox first vs PlayStation, who authored what language, etc. I can however be clear - no deal was signed, nor money changed hands, regarding a next-gen upgrade policy. We were working on the Series X|S version, and it was ready for launch (in fact, it's already live for anyone with the hardware as of today.) No conspiracy theories here.
  • The fact that our PlayStation answer is "stay tuned" comes from us, not any of our business partners. We don't want to talk about things until we have details and an announcement ready.
  • While the contents of it may be redundant for many on this forum who keep up to date with how these programs work, we put together an FAQ about the Xbox console upgrade process in relation to Manifold Garden, as well as the Series X|S versions of the game, that you can find here. Again, hardcore industry followers aren't necessarily the target audience, but you can hopefully find something of value there!

We appreciate you chiming in here with us <3 but you dont have to explain yourself! Most people you're responding to are arguing in bad faith and shouldn't be given the time of day.

Looking forward to playing your game!

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Thank you.

I'll deffo check out your game.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the detailed explanation and transparency, Syrenne. You are too good for this forum lol.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

You don't have to.

Some people don't deserve an explanation as detailed as this one

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 version runs at 60fps? I'm not sure how boosted resolution is worth the ado.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Cf my edit, what the Manifold Garden rep is saying says it all
Can't talk about PS5 patch.

"Stay tuned".

Smh

Literally, for the record:
Pot...

Oh sure, maybe actual cash was not exchanged and it's just "financial arrangements" including marketing push.

But let's call a spade a spade.
Stay tuned for PS5 updates as we can't really talk about that up until a random date in the future that's probably six months from now but that's just a coincidence!!!!
It looks even worse when the dev has to clarify things twice, because folks thought she was lying.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Can't imagine being in the business and personally coming here to explain something and then basically being called a liar lol.

No wonder industry peeps on here end up running for the hills...

This new gen got everyone seeing things!

4jWpmZE.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside the prioritization issue, Manifold Garden is an excellent puzzle game, one of those kinds of games where you wonder how on earth they even managed to make it because it screws with your conception of physical space so thoroughly. (I know William Chyr has a GDC talk that probably covers some of this, it's on my list!)

If you remember the puzzle game Antichamber, this gives off similar vibes, though Manifold Garden is very much its own thing. It's not without its issues (mostly stemming from the game explaining nothing to you explicitly, and how that can occasionally leave you wondering what to do next), but it's an easy game to recommend.

Yeah, really enjoyed my time with the game and was insanely impressed by how clever the puzzles were. My favourite thing about it was exploring the world. Something the game deserves credit for is the secrets and different ways to discover things. Without giving too much away there's some really genius ways to progress and discover the world. Definitely worth playing by anyone who liked The Talos Principle, The Witness, Antichamber, Standpoint etc.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, really enjoyed my time with the game and was insanely impressed by how clever the puzzles were. My favourite thing about it was exploring the world. Something the game deserves credit for is the secrets and different ways to discover things. Without giving too much away there's some really genius ways to progress and discover the world. Definitely worth playing by anyone who liked The Talos Principle, The Witness, Antichamber, Standpoint etc.
Have you done the 0% run? That is really cool.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 version runs at 60fps? I'm not sure how boosted resolution is worth the ado.

This I can answer! So fundamentally, and this isn't marketing speak, we made sure that every version of the game was one we were proud of and would be excited if it was player's only experience with the game. On PS4 and PS4 Pro, you get 1080p and 1620p at 60 fps (though being perfectly honest it goes between about 50 and 60 fps.) The game looks great on either, and you'll of course be able to play the PlayStation 4 version of the game on PlayStation 5 through backwards compatibility and have a great time.

That said, if you watch our trailer for the game that we put out at our initial console launch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TJwtuUEr8) you can see what type of game it is in motion - especially in the exterior areas, it's a beautiful game where the architecture really shines. The Series X version has pretty much maxed out settings - faster loads, rock solid 60 fps, max draw distance(!), and more. I especially want to highlight the draw distance. If you want to get the game on PlayStation 4, play it there, and have that be your experience, we'd love that. It's a wonderful version of the game that was in development for a long time and received a ton of love!!

The Xbox Series X version of the game will hopefully reach a new audience, and that new audience will see the same great game, just shining on more powerful hardware with all the bells and whistles.

tl;dr, we're very proud of all versions of MG.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
sony bought SF5 exclusivity for an entire generation of consoles, sony bought destiny 1 and 2 dlcs exclusivitys for awhile.

while MS did it in the 360 generation with COD and other games, sony isn't an angel when it comes to moneyhating games.

EDIT: oh and about patches, theres a type of game in the last COD that is exclusive for PS4 for an entire year. or the FFVII remake that is timed exclusive too.

Sony helped fund the development of SFV though, different story.

Usually the market leader has the pick of timed exclusivity with games, not upgrade patches. Anyway, I'll leave it there.

Sounds like fantastic work on all versions Syrenne.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I attempted it very early on when it first released but it wasn't fully fleshed out. Now that it's fully embedded in the game and works perfectly I might have to go back and give it an official shot. It really blew me away that it was even possible when I first played it.
It blew my mind how it all came together. Manifold is a truly amazing experience.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Game looks cool, first I'm hearing of it. Will check it out at launch.

Embarrassing thread as always.

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
Also, you all realize that most of you are the reason why devs don't come around here very often. It's one thing to ask questions and even not agree with them, but it's another to be aggressive and downright mean. Grow up, don't be an embarrassment.

Staff Post

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Official Staff Communication
Everyone, we have the good fortune to have a member of the actual dev team for the game in the thread to interact with the community. Please refrain from baseless accusations, claims of money-hatting or anything else that is just based on your gut feeling. Going forward inappropriate posts will be actioned accordingly.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Sony helped fund the development of SFV though, different story.

Usually the market leader has the pick of timed exclusivity with games, not upgrade patches. Anyway, I'll leave it there.

Sounds like fantastic work on all versions Syrenne.
Did they help fund ff16 and cod and every other timed deal they made ?

You dont see those threads ending up like this . Its only natural , people will get mad when a company they dont prefer has timed exclusive content .

It seems lately tho that more and more when it is "assumed" ms is doing it , that the threads turn much more hostile.

Aug 23, 2018
Thread is fucking embarrassing, and not surprising given how much nerd rage I've seen in the Yakuza threads. Developers don't have infinite amounts of money to push out free upgrades to multiple platforms that release during a once in a lifetime pandemic.

Maybe MS was on to something more than just "PR SPEAK!!!" with smart delivery when designing their next gen console.

Deleted member 78123

Banned
Aug 16, 2020
People love to attack Microsoft here, huh.

Anyway, great news! Series S continues to prove it will be handle next gen games at the same level of detail and perfomance, but at lower resolution. :)

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Syrenne Are you able to comment on your initial statement

Was this choice because migrating/upgrading the assets on Xbox consoles is easier/requires less than PS4>PS5?
Again, no competently run business can answer this question. They arent going to make any statements of personal preference or that potentially make one of their partners look bad.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

I thank all the drama that brought so many people here to this thread who clearly have no interest in the game. Because I just checked out the (PS4) trailer and this looks so cool!! I've never heard of this, but will definitely check it out now, if Smart Delivery will just carry it over without any effort. Thanks for taking the time to do this and clearing up our confusion too :)

??? I'm still laughing at people not believing about Yakuza 7 being a timed exclusive.
??? I'm still laughing at people believing that MS paid for 112 days of patch exclusivity. (Like at least make it a nice even number of months. March 10th or something. Unless RGG needed more time to make the pat- oh. hmm.. )

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This I can answer! So fundamentally, and this isn't marketing speak, we made sure that every version of the game was one we were proud of and would be excited if it was player's only experience with the game. On PS4 and PS4 Pro, you get 1080p and 1620p at 60 fps (though being perfectly honest it goes between about 50 and 60 fps.) The game looks great on either, and you'll of course be able to play the PlayStation 4 version of the game on PlayStation 5 through backwards compatibility and have a great time.

That said, if you watch our trailer for the game that we put out at our initial console launch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3TJwtuUEr8) you can see what type of game it is in motion - especially in the exterior areas, it's a beautiful game where the architecture really shines. The Series X version has pretty much maxed out settings - faster loads, rock solid 60 fps, max draw distance(!), and more. I especially want to highlight the draw distance. If you want to get the game on PlayStation 4, play it there, and have that be your experience, we'd love that. It's a wonderful version of the game that was in development for a long time and received a ton of love!!

The Xbox Series X version of the game will hopefully reach a new audience, and that new audience will see the same great game, just shining on more powerful hardware with all the bells and whistles.

Thanks for the info - I think this thread is the first time I've seen the game and it looks interesting so I'm happy to check it out even via backwards compatibility. I wonder if PS5 boost mode will do anything for the game. For me, the faster loads is the bigger deal on the next-gen versions of games.

Aug 23, 2018

Thank you for your replies here, this is the first time I've seen a trailer for your game and it looks lovely! It invokes some Witness vibes which is great, can't wait to try it