• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Out on the three platforms.

Has a deluxe version on PSN, includes a dynamic theme by Truant Pixel and the soundtrack.

Manifold Garden Deluxe Edition

Rediscover everything with the Manifold Garden Deluxe Edition. Experience the award-winning game, lose yourself in the soundtrack by composer Laryssa Okada, and customize with a PS4 Dynamic Theme created by Truant Pixel. The Deluxe Edition Includes - Manifold Garden PS4 PS5 - Manifold Garden...

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Waiting for performance impressions so I can choose between Switch and PS4.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this anything like Anitchamber? Those are the vibes I got from it.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for performance impressions so I can choose between Switch and PS4.

Hey! I'll let other users give their unbiased impressions but it's a pretty stable 60 at PS4 (base and Pro) and a pretty stable 30 on Switch! The only times it should dip are things like loading screens and when you're walking through an isolated hallway and things are heavily loading.

Let me know if anyone else has any questions about the console launch! This project was my baby for years.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey! I'll let other users give their unbiased impressions but it's a pretty stable 60 at PS4 (base and Pro) and a pretty stable 30 on Switch! The only times it should dip are things like loading screens and when you're walking through an isolated hallway and things are heavily loading.

Let me know if anyone else has any questions about the console launch! This project was my baby for years.

Ooh it's 60 on PS4?! That tempts me towards that then. The HD Rumble makes the Switch version tempting though - I'm a big fan of that...

Thanks for the heads up by the way - didn't want to bother you with technical questions on Twitter :)

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good to hear that its a stable 30 on the Switch. This game has been on my list since I saw the trailer a while back.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Not the best first person perspective puzzler I've ever played, but much better than the other recent similar release Superliminal

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Finally. I've been waiting on this one ever since it was announced. Will buy in the weekend when i have added money to my wallet.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I've played for a bit and I'm really liking it so far. The recursive nature of it all is just so freeing, it's just inviting exploration. It's awe inspiring.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Everyone needs to check this out. The game is truly incredible.

It's also beautiful. No videos will do it justice - but this game really REALLY shines at 4K and gets more and more abstract and stunning as you progress through the game. The subtle use of colour is amazing.

This game really is art and the puzzles are hugely satisfying.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished two worlds and so far I think the game is more exploration than actual puzzle solving. Sure, there are puzzles, but they are not really challenging. At least not yet.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoying it so far. I'd only warn those who have motion sickness because I'm pretty sure it made me feel nauseous.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, had no idea there was a PS4 version. Looks like that Switch marketing worked. Bought it on Switch but I would have got the PS4 had I known, especially the deluxe edition.

It's fun so far, I've always got time for games like this.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ah, had no idea there was a PS4 version. Looks like that Switch marketing worked. Bought it on Switch but I would have got the PS4 had I known, especially the deluxe edition.

It's fun so far, I've always got time for games like this.

What's performance like? How's the HD Rumble?

It's also beautiful. No videos will do it justice - but this game really REALLY shines at 4K and gets more and more abstract and stunning as you progress through the game. The subtle use of colour is amazing.

If it weren't for HD Rumble, the choice would be obvious for me - I need the sharper lines that 4K provides.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If it weren't for HD Rumble, the choice would be obvious for me - I need the sharper lines that 4K provides.
I played it on PC at native 4k - it's a significant difference over lower resolutions because of the wireframe art style and draw distances. Really brings out the best in the art style to the point that I'd suggest just play it at whatever way gives you the highest resolution possible. Assume all versions are 60fps.

Oct 26, 2017

Sorry for the derail, but are you the producer of the same Scale made by Steve Swink that started as a crowdfunded game forever ago?

Edit: I ask because I backed that game and figured it was vaporware. Not angry or anything, just curious to know if it's still being worked on in some form.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I played it on PC at native 4k - it's a significant difference over lower resolutions because of the wireframe art style and draw distances. Really brings out the best in the art style to the point that I'd suggest just play it at whatever way gives you the highest resolution possible. Assume all versions are 60fps.

Switch is 30fps, and lines look a little fuzzy. If it weren't for the promise of thought-out rumble implementation, I'd go for PS4 without thinking on it more.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

I get my new TV next week, might grab this to try out 4K lol

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017

Ok, bought, this seems exactly like my wheelhouse

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Sounds great! Any impressions on the HDR implementation, if any?

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa I can get this for 8 CAD using my Epic Store coupon. Is this one of those no-brainers?

I loved The Witness but had trouble getting into Antichamber. Is this more like one or the other, or totally different?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorry to be a stuck record, but anyone got any impressions of the HD Rumble implementation on Switch?

Syrenne

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the derail, but are you the producer of the same Scale made by Steve Swink that started as a crowdfunded game forever ago?

Edit: I ask because I backed that game and figured it was vaporware. Not angry or anything, just curious to know if it's still being worked on in some form.

Hey! Yeah, that's me! I haven't worked on the project in a couple of years so it's not really my place to talk about its current status, sorry! I will say that in my time with the team they were very passionate and were actively developing it, and the content I played was fun and I hope it ships some day.

I've asked to have "SCALE" removed from my Verified Tag here but alas, I haven't heard back.

To answer above questions:
- No HDR implementation at launch. We're always investigating and the louder people are about potential features the easier it is to begin a cost/benefit analysis.
- Xbox One X will get you the highest resolution if you have every console and want the best looking version on consoles. With that being said, we're immensely proud of the game on all platforms, and PS4 Pro and Xbox One X in practice look extremely similar. You most likely wouldn't notice a difference unless you were looking at multiple versions of the game in a day, like the dev team would.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
It was my number two game last year and would have been at the top if I hadn't played Outer Wilds at the end of the year. If you're into that sort of puzzle game (in the ballpark of The Witness, The Talos Principle, etc.), it's really, really, really great. I played it on PC, so I can't speak to the performance anywhere else.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
What's performance like? How's the HD Rumble?

Given it a bit more of a play now, so I can give impressions.

Playing it entirely docked, honestly, it's great. As others have said, it's obviously going to have the lowest resolution and frame rate. It's stable and distant objects and structures are visible with detail naturally improving as you get closer. No Pokémon SwSh popin here. The main issue is that lines can get jaggy up close which, given that the art style is heavily line based, which might be off-putting. That said, you'll be spending a lot of time in motion in this game so it's less notable.

As for the rumble, it's...subtle, but frequent. That's the best way to describe it. Walking and running causes no rumble, but changing gravity, moving items (including clattering a cube on each stair while running up some) and running water all give a little rumble. One thing I've noted is that falling from a small height gives the exact same feedback as falling from a great height. The audio makes note of you falling from a massive height, but there's no rumble feedback from you dropping, only the same you get when landing after running off a smaller ledge. It's not an issue, just something I noted.

Oh, I completely forgot that it does become more constant when you're at the end of each level and things are up and running. It's not much more intense, but it is more frequent, which is good.

EDIT: Right, I've finished it now. First of all, what a trip. Great game. I'm all for PSVR version if that ever comes out.

As for performance on the Switch, it does dip a bit towards the more densely packed areas at the end. There's also one bit of big pop-in when heading towards the final area of the game, but that's about it. Otherwise, a nice and stable game.

Well, stable in the FPS department. It's still an absolute trip otherwise.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Hey! Yeah, that's me! I haven't worked on the project in a couple of years so it's not really my place to talk about its current status, sorry! I will say that in my time with the team they were very passionate and were actively developing it, and the content I played was fun and I hope it ships some day.

I've asked to have "SCALE" removed from my Verified Tag here but alas, I haven't heard back.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! And it looks like you got your tag updated as well.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Given it a bit more of a play now, so I can give impressions.

Playing it entirely docked, honestly, it's great. As others have said, it's obviously going to have the lowest resolution and frame rate. It's stable and distant objects and structures are visible with detail naturally improving as you get closer. No Pokémon SwSh popin here. The main issue is that lines can get jaggy up close which, given that the art style is heavily line based, which might be off-putting. That said, you'll be spending a lot of time in motion in this game so it's less notable.

As for the rumble, it's...subtle, but frequent. That's the best way to describe it. Walking and running causes no rumble, but changing gravity, moving items (including clattering a cube on each stair while running up some) and running water all give a little rumble. One thing I've noted is that falling from a small height gives the exact same feedback as falling from a great height. The audio makes note of you falling from a massive height, but there's no rumble feedback from you dropping, only the same you get when landing after running off a smaller ledge. It's not an issue, just something I noted.

Oh, I completely forgot that it does become more constant when you're at the end of each level and things are up and running. It's not much more intense, but it is more frequent, which is good.

EDIT: Right, I've finished it now. First of all, what a trip. Great game. I'm all for PSVR version if that ever comes out.

As for performance on the Switch, it does dip a bit towards the more densely packed areas at the end. There's also one bit of big pop-in when heading towards the final area of the game, but that's about it. Otherwise, a nice and stable game.

Well, stable in the FPS department. It's still an absolute trip otherwise.

Thanks for the impressions! Might jump in on Switch. The look does seem noticeably different with fuzzier lines, but the rumble feedback appeals too much to go PS4.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
How long does the game take to beat? I've been keeping my eye on this one for awhile now but don't know if I have time for it with other games and stuff. Might pick it up in a few months.

Syrenne

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, an average first playthrough should be right around 4-6 hours for most players? Obviously time will vary based on how well you take to the puzzles. And if you know the solutions it's much, much shorter - there were days in development where I played through it once on every console configuration, all back to back. I managed to get my average time down to around 50, 55 minutes.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this game and it's definitely worth playing. The secrets are also fantastic if you like outside the box thinking akin to The Talos Principle's stars. They really fleshed them out for the full console releases.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
Not the best first person perspective puzzler I've ever played, but much better than the other recent similar release Superliminal

Agreed, superliminal had some cool ideas, but was such a dissapointment, it just felt clunky and samey, I ended up not finishing it.

But I finished Manifold Garden last Night, and absolutley loved it. The puzzles were great and the design of the game was a joy, really a great experience all the way through. For me this is almost up there with Portal 2 and Talos Principle.