• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

(No word on PS4 release.)

Been looking forward to this beautiful, beautiful game for a long time. Here we go!

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Nice! I wondered if this was going to hit its 2019 release window.

And now I'll get to try it out for free in my Apple Arcade trial month. Double nice!

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Dang, 7 years.....I knew it had been awhile, but didn't realize it was that long. Congrats to William, it really looks great
Any word on if it'll have Mac support on EGS?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been very interested in this since Bloodworth talked about it after E3 two or more years ago. Very eager to play it. Looks right up my Antechmber.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Hell yeah, and on arcade too. Looking forward to finally playing it after all this time.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear the past couple months there's been a litany of promising indies announcing release dates for their games incredibly close to launch, out of the blue, all in the midst of the highest profile and heavily marketed games of the year. It's totally baffled me. I would've thought it would be more wise to wait a few months into a less crowded period like the first couple months of next year. I wonder whether these developers run out of funds and wish to get a return on the game before it costs them too much.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think this was that mystery game I remember Bloodworth talking about seeing a dozen e3s ago, but could never remember the name of. Still looks neat.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for years and was even in the alpha testing years and years ago. Excited to finally play the final release.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.... I want this, but it seems I have t wait even longer for PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
crosspost from the Apple Arcade thread: i just tried the iOS version of Manifold Garden for a minute, and it's rough. Even on iPhone 11, performance is poor (it targets 30fps but has trouble maintaining it, even in the very first room), and visually, it's a sub-native-res jaggy mess. It's playable, but I'd strongly advise holding out for the PC or console versions instead.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting on this for what feels like an eternity. And finally it's out but not on the platform it was announced for (PS4). I guess the wait continues...

Also, it puzzles me how somebody can work on a game for so long, announce the release date days before it comes out and release it without any reviews in the busiest month of the year. I guess Epic and Apple helped cover the development costs regardless of sales (and i don't mean this in a negative way...)?

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
crosspost from the Apple Arcade thread: i just tried the iOS version of Manifold Garden for a minute, and it's rough. Even on iPhone 11, performance is poor (it targets 30fps but has trouble maintaining it, even in the very first room), and visually, it's a sub-native-res jaggy mess. It's playable, but I'd strongly advise holding out for the PC or console versions instead.
The AppleTV version doesn't run super well either - targets 30 FPS but doesn't hit it consistently. Totally playable but I'm just going to buy the PC version.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Also, it puzzles me how somebody can work on a game for so long, announce the release date days before it comes out and release it without any reviews in the busiest month of the year. I guess Epic and Apple helped cover the development costs regardless of sales (and i don't mean this in a negative way...)?
Even the small gaming sites are getting hammered with review requests. Reviewers like myself are still trying to get through months worth of backlog.

I'm sure somebody'll get around to covering this game soon. It sounds like a big deal.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Even the small gaming sites are getting hammered with review requests. Reviewers like myself are still trying to get through months worth of backlog.

I'm sure somebody'll get around to covering this game soon. It sounds like a big deal.

Which is why it would probably make sense to release it during a less busy period, especially after such a long dev time? Hence why i think Epic and/or Apple made him a good deal. Which is fine but i still wonder how many copies it will actually sell. But maybe that's not as important anymore due to deals that can be made for (timed) exclusives...

buzzjive

Oct 31, 2017
The AppleTV version doesn't run super well either - targets 30 FPS but doesn't hit it consistently. Totally playable but I'm just going to buy the PC version.

I mentioned in the other thread that I am working with Will on supporting some of the target platforms. "Totally playable" is the absolute minimum bar we were going for and we definitely don't want it to be a bad experience. Which AppleTV are you running? The PC build has the best quality and quality settings for sure, but we do want the Apple TV version to feel at least on par with what you'd expect from that hardware.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first couple of hours on PC and I'm really liking it so far. I'm not sure on how long this game takes to beat but it says I've discovered 3 areas so far. I played the alpha many years back and a lot has been added to make the world flow together well. It looks great with very chill music. Looking forward to playing more for sure.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
I mentioned in the other thread that I am working with Will on supporting some of the target platforms. "Totally playable" is the absolute minimum bar we were going for and we definitely don't want it to be a bad experience. Which AppleTV are you running? The PC build has the best quality and quality settings for sure, but we do want the Apple TV version to feel at least on par with what you'd expect from that hardware.
I'm on the 4K hardware, on the newest software version (not beta). Despite what I posted earlier, I have just kept playing this version (the game is addictive and challenging in all the right ways). I think I've gotten used to it - it just felt a little sluggish to start is all.

Thanks for responding with that info.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today. Took about 4 - 4.5 hours first time through. Definitely an interesting game with some fun mechanics and great puzzles. Loved the music. Definitely worth it if you like puzzle games in this style. I have no idea how many secrets there are, if there's alternate endings etc. Definitely worth going back through and exploring more for secrets though. I wouldn't quite put it on the same level as Talos Principle, Antichamber or The Witness but it's still great if you like these styles of games.

OP
OP
Feep

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm about 2-3 hours in and I'm loving it. Absolutely beautiful in 4K, I've been taking screenshots non-stop.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today. Took about 4 - 4.5 hours first time through. Definitely an interesting game with some fun mechanics and great puzzles. Loved the music. Definitely worth it if you like puzzle games in this style. I have no idea how many secrets there are, if there's alternate endings etc. Definitely worth going back through and exploring more for secrets though. I wouldn't quite put it on the same level as Talos Principle, Antichamber or The Witness but it's still great if you like these styles of games.

What would you say the game plays closest to? Antichamber? Talos?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding it a bit sterile at the moment. I'm waiting for the thing that really raises it above the tower of hanoi style portal-like.

i admire the work that surely went into this a great deal, but the sum of it all isn't clicking for me yet. I've probably hit up four or five nodes at this point.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
What would you say the game plays closest to? Antichamber? Talos?

Definitely Antichamber if I had to choose. The cube puzzles definitely do remind me of Talos to an extent but the warping rooms and world is definitely closer to Antichamber. The game has its own unique mechanics for the most part. The game is kind of a mix between Antichamber and StandPoint with aspects of Talos for the secrets.

The Talos Principle and Antichamber are some of my favourite games of all time. If anyone enjoyed those I'd 100% recommend this game.

Oct 25, 2017
...but i will say that the entire game is elevated by the tinktinktinktink of cubes being dragged up stairs. tinktinktink of the year

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I will say the secret puzzles in this game are amazing and probably the best part about the game. Explore every alcove, corner and wall because there are hidden rooms and connecting puzzles all over the place. A lot of thinking outside the box needs to be done to solve them. Reminds me of the stars in Talos Principle. The game isn't as straight forward as it seems after my first playthrough.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to play it. A bit annoyed that the PS4 release isn't until Q1 of 2020 though.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm having issues with one of the puzzles.
so in the tetris piezes world, the yellow one I cannot find anywhere to place the very last yellow cube. I completed everything but I have to find the laser to free the anticube and take it to the tree, but it's nowhere to be seen
Any help?

Darkflight

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried running this on a second screen on Mac and finding the audio still comes out of the Mac and not the TV? All other audio is coming out of the TV. buzzjive run into this at all? I appreciate all the video settings on the Mac version so I can at least attempt to not have my MBP sound like it's going to take off, some of the other Arcade games have nothing in the way of video settings Mac wise, some you can't even resize the window as if the idea of a Mac build was the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
This game is INCREDIBLE -- one of the best puzzle games I've played in years -- but something about the atmosphere and the environments really stresses me out and triggers something deep in my brain? It's hard to articulate. I sometimes just find the tiled, infinite environments really stressful and overwhelming.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

Watching William Chyr talk about the game on his dev stream and it's great to hear him recap a bunch of stuff over the years. Looks like they're going to keep working on the game to smooth out some stuff and tweak some details.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This game is INCREDIBLE -- one of the best puzzle games I've played in years -- but something about the atmosphere and the environments really stresses me out and triggers something deep in my brain? It's hard to articulate. I sometimes just find the tiled, infinite environments really stressful and overwhelming.

Check out NaissancE for more large abstract architecture induced dread. Glad to hear this game is turning out good. I'll be sure to check it out some day.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone found a way into the secret in the first area?
On the outside of the huge pillar there's a door and black force field, but I have no idea how to remove them

Last edited:

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finished the game today. Manifold Garden has left me melting into my couch over the past few days. Sometimes it's so photogenic that I just stop and stare at the screen.

Where's the OT?! This game deserves much more attention.

I bought this game based on the first few screenshots on the Epic Store at launch. It's one of my best impulse buys.

Have you guys been able to figure out the menu that comes up when you press LB+RB on a controller?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone found a way into the secret in the first area?
On the outside of the huge pillar there's a door and black force field, but I have no idea how to remove them

Not sure if you've figured this out but:

To remove the black force field you need to trigger the negative type world by holding on to the anti-cube (the black cube that unlocks at the end of the area). Instead of placing the black cube on the tree to take you to the garden and complete the level you can carry the cube back to the black door and it will be open. Once inside you can put the cube down to reset your position and the door will now be open if you return.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Really cool to see how far this game has come:

Also, because the game had less than 2 days befoew they knew it was being released they didn't get the chance to send it to outlets. Destructoid put up their review though:

When everything was said and done after a few hours, I was only truly stumped twice – once because I was impatient and didn't fully survey the area, and once because the small entryway I needed was weirdly tucked out of sight. Sometimes, it's just nice to play a puzzle game that's engrossing enough to keep you entertained without forcing your brain to fire on all cylinders to keep the pace on track.

Manifold Garden has a lot going for it, but above all else, it's simply pleasant – to look at, to listen to, and to play. It's the kind of game you can revisit every couple of years and be confident it'll hold up.

MNU4N40.png

Also, speedruns.

Speedruns are already great for this game. The current Any% record is 35m 49s but is being constantly improved. Worth watching for sure if you're into that.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it last night. Loved it.

I have a question about some of the secret areas and secret paths, though -

I re-started the game with the intent to go secret hunting and found the first one pretty easily. In the first area I completed the four lasers, got the black cube, and took it BACK into the previous area, in order to go through the previously-solid black wall. I hit the blue button in there so I would be able to access that area permanently.

I felt super smart and was excited for where it was going to lead.

But unless I'm missing something, it just lead to a room with one new/different puzzle, and after I finished it, that puzzle's exit path just lead me back onto the main path? I recognized the next couple puzzles from my first one through.