• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
What exactly were they waiting for if they knew all along? No new evidence was presented. They could have cornered him at any time. Maybe I missed something key (besides the fact that it made for a cool scene for a double attack)

Also it may have been the translation but X Drake's conversation right before that where he tells Apoo that if he wants to defect now's the time was really odd to me.
Hawkins, not Apoo, but it's literally him just trying to sow chaos. As for what they were waiting for, they wanted to corner him. No sense in making it harder for themselves than they need to.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly were they waiting for if they knew all along? No new evidence was presented. They could have cornered him at any time. Maybe I missed something key (besides the fact that it made for a cool scene for a double attack)

We don't know when they found out, it could've been that same day for all we know. Though yes, from a narrative perspective, it's best to time it when the fighting is actually happening.

Also it may have been the translation but X Drake's conversation right before that where he tells Apoo that if he wants to defect now's the time was really odd to me.

It's in Drake's best interest to make things more chaotic, so Hawkins defecting in the middle of a war would be ideal for him.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys 36 - Baseball game was eh.

Black Clover 265 - And these guys are getting in on the "training in a few days does more than the months of training before" game too. Also, I can't help but have my shipping senses go off for Noelle and the Heart Queen.

Dr. Stone 166 - Good to have a female sniper, but damn, that's a design downgrade from Stanley, lol. That last page is a perfect Jojo "To Be Continued".

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 11 - This fight was pretty neat. I'm curious how this will work as an action series later.

Jujutsu Kaisen 122 - It's funny, despite this girl being one of the lead characters, I don't think I've seen her fight at all during the time I've been reading. Looking forward to a good fight from her.

Magu-chan 12 - Wasn't really feeling this chapter until that amazing punchline with Magu as a human joining the club.

Mission: Yozakura Family 51 - Always good to see more of the family.

Moriking 20 - I was wondering how the last king could be a threat, but I guess ignoring the soldados limit works. Still seems like it's heading for an ending.

My Hero Academia 284 - It makes sense for Izuka to train with Uraraka's quirk after learning he'll get the Float quirk. Wonder what's going on with the quirk All Might is covering up.

Our Blood Oath 2 - This is a really weird second chapter. Didn't like it.

Phantom Seer 4 - This was an alright set up chapter. I like this new guy.

Spy x Family 33 - This tennis arc was fun enough, but I'm glad it's done.

We Never Learn 174 - Oh huh, didn't expect dad backstory here.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Hey guys! I need your help! I am trying to remember the name of a Manga I started reading a few months ago but got busy and dropped it. Now that I have a bit more free time, I am having difficulties remembering the name of the manga lol. It involves the main Protagonist turning into a Monster but is able to keep his human form. It's fairly new and at the time when I read it, it only had a couple of chapters out. I also remember him being on cleaning duties after monsters are killed in the city and he has to clean up the remains of the monster and what not. Please help! I can't find it! :[

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hey guys! I need your help! I am trying to remember the name of a Manga I started reading a few months ago but got busy and dropped it. Now that I have a bit more free time, I am having difficulties remembering the name of the manga lol. It involves the main Protagonist turning into a Monster but is able to keep his human form. It's fairly new and at the time when I read it, it only had a couple of chapters out. I also remember him being on cleaning duties after monsters are killed in the city and he has to clean up the remains of the monster and what not. Please help! I can't find it! :[

Kaiju No 8 is on the shonen jump and manga + app (called Monster No 8 on manga +)

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Kaiju No. 8

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread doesn't seem super alive but still--

I'm looking for some manga (or webtoon, or even a comicbook-- whatever) to binge.

My favourite genres are sports, scifi, generally any manga that goes deeply into a real-world subject, and stuff that's fantasy but not balls-to-the-wall crazy (say FMA).

Some of my favourite manga are: Silver Spoon, Vinland Saga, Planetes, Baby Steps, Haikyuu.

Definitely do not like: Isekai, cute girls doing cute things, brainless shounen manga.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm looking for some manga (or webtoon, or even a comicbook-- whatever) to binge.

My favourite genres are sports, scifi, generally any manga that goes deeply into a real-world subject, and stuff that's fantasy but not balls-to-the-wall crazy (say FMA).

Some of my favourite manga are: Silver Spoon, Vinland Saga, Planetes, Baby Steps, Haikyuu.

Definitely do not like: Isekai, cute girls doing cute things, brainless shounen manga.
Might I recommend the currently ongoing manga World Trigger? It's a sci fi series that takes quite few cues from sports series as well.

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
Slam Dunk (basketball manga) and Space Brothers (astronauts, it follows the journey of an older brother who tries jo join his sibling in going to the moon. It shows the tests taken, the training, engineering problems needed to solve)

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

There is a lot one could recommend you.
I will name a few of my favs:
REAL
Spirit Circle
Vagabond
Chainsaw Man
Kokou no Hito
20th century boys
Atelier of Witch Hat
Sengoku Komachi
Historie
Gogo Monster
Eden it's an endless world
Oooku
I can add some details too if you want to.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I'd recommend Radiant (fantasy shonen, takes about a couple of volumes to really get going, but does deal with real-world applicable discrimination and has some excellent character writing), A Bride's Tale (historical fiction set in 19th century central Asia, absolutely gorgeous art), and Eyeshield 21 (American football, pretty over the top but mostly in a good way, Murata on art). And would second the World Trigger, Spirit Circle, and Witch Hat Atelier recs you've already gotten. All are pretty excellent.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Dear Sa-Chan ended in Manga+, and that was probably the trashiest manga I've ever read :/ I mean, I guess it can be realistic and possibly relatable, but the characters (especially the MC) were just awful :/ I also hated how the ears were drawn in this, it always bothered me.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Dear Sa-Chan ended in Manga+, and that was probably the trashiest manga I've ever read :/ I mean, I guess it can be realistic and possibly relatable, but the characters (especially the MC) were just awful :/ I also hated how the ears were drawn in this, it always bothered me.

It also had the world's best foreshadowing

Chapter 34: "don't make a move on my 2 year old daughter"

*time skip*

Chapter 35: "I started dating this girl, turns out she's the daughter I was told not to date"

🤮

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I've fallen behind on reacting to chapters.

Dr. Stone - Well, that was a sudden resolution to this arc. It's weird to split the crew like this, but I guess Stanley tracking them while they have Dr. Xeno hostage will be interesting.

We Never Learn - Asumi has has proven to be the best alternate route. As I've said before, it's just nice to see a romance between adults in Jump, who largely actually act like adults.

One Piece - It's nostalgic seeing everyone pair off for fights again. Hopefully we actually see them.

Moriking - OK, yeah, this is ending now. The gag with the final king's introduction was good.

Our Blood Oath - Still so odd and unfocused. I think I'll just drop this.

Ayakashi Triangle - I don't dislike this series, but I've been straight up forgetting to read this on the website, and I don't care enough to catch up, so I guess I'm dropping this. Just past the age of caring about fanservice series, I suppose.

Agravity Boys - This business arc was an interesting direction, but it's been weak so far.

Jujutsu Kaisen - Huh, well I didn't expect that. Hope she lives; maybe with an eyepatch.

Mission: Yozakura Family - The sequence at the inn was nice. Not sure what's going on with the new chapter. Mitama Security had a similar chapter just introducing a bunch of reader submitted character designs, but that was a 100% gag manga. Are these new guys sticking around?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Moriking is definitely ending. I will say I enjoy all these over the top attacks coming out of nowhere and the butterfly being completely baffled.

Jujutsu Kaisen has been good. I don't think Nobara is going to die at this point.

With One Piece, I admit I'm kind of in autopilot mode reading this now. Kiku got her arm cut off; people in the other thread mentioned she's been important, but I honestly can't remember anything she's done.

Agravity Boys... I really don't know what it's doing now.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin introducing another pervert... yay...

These last two Mission: Yozakura Family chapters have been good. Taiyo has a sword now, so we're really getting into action shonen stuff.

We Never Learn started the final arc, and this feels pretty forced so far. I'm a bit surprised.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I love that they spent so much time on the celebrations on Mashle, but that whole "reveal" seems really odd unless he was just replaced after his last battle or he's got some kind of split personality.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure Chainsawman is ending pretty soon. I don't think there's anywhere else it can go from here. This might even be in the middle of the final battle? I can never predict this series...

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Pretty sure Chainsawman is ending pretty soon. I don't think there's anywhere else it can go from here. This might even be in the middle of the final battle? I can never predict this series...
That's exactly what the mangaka wants you to think. His previous work was the same.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I heard Fire Punch was something else... should check that out at some point, but being "web-only" sometimes makes me forget it's even listed.

I really wish Viz would just have some kind of age verification for the apps so they could list all the manga available on the web. I still don't get how Manga Plus can have series that are web-only on Viz.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish Viz would just have some kind of age verification for the apps so they could list all the manga available on the web. I still don't get how Manga Plus can have series that are web-only on Viz.

Yeah it's pretty annoying. I caught up with stuff like Jigokuraku on browser, and then just moved over to reading current chapters on Manga+ (I didn't start reading it until after Viz started publishing it, and Manga+ removed all the middle chapters).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
With 2 new series starting this month, I wonder which 2 will be ending to make room? Moriking looks like it'll be done in a couple chapters, so most likely that, and also maybe Agravity Boys, which has also been ranking at/near the bottom for a while? Not that it really went everywhere, since it was pretty random with no real focus, overall.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys - Well, they finally pulled the trigger on the premise of the first chapter. Now everyone's a girl. And it turned out to be pretty sexist.

Black Clover - Asta's mother being the reason why he has a demon tied to him is contrived, but also there had to be a reason why he had the five-leaf clover. I admit that I like Asta just befriending the demon. The new vice-captain is pretty boring, though.

Dr. Stone - New girl seems fun, and isn't a T&A monster, so that's good. It's weird that no one brought up the Panama Canal, even if it disappeared in the intervening years. I'm curious to see how this chase turns out.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - That perverted lifeguard being a cult leader, and the creepy sequence of him cutting off that woman's leg, was enough to get me interested in this again.

Jujutsu Kaisen - This fight's been going on for a while, but it's still good.

Magu-chan - Oh hey, Halloween in a manga! This manga hasn't been amazing, but it's been a nice read. It's good that the volume release seems to have done well enough.

Mission: Yozakura Family - Surprised we're getting the full story of the hero's family's death already. And yeah, sword means sword-based special attacks.

Moriking - Wow, this is really leaning hard into being an action shonen parody. I guess we haven't really had one of those in a while. Still, even though some of the gags were good, I feel like this is going to end soon.

My Hero Academia - Everyone expected this from Dabi, but I feel this was executed well.

Phantom Seer - Great spooky art here. The story itself isn't that special, though.

We Never Learn - Butts.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys - The gag about them getting so close to rescuing Chris but getting distracted would have worked better without the sexist leanings of it.

Build King - Wow, this is literally Toriko but architecture, lol. It's a breath of fresh air compared to what else is in Jump, but I'm not sure how well it will stand on its own merits.

Dr. Stone - Well there you go! Panama Canal.

Jujutsu Kaisen - Good comedy chapter.

Magu-chan - I think these character dynamics are shaping up well.

Moriking - Decent gag chapter, though I'm not sure what was going on with that gag where the fifth king turned into a black guy. I can't tell if this series is ended soon or if it got another lease on life.

My Hero Academia - I forgot about Best Jeanist seemingly dying. Didn't expect Hawks to get dragged down too.

One Piece - Hope Usopp makes a comeback in this fight.

Phantom Seer - Woah, she got battle ready quick. Like people mentioned in the Manga OT, this getting a color page and the ending of this chapter send mixed messages about how long this has left.

We Never Learn - Sorry, but a wet butt isn't hot at all.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda felt like Build King was mad dumb. Not sure I wanna keep going with that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The premise sounded unique enough, but I found myself nodding off during the chapter...
It's defnitely unique, I just don't think it was unique in a good way. Felt like the "and they fight crime!" of it all was extremely blatant. "They build houses... and do Shonen stuff!"

And that's it, that's the whole thing.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Sakamoto Days

Fun debut, but I can't be the only one that thought Sakamoto was practically xerox'd from the Slam Dunk coach, right?

0595b92347e5eec9813dd1fe17372c5d068f0c94_hq.jpg

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys - Oh hey, they finally have a working time machine. Chapter was alright.

Black Clover - Gravity guy is still alive, and ready to fight again? Surprised.

Build King - I like the concepts in this chapter, but I don't care for the characters, especially the ass guy's comedy gimmicks. I think I'll drop it at this point.

Dr. Stone - Somehow forgot about the airplane. Great chapter. I wonder what message Xeno could have given Stanley; I don't think he has an easy way to track them at this point. Also, we're agreed the guys in the plane would have died if this wasn't manga, right?

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Didn't expect a class discrimination story here. Not sure where the overall story is going now.

Jujutsu Kaisen - Well, I guess this fight's going on for a bit longer after all. It's still good, so it's fine.

Magu-chan - Nice to see the mall date went better this time. Cute chapter.

Mission: Yozakura Family - The grandparents are fun character. And best training arc: getting shot by a gun over and over.

Moriking - Uh, so last chapter happened. I actually like that they did such a weird real insect thing, with the praying mantis shitting out a worm that ate all her food up to that point. New chapter was alright.

My Hero Academia - Best Jeanist showing up was alright, but Lemillion returning with his powers with no set up was really weird.

One Piece - SMH Sanji. Zoro defeating Apoo so easily and resolving the freezing oni thing already is weird; though I suppose the anime will drag the hell out of this.

Phantom Seer - The girl's ability (from last chapter) is pretty neat, though I'm getting Orihime flashbacks. And it looks like she's already getting captured again, with this new chapter. Twist with the new girl was obvious, so wondering what the twist with the twist is.

Sakamoto Days - Covering chapter 1 and 2, this seems like a solid enough start and a fun comedic gimmick. Also, I, at 30, am older than the old guy character in a manga, at 27. It'll happen to all of us some day.

Spy x Family - Oh damn, things are escalating now. Great chapter.

We Never Learn - Cute chapter, though I still feel the romance aspect is weak in this branch.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone - Somehow forgot about the airplane. Great chapter. I wonder what message Xeno could have given Stanley; I don't think he has an easy way to track them at this point. Also, we're agreed the guys in the plane would have died if this wasn't manga, right?
100% yeah. I actually laughed out loud when I saw them specifically shown tumbling to safety.
Mission: Yozakura Family - The grandparents are fun character. And best training arc: getting shot by a gun over and over.
"Using Somameine, you can alter the power of a gun so you can shoot people nonlethally" is maybe the most "fuck logic and fuck physics" thing we've seen a Yozakura do, and that's saying something.
My Hero Academia - Best Jeanist showing up was alright, but Lemillion returning with his powers with no set up was really weird.
Somebody in the MHA OT posted a panel from a little while back that actually showed Eri sitting next to All Might, watching the news coverage, and they pointed out that her horn had shrunk again. Definitely out of left field but props to Horikoshi for the foreshadowing.
Sakamoto Days - Covering chapter 1 and 2, this seems like a solid enough start and a fun comedic gimmick. Also, I, at 30, am older than the old guy character in a manga, at 27. It'll happen to all of us some day.
He's fucking what

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Got a survey from Viz which was basically "do you buy less manga because of Shonen Jump digital."

I really hope they're not re-evaluating their subscription model, because I love it as is.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Got a survey from Viz which was basically "do you buy less manga because of Shonen Jump digital."

I really hope they're not re-evaluating their subscription model, because I love it as is.
Shonen Jump Digital dosen't really compete with volume sales anyway. Volumes are too far behind for that.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't really make a difference to me. I wasn't buying many volumes of Viz published damage before the SJ catalog anyways.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more selective with manga I buy anyways (usually wait until Rightstuf bundle sales, like that's happening right now) and usually things I'll purchase are more Shojo Beat titles, at least from Viz. I don't buy too much shonen anyways, especially with how long they are, and usually something I will probably just run through once digital, without a desire to re-reread.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Shonen Jump Digital dosen't really compete with volume sales anyway. Volumes are too far behind for that.

For me, having the whole library available digitally does lessen somewhat my need to have all the volumes. If I want to go back and read something, as long as I have a sub I can read it. I think I stopped collecting One Piece volumes as of like 70 or so (I also don't have the storage space).

It also used to be that the only way to read something was buying the volumes, so having an alternative to that will affect people's buying habits.

I did answer that it didn't change my habits because I still buy a lot of series, I just delay buying them until Right Stuf sales or the like.