• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Week break, but looks like Manga+ released a new series in english (apparently it's been out a few weeks in other languages) Monster#8/Kaiju 8-gou. A unique idea, reminds me a bit of Drifting Dragons... but then there's that ending. Should be interesting! THIS is the type of thing I wish WSJ had more of right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, for in the mainline SJ mag. I feel like it's harder to get mainstream appeal in some of their others (not that they don't, but not quite as often).
I think being on a free website/app is far better than the magazine, Spy x Family is the newest hotness on jump+ outselling basically everything in WSJ except OP and KnY. Kaiju #8 already has several million views...WSJ doesnt even have 1.5mln in circulation anymore.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think being on a free website/app is far better than the magazine, Spy x Family is the newest hotness on jump+ outselling basically everything in WSJ except OP and KnY. Kaiju #8 already has several million views...WSJ doesnt even have 1.5mln in circulation anymore.

Oh yeah, SxF has been a great hit! Doesn't WSJ now have a digital version in Japan, in some form? I've been reading how Japan is slowly starting to embrace more digital issues (where some less popular anthologies have been ending print and just going digital).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Kaiju 1-5

I want to like this more then I do. It's a solid enough premise but it still feels like we're in the opening stages of the series. The story is at it's best when the MC is in his kaiju body and hopefully we see more of that.

Inversely I hope this 16 year old girl does not become tsundere for our 32 year old lead character.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Kaiju 1-5

I want to like this more then I do. It's a solid enough premise but it still feels like we're in the opening stages of the series. The story is at it's best when the MC is in his kaiju body and hopefully we see more of that.

Inversely I hope this 16 year old girl does not become tsundere for our 32 year old lead character.

I hope not since he already has a love interest. It really is, as the Toku thread said, an undercover Toku series, though. And I'm fine with that.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle 7 - Oh damn, didn't expect a kiss this soon.

Act-Age 122 - This story arc continues to be really interesting.

Agravity Boys 30 - Huh, I expected the flashback arc to go on for way longer. Comedy series or not, I can't really tell where this is going now.

Black Clover 259 - I hope the boring gravity guy is done after this.

Bone Collection 13 - Defeating all the underlings already is a choice. It's good that the girl is fighting now, but the fighting isn't great.

Dr. Stone 160 - Chrome hype. Figuring out how to construct a tunnel is an interesting next puzzle.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 5 - The dolphin transformation and the girl carrying them was pretty funny.

Jujutsu Kaisen 116 - That was a nice death sequence.

Magu-chan 6 - This was an alright chapter, but pretty standard.

Mission: Yozakura Family 45 - Didn't expect one of the other family members to take over the fight. I wonder what's up with the ending, with "the real deal" arriving. A Yozakura splinter family?

Mitama Security 46 - Alright chapter, but I also don't know where this is going now.

Moriking 14 - Making jokes about the insects teaching people insect mating rituals is alright in concept, but not great when applied to such young kids.

My Hero Academia 279 - It was honestly a bit hard to tell what was going on in this chapter, but it was good.

One Piece 986 - Huh, just skipped over a fight with a major character in this arc. I assume that was to give the anime more slack. This was a nice chapter.

Spy x Family 30 - And another rival appears. Good chapter.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 11 - OK, so they are addressing how the series is going after the the future issues stopped coming, though I would have preferred much more information. But wait, she's dead already? Did ten years pass already?

We Never Learn 168 - Poor Fumino, getting her ending taken over by every other girl. Still, that kiss at the end was cute. I really wish these endings went on for longer past them getting together, though.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Time Paradox Ghostwriter 11 - OK, so they are addressing how the series is going after the the future issues stopped coming, though I would have preferred much more information. But wait, she's dead already? Did ten years pass already?

Different timeline, but at the same time White Knight got beat by Anima in rankings. Who knows where/when he got wisked off to in order to fix it. I just hope that even if the series is short, if it does get an early axe if WSJ can at least allow it to get a proper conclusion.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, Miitama ended...about halfway through the chapter I was like "uh oh this is the finale?". I honestly had a lot of fun with the series, but yeah after it pulled the gag with the ultimate villain and the Elite Four type dudes it was clear it didn't have anywhere else to go.

Speaking of which, Bone Collection quickly rushed through what appeared to be a serious situation with gags I can't help but feel it's pretty much on its way out. What a weird series, it's super amateurish in so many ways but that's kind of the appeal too?

Jujutsu Kaisen I loved when I marathoned it, but reading chapter to chapter isn't doing much for me...I think I'll wait for more chapters to release and marathon it.

I enjoy Roboco, mainly the gag with the expies of the bully/frenemy characters from Doraemon being pretty swell guys cracks me up more than the jokes involving Roboco herself.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't check out the new stuff from today yet (any reason why they released these on a Monday than Sunday? Japanese holiday?), but had no idea Mitama was ending out of nowhere! Well, I've been saying for a while that it's been kinda going around in circles, and some of us thought there was climax material a while back, but it just kept doing.... random stuff.

So that's 2 endings done this week since Act-Age well, yeah :/

As for Bone Collection I have no idea where this is going either. I don't like the art at all, and it just feels like "stuff happens" every chapter, and seems like this seems to be the consensus.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter still not doing good in Japan. A shame, because it seems like one of those series that seems to be getting some good reception from western fans. Please just give it a real ending, somehow...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Haven't check out the new stuff from today yet (any reason why they released these on a Monday than Sunday? Japanese holiday?), but had no idea Mitama was ending out of nowhere! Well, I've been saying for a while that it's been kinda going around in circles, and some of us thought there was climax material a while back, but it just kept doing.... random stuff.

So that's 2 endings done this week since Act-Age well, yeah :/

As for Bone Collection I have no idea where this is going either. I don't like the art at all, and it just feels like "stuff happens" every chapter, and seems like this seems to be the consensus.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter still not doing good in Japan. A shame, because it seems like one of those series that seems to be getting some good reception from western fans. Please just give it a real ending, somehow...

Bone Collection is ending next week, there is a trick where you can look at upcoming chapter ids on Manga+ which get updates in fours, when a series has less the 4 chapters on the horizon it's ending/canceled.

Holiday sunday in Japan which is why chapters came out today, then there is another holiday next week so Jump is off entierly.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Bone Collection is ending next week, there is a trick where you can look at upcoming chapter ids on Manga+ which get updates in fours, when a series has less the 4 chapters on the horizon it's ending/canceled.

Holiday sunday in Japan which is why chapters came out today, then there is another holiday next week so Jump is off entierly.

Figured it was a holiday (and honestly don't mind the amount of breaks, because I've been trying to catch up/finish a few other series right now :x)

Huh, ok so Bone Collection is gone too. I wonder with 3 series ending (1 being completely unplanned) if maybe Time Paradox will be allowed to stay a little longer then? Being the contender of "next to get the axe".

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get your hopes up for Time Paradox Ghostwriter sticking around. The latest chapter just screamed "I didn't do everything I wanted so here's my self-insert to tell you all the answers!" A telltale sign that the series is on its way out.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, TPGW is done. It was an interesting pitch, though I was skeptical of how they'd manage to turn it into an actual series. Seems that the plagiarism angle sunk it so quickly they never got a chance to do anything at all.

What an odd thing to have a hangup on. This is an audience that has accepted some genuinely incredibly reprehensible behavior from main characters, like, legit "go to jail and throw away the key if you do this in real life" stuff, but apparently plagiarism is a pain point.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to do this earlier this week.

Ayakashi Triangle 8 - Alright, so the kiss was just a tease. This was a fun chapter, with the doppleganger.

Agravity Boys 31 - It was amusing to see the guys suddenly realize they haven't been doing anything to achieve their goals, and buckling down. Either it's ending soon or there's going to be a reversion.

Black Clover 260 - Oh right, the main king had bone powers. Completely forgot the gravity guy wasn't him. Looks like we're getting a Rescue Yami arc.

Bone Collection 14 - Damn, that's some "ending next chapter" pacing. Humor was bad.

Dr. Stone 161 - Aw, Chrome's first roadmap. Neat that he came up with a drill on his own.

Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin 6 - While the image of everyone hanging off the cliff was amusing, the conceit of everyone trying to help (and failing) so they could grab that women's chest was gross. Though again, I appreciate at least that she's an adult and not a high school teenager.

Jujutsu Kaisen 117 - I like when rules lawyering is used to turn non-attacks into attacks like this. I wonder if we'll see Sukuna mostly defeat the summon, then the hero guy will sneak in the last blow and win it as a summon.

Magu-chan 7 - This exorcist character is fun enough. I'm surprised they didn't go with him not realizing Magu is a god of destruction as a running gag for the rest of the series.

Mission: Yozakura Family 46 - It's been a while since we got a big fight scene with the other family members. Looking forward to it.

Mitama Secrurity 47 (END) - While I enjoyed this series, it really had been going in circles for a while and there didn't seem to be a new wellspring of jokes. All things considered, this was a good final chapter, and I laughed at several of the jokes.

Moriking 15 - Huh, I would have figured both of the remaining kings would be serious threats. The new queen bee is a fun enough character.

My Hero Academia 280 - Ugh, I don't like Kirishima kill-stealing from Ashido.

One Piece 987 - I wonder what the significance of the samurai actually being able to wound Kaido is. And are we going to see both Kaido and Big Mom defeated here?

Spy x Family 31 - And it turns out this series draws tennis matches well too. This new spy is a fun character.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 12 - And lore dump. The art in the other world was good. Looks like the hero will be freezing time until he gets a story he likes. I find it hard to imagine the series will be continuing for long after this.

We Never Learn 169 - Even if it's an AU storyline that's only going to last a volume, it's shocking to see a Jump series give extended focus to a romance between two professional adults. This branch gets a lot of kudos for that alone. Also, if they're pulling out such a huge time jump for a romance with Kominari, I assume the same will be done for the teacher.

Spirit Photographer: Saburo Kono (One Shot) - Out of the strange suite of Jump exorcist series and one-shots, this is probably the best one. It's deliberately creepy, which is reflected in the art and dialogue, and it has a sweet ending. I find the conceit of Saburo helping the ghosts achieve peace so he can take a happy photo of them much more compelling than any previous exorcist story this year.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Spirit Photographer: Saburo Kono (One Shot) - Out of the strange suite of Jump exorcist series and one-shots, this is probably the best one. It's deliberately creepy, which is reflected in the art and dialogue, and it has a sweet ending. I find the conceit of Saburo helping the ghosts achieve peace so he can take a happy photo of them much more compelling than any previous exorcist story this year.

Agreed. Soooo many exorcist series lately, but this one had a good premise. Good one-shot, and I still need to get around to reading TPN at some point, too.

Any new series announced for next week?

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Agreed. Soooo many exorcist series lately, but this one had a good premise. Good one-shot, and I still need to get around to reading TPN at some point, too.

Any new series announced for next week?
Burn the Witch (by Kubo; set in Bleach universe) next week and it will last 4 chapters

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Shonen Jump Magazine Debuts 3 New Manga Starting on August 31

Isobe Isobee Monogatari's Ryō Nakama launches new manga on September 7

And 3 others in each subsequent week

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey look, Manga+ has a new series:

World's End Harem ~Britannia Luminere~

Looked on MAL and nothing for this specific title, but World's End Harem is a Japanese Manga+ ecchi series, so this would me it a shoujo spin-off?? In the english Manga+?? And it's a traditional shoujo isekai??? Colour me surprised! 3 chapters up so far, and honestly, I welcome this 'old school' style of isekai, even if the topic is "you gotta marry someone cause all the girls in our world is asleep!! I'll take it :x

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Bone Collection 15 - I guess ending with an actual marriage and jumping ahead to a happy ending is something. Helps that the series didn't even set up an overarching plot, lol. This failed as a fanservice series and as an action series, and the characters weren't good, so no love lost with this cancellation.

Ayakashi Triangle 9 - Surprised to see a chapter so focused on just talking things out and with the only fanservice being thigh shots. It was pleasant enough.

Agravity Boys 32 - An eh chapter. Also feels like it doesn't really follow up on the Higher Being's disappointment from the end of the previous chapter, since things are just back to normal with them.

Black Clover 261 - Seriously, where is Yami finding these guys? Also I really dislike the "timeskip training, but then onscreen training right after" thing.

Burn the Witch 1 - This was fun; nice to have Kubo back again.

Dr. Stone 162 - Surprised the drill's done already. I suppose under the circumstances, there isn't much in-universe time for experimentation. Taiju and that guy having a language barrier but understanding the gist of things was handled well.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 7 - The gag with that woman transforming was great. Eh chapter otherwise.

Jujutsu Kaisen 118 - Good fight.

Magu-chan 8 - Alright chapter.

Mission: Yozakura Family 47 - Action was alright here. The hero getting a power up like this is a bit odd, because he was already curbstomping everyone except the top spies. I wonder how it'll turn out.

Moriking 16 - I like the sister's relationship to the female bugs.

My Hero Academia 281 - Didn't think of Gran Torino being at risk of dying; from a dramatic sense, he'd be a good character to die here, but also that would cut off a connection to Shigaraki's parents. Endeavor losing his powers here could be big.

One Piece 988 - It shows how far Sanji has fallen that we're finally getting a one-on-one fight with him and I don't care. In general, this part of the arc has also oddly been undermining Big Mom as a threat, with Franky driving a bike into her face here as an example.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 13 - I feel like this isn't actually a good way to write a series, with zero feedback. Anyway, definitely ending soon.

We Never Learn 170 - This storyline is pretty fun. Nariyuki and Kominari are a cute couple. I am a bit concerned about how that one student with a crush on Nariyuki is noticeably being drawn with a curvy body, but just in the sense of her getting fanservice; I don't think they'll actually have a teacher-student romance here like some have worried.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Bone Collection seemed to have a solid start (although, a silly premise) and then I dunno what happened. It ended on a happy note, I guess?

Burn the Witch is nothing too special, yet between the one-shot and the first chapter it's been enjoyable.

Chainsaw Man was well, unexpected this week... Sure saw lots of surprised reactions online, and what a change in contrast to the last chapter :/

Time Paradox Ghostwriter feels like it's something out of Futurama right now :p Marching towards an ending in I guess 2 chapters (15 is usually the magical number for a 2-volume release).

Oh, and another Manga+ series I finished: Landlock.
This really felt like Lost: The Manga, but with an ending that more people would've probably accepted. Pretty much everything was answered, except for one big glaring omission - why did the guards have to be involved if they were not criminals? They did need to take an evaluation test, but I guess were a necessity into the plan, and due to their answers, were a required accessory in the plane transport (despite whether they lived or died). Still, it was an enjoyable page-turner (er-scroller) and had some good cliffhangers that kept you reading.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ghost Reaper Girl 4

Enjoying this take on a reverse harem battle manga, each member of the harem giving our lead a different magic girl style outfit and combat style is a lot of fun.

Burn The Witch 1

Really this should be chapter 2 as it completely follows up from where the one shot ended. I didn't enjoy this as much as the one shot, maybe because Kubo felt the need to front load exposition, maybe because it's only gonna be 4 chapters so it's hard to invest in the dozen characters introduced. Either way at least the classic Kubo zanyness is fun to have back.

My Hero Academia 281

I guess Gran Torino had his power stolen by Shigaraki which would explain his sudden speed increase. Curious to see how this fight ends and the consequences going forward. Hard to go back to "normal" after this.

One Piece 988

Franky and Brook's entrance was fantastic, overall a pretty entertaining chapter.

Black Clover 261

Oh hey look, the never before seen BB Vice Captain conveniently has the exact power set needed to help train Asta. I love when we have a 6 month time skip for training only to INSTANTLY need more training. What the hell was this vice captain doing for the past year between the elf possession and the 6 months training for the spade kingdom invasion?

Jujutsu Kaisen 118

Sukuna is a lot of fun to follow, hopefully the series will find a way to have him show up more often in the real world going forward.

Chainsaw Man 81

Need to make sure your dog is loyal by destroying the last pieces of his humanity.

Dr Stone 162

Taiju being a big doof and somehow befriending two members of the enemy team is great. Cool to see Chrome taking charge as lead scientist.

We Never Learn 170

Asumi's route might be my favorite of these what if endings. Seeing her and Yuiga as adults in their professions was a really smart choice that I wish more harem series would do.

Agravity Boys 32

Did the series really just introduce an explanation for why the main cast has been so incredibly stupid over the past 30 chapters? Why? For what purpose?

Bone Collection 15

Of instantly shit canned series this had a better ending then most of them, not saying much sadly

Dolphin Cop 7

This was probably the best chapter of the series, and it was still pretty bad. All of the leads are terrible and really hurt this series.

Magu Chan 8

The panel of Magu eating the shaved ice that looks like blood had me rolling.

Mashle 27

You'd think a guy with eye cancel magic would be the most recruited person by the government since it would be the ultimate weapon against threats. No instead he's ostracized for having a power that's almost too good.

Me & Roboco 6

This was also probably the best chapter of this series, not saying much, but it made me chuckle a few times and had no bad panty jokes.

Mission Yozokura Family 47

Pretty awesome fight scene, and Taiyo getting a boost is interesting. I will absolutely rage if in 2-3 chapters were back to dumb spy comedy fluff again.

Moriking 16

Bee girl continues to be a cutie, not sure what else to say about this series it continues to be a fun time

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 13

How exactly does besting Aino make her stop working herself to death? Wouldn't losing to Teppei only further motivate her to push herself? Who cares this series is a dead man walking.

Undead Unluck 28

That was freaking hype, love how this series maximizes all of it's rules and crazy powers in smart ways.

MHA: Vigilantes 84

Why is this guy allowed to escape? This series should be wrapping up why let the bad guy get away? I guess so Crawler can beat him at full power in a bit?

Boruto 49

I like the villain being like "I don't give a fuck about this dumb shit" anymore, has made him the most interesting Boruto and Boruto's dad villain in like a decade.

Kaiju No 8 8

So strong he literally one punched the Kaiju. Still worried that the much younger girl is gonna tsundere fall for him after this which will be awkward.

Spirit Photographer One Shot

Pretty solid one shot with some good spooky ghost designs. Would like to see this become a full series down the road.

Dear Sa Chan 32

GARBAGE DAY!

So tsundere girl still loves this guy despite knowing he's a cheating scumbag. Also if everyone knows he slept with a married women why pay the hush money?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, TPGW is done. It was an interesting pitch, though I was skeptical of how they'd manage to turn it into an actual series. Seems that the plagiarism angle sunk it so quickly they never got a chance to do anything at all.

What an odd thing to have a hangup on. This is an audience that has accepted some genuinely incredibly reprehensible behavior from main characters, like, legit "go to jail and throw away the key if you do this in real life" stuff, but apparently plagiarism is a pain point.
Is there a historical context for this?

Because plagiarism being such a big deal (and not even actual plagiarism but the concept of it as a plot device) is just bizarre to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I know Toei and the anime industry in general went full scorched earth on Kenji Yamamoto after his plagiarism got exposed. He did it for years, but it wasn't until he got on TV that it happened.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a historical context for this?

Because plagiarism being such a big deal (and not even actual plagiarism but the concept of it as a plot device) is just bizarre to me.
I truly couldn't tell you. There's a cheap shot to be made about audience priorities but as for why it's like that, no clue.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wonder if TPGW's editor is in for a rough time for not realising the plagiarism element was gonna be a showstopper with the readers. Strikes me as the sort of thing they'd want an editor to catch.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ayakashi Triangle 9

Nothing happened this chapter

World's End Harem Britannia 1-5

I dunno why but these reverse harem series like Yona of the Dawn and Ghost Reaper Girl are way more enjoyable then the same premises with a male in the lead role.

Summer Time Rendering 122

More clever moves by our heroes, seriously this series needs more love

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why but these reverse harem series like Yona of the Dawn and Ghost Reaper Girl are way more enjoyable then the same premises with a male in the lead role.
Because the male-lead ones tend to get creepy and super excessive. The core dynamic - bunch of characters bouncing off each other, dripping with will they or won't they energy - that's fun. But the ones for dudes just lean into really unfortunate power dynamics and of course the fanservice is inevitably off the charts.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So Ghost Reaper Girl has gotten better regarding that pedo guy as a male lead?

I'd say it has once they introduced cat-boy.

Checked out the new Manga+ series "Excuse Me Dentist, It's Touching Me!" which sounds uhhh yeah... Apparently it was the "number one one-shot in Jump+ history". Well it's not NEARLY as ecchi as I had thought, but I think I see where they were heading with that title...

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole "you look like a loli (lolwut?)" thing has been pretty much dropped at this point. Yeah it's only 4 chapters but I don't think it's been mentioned since that opening chapter.
Briefly in the second, I think. At this point it feels like the series has moved on. Fingers crossed because it's pretty entertaining otherwise.

(Though I don't love Nyarlathotep's costume lol.)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Excuse Me Dentist 1-2

The newest Jump+ manga, a romantic comedy about a tough as nails yakuza who is afraid of women but falls in love with his beautiful dentist
who is secretly a member of the rival yakuza group
but even more then that
is actually a cross dressing man trying to get over his own fear of women

No idea where this goes, but it's entertaining enough so far.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse Me Dentist 1-2

The newest Jump+ manga, a romantic comedy about a tough as nails yakuza who is afraid of women but falls in love with his beautiful dentist
who is secretly a member of the rival yakuza group
but even more then that
is actually a cross dressing man trying to get over his own fear of women

No idea where this goes, but it's entertaining enough so far.

Yeah it was definitely NOT what I had expected from that cover art.

In another news, looks like TPG got the axe, as many expected. Next chapter will be the last. I really wish this one was able to play out longer, being one of the newer series I was actually really enjoying! I'm crossing my fingers that one of the new series will finally be "that title" that sticks around for over 200 chapters and gets all popular and mainstream.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Late post, I actually read all this on Sunday.

Ayakashi Triangle 10 - After the series seemed to deliberately not have any fanservice for the girls besides the lead, I'm a bit surprised to see it suddenly start here.

Agravity Boys 33 - This was a fun chapter. It was nice to see everyone just chilling and talking about a show.

Black Clover 262 - I have no opinions about this new guy.

Burn the Witch 2 - So this is the story we're going for with this miniseries? Still, nice to see more Kubo action.

Dr. Stone 163 - And Senku's in another relationship he doesn't care about. Curious to know what Dr. Xeno is up to, and how a scientific dogfight will go.

Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin 8 - Huh, that's a weird shift from the previous chapter. We'll see how it goes.

Jujutsu Kaisen 119 - I didn't expect the protagonist to revert at this point. I wonder what Sukuna was up to.

Magu-chan 9 - This was a good chapter. Glad the shark's OK.

Mission: Yozakura Family 48 - Someone mentioned this in the other thread, but Mutsumi's active role is nice. I'm surprised the invasion is over already. I wonder if creeper brother is coming out of the encounter with their father uninjured.

Mitama Security 47.1 - Woah, this came out of nowhere. Is this from a volume release? It was a fun extra chapter, though it feels like an attempt to retool the series back to a more action basis, oddly.

Moriking 17 - Everyone just knowing about Moriking and calling for him to solve crimes is an odd direction, but this was a fun chapter.

My Hero Academia 282 - I figured Aizawa would be the one to lose his powers; he's been a huge crutch for the other heroes.

Phantom Seer 1 - First of all, this has great art. That full page of the phantom attack was really well done, and a surprising page turn. Character designs are good too. The set up is typical and the lead guy is really annoying, though. Hopefully he calms down, or the lead girl becomes more important. Also, yes, another fucking exorcist series.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 14 (END) - That... was an ending, I guess??? I already resolved myself to this not having a good ending weeks ago.

We Never Learn 171 - I continue to find this route really cute.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Phantom Seer 1 - First of all, this has great art. That full page of the phantom attack was really well done, and a surprising page turn. Character designs are good too. The set up is typical and the lead guy is really annoying, though. Hopefully he calms down, or the lead girl becomes more important. Also, yes, another fucking exorcist series.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter 14 (END) - That... was an ending, I guess??? I already resolved myself to this not having a good ending weeks ago.

Phantom Seer has nice art, but yeah exocism again, because we haven't had enough of those (and gags). To be fair, I enjoy Roboco and Magu-chan, but Moriking is a little up and down now... Unless there's some end goal I feel like there's only do much you can do with a gag series before wrapping it up. I didn't mind seeing another random Mitama though! We almost never get those extra chapters that show up in the volumes show up in the sub!

Still, Time Paradox wrapped up probably in the best way it could, but it was just nice seeing something a bit more unique, and I think that's why a lot of people in the west seemed to really enjoy this one.

As for the Manga+ side, yet another new series shows up, another fan servicey series about a girl in Hokkaido. Looks like the series already has over 30 chapters, so maybe that means that Manga+ will start digging into some older backlog to bring out 'new' stuff on the global side of the audience. I do hope that Soloist in a Cage returns one day. Some of the most impressive manga art I've ever seen...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
(Been quiet here lately) Just some thoughts on the new series...

High School Family. Do not like :/ They went with VERY dry humor on this one, and something that I feel will do really well in Japan, but not so much in the west. It also feels something more like Manga+ content, than a WSJ one.

Our Blood Oath. You know, even if there is somewhat a demon possession element to this, it's not an exorcist series, and also one that takes itself seriously. I'm interested for more.

I also finished Demon Slayer this week, finally. Any idea WHY MAL has it listed with 207 chapters? I cannot find any official news, or even rumors that this will be a thing in the final volume, or any additional extras. I enjoyed it for what it was, but not so much the epilogue ending, which I remember hearing had some mixed feelings. It was a great final battle though, and I looked forward to seeing it animated... one day :p

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Missed last week's post. It's just too much effort to comment on every chapter.

Blood Seer has been decent. Still not a fan of the lead guy, but the art and designs are good. This is really the same artist as Tokyo Shinobi Squad? I thought the art in that was meh, not as good as this.

Our Blood Oath went a mile a minute. The characters are pretty dull and the story is super generic, right down to Literally Sephiroth in the backstory, but I dig the power gimmick and the stepbrother stuff. I'll see how it develops, but I have a feeling it will end up boring.

In Dr. Stone, love the dogfight stuff, and also the "you say we should be afraid of guns, but we don't know your rules" stuff.

Agravity Boys introducing a pet otter has to be the most blatant attempt to win over readers I've ever seen.

In Jujutsu Kaisen, I don't remember this villain at all (or rather I thought it was the same guy that died a couple chapters ago), but this fight is cool.

In One Piece, I really get the sense that Oda is skipping over a bunch of stuff with the intention of the anime filling in those moments. Drake's betrayal came out of nowhere.

In last week's My Hero Academia, it's weird to think it's actually been a pretty long time since Izuku's last new power. Heck, it's been a long time since the Float quirk came up.

In We Never Learn, the latest chapter was good with that girl's questions. I never thought the manga would seriously entertain it, but I'm glad they shut down the possibility of romance scenes between her and Nariyuki.

In Mission: Yozokura Family, I still dig the lovey-dovey chapters. Still, it does feel like the series is largely just coasting by. We're on chapter 50, and I can't imagine everything we've seen so far making for a great first season of an anime.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Drake's betrayal came out of nowhere.

We've known he was a spy for the Marines since 956. The twist this chapter however is that Who's Who and Queen already knew that, due to Drake freeing Law earlier. The last couple of chapters leading up to this made it seem like Queen and Who's Who held a personal grudge against one another, but it was a misdirect, they were talking about wanting to kill X Drake the entire time, not each other.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
We've known he was a spy for the Marines since 956. The twist this chapter however is that Who's Who and Queen already knew that, due to Drake freeing Law earlier. The last couple of chapters leading up to this made it seem like Queen and Who's Who held a personal grudge against one another, but it was a misdirect, they were talking about wanting to kill X Drake the entire time, not each other.
Yeah, I don't know why they thought Drake was a traitor out of nowhere. That was revealed ages ago.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
In Mission: Yozokura Family, I still dig the lovey-dovey chapters. Still, it does feel like the series is largely just coasting by. We're on chapter 50, and I can't imagine everything we've seen so far making for a great first season of an anime.

Yeah, a lot of it seems to flow... inconsistently. I really can't see this being an anime series either, with the way it's been. I feel like it's setting up for a climatic fight if anything, but every time I think that, we get a random cute/filler chapter.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I agree the pacing was weird. There was no payoff, it was basically between panels and then in a page he basically joins the straw hats.

This has been taking on a Paramount war kind of pacing here where there's this gigantic battle raging and everyone kind of meandering around doing their own thing.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The point is that X Drake being a spy, or them realizing that, didn't come out of nowhere.

What exactly were they waiting for if they knew all along? No new evidence was presented. They could have cornered him at any time. Maybe I missed something key (besides the fact that it made for a cool scene for a double attack)

Also it may have been the translation but X Drake's conversation right before that where he tells Apoo that if he wants to defect now's the time was really odd to me.